MIDNIGHT (pt. 1)

Kill, Live, Win, Repeat.

MIDNIGHT

 

"Alright kids, come along now!" A voice boomed out from nowhere. Everyone looked around, trying to see where it came from. No one was around, making them even more confused, and above all, scared. They were traumatized by what happened before, and sadly, that was nothing compared to the things stored in for them in the near future.

"Didn't I tell you all to move your bottoms up, or do I have to repeat myself?" The Voice boomed again. This time, one by one, they all hesitantly stood up to their feets. Their eyes were all over the place, still trying to find the source of The Voice.

"Stop looking, for I am merely a voice in your heads." The Voice said again, sounding impatient. The boys were nervous, although they tried hard not to show it. Sometimes they glanced towards each other, as if reassuring themselves that they’re not alone in this, and it seemed to work.

"Okay, since we don't have much time, the initiation process will be sped up. As you can see, we're still missing two players, but worry not. They'll come around." The Voice explained.

If one asks what this voice sounds like exactly, it would be difficult to explain. The Voice is barely a whisper, but still, it sounds so clear in their heads, so familiar. The Voice goes along with the breeze, soothing but firm at the same time, if that was even possible.

"Now if you all would just spread about the area," The Voice demanded. The players hurriedly scattered farther from each other, but of course they still stood nearest with the ones they felt most comfortable with. "Good, good, my obedient little boys. And now we should be able to start." The Voice cheerfully beamed.

The night sky seems just a slight bit darker than before, as if the stars, including the moon, had been wiped out from the galaxy and replaced by black holes instead. Each player impatiently waited for the next instruction as they stood on their posts, tapping their foots and fingers rhythmically.

They heard The Voice humming a slow tune. Xiumin bit his lip in frustration. When is it ever going to start? He looked around and observed the others. Yixing was smiling to himself, seeming content. Kyungsoo was focusing on one spot in front of him creepily, his eyebrows furrowed. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were glancing towards each other nervously. Kai fiddled with his fingers. Sehun and Luhan were staring at each other, and Kris was doing just fine, looking bored.

The crickets were settled peacefully in the distance, creating that cricket noise that brings so much serenity. It's the noise that plays a big part in nature's sense of peacefulness. If it weren't for the serious reality they were facing, they could actually be enjoying themselves right now. The scene before them was almost perfect; the stars, the green landscape, the trees, the crickets, the cool night breeze, and the fireflies hovering above their heads.

Just as the players were starting to feel comfortable by the silent and peaceful night, The Voice decided to boom once again, making them jump in surprise and groan in annoyance.

"Okay! Enough of the peacefulness. Let's start now, shall we? And yes, for real this time," The Voice paused as it took a deep breath. "Now, I want you all to close your eyes." They all followed the command given and closed their eyes hesitantly.

"Good. Now, enjoy the scene played right before you."

 

And suddenly out of nowhere, with their eyes shut tight, each one of them could see something as clear as day. Some of them fidgeted nervously, some swayed back and forth, and some had their eyebrows joined together, focusing on the scene and trying to come up with their own explanations. One by one, they all reopened their eyes slowly.

"I want you all to voice what you see before. Starting from you, Kim Jongdae." The Voice announced. Chen was taken aback, not expecting the sudden statement. He gulped.

“I saw--”

“With just one word, please.” The Voice said, cutting him off, which made Chen even more nervous than before. He felt goosebumps invading his whole body. He can feel everyone else’s eyes set right on him. He could even feel the eyes of The Voice judging him from his head to his toes, and he’s not even sure if it has eyes.

Chen tried again. “Lightning.” He mumbled out nervously.

“You know what, nevermind, that’s too hard. Describe what you see instead. Next, Do Kyungsoo.” The Voice said. Chen groaned in disbelief. The Voice was surely having fun. At least someone’s enjoying themselves, he thought with a chuckle, shaking his head.

Kyungsoo took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. “I saw a mess. Things were being thrown around here and there. It was nothing but a complete mess.” He announced, frowning to himself. Chanyeol shuddered.
    “Good. Park Chanyeol?”

Chanyeol took a deep breath. “Flame. Fire all over the place… It was scary.” Chanyeol shivered, remembering the vision.

“Byun Baekhyun.”

“Light. Blinding ray of light. That’s all, really.” Baekhyun shrugged, lips pursed.

“Wu Yifan.”

“A flying bird.” He said nonchalantly. Yixing coughed back a laugh.

“Kim Minseok.”

“Winter. Ice. Cold.” Xiumin muttered.

“Oh Sehun.”

“Tornado.” Sehun said as he imitated the sound of wind with his mouth. Kai chuckled seeing Sehun’s plainess.

“Luhan.”

“... Ah… I can’t quite describe this… It’s quite difficult. ” Luhan stuttered out. The others stared at him, wondering what he saw in his vision. “I guess it was some sort of… communication? Both with objects, and with humans? I guess--”

“Telekinesis? Whoa!” Kai yelled out as he clapped.

Luhan nodded shyly. “Yes, that.”

“All right,” The voice boomed again. “Next up, Zhang Yixing.”

“Dead people rising. Zombies! They don’t quite look like zombies, though. Guess I healed them!” Yixing said, chuckling happily. The others chuckled along with him.

“Last, Kim Jongin?”

“Travelling from one place to another, real quick. Teleportation, I suppose.” Kai said with a smile plastered on his face. The others looked at him with excitement in their eyes.