One.

The Single Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"The best part of moving on is meeting someone new."

                                                                                                         


Chapter One.

 

 

..

 

 

She was lost on her first day of work. Moreover, she was running late, all thanks to Baekhyun, her best-friend, who had failed to wake her up in the morning while she was snoring away to glory. Yes, if you were thinking, Baekhyun and she shared an apartment, mostly because they'd been best-friends since forever and also they thought it would be a wonderful way to spend some time together, as they had both been busy with their own professional lives otherwise. She frantically ran towards the elevator, after a kind nurse told her where she was supposed to report, only to be met with closed doors. Not wanting to waste anymore time, she raced down the hall to take the stairs.

 

'Damn it,' she cursed as she strode across the stairs to her destination with her four-inch heels, which was safe to say, not meant for running with – especially not through a flight of stairs. She didn't know why out of all days, she chose to wear them today. But then again, it wasn’t like she had time to pick a proper outfit after getting up so late. Deciding to ignore the pain in her ankles, she continued to make her way through the stairs.

 

She glanced at her watch to curse again; she was going to be in trouble. She doubted if she'd make a good impression on her Resident if she were to show up late. She silently hoped her Resident would be some kind-hearted person who'd overlook her tardiness. Having to spend the entire year training under her Resident, she expected to make a good first impression. After all, she'd waited for this day to come anticipatively.

 

She finally managed to find the seminar hall, where supposedly all the new interns were being briefed about what they were expected to do in the forth-coming term. As she opened the door to the hall, she found her fellow interns already being grouped under different Residents, who were meant to guide them throughout the year.

 

She cursed once more when she found out that all of them were pretty much grouped, except for her, and she had no idea who she was grouped under. While she was looking around desperately to find her resident, she heard a curt voice.

 

"Over here, Dr. Song."

 

She looked over to find a man in his late-twenties –well she assumed he would be in his late twenties, with jet-black hair and an almost stoical face, who was looking at her intently. He certainly didn't seem very kind-hearted, instead he looked very unimpressed. Gulping nervously, she waded across the room to make her way towards him and a bunch of others, who seemed like her fellow interns.

 

"You're late by 11 minutes, Dr.Song,” he said without glancing at his watch. "Do you know how important every minute is to a surgeon? Just a few minutes late and there's irreversible damage to your brain, less than five minutes, your patient dies." He snapped his fingers to stress on to his point."What will you say to their family, Dr. Song? That your tardiness caused their loved one to die? That you wore dainty shoes to work which didn't let you move faster?"

 

She could hear a few people sniggering behind her while she was being confronted by the man, whom she knew by now, was her Resident. How on Earth had he managed to notice her shoes? She looked down slightly before muttering a small apology, hoping he would take her apology into account and let it slide this time. She knew arriving late to work on the first day wasn't exactly the right foot to start on.

"I'm really sorry," she looked up to shoot a discreet, nervous glance at him, “it won’t happen again.” She silently prayed he’d be merciful. But it certainly didn’t seem like it.

 

"It better not,” he replied in the same curt voice. “I've already told the rest of them what is expected of you. You shall learn from them." He turned towards the rest of the interns, with the same unimpressed look on his face."And I do not expect anyone to fail in your examinations at the end of this year. If I feel you are not up to the mark, I may expel you out of this program anytime. I expect you guys to be on your toes and answer every time you are paged. Do you understand?"

He waited for his interns to nod as he barked his orders, “Dismissed.” And with that, he made his way out of the hall, without sparing anyone a second look.

 

She heaved a sigh of relief before turning to look at her colleagues. Soon she learnt that the man was Dr. Zhang, one of the most successful general surgeons in the whole of Seoul. He had proven to be more skillful than many of his seniors and contemporaries. And he had successfully managed to carry out plenty of new and upcoming methods of surgery rather adeptly. People looked up to him, hoping to achieve what he had achieved in such a short span in his career; she too was one of them. She hadn't had to opportunity to ever meet him, so she had no idea what the man looked like. Now that she finally got to see him, she didn't know what to think. She knew he was fairly young

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter