Twenty-four.

The Single Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter Twenty-Four.

 

..

Yixing was a mess; he hadn't left Hana's side for hours. Soojung slightly glanced over at the haggard looking Yixing, she was pretty sure it had been a while since he ate. Baekhyun was asleep on the side, none of them wanted to leave Hana alone. They were silently hoping the girl would wake up for it had been nearly 48 hours since she had been out of anesthesia, the doctors had hoped she would wake up by now.

 

Hana's room had been filled with a lot of flower bouquets and a bunch of get-well-soon cards. Kyungsoo had stayed for a while whenever he got time off from his shift, although he couldn't bear looking at the sight of the fragile, limp girl. He had prayed she’d get up any minute and everything would be miraculously fine. They were about to finish their internship, Hana and him were supposed to become residents together. She was supposed to help him study, but here she was almost struggling to keep herself alive. He decided to busy himself with work so he wouldn't have to think about it.

 

"Oppa," Soojung called out to Yixing softly. He looked at her with tired, blood-shot eyes. She felt sorry for him, he had been blaming himself for everything that had happened, even though the both of them, Baekhyun and she had tried to convince him otherwise.

"Please eat something… you've been here for so long."

 

Soojung knew she had to stay strong and take care of her husband and Yixing. She had even visited the chapel attached to the hospital a couple of times, praying for the girl's life. She may have been jealous of Hana at one point, she may have wanted Hana to disappear from her life permanently at one point, but right now all she wanted was Hana to wake up. Hana was a great girl who had gone through a lot in her life, she didn't deserve this. It seemed as if she had finally found her happiness with Yixing but fate had decided to play a cruel joke on them. She would have given anything for the girl to be fine.

 

Yixing, who had been too tired to even say anything, slightly shook his head, hoping she’d understand. He had no appetite; he just wished for Hana to wake up so he could hold her in his arms and never let her go.

 

"Oppa, please. I'll stay with Hana," Soojung insisted again, he really needed to eat. He seemed like he’d collapse any minute, she wanted him to stay strong for Hana.

Yixing got up from his seat lifelessly before pecking Hana's bandaged forehead gently. He had pleaded for hours and hours for her to wake up, hoping she would actually listen to him, but the girl hadn't even budged a finger.

 

 

He had involuntarily ingested some food from the cafeteria; the chief patted his shoulder slightly as he passed by him. Almost everybody seemed to be sympathetic towards him, but Yixing couldn't care less. He just wanted Hana to be by his side. Even as a top-class surgeon, who saved hundreds of lives, he was rendered helpless. He couldn’t do a thing to get the girl he loved to wake up and be alright. What use was it? He had pledged to save the lives of people, hoping that maybe he’d be rewarded for it and that his loved ones would stay out of harm’s way. But, it didn’t seem to matter. Perhaps, he was cursed, he thought. Maybe he was never meant to find happiness with the people he loved.

 

 

Soojung ran frantically in search of Yixing, she finally found him walking back to Hana's room. Her eyes lit up as she saw him. He didn't need to be told anything, when he met her gaze he knew, he just knew. He almost ran into the girl's room, she was being crushed into a hug by Baekhyun.

When her eyes met his, she smiled softly. However, she didn't fail to notice how fatigued and miserable he looked, she didn't like it one bit. 

 

"Hi," she said as he walked towards her, her voice slightly croaky.

 

"Hey, baby," he smiled. He showered almost her entire face with soft kisses as tears threatened to fall from his eyes. Soojung hugged Baekhyun and smiled at him warmly. Hana had woken up; everything would be alright from now on.

 

"You look terrible," she teased, laughing slightly while she gently ran her delicate fingers through his hair. Yixing buried his face into the crook of her neck, holding her tightly; he shuddered sobbing uncontrollably. He was beyond overwhelmed, Hana was alright. She was going to be fine, and he was never going to let anything bad happen to her anymore.

 

"It's okay. I'm fine. See, I'm fine," she coaxed, his back to calm him down. She was tired as hell, but didn't want to show it. Not when Yixing was sobbing like this, not when Baekhyun looked so miserable. She would stay strong for them.

                                                                                             

 ****

 

 

"What are the signs of a central line infection?"

 

"Pus, fever and redness."

 

"What's the strongest layer of the small intestine?"

 

"Submucosa!"

 

Hana ate the bland food Yixing was feeding her, while his other hand held her little flash-cards she had been using for her upcoming intern exam.

 

"You're going to do great, I'm sure you'll top the rest." Yixing beamed at her and pecked her lips. He had groomed himself slightly to look presentable in front of Hana. Hana had shooed Baekhyun and Soojung away stating they couldn't spend their honeymoon in the hospital. They had been slightly hesitant to leave, but Hana had refused to eat until they left. So, they had

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter