Chapter 3

Trust Me Your Heart

            Kai, I’m busy.”

            “Doing what?”

            “Nothing.”

            “You know, I can also do that, Soo.”

            “So what?”

            “It’s a rare talent to do nothing. And I think we are just the only two people in this world who are lucky enough to have such gift.”

            “Are you sure you’re talking to me, Kai?”

            “Huh? Of course. Is there any other person in this world that deserves to hear my golden voice at this time of the day?”

            “I’m really having a bad day.” Kyungsoo said and sighed. “What do you want now, Kai?”

            “Nothing.”

            Kyungsoo placed his phone on his other ear while scanning the pages of a magazine that he is holding. He decided to go to a bookstore to buy a book that he will read. “What do you want now, Kai?” He repeated.

            “Come on, Soo. Why do you think that every time I call you, I need something from you?”

            “Didn’t I already say to you that don’t call me again?”

            “Do you want me to die from missing you too much?”

            “Yes.”

            “Soo, you’re breaking my heart.”

            “You know, Kai. If you’re in front of me right now, I will not just break your heart.”

            “Ah, yes. You’re taking judo lessons, right?”

            “Taekwondo.” He corrected him. His heart is suddenly gnawed by irritation. “Don’t you ever call me again if you can’t remember a simple thing about me.” He doesn’t wait for Kai to answer because he turned his phone off. “You’re a jerk, Kai. You can’t even remember my favorite flower.”

            Well, it’s not that he expects Kai to remember petty things about him. But they’ve been together for almost ten years, if not, friends in their own weird way. Kai always wrong in saying simple things about him. But Kyungsoo on the other hand, knows everything about Kai. Even if he likes it or not. Sometimes Kyungsoo thinks that he knows Kai more than his parents know him. Which is not a good thing for him.

            Wait, that sounds wrong. How does knowing that playboy a good thing? Is it because… he liked Kai once? Kyungsoo winced. It didn’t even cross his mind that he likes Kai. Yeah, he finds him attractive–once in a while. But it didn’t really mean anything. Because he really was just handsome, it was as simple as that. Kyungsoo knows how to appreciate good things in this world. And in this case, someone like Kim Jongin.

            But how come Kai noticed he cut his hair last month?

            “Hmm, I wonder how someone would react to this?”

            Kyungsoo glanced at the man who just talked. The man is standing and looking at a copy of a men’s magazine. He looked at Kyungsoo when he noticed that someone was looking at him and presented him the magazine.

            “What do you think, Mister? Are you approving to this kind of things?”

            Kyungsoo doesn’t know what does this man wants. But he admires his guts to talk to him.

            “If that woman can show something good, why do we have to restrict her in doing what she wants?” Kyungsoo said. “It looks like it’s her choice to pose like that in front of the cameras. And anyway, this is a free country so she can do anything that she wants.” Kyungsoo noticed that the man knotted his forehead in confusion. “Okay, so I’ll just make it short and simple. If she doesn't disturb me in any way, then I don’t care what she wants to do with herself.”

            He stared at him for a moment before a grin appeared on his lips. For a moment there, he thought he saw Kai’s image in this man. Kyungsoo shook his head. Because he’s annoyed with Kai, he can see him to other men.

            “I like your attitude.” He said and extended his arm to Kyungsoo. “My name is Kim Junmyeon.”

            He accepted his hand. “Do Kyungsoo.”

            “Nice to meet you, Kyungsoo. You know, I remembered someone like you. My friends’ fiancés are like you. Defiant but they’re making sense.”

            “I’m not defiant. I’m just saying my opinion.”

            “Well, that’s just it. You’re not shy to voice out your thoughts. And for me, it’s bravery. Nowadays, some are defiant but their logic is twisted.” He put back the magazine in the rack and picked a horse breeding, trail racing, and yachting books before turning to Kyungsoo. Then he smiled at him. “Are you doing something after buying that?”

            “Why?”

            “I want to ask you out for a coffee. I want to get to know you better.”

            Woah, this guy is sure fast. “I’m doing something later. I have a business to run.”

            “Hmm. If it’s okay with you, can I just get your number then? I’m really interested in knowing you, Kyungsoo. I hope you don’t find me that straightforward. I just don’t want to go around the bush about my intention on you. Don’t worry, I’m not a bad guy.” Junmyeon fished out his wallet from his back pocket and handed Kyungsoo a calling card. “You can send me to jail if you don’t like all of what I have said.”

            Kyungsoo read the card. He is a president of a known coffee company in the country. Kyungsoo dialed the number and Junmyeon’s phone rang.

            “That’s my number.” Kyungsoo said. “Call me up later and we’ll see about that coffee you’re offering.” 

            Junmyeon just smiled. “You really are prudent, aren’t you?”

            “It’s good to be paranoid sometimes.”          

            “I agree. Oh, I need to go. I have a meeting within an hour. I’m really gonna call you up later, Kyungsoo. I hope you have free time later.” Junmyeon waved before heading to the counter.

