Chapter 8

Trust Me Your Heart

            “Are we lost?”

            “Nope. We just made a wrong turn.”

            “We’re lost, aren’t we?”

            “Of course not. We just have to turn right here… and another right turn…”

            “We are lost.” Kyungsoo sighed while looking around the dark part of the forest where he and Kai entered. “Let’s just go back where we came from.”

            “It’s easy if there’s any light around here. But in our case, even the moonlight is not enough for us to see the right trail.”

            “Why did you choose to pass through here, anyway? As you can see, this is a forest.”

            “Shortcut.”

            “Shortcut? Your shortcut is the reason why we’re lost.”

            “I know this place.”

            “Yes, in daylight.”

            “If you’re complaining, go ahead, get down and go back where we came from. If you know the way.”

            No way. Kyungsoo has no any plans on going back alone and to be separated with Kai in this dark place. Why Kai doesn’t remember the way through this forest?

            “Let go of me for a while, Soo.”

            “Huh? Why?”

            “I’ll walk on foot. Maybe I can recognize the trails.”

            “If you’ll get down, I’ll get down too.”

            “Okay. There are no wild animals here anyway.”

            The problem is, Kyungsoo’s foot was caught in one of the stirrups so he lost his balance. He fell down on Kai who caught him but he wasn’t able to prepare. They both fell down on the ground. Kyungsoo also heard Kai gasp. Because of the darkness, he can’t see how badly injured Kai is so he just touches Kai’s face and body.

            “Kai, are you okay? Did you break a bone? Can you feel any blood flowing out of your body? Say something!”

            “I’m fine.” Then he felt Kai’s arms s around his body and pull him down towards his. “Really fine, Soo.”

            A weird feeling creep into him, especially when Kai’s hot breath grazes his ear. The next thing he knows is that Kai’s soft lips is pressed on his cheeks while his hand is gently caressing his hair and back.

            “I just couldn’t forget your scent.” Kai continues. “Neither your face. How I long to have you this close to me.”

            Kyungsoo gulped. He feels like his body is being set on fire while they are in that situation. Especially when Kai’s lips slowly made its way to Kyungsoo’s. He knew their lips were only a feather’s away from each other as his hot breath brushed against his nose.

            And then their lips met. It felt so good that it almost took his breath away. Kyungsoo just closed his eyes and let his feelings think and act for him. Because he knows that whatever happens, he won’t regret anything.

            Kyungsoo loved Kai for what he was. He had loved him despite everything he knew about him. He doesn’t even know why. He just loved Kai with all of his heart. And maybe Kai is right when he said that Kyungsoo liked him for a while. It was suppressed because of Kai’s activities. But it was still there, hiding and waiting for the right time to come out and reveal himself to him.

            Kyungsoo’s love for Kai is unfair. He doesn’t even have a time to prepare for it. But he’s happy. Now he finally knew why those men from his past weren’t enough for him. Because they are not Kai. There’s no one who can be equal to his level because he set Kai as a standard for the men that came to his life. And no one had been enough for him. Unless it was Jongin himself.

            He responded to Kai’s kisses thinking that the next scene would be hotter. But it didn’t happen. The truth is, he noticed that Kai’s lips are slowly drawing away from his lips.

            Is it done? Is this all just a dream? Is it just a joke for Kai? If the answer is all yes, he doesn’t feel any anger or annoyance. Kai said he only wanted him for a while. And he had him for a while. He won’t protest. Because he will make the request next time. And when that happens, he’ll make sure that he will not request Kai to be with him “for a while”.

            Kyungsoo felt Kai touch the side of his cheek. “Funny how fate works. The only man I ever wanted is the very same man I could never ever have.”

            “Kai…?” Was he talking about him? But–

            “Take Kitty and ride back to the house, Soo.” Kai said in a soft voice. “You don’t have to worry because she memorized this place.

            “Wait! What do you mean, Kitty memorized this place?”

            “It’s my fault. It’s not true that we are lost. We’re still on the right track. And you can easily go back to my house from here.”

            “Kim Jongin!” Kyungsoo angrily shouted his name. “Why are you fooling me like this?”

            “I told you. I wanted to have you for a while. All to myself.”

            That’s it and his annoyance to Kai suddenly dissolves. He sat straight beside Kai. Even if he can’t see him well, he can clearly see Kai’s face. And it’s better if they can’t see each other’s faces. In the darkness of the forest, he could hide his true feelings.

            “You kissed me, Kai.”

            “I’m aware of that.”   

            “What does that kiss mean?” Kai didn’t answer. Kyungsoo felt something stab his heart. “Are you playing with my feelings like what you did to your other women?”

            Still, there was no answer from Kai. Kyungsoo felt that his tears are threatening to fall. the right person for you, you can’t really avoid to hurt someone.” Those were Kai’s exact words when he confronted him before. And he understands that. “In loving someone, you can’t help but to hurt others, especially hurt yourself.

            “I’ll go back.” Kyungsoo said while preparing to leave. “I’ll just wait for you at Junmyeon’s house. I can’t ride a horse so I can’t take Kitty with me.”

            “No… take her… with you.”

            Kyungsoo felt a bit concerned for Kai when he heard his faltering voice. He kneeled beside him again.

            “Kai, is something wrong with you?”

            “I’m fine… I just had a little bump on my head. That’s all.”

            “Bump?” Kyungsoo touched Kai’s head, and then he gasped. That’s when his worry came in. “What are you thinking, Kai? Why didn’t you tell me that you have an injury? Are you planning on always making my life miserable? I would really hit you if you don’t have any injury.”

            He heard Kai chuckle. At least, he was still conscious. But he wasn’t sure if how worse is Kai’s injury when they fell earlier.

            “You need to be brought in the hospital. Can you stand?”

            “I think so.”

            Kyungsoo assisted Kai to stand up. “Can you still ride Kitty? I’m really sorry but this is the only way I know to bring you to the clubhouse. The staff can help you.”

            “Just help me get on Kitty’s back. But you’ll have to take the rein for me.”

            “I don’t know–”

            Kai pressed his cheek on his ear. “I’ll ride with you. I’ll just be at your back. Don’t worry…”

            Kai’s voice gave Kyungsoo courage. And maybe because of his concern to Kai, he carefully helped him to get on the horse. Then it’s his turn to get on Kitty’s back. He doesn’t know how he did that without any difficulty when he needs Kai’s help the first time he rode his horse. It’s even his fault when he went down the horse and Kai injured himself. But it’s not important anymore. What’s important now is that he will bring Kai to the clubhouse so that they can give him an immediate treatment.

            “Hold the rein tightly.” Kai whispered. He was loosely holding on to his body and most of his weight was on Kyungsoo.

            So he knows that Kai’s condition is not good. “Stay with me, Kai. Stay with me or… or I’ll push you off the horse.”

            “You’re really brave, Do Kyungsoo.” He felt Kai bury his face on his hair. “I’ll stay with you. Don’t worry.”

            “If that’s the case, then tighten your hold on me.”

            “Like this…?”

            Kai’s hold on his body tightens. But it wasn’t as strong as he anticipated. But it was an improvement.

            “Let’s go, Kitty.” Kyungsoo ordered the horse and she walked.

 

-----------------------------

 

            “What happened to him?”

            Kyungsoo looked at the uniformed man that comes up to them when he and Kai arrived at the first stable that they pass through in their way to the clubhouse. “Kai had an accident in the forest. His head hit something hard. I didn’t know what that thing is because it’s dark there. Can you please give him immediate medical attention?”

            With the help of the other staffs that the man called, they helped bring down an unconscious Kai to the ground. Then they helped him down too.

            “We already called the medical staff, Sir Siwon. They are on their way here.”

            “Good.” The guy called Siwon turned to Kyungsoo. “And you are…?”

            “Kyungsoo–”

            “Ah, Kai’s man.”

            Kyungsoo wasn’t able to ask him how he knew his name when the medical staff had arrived. He felt that a weight has been lifted off his chest while looking at Kai’s face inside the medical van. They are on their way to the club’s clinic when Kai’s eyes open.

            “Soo…”

            “I’m here.” Kyungsoo blinked to prevent his tears from falling. “Are you okay?”

            “I think so…”

            “You’re an idiot. Why didn’t you tell me that you bumped your head when I fell to you?”

            “I don’t want you to worry.”

            “You want me to stab you with the syringe? How will I not be worried, when I know that you’re hurt? I’m not a stone, Kai.”

            Kai just gave him a weak smile and closed his eyes again. Kyungsoo pulled the sleeve of the medical attendant that is with them inside the van.

            “What’s wrong with him? Why is he asleep again?”

            “We can run a complete test with him at the clinic, Sir. We have complete facilities there. I’m sorry, Sir.”

            “Will he be okay?”

            “The fact that he’s conscious until now, I think that’s a good sign he’s going to be okay.”

            Kyungsoo doesn’t trust his words. Howsoever, he held on to the man’s words so that he will not faint from too much worrying over Kai. He wants to transfer Kai to a hospital in Seoul so that he can be treated properly. But his mind changed when he saw that the club’s clinic has more high-tech facilities than most of the large hospitals in Seoul. 

            Kai is quickly given medical treatment and the doctors assured him that Kai will be fine. Kai just experienced dizziness because his head hit a hard object. They had checked on his brain activity and skull thoroughly and they said he really was going to be fine. Finally, he was able to relax knowing that Kai is okay.

 

-----------------------------

 

            Kyungsoo was surprised when Junmyeon and the other club members went inside Kai’s room. Kai is asleep for two hours now.

            “We heard from Siwon.” Junmyeon said. “I was worried when I didn’t see you in Kai’s house. I’ve contacted the clubhouse and I talked to Siwon about what had happened.”

            “Actually, we thought that you and Kai eloped.” Another member, Donghae piped in. He was now drawing something on Kai’s bandage. “Of course we won’t allow it. Any member of Exo Riding Club is not allowed to elope without the blessing of the members.”

            “And we are giving you are blessing.” Sehun grabbed Donghae’s marker. He signed on Kai’s bandage.

            After a few moments, while the members are saying their opinions about Kai and him, they are also writing or drawing something on Kai’s bandage. Kai looked like a cartoon character that has many things on his mind because on what is written on the bandage on his head.

            “Don’t worry about him, Kyungsoo.” Junmyeon said while putting on the cap of the marker that they have used. “Kai’s fine. He won’t die with a simple bump on his head.”

            “Stupid people are not allowed in heaven.” Another member, Minseok said. “By the way, I just want to clear something up with you, Kyungsoo.”

            “About what?” Kyungsoo slapped Key’s hand when he tried to write on Kai’s blanket.

            “Kim Jongin.”

            Kyungsoo turned to Minseok. Out of all the guys in the room, he’s the one that seems to be the most sensible person to talk with.  “What about him?”

            “Do you love him?”

            Kyungsoo froze at the question. The rowdy guys suddenly became quiet. When he looked at them, he realized that they just came here not because of Kai. They also wanted to ask him the same question.

            “And if I do, what will you do?”

            They looked at each other. Then Kyuhyun talked.

            “Nothing.”

            “Nothing?”

            “Well, there are things in life that we don’t mess up with. One of which is your situation with Kai.”

            “But your answer is quite not clear.” Heechul said. “Do you love Kai? Yes or no?”

            “What’s this got to do with all of you?”

            “I don’t want chaos in my riding club.” Siwon answered that is behind the guys. “And based on what I heard about you and Kai, you are causing a mess here. Now answer the question. Please.”

            Kyungsoo looked at the sleeping Kai. And his heart just went out for him. He really loved the man.

            “Yes.” He answered finally. “I love him.”

            Taemin strongly slapped Kai’s arm. “You’re such a lucky dog!”

            “Damn it, Taemin!” Kai said after he loudly gasped.

            Kyungsoo gawked at Kai while the guys are talking. Is he awake the whole time he is watching over him? So he heard what he has all said? Kai heard his confession?

            “Is this a setup?” He said to the boys.

            They all stopped talking and looked at him at the same time, most of them had evil grins on their faces.

            “Nope.” Changmin said and one by one, they made their way out of Kai’s room. “Kai, we’re going.”

            “Get well soon.”

            When all of them left, Kyungsoo turned to Kai. “Well?”

            “Don’t mind them.”

            “You’re not yet answering my question.”

            “There’s no setup. It’s just that Taemin caught me awake and pretending to be asleep.”

            “So, you heard all of what I have said earlier.”

            “That you love me?” Kai seriously looked at him. “Yeah, I heard all of it.”

 

-----------------------------

And we're down to the last 2 chapters. What will happen to our KaiSoo now that Kai knows the truth? 😨 Thank you so much for the comments, upvotes and subscriptions! 😊