Secret Lover and Staying Over

The Dame

                There certainly is a lot to be said about someone with good taste when it comes to food. Jongin liked to consider himself a connoisseur when it came to food, but he was strangely nervous about introducing his favourite restaurant to Kyungsoo for dinner. He was worried that Kyungsoo wouldn’t like it but his face lightened up when Kyungsoo leaned forward to sip his juice.

                “How is it?”

                “It’s lovely.” Kyungsoo his lips and smiled. “This is a very lovely place indeed. Who knew you could find a 50s inspired diner here in Seoul?”

                “I know right? I thought my sister was lying when she bought me here once.”

                “You have a sister?”

                “I don’t have a sister. I have two.” He laughed. “What about you?”

                “I have an older brother. He’s already married with kids now.” Kyungsoo shrugged. “It’s been a while since I talked to him. He’s always travelling and working.”

                “Do you miss that?”

                “Sometimes. We were really close when we were kids, even if he did try to give me wedgies while I sleep and hid my teddy bears as a prank.”

                “My sisters never did that. They just tried to put make-up on my face and made me carry all their packages when we go shopping.” Jongin rolled his eyes. The food arrived and the two of them started eating, swapping stories of their childhood and discussing the day’s events.

                Prior to coming here for dinner, Jongin and Kyungsoo had inspected Driver Kim’s room. However there was hardly anything in there. The room was very neat and tidy, and according to Kyungsoo, it was also unlived. The layer of dust on his dresser indicated that nothing had moved in a while, maybe a few weeks at most. Driver Kim was no longer staying at his employer’s mansion. Perhaps he had moved.

                “I think it’s nice that we have a slightly clearer idea of how The Dame was murdered. We still don’t know what substance killed her, and who has more motive than the other.”

                “I hope whoever killed her sleeps well tonight, because we are gonna get him soon.” Jongin laughed. “It’ll be great to put some closure for those who need it.”

                “Yeah that’s true.” Kyungsoo nodded, taking a bite of his vegetable mix.

                “Can I ask you a question?”

                “Sure.”

                “How did you get involved in this? You know, spy work and stuff.”

                “Well,” he paused for a while, thinking about how he was going to start. “I was a law major at first, but I only did law because my parents wanted me to. What I really wanted was to study robotics and engineering, but my parents claimed that would make me more of a nerd than I already was.”

                “So you’ve been into inventing stuff for a while?”

                “Not just for a while. I’ve been at it ever since I was a kid. I used to enjoy taking apart appliances to see how they worked inside. I tore apart the family toaster and was grounded for a week.” Kyungsoo snorted, slightly embarrassed by his earlier memories.

                “Wow, I used to get grounded because I didn’t do my homework.”

                “Anyways, Baekhyun and I met in college. He lived on the same floor with me where he took up P.E. He got the job as a P.I.E Trainee first, then afterwards he told me about his company looking for inventors and engineers. They were willing to hire amateurs who were interested and then send for training. So I started out as a research assistant. I did a bit of law only when needed. Suho was impressed by my work he asked me to train to become a special agent.”

                “And the rest of it is history?”

                “You said it. I hated it at first though.”

                “You did? Then why did you even agree to it in the first place?”

                “Baekhyun begged me. He said he didn’t want to do it with anyone of the other trainees. He said they were all foolish s.”

                “Were they?”

                “They weren’t that bad, they were just jealous.” Kyungsoo chuckled. “Baekhyun outshined everyone on the first day and he can be a bit of a blowhard sometimes. Why do you think the others hated him?”

                “Good point.”

                “I was surprised I made it through the end much less be selected.” Kyungsoo thought about how many years ago, he was so shocked to hear he was chosen as an official P.I.E Agent.

                “I felt the same way when I finished Journalism Camp.” Jongin nodded, sharing his own story. “There were about 300 other people, all with the same dream. Only 30 people were going to make the cut at the end of the camp and be hired by legitimate newspaper offices.”

                “Are you still working for the same office?”

                “No, I’m a freelancer now.” Jongin shook his head. “The office kind of…let me go. I’m still scouting around for other options. The last report I made about The Dame was one of my most popular pieces.”

                “I read that. You are a great writer Jongin.”

                “That may be so, but I don’t know if I want to go back to journalism. There is so much politics, war and general mundaneness I suppose.” Jongin sighed. “I have been working on a collection of poems for a while now but I don’t know where that will take me.”

                “Maybe you can be a poet! Are your poems any good?”

                “I…I’m a bit embarrassed to say.”

                “Oh come on, they are not that bad.”

                “They are about love, Kyungsoo.”

                “So? Lots of poems are about love. What’s wrong with that?”

                Jongin shook his head repeatedly. “Not now. Just trust me.”

                “Okay.” Kyungsoo tried to hide his disappointed face and look down instead. He looked back up after a couple of minutes, waiting for the awkward moment to just pass. He wondered what kind of thoughts a man like Jongin must hold, and what kind of love he has been through. What are his words like? What goes through his mind? What does he think of before he goes to sleep?

                “I’ll show it to you one day.” Jongin said, reaching for Kyungsoo’s hand. “One day, when they are ready, you will be the first to see.”

                “7 million people in this world, and you want me to be the first?”

                “Yeah, funny how that works eh?” Jongin smiled and chuckled to himself, a beautiful smile painted across his handsome face and Kyungsoo can’t help but laugh along. “Kyungsoo, have you ever been in love?”

                “Yes.” He nodded. “His name was Insung, and he was my first love in high school. He was a senior while I was a freshman, and I worshipped the ground he walked on.”

                “Did it work out for you?”

                “It did, but only briefly. He moved away and we never saw each other again. I don’t actually remember dating him, probably because I spent the whole time trying to believe that someone liked him could love someone like me.”

                “Why?”

                “He was the most popular boy in school and I was the nerd. He had the whole school fawning for him and he chose me.”

                “I can see why.” Jongin smiled, resting his head on his palm. “You are exquisite.”

                “Really?” Kyungsoo blushed a bright pink. “Thank you. So are you.” Jongin giggled and so did Kyungsoo. And that’s how they were the rest of the night. Just giggles and shy glances. Stories and small compliments. Jongin’s hands never left his, and Kyungsoo’s eyes never left his.

                “Jongin?”

                “Yes?”

                “Have you ever been in love?”

                “Yes.”

                “How does that feel for you?”

                “Eerily similar to what I feel now.”

                                                                                       **********************

                “Will you look at this?” Chanyeol was scrolling through his phone while he waited outside of the Costa Rican General Hospital with Baekhyun. “The Dame’s COD was oleandric acid poisoning.”

                “What is that?” Baekhyun took the phone in his hand and read the autopsy report himself.

                “It’s the poison from an oleander plant, a small shrub with pink flowers. The high concentration of the plant’s poison was what killed her instantly.”

                “I’ve never seen a plant like that before. Could she have accidentally consumed it?”

                “I’m sending the report to Jongin and Kyungsoo and get them to scour the area for oleander plant and any other known florist who has this plant. Also ask them to do a background check on our mysterious driver.”

                “Forget the background check, just do a DNA test straight away. We don’t have time.” Baekhyun almost flung the phone out of his hands with the way they were moving. So The Dame was murdered. That just threw all suspicion of suicide out of the window, and with the recent discovery of her missing son and the use of a rather rare plant poison, it seemed like this case’s walls were coming down.

                “We’ve gotten the medical records.” Jungkook came out from the building with his partner in tow. “It’s going to take them a few days to translate but they will fax it over once it’s done. Theen you guys will now everything there is to know about The Dame’s injuries while she was here.”

                “We have to go back to South Korea. The full autopsy report is out and with the new lead on our hands it’s time to go back and nab the killer.” Chanyeol urged. He was turning his head when Baekhyun grabbed his arm.

                “So soon? But we only just landed yesterday! Can’t we stay a little longer? I haven’t seen my babies in years!” he whined. Jungook, Taehyung and Baekhyun were very close during their trainee years and indeed it has been a while since they last saw each other. The whole reason why Baekhyun insisted on coming was to see them (maybe half of the reason at least) and aside from work he really didn’t get much time with them.

                “Baek the killer…”

                “The killer is not going anywhere, because if he or she wanted to they would have left ages ago.” Baekhyun started to plead. “Let’s stay for one more night please.”

                “I agree. You don’t come to Costa Rica very often, why not take the opportunity to relax and do a little sightseeing?”

                “You have to come to our club, in the very least. How could you say you were in San Jose without visiting La Noche.”

                “La Noche?”

                “That means The Night in Spanish.” Taehyung smiled. “Come on now, we’ve got drinks, food, hot ladies, hot men, music…”

                “I’m not sure I….”

                “Please.” Baekhyun pouted, holding onto Chanyeol’s arm and swinging it a little. Chanyeol sighed heavily and avoided looking into Baekhyun’s puppy dog eyes. But it was no use. The stupid whining was actually working.

                “Fine. I know when I’m .”

                “YEAH!!!!” the three agents threw their hands in the hair, bouncing up and down in their spots. “Let’s go and get something to eat! We’ve got Casado, Gallo Pinto, Ceviche…”

                “You are going to ty everything.” Taehyung had already grabbed Chanyeol’s arm and dragged him into the car. The normal Chanyeol would just sigh and give up, but in case you haven’t realized, Chanyeol hasn’t been acting much like himself for a while. Baekhyun was smiling and laughing, one arm around Jungkook’s as he entered the car. There was a bright smile on his face and Chanyeol couldn’t help but smile himself. The sun in Costa Rica is hot and bright, but nothing seemed brighter than Baekhyun’s glowing smile.

***************

                “Nerium oleander is an evergreen shrub or small tree in the dogbane family Apocynaceae, toxic in all its parts. It is the only species currently classified in the genus Nerium. It is most commonly known as oleander, from its superficial resemblance to the unrelated olive Olea. It is so widely cultivated that no precise region of origin has been identified, though southwest Asia has been suggested. The ancient city of Volubilis in Morocco may have taken its name from the Berber name oualilt for the flower. Oleander is one of the most poisonous of commonly grown garden plants.” Jongin read off of Wikipedia as Kyungsoo drove them to Hani’s mansion.

                “I don’t care about the plant and where it’s from, I wanna know who’s ordering them and who works with it.” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

                “Yeah but if you know nothing about the plant then what’s the point?” Jongin twirled his head around, exercising his neck. “What are we here for anyways? I thought we were supposed to check Driver Kim’s background?”

                “I have a hunch he’s staying at Hani’s house. If he is having an affair with her, why would he still stay at his old employers place?” Kyungsoo pulled the car into parking by the side of the pavement. “Let’s get ready.”

                “Here?”

                “Let’s not get too close yet.” Kyungsoo pulled out his iPad and a screen showing all security cameras in and outside the mansion. “Thank god I hacked into this before.”

                “So what do we do now?”

                “Lie through our teeth.” Kyungsoo pulled out a bag from the back seat. “Jongin, how good are you at lying?”

                “I did some acting in college. Does that count?”

                “Good, now Mr. Kai,” Kyungsoo grinned, opening the bag and pulling out some dark-coloured clothing. “I believe you and I have an appointment with Mr. Kim Jongdae.”

                “Why yes. I do hope he agrees on the investment in the Monaco Tea Company.” Jongin pulled out a white dress shirt. “We have to change in here?!”

                “Of course.”

                “But…I…”

                “Jongin, are you afraid of changing in front of me?”

                “No, it’s just that I was worried things would be awkward.”

                “We don’t have the luxury of being awkward with each other. If Baekhyun and Chanyeol came this close to ing, you and I can change in front of each other.” Kyungsoo wasted no time in stripping himself out of his T-shirt. He was working on his jeans while Jongin turned in his seat, trying not to look over.

                This was a car, so everything reflects. And Kyungsoo has very very nice skin.

                Keep it in your pants Jongin.

                They changed quickly and Kyungsoo started the car again, driving into Hani and Jongdae’s driveway. They were invited inside by the staff and asked to wait for a while as Mr. Kim’s meeting was delayed. “Mr. Kim will be home in an hour.”

                “What about his wife?” Kyungsoo asked casually.

                “In about 15 minutes, are you interested in talking to her as well?”

                “Perhaps we will call on her as courtesy but in the mean time we would like the chance to walk around your gorgeous compound. Please when she arrives don’t mention us.”

                “Yes, such a shame we never got to enjoy much of it the last time and we don’t want to bother her.” Jongin smiled, following the act.

                “Very well sir.” The maid bowed her head politely and left the waiting room. Kyungsoo looked around the room. “Want to take a walk with me?”

                “Are you serious in wanting to take a walk outside? It’s hot and we’re in suits.” Jongin fumbled with his shirt collar, gasping like a puppy in the sun.

                “I need an aerial spot to send my fly-cam.” Kyungsoo patted his chest pocket. “The signal in this room is terrible, we have to move to a more open spot.”

                Jongin had no choice but to comply, despite the heat outside. The two of them headed out into the compound and sat at a lakeside pagoda. There were only a few gardeners around and they were too busy with their own work to care. Kyungsoo pulled out his phone, his headset and a tiny little mechanical fly.

                “I thought this only existed in the movies.” Jongin stared at the tiny mechanical insect.

                “There are lots of technology that only exists in the world of military and counter-espionage. The movies exaggerate them but where do you think we get our ideas?” the fly started buzzing like a real one and it started to take off. And just like a real one, it fly at an incredible speed, with Kyungsoo controlling it on his tablet.

                “Oh my god it’s Hani!” Jongin pointed to one of the cameras that showed a Rolls Royce coming into the driveway. The driver had a familiar face, and it was Driver Kim indeed. Hani got out of the car, dressed smartly and carrying a Michael Kors bag, she trotted up the front steps of her entrance in her sky high heels and entered the house. The maids fussed over her for a bit and she went upstairs into her room.

                “Where’s the driver?” Jongin asked.

                “He’s coming in.” Kyungsoo pointed, enlarging the fly camera screen. Minseok was seen taking off his driver’s cap and jacket, and making his way up a set of stairs. It was unfamiliar at first, but he soon appeared on the same hallway as Hani’s room. He knocked on her door and Jongin held his breath.

                “Oh god this is like watching a movie.”

                “One of the many perks of my job.” Kyungsoo smiled. “It won’t last that long too.”

                The fly-cam followed Minseok into Hani’s room. It found itself on Hani’s curtain, it’s head angling up to get a good shot. Hani had taken her hair out of her bun and her feet out of her heels. She was removing her makeup and getting ready for a shower.

                “I told you to do it.” Minseok said, standing them with his arms crossed.

                “It’s not as easy as you think.”

                “How long are you going to let this happen? How long are you going to let him treat you like this?”

                “Will you leave me alone? I’ll do it tonight I promise!” Hani stood up from her seat.

                “Do what?!?!?” Jongin half screamed as he gripped Kyungsoo’s arm tightly. Kyungsoo shushed him and shrugged him off. “We are undercover!!”

                “You better.” Minseok pulled Hani near him, taking her into his arms. “Then you and I can be together.”

                “Oh my god.” Jongin grabbed his chest dramatically.

                “You are going to lose your job.”

                “I have a degree to back me up. You can always hire me in your factory.” He smiled confidently. He closed his eyes and leaned forward to kiss Hani. Hani wrapped her arms around Minseok’s neck, with no obvious plans of letting go.

                Her hands were in his hair.

                His hands were under her shirt.

                They both fall on the bed.

                And the fly-cam started moving.

                “That’s right, get closer!”

                “Are you insane Kim Jongin?!” Kyungsoo punched his arm. “We are spying, not watching a free show!!”

                “So it’s not the same thing?” Jongin rubbed his arm, pouting away.

                “We have to move.” Kyungsoo sat up in his seat, tapping on the screen. “It’s time for the second part of this mission.”

                “Which is?”

                “We need a sample of his Minseok’s DNA.”

 

A/N: I'm sorry this is up a little late, I've been busy with school work TT Chemical engineering is not easy.

Thanks for all the comments and support! Keep showing them! Love you guys!