            Nice. I’ll have my first date for this month. It’s really boring to have a zero love life. But he is surprised when he saw Kai entered the bookstore. How did he know that he’s here? Maybe he just charmed his crews to tell him where he is. But he’s more surprised when he saw Kai talked to Junmyeon when they saw each other.

            They know each other? Then Junmyeon pointed at him. He noticed that Kai’s smile was gone and is replaced by a frown. Are they talking about him? Junmyeon already paid for his books and Kai approached him. He is still frowning.

            “You have a date with Junmyeon?”

            “Why? Is he your girlfriend?” Kyungsoo asked sarcastically.

            “Don’t go out with him, Soo.”          

            He’s surprised by Kai’s tone. It is the first time when he straightly asked Kyungsoo to not do something. Usually, Kyungsoo is the one that is always followed by Kai.

            “Don’t go out with him.” Kai repeated.

            “And why not?”

            Kai briefly stopped, as if thinking for a good explanation. “Because… he’s not a good man when it comes to having a relationship.”

            “Look who’s talking!”

            “I’m better than him.”

            “And so? You want me to go out with you instead? Is that what you’re trying to say, Kai?”

            Kai didn’t answer, he looked at the rows of magazine in front of him instead. But his attention is nowhere on that magazines, based on the frown on his face. Kyungsoo is going to ask about Kai’s weird behavior when he spoke.

            “Why do you want to go out with him, anyway? He’s not even handsome.”

            “Because I’m bored. And I didn’t have a boyfriend for a long time. And it’s your fault.”

            “Me?”

            “Yes, because you are always bothering me to get you out of your mess.”

            Kai picked up some of the magazines. “You can’t be bothered by me if you don’t really want to. You can bully me anytime and you know I can’t push you into doing something you don’t want to do. So you should blame yourself for always agreeing into getting me out of my mess.”

            He had a point, of course. “Get lost, Kai.”

            “Admit it already.” His smile is full of confidence now. “You like me, don’t you?”

            “I said get lost, Kai.” Kyungsoo returned the books that he doesn’t like. “Don’t ruin my good mood.”

            “You said when we’re talking on the phone earlier, you’re having a bad day.” Kai’s confident smile became more evident in his handsome face. “I knew it. Now I know why God created me to be this perfect.” Kai slung his arm over his shoulder and pinched his cheeks. “To be an inspiration for people having a bad day. Like you.”

            “You’ll be the one who’s having a bad day when you don’t stop. Didn’t I already tell you that our drama’s done? Why are you here with me again?”

            “I missed you.” Kai grabbed his books while an arm is still slung around him. “I can’t concentrate on my work because I always think about you. So I said, damn hell! I’m going to see you, even if you beat me. So now I’m here and–”

            “And you’re annoying the hell out of me.” Kyungsoo said. But his irritation somehow decreased with what he heard. Kai couldn’t concentrate to his work because he missed him.

            “Now that you have already seen me, you can leave.”

            “I’m not in the mood to go back to work. I’ll just accompany you wherever you want to go so that you wouldn’t just pick out a random guy to go out with.”

            “I’m still going on a date with Junmyeon, Kai.” Kyungsoo walked towards the counter. Kai has still his arm around his shoulder. “And you can’t do anything to stop that.”

            “If you’re just bored, I’m here. I’ll entertain you. What do you want me to do? I can sing. I can dance. I can sing and dance.”

            “Kai–”

            “Or, why don’t you just go with me to Exo Riding Club?”

            He turned to Kai. “I thought you will never bring me there?”

            “Well, don’t I have any right to change my mind? Besides, I know you’ll enjoy it there. So if I were you, you better cancel your date with Junmyeon. Oh, wait. Let me do that. I have his number–”

            “No, Kai. I would still go out with him.”

            “He’ll kiss you on your first date.”

            “Then it will be fun! I will finally get my first real kiss. By the way, is he a good kisser?”

            “How the hell should I know?” Kai angrily remarked. Kyungsoo almost laughed at Kai’s exaggerated expression if he didn’t spoke again. “Wait, you don’t have a first kiss yet?”

            “Shut up, Kai.”

            “You don’t have a first kiss yet!”

            “I want to slap you right now.”

            “Oops! Not the face.”

            It’s really wrong to interact with a playboy like Kai. Kyungsoo paid for the books then he quickly made his way out of the bookstore. Kai was already at his side even before he could hail a taxi.

            “If you still don’t have your first real kiss, why didn’t you tell me sooner?” Kai said. “Come here, I’ll give you one hell of a kiss you’ll never forget.”

            “Do you want me to punch you in the gut?”

            Kai smirked. “Are you afraid?”

            “What?”

            “You're afraid that I’ll kiss you so you threatened me like that.” Kai’s eyebrows wriggled as if he’s teasing him.

            “Whatever.” Kyungsoo can’t understand himself right now. His heart was beating erratically at the thought that Jongin might really kiss him. “Get a life, Kai.”

