Chapter 4

Trust Me Your Heart

            “Are you enjoying yourself?”

            Kyungsoo nodded at Junmyeon. They are in a cozy restaurant where Junmyeon brought him for their date. “It’s okay. Their food is delicious.”

            “Where do you want to go out after our dinner?”

            “Anywhere. Except dark places.”

            “You’re afraid of the dark?”

            “No. I’m afraid of going to dark places with you.”

            Junmyeon laughed. He was handsome all right. And a bit of a playboy, based on the way he attended to Kyungsoo. He knew that because he saw all of it in Kai. The two were alike. Except that Junmyeon is cautious. He’s not revealing all of his personality to the person he is with. A bit serious, though he was easy to laugh and smile. Unlike Kai that laughs on everything. Plus the fact that he always entertains all of his admirers. Kai’s reason? He doesn’t want to ignore God’s blessings to him.

            That monkey.

            “Don’t worry, Kyungsoo. I will never bring you to a dark place. Especially when you mentioned that you’ve been into martial arts for years.”

            “Yes, taekwondo and judo.” Yes, because he also studied judo when Kai mentioned it instead of taekwondo, as his martial art. Kyungsoo must be going crazy.

            “Exactly my point. But you know, it doesn’t look like you know taekwondo and judo. You look so innocent, not to mention very handsome.”        

            “Really?”

            “Don’t tell me you don’t know that?” Kyungsoo shook his head while Junmyeon smiled. “That’s new. A man who’s not aware of his good looks. No one’s telling you that you’re handsome?”

            “My parents and friends have been telling me that.”

            “How about those guys you just met somewhere?”

            Kyungsoo shook his head again. He remembered Kai. “The truth is, there’s only one person that always saying that I’ m handsome. But I never believe him.”

            “Why not?”

            “Because he’s a freakin’ playboy. Everyone is good-looking for him.”

            “Which is true, in a sense. There is no ugly person. Everyone has their own distinction of beauty. Just like you. You are good-looking, not just because of your face.” Junmyeon looked at him intently. “You have a vibrant personality. And I think that’s your great asset.”

            “Thanks.” Kyungsoo continued eating.

            “You don’t appreciate my praises, do you?” Kyungsoo looked at Junmyeon. Junmyeon just shrugged. “I just noticed.”

            “I already thanked you, didn’t I? Is that not a sign of appreciation?”

            Instead of answering, he just raised his wineglass to Kyungsoo. “Point taken. I’m sorry. I’m just keen to details.”

            “I know I’m good-looking. I don’t need someone to tell me that.”

            “I know.”

            A keen observer. That’s the right description for Junmyeon. Because he easily noticed that he kind of ignored his praises earlier. Well, he was right about that. Since Kai became a part of his life, praises that were sent to him by other people were useless for Kyungsoo. Kai always praised him, from head to toe. He’s sick of it. So Junmyeon’s praises were nothing for him.

            Or, Kai is not the one that’s praising me so it was nothing.

            “Kyungsoo? Are you alright?”

            “Huh?”

            “You were quiet. And you crushed your food.”

            Kyungsoo noticed that he finely crushed the meat on his plate. “Sorry. I was just thinking of something.”

            “And you have a smudge on your face.”

            “What?”

            “Let me.” Then Junmyeon reached out to Kyungsoo and brushed away something from the side of his mouth.

            Then Kyungsoo picked a tissue up and he wiped his mouth to make sure that there were no residues left. He was surprised when he heard a noise somewhere in his back. When he looked at the source of the noise, he saw Kai on a table not far from theirs. With his new date.

            “Kai, honey, what’s wrong?” Kai’s date asked.

            “Nothing.” Kai smacked the table again with his hand. “I just saw a large ant on our table.”

            Then he looked at Kyungsoo’s direction with a knotted forehead. Kai’s lips moved as if he was mouthing something to him. Kyungsoo’s forehead knotted.

            “What the hell is your problem?” Kyungsoo whispered without looking at Kai. “You really don’t learn, Kai. I hope your date punches you.”

            “You know Jongin?”

            His attention turned to Junmyeon. “Yes. Unfortunately, we’ve known each other since high school. How about you? How did you know Kai? I saw the two of you talking at the bookstore the other day.”

            “We’re both members of Exo Riding Club.”

            “Oh, okay.”

            “So… you two are friends then.”

            “Not really. Our relationship is complicated. I don’t consider him as a friend. More of a headache.”

            “He didn’t try to date you? You’re good-looking. That’s strange.”

            “Not really. We probably knew each other well enough to stay out of each other’s business. And another thing is, even if he asks me to date him, I won’t accept it.” Kyungsoo’s hold on the utensils tightened when he focused on his food again. “That bastard playboy, he’s always involving himself in a mess. Then he will ask for my help to take him away from his dates. He’s so stupid. If we weren’t friends for a long time, I already kicked his .”

            He heard Juunmyeon chuckle. Kyungsoo suddenly felt shy. He’s with Junmyeon but he’s thinking about another guy.

            “Sorry.” Kyungsoo muttered.

            “Nah, it’s okay. It really happens when a person is special to you. You just couldn’t help thinking about her. Or him.” Junmyeon glanced at Kai.

            “We’re not in a relationship.”

            “You are. I can sense it.”

            “You can’t pass as a fortune-teller.”

            “You’re not on a relationship with Kai, but I can easily tell that there’s something going on between you two.”

            “I said none.” Kyungsoo cleared.      

            There’s something in Junmyeon’s smile when he placed his arm on the table and brought his face near Kyungsoo’s. “If that’s the case, why are you reacting like that to Kai’s escapades? And why does Kai react like that when I come near you?”

            “Huh?”

            “Remember the noise earlier? Kai made it when I removed the smudge on your face.”

            “He said he saw a big ant on their table.”

            “You know that’s a crap.” Kyungsoo just shrugged at what Juunmyeon said. “You want to try it again?”

            “Try what?”

            “Something.” Then Junmyeon reached out a hand to him again.

            But before Junmyeon’s finger touches his lips, he heard that noise again. And that came from Kai’s table.

            “Ant again.” Kai said and glared at Kyungsoo.

            “Let’s just find another restaurant, Kai.” His date suggested. “I don’t like the atmosphere here. Come on, honey.”

            Kai stood up and brought his date towards the exit. And they passed by their table. He was staring down at Kyungsoo when they got to their table and gave Junmyeon a curt nod before they went out.

            Junmyeon’s grin almost reached his ears. “I told you.”

            “Told me what?”

            Junmyeon sighed. “Pretending is not good, Kyungsoo. You might get used to it and you might have problems in the future. You might have problems with showing your true feelings.”

            Kyungsoo picked up a large piece of fish meat. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

            “Do you want to go barhopping after this?”

            “No.”

            He thought that Junmyeon will get offended to his harsh words. But he just gave him a knowing smile, as if he expects that answer from him.

            “I thought so.” Junmyeon said.

            “I’m sorry, Junmyeon. I didn’t mean to be rude.”    

            “It’s okay. I understand. After that little scene with Kai, I know your mood changed.”

            “This has nothing to do with Kai.”

            “Then would you still go to a bar with me?”

 

-----------------------------

 

            “Do you want to have a coffee?”

            “Sure.”

            Junmyeon held the door open for him. Like what he predicted, they didn’t go to a bar. He was right. After he saw Kai with his date, Kyungsoo’s attention drifted away from his own date. So here they are, in his bakeshop. In fairness to Junmyeon, he had been a very nice date.

            “You have a nice place here.” Junmyeon commented when they sat at one of the tables in his shop. “Do you also cater to diners?”

            “Most of our customers here are students. There’s a university nearby. And you know them, they need a place for relaxing and for chilling out.”

            “But why didn’t you just have a coffee shop instead of a bakeshop? Coffee shops are in nowadays.”

            “I’m thinking of adding blended coffees to our menu here.”

            “Then why didn’t you?”

            “I’m still earning for capital money. Maybe after a month or two, I will expand my business.”

            “Then when you have made up your mind, call me up.” Junmyeon handed him a calling card. “Our company is the major supplier of premium coffees in the country. I’ll give you a discount, if you chose my company as a supplier.”

            Kim Limited, the card read. Kim Junmyeon, chairman of the board. So, this guy is the owner of the largest coffee supplier in the coutry. His date for tonight is rich. Handsome, rich, and gentleman. Not to mention, he doesn’t see a bad thing that Kai insists on telling him. But why can’t he feel something for Junmyeon? Well, he appreciated Junmyeon’s good looks and gentle manners. But that was it. No spark, nothing special at all.

            But why?

            Kyungsoo looked at the entrance of his bakeshop when the little bell attached to the door made a loud sound. That little bell told them they had a customer. But at that moment, the one entered is not a customer.

            “Sir Kai!” One of his crews greeted. “How are you? You seem to be visiting a bit late.”

            “Give me a coffee. The strongest one.”

            “Yes, sir. Sir, how about cake?”

            “Chocolate Sin, one slice.”

            “You seem to be hungry.”

            “Yes, I’m like this when I’m in a bad mood.” Kai said and glanced at their direction. “Make it two slices.”

            “You better pay for it, Kai.” Kyungsoo said to him.

            “What do you think of me? Poor?” He get 20000 won from his wallet and gave it to the cashier. “Keep the change.”

            “Sir, we’re not accepting tips here.”

            “Then just donate the change to charities.”

            “We don’t have a donation box here.” Kyungsoo cut in.

            “Then don’t you think it’s about time you have one?” Kai turned to Junmyeon. “You two are still dating here?”

            Kyungsoo answered. From what he is seeing, Kai’s mood is not good. And he won’t let other people get involved in his foul mood.

            “That’s really none of your business, Kai. Just eat your cake there.”

            “I will.” Carrying his tray, he went to a table and sat. He starts eating his food. “Don’t look at me. I can’t eat properly.”

            “I’m not looking at you.” He turned to Junmyeon. “I apologize for  his behavior. He’s really like that. He’s crazy.”

            “Yeah, I heard.” Junmyeon laughed. Then his phone ringed and he talked to the person on the other line. Then he turned to Kyungsoo. “I have to go. I still have an appointment.”   

            “Okay.” He stood up to accompany Junmyeon to the exit.

            He was a bit surprised when he held his waist, but it’s because he is just supporting him. Or it’s because Junmyeon is just a gentleman.

            “Kai, I’ll go now.” Junmyeon said to Kai.

            “Hurry up.”

            Kyungsoo is about to scold Kai when he noticed his dark expression while looking at them with a knotted forehead. Kyungsoo already accompanied Junmyeon to his car and he already came back to his bakeshop but Kai’s frown is still on his face.

            He went to Kai. “What the hell is your problem?”

            “You didn’t listen to me.” Kai said while munching on his cake. “I told you Junmyeon is a maniac.”

            “You didn’t tell me that. And even if you did, Junmyeon is not a maniac. He’s a gentleman. And you don’t eat cake.”

            Kai put down his fork before sipping at his coffee. “There are better fish in the ocean, Kyungsoo. Don’t settle for a shark.”

            It’s Kyungsoo’s turn to knot his forehead. “Why are you saying bad things about Junmyeon? You are friends, right?”

            “Co members.” Kai corrected. “We’re not friends.”

            “Are you jealous of Junmyeon?”

            Kai suddenly froze. Even Kyungsoo didn’t expect to ask that to Kai. He just blurted it out. But what he is not expecting is the excitement that he feels right now. He wants to hear Ka’s answer. To be honest, he wants to hear “yes”.

            Darn it! Am I having feelings for this person?

            What do you think?

            That’s impossible.

            But why? You said that he’s handsome, sweet, charming, y–

            I didn’t say he’s y.

            Kyungsoo shook his head. What is he thinking?

            “Just forget I said it, Kai.”

            “I’m not jealous.” Kai answered immediately. That’s strange because he’s never panicking in any sticky situation. Except now. “I’m your friend. I don’t want you to be hurt. Junmyeon and I have little differences, so I know how his mind goes.”

            There’s nothing offensive to what he has said. So why does he felt something snapped out of him and he feels angry all of a sudden? Before he says anything, he turned away from Kai.

            “Soo.”

            “My head hurts, Kai.” Kyungsoo lied. “So please, I don’t want to argue with–”

            He wasn’t able to continue his words when he felt Kai placed an arm around his shoulder and his other hand on his back. He’s hugging him. And he had his head, as usual, buried against his hair.

            “Sorry.”

            That was his word. Simple. And yet it went right through his heart. And that’s the reason why his heart suddenly reacted violently. That’s a bit different to what he felt before. This one had more force that he was afraid Kai could hear his heart beating.

            “Sorry, Soo.”

            Oh, man! His heart couldn’t stop beating like crazy. Not when Kai’s body was pressed against him, and with Kai’s arms around him.

            “Let me go, Kai.”

            “No.” Kai whispered. “Not yet.”

 

-----------------------------

Hi guys! So I apologize if I haven't updated for a few days. Our internet connection has been crappy. And yay for the new cover! Thanks WooULover for the beautiful poster. :) I'll post the next chapter in a little while :)