Chapter 1

Trust Me Your Heart

            Kyungsoo is busy reading one of the latest paperback novels of Dan Brown when he hears the sentiment of one of his crews in his owned bakeshop.

            “He said he loves me. But I just learned that he has another woman! He promised me that he’ll change because I gave him a second chance. But what did he do? He still betrayed me! That ! I hope that his soul burns in the depths of hell!”

            “Amen.” Kyungsoo said and continued reading his book.

            “I love him. I gave him everything because I really love him. But… but…”

            “But when he already got what he wanted from you, he just left you like that.” Kyungsoo whispered. “Why do women never learn? Men are creatures with two legs and eight hands.”

            Kyungsoo is not saying that because he is cynic or bitter. He just has a firsthand experience in that same kind of situation.

            “But I really love him.” His crew continued.

            “So, if ever he asks for forgiveness,” His other crew continued, “would you still accept him?”

            A short silence has passed. “Uh… I still love him. So I can’t really resist him.”

            “So stupid!” Kyungsoo’s voice was loud enough for his crews to look at him. “The female character in this novel is so stupid! She’s so full of drama. Instead of fixing her life, she chose to search for different relics of Jesus Christ because she’s His descendant and all. I’m also a descendant of Jesus Christ but I’m not wasting my time in searching for different relics to know my origin. I’m already contented with my descendants… in Gyeonggi Province.”

            His crews stared at him weirdly. Kyungsoo just adjusted his eyeglasses and continued reading. It’s really better for him to just shut up and mind his own business so that he won’t embarrass himself from others.

            Kyungsoo stopped reading when a red rose appeared in front of his face. He placed his book down and the face of a man that he doesn’t want to see appeared.

            “A lovely rose for a lovely man.”

            “What do you want, Kai?” Kyungsoo said nonchalantly.

            “Nothing. Is it bad to give a flower to the cutest guy in here?”

            “Yes, because I know that a minute ago, you said the same line to another person.”

            “Of course not.” Kai dramatically sniffed the rose as if it is the most fragrant thing in the world. “You know that you are the most handsome guy for me every time I come here.”

            “Yes, because you need something. So instead of making a drama, tell me what you want.” Kyungsoo sighed. “You’re in trouble again, aren’t you?”

            Kai’s sheepish smile curved his lips. Kyungsoo had to admit Kai was cute when he was acting childish. And he knows that Kai is fully aware of that feature of his so he is using it to score to different men and women. His cuteness never failed to amuse them. But it’s the same thing that gets Kai in trouble.

            “What did you do this time, Kim Jongin?” Kyungsoo’s eyes never left the book that he’s reading. “Ah wait, don’t answer that.”

            Kai sat at the coffee table in front of him. He is still sniffing the rose.

            “Hyerin’s getting serious about our relationship.”

            “Be thankful that someone is taking you seriously even if you are like that.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “You’re a pheromone machine and your count of women and men you played around is higher than the number of capillary vessels in your body.”

            “I’ll take that as a compliment.” Kai smirked as he picked up the book that he already finished reading. “The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Nice.”

            “Have you read it?”

            “No. But I know that you are not reading nonsense books. So, I know that this book is nice.” Kai looked at him. “Am I right?”

            Kyungsoo just sighed and get his book. “You want to get away from that Hyejin. Is that it?”

            “Hyerin.” Kai corrected. “She doesn’t want someone to mispronounce her name.”

            “Why, is she a queen or something? And even if she’s a queen, I don’t care. I will call her whatever I want.”

            Kai laughed. Then he squeezed himself from Kyungsoo’s side and placed his arms around his shoulders. Kyungsoo immediately breathed in Kai’s familiar masculine scent that he really liked. He still has the same scent like the first time they meet each other in high school. Kyungsoo once mentioned that he really likes Kai scent so maybe that’s the reason why he still uses the same perfume.

            “I knew you’d find something wrong with her.” Kai said. “For me, I know that there’s something wrong with her but I can’t really point it out.”

            “You just don’t want to admit to yourself that there’s something wrong with the person that you chose to date. And can you please remove your arm on my shoulders? It’s heavy. And there’s also a vacant seat in front of you. Maybe you can sit there so you won’t disturb me?”

            “No, I’m fine here. Don’t worry about me.” Kai offered the rose at him. “You really don’t want this?”

            “Orchids are my favorite flowers.”

            “Huh?”

            “And I really like fish. So, can you please sit there? And tell me the reason why you are here. Because I have lots of things to do.”

            Kai scratched his nape. “Chill out for a while, Soo. You’re too formal. You won’t get a lover if you’re that cold to guys.”

            “I don’t care.” He just moved to the other chair. And he picked up a small notebook and a pen. “What time are we going to meet and what’s the name of the restaurant? Oh, I don’t have any new clothes so don’t be surprised if you’ll see that I wore a familiar outfit again.” He wrote in the small notebook the details of his new mission in Kai’s life. “One more thing, I’ll be charging more because the gasoline’s price is high. Plus the tax.”

            “Gasoline? What will you do with it? You’ll drink it?” He glared at Kai. And he just grinned. “I’m just kidding.”

            This had always been their agenda every time he wanted to get out of the claws of the women or men he was with. They were still in high school when they first done that. Kai was a transferee from an exclusive private school. Kyungsoo learned that the reason Kai was transferred because the students are all over him.

            But Kai is really that charismatic so he experienced the same in their school. Some would even follow him at home. Kyungsoo is the only one that is immune of Kai’s charisma. Maybe it’s because they are seatmates. It’s like he’s used to him.

            Until one day, he doesn’t have any choice but to compromise with Kai because he doesn’t have any money to pay for his school project. Kai offered to help him, in exchange of Kyungsoo’s help. And that is to pretend to be Kai’s boyfriend so that the girls and boys will avoid him.

            What they did was effective because he is a member of their school’s drama club. It’s easy for Kyungsoo to be the grumpy boyfriend or the pathetic one. So Kai always used him to pretend. Which was fine with him because he uses the money that Kai pays him for his school fees. They did the same when they are in college.

            Kai proved to be the great financial mogul, by using his money to get what he wanted–his freedom everytime he wanted out of a relationship. By using Kyungsoo. On the other hand, he was a business-minded person without any means of making it. But because of Kai, and his money that he is paying him, he was able to save money and establish a small business that starts to expand, thanks to his own effort.

            They were good for each other because of the way they were.

            “Kai.” He calmly called to him without taking his eyes off his notes.

            “Hmm?”

            “Stop sniffing me”

            Kai sat straight but he still doesn’t move away from him. He continued silently writing notes when he called him again. “Kai.”

            “Hmm?”

            “Stop staring at me.”

            “Kyungsoo.”

            “Don’t mimic me, Kai.” He gave him his notebook. “Our transaction is still the same. You’ll put your payment on my bank account–” Kyungsoo knotted his forehead when Kai is still staring at him.

            “Your hair grew longer, Soo.”

            “My hair is always like that.”

            “No, you cut it shorter last month.”

            “How did–”

            “And you changed your shampoo brand, right?” Kai touched his hair. “You still smell great, though.”

            Kyungsoo was a bit surprised at Kai’s remarks. It was like the first time since he noticed someone besides himself. Because Kai noticed small details about him that even the people closest to him doesn’t know. But he has a counter-argument to that. As a freakin’ playboy, it’s natural to him. So that his admirers will think that he is a thoughtful person and in the end, they will admire him even more. But not him. He knew Kai too much to fall for his charms.     

            Kyungsoo starts to feel awkward with how Kai is looking at him so he swat his hand and handed him the notebook.

            Finally Kai came back to his senses and finally realized that Kyungsoo won’t succumb to his charms. He removed his hand from Kyungsoo’s shoulder and accepted the notebook.

            Kai just nodded. “Let’s meet later at the Paris Grill in Grand Hyatt. Hyerin and I will be there at seven o’clock so maybe you can come there after thirty minutes.”

            “Okay.”

            “And don’t worry about your outfit. For sure you’ll still look good.”

            “Kai.”

            “I know, I know. You’re already immune to my charms.” Kai squeezed himself again to his side. “You’re not busy right? Let’s talk for a while, Soo. Office work bores me.”

            “I’m busy.” He raised his book. “And what are we going to talk about?”   

            “How’s your business?”

            “It’s fine.”

            “Don’t answer in short sentences, please. I rarely visit you–”

            “You’re here yesterday. And the other day… and the day before that.”

            “It’s because I miss you. How about you, don’t you miss me?”

            “No.”

            “Even just for a second?”

            “Yes.”

            Kai just sighed beside him. “You’re really cruel, Do Kyungsoo. While I’m always thinking about you.”   

            “I’m not asking you to think about me. And you’re the cruel one here because you’ve been with different people, yet you’re still thinking about who will you date.”

            “I’m a gifted child, you know.” Kai rested his chin on his shoulders. “And I like thinking about you. You’re cute in my dreams.”

            “Kai.”

            “You’re really cute in my dreams, promise. You’re not arguing with me so your cuteness is emphasized. Especially when you smile. Hmm… Come to think of it, I haven’t seen you smile in a while. Maybe I should always bring a camera so when I see you next time, I will have an idea on how to make my most handsome and cute friend smile.”

            “You’re noisy.” Kyungsoo smacked Kai’s face with a throw pillow. “Whatever you do, that won’t take effect on me. So you better return to your office so that this country will benefit from you. We’re done talking.”

            “Who taught you to be so coldhearted?” Kyungsoo gave him a look that answered his question. “I’m sweet.” Kai stood up and fixed his necktie. “Anyway, don’t be too handsome. Hyerin might kill herself when she sees you.”

            “It’s your fault for choosing an ugly girl.”    

            Kai laughed out loud. “Good thing I came here today. I’m no longer bored. Thanks, Soo.” He kissed the top of his head. “I’ll see you tonight.”

            Kyungsoo didn’t react anymore. He had kissed him. But why? He just fixed his hair where Kai’s lips landed.

            “He can’t think of anything to do.” Kyungsoo said and tried to focus on the book that he is reading. But he can’t focus because he keeps on thinking of a good reason why Kai kissed him.

            He had kissed him. On his head. But it was still a kiss.

            So? As if you would even care. Right, he doesn’t care. He’s sure that Kai has done it to others before. He glanced at the entrance of his bakeshop and he saw his employee laughing with Kai. Even Youngmi doesn’t look like she’s in grief earlier the way she laughs with Kai.

            Kyungsoo just sighed and focused his eyes on his book.

            “You won’t really change, Kai.”

 

-----------------------------

 

 

Tadah! So here's the first chapter. I hope you like it! Thank you so much for subscribing! :)