            “As of this moment…” Kai placed his arms again on his shoulder. “My life is right here.”

            Okay… that was just a bit not so like him at all. Why would he say something like that? And what does he mean? Kyungsoo can’t think of anything to say to Kai. He was just too speechless. Because those words of his seemed so… romantic. And he can’t help but feel that weird fluttering of his chest when he looks at Kai. And that was also probably the reason why he didn’t move away when Kai’s face slowly lowered on his.

            For a moment, he can’t think of anything but this guy’s handsome face that has been a part of his life for years. It’s the first time that he felt that his heart is beating so fast that it could almost make him hyperventilate. Especially when Kai’s face is just a few inches away from his, and his lips is just a few centimeters away from his lips. He could even breathe in Kai’s minty breath now. Until finally, succumbing to that heady feeling, he just closed his eyes and waited for Kai’s lips to touch him.

            But it didn’t happen because he heard a woman’s voice.

            “Kai! What the hell is the meaning of this?”

            For the first time in his life, Kyungsoo wanted to smack his head against the nearest wall. He’s so stupid. Why did he let Kai’s tactics get into him? To think that he has known for years that Kai is a playboy.

            Maybe Kai is right about you? His mind teased. That you like him and you can’t admit it even to yourself.

            Kyungsoo distanced himself from Kai and let the woman come near them. He’s ready to answer back if the woman decides to say something bad about him. But he didn’t really need that when the woman confronted Kai and slapped him across the face.

            “How dare you do this to me, Kai! I didn’t believe what my friends say about you because I love you. But why did you hurt me this way? If you wanted to get out of my life, I would have let you go without the drama. Without hurting me this way.”

            The woman left without giving him a glance. He saw that Kai is just following the woman with his gaze. His delicate face is now reddening with the impact of the woman’s hand.

            “Your girlfriend got to you first.” Kyungsoo seriously said. “Me too, Kai. I want to slap you. But I think you had enough in one day. You better learn now. Don’t mess up anyone’s feelings.”

            Then he pulled Kai towards his car that is parked a few meters from them. Then he opened the door and let Kai sit there for a while.

            “Just wait for me here.” He grabbed his handkerchief and went to the fast-food chain beside the bookstore. When he came back, he has three pieces of ice wrapped in his handkerchief. He gave it to Kai.

            “Put this on your cheek before it swells.”

            “I’m fine, Soo.”

            He didn’t listen to Kai. The red on his cheek is enough proof that he’s really hurt by the woman’s slap so Kyungsoo put his improvised cold compress on Kai’s cheek. Kai gasped at the contact.

            “That’s not enough.” Kyungsoo said. “If we haven’t known each other for years, I’ll help that woman beat you up.”

            “Kyungsoo.” Kai gently touched his hand. “I’m sorry if I tried to kiss you. Don’t worry, it won’t happen again.”

            But it seemed he grabbed not just his hand. Because somewhere deep in his heart, something felt so good yet so dangerous. But at the back of his mind, he still warns himself. He shouldn’t trust Kai, his words or his actions towards him.

            He just finished pushing away his latest woman using him again, didn’t he? Just like before.

            “You have to make sure of that.” Kyungsoo said. “If not, you’ll taste a severe uppercut from me.”

            Kai smiled at last. But it wasn’t that lively unlike before. It seems like there’s something changed about his personality. He get the cold compress from him.

            “Get in the car.” Kai said while opening the door in the passenger’s seat. “I’ll bring you back to your shop.”

            “Just go back to your office.”

            “I will. After I bring you back. Come on, Soo. This is the least thing I can do for you for helping me get rid of this stupid swelling on my cheek.”

            “`Serves you right.” Kyungsoo climbed to the passenger seat.

            “I’ll change.”

            Kyungsoo knows what Kai is talking about. “Good for you.”

            “But in one condition.” Kai glanced at him before he continued. “Forget your date with Junmyeon.”

            “And why do you think I would agree with that? That’s not even an agreement.”

            “Take it or leave it.”

            “Leave it.” Kyungsoo should not expect that Kai will change. He simply loved flirting, just like the way he flirted with him a while ago. And damn, he could flirt! And he will not be surprised if everyone will fall for Kai despite his reputation. Because Kyungsoo himself almost became a victim of Kai’s charisma.

            “Then, it’s on your conscience if my cheek will swell because of them slapping me.”

            “I hope they will not just slap you.”

            Kai laughed loud. “You, coldhearted man. My charisma doesn’t really have an effect on you.”

            “Whatever.” He stole a glance at Kai.

            Kyungsoo doesn’t know that Kai is also looking at him. Kai grinned and gave him a wink. He could swear his heart fluttered. Damn! He was cute!

 

-----------------------------

 

Let us all welcome Suhoppa!!! You guys will meet more Exo members and SM artists in the next few chapters. :) Thank you so much for the comments, subscriptions and upvotes! I really appreciate it. :)