Chapter 5

Will you stay?

As soon as she found herself in her apartment, she let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding.

Was it all even true? Was Haru true? Baekhyun, Jongin? Or would she wake up soon and find herself in her small bedroom, thousand miles away from here? She hoped not, because what was happening right now was something she never experienced. And she liked the feeling. A lot.

It had always been silly hearing old people talking about their first love, because you never really know what to say or how to react except for nodding. Samantha clearly remembered the moment her mother told her about her first love. Surprisingly, it wasn’t Dad, but her very first boyfriend, at the age of 16.

Her mother made sure to tell her everything, like all those wonderful butterflies, and rainbows surrounding you. The emotion and love she felt when she had first kiss. The very first time she went on a date. Those were all crucial moments in her mother’s development, and in her gaining of knowledge regarding love.

But for Samantha it hadn’t been that way. She only had one boyfriend, and it hadn’t been all rainbows and butterflies. Her first kiss wasn’t all love and emotion, but just a physical act shared between two people.  She never went on dates either. It was that typical teenager kind of thing, when you suddenly see yourself surrounded by friends who all have a boyfriend or a girlfriend. You feel out of place not having a boyfriend too, so you just try your luck with the first one that seems decent. She had done that, and even though she didn’t love him, she didn’t regret it either, it was just another stage in her life that she passed by. After that very first boyfriend, she became way to focused on her studies, since the time to come back to Korea was nearing, so boys weren’t on her mind anymore at that time.

So yes, her first love hadn’t appeared yet, but somehow, while looking at Jongin a few moments before, she felt something.

It wasn’t love, that was for sure. It was way to soon for that. But still, she liked him. Or she liked the idea of him, she wasn’t really sure.

So being the overthinking type of girl she was, she suddenly thought that maybe she didn’t like Jongin, but just the idea of someone liking her so much that, after only one day, offered himself to call her for no particular reason. What if she was just in a daze because of his good looks and easy going personality? What if she just liked the idea of someone making her feel at home? What if she only thought she liked Jongin because, in fact, he had Haru, that little creature that made her first few days in Korea a little bit less lonely?

So as a conclusion, she thought as she made herself some tea and sat on the couch to watch TV, she had to be careful, and not jump into something she wasn’t 100 percent sure of. She didn’t want to confuse herself, or him for that matter.

 

“Nice girl Jongin. Although I’m pretty sure you already knew that.”Baekhyun smirked once Jongin entered their shared apartment. He had so many things he wanted to say to his tanned friend, but somehow he was a bit afraid.

I know, Byun Baekhyun being afraid wasn’t something you could easily believe, but it was true. Ever since he found out how the real Jongin was, he learned that sometimes, regarding certain subjects, he had to be careful. He wouldn’t want to touch a chord that was too sensitive. His friend wasn’t a weak person, or someone who could be easily fooled or played. Nor was he emotionally unstable.

But he had always been someone who cared for every person that was close to him. He was someone that always behaved so that nobody would feel left out, or bad. He would always pay attention to small details, sometimes a bit too much.

But what he didn’t like was when people said rude or ignorant things without thinking about the consequences those words could have on someone. That’s why Baekhyun, over the years, has learned that you couldn’t just start making fun of Jongin, or with something that was dear or important to him. He would forgive anything but that.

They had times when they fought, but it had always been quiet. No punches thrown, no harsh words spoken. No crying, no begging. No drama whatsoever. Because the look on Jongin’s face when something bothered him was enough to make you feel like you’ve been punched a hundred times.

He knew who Samantha actually was. Well, he didn’t know from the start, but as soon as he saw the way Jongin looked at her from time to time, he realized she was that girl. 

“You really think so?” Jongin asked, smiling almost shyly.

“Yeah.” The boy giggled softly, amused by his friend’s reaction.

“Yeah, I think that too. She’s really.. nice.” he said, exhaling while looking out of the window almost thoughtfully. “How did you realize it was her?” he frowned.

“I wasn’t really sure up until now. You have just confirmed it to me though.” he paused a few seconds, then continued. ”You kept looking at her very intensely, and since she told me she moved from Korea a long time ago, I just thought.. it kind of made sense.”

“I was really shocked, honestly.” Jongin chuckled, emptying the paper bag on the kitchen table. “I mean, what were the chances?”

“Did you tell her?”

He paused, contemplating on his answer.

 “I didn’t. It isn’t such a big deal anyway.” he said, shrugging.

His friend rolled his eyes, annoyed. How could Jongin say it wasn’t a big deal when It definitely made him act so differently from the way he would usually act around a girl? It wasn’t that he was shy around girls, he was just patient, kinda slow. At least that was what he would  say. He wouldn’t stare at them so openly, and he definitely wouldn’t invite them to his house the very next day after they met.

“You know it is important to you, why not let her know?”

“Well what would you have wanted me to say? “Hi Samantha, I know you have no idea who I am, but I know you ever since we were six, even though you probably don’t remember me because you didn’t give a damn about anyone else except for Hyoyeon.” Is that what you have wanted me to say?”

“Well no. Not like that at least.”

“Look, it’s not a big deal. It’s not like I think this is destiny or some . It’s just that it surprised me, because I always wondered where she disappeared and how was she doing. We were six, damn it I know, but do I really seem like a freak for remembering her? And for being curious?”

“Nobody called you a freak, it’s just something that doesn’t happen everyday.” Baekhyun tried to calm him down, even though his friend didn’t really seem upset. He didn’t even seem fazed.

Wait.

What the hell was going on? Why wasn’t Jongin upset? Or at least a bit nervous?

“Wait, what happened while the two of you were out?” Baekhyun asked.

“I can’t tell you.” Jongin smirked.

Looking at that weird smirk, Baekhyun frowned, half confused, but half amused.

“Jongin?”

“I’m joking, relax. Nothing happened, now stop being such a pain in the and let’s go watch TV.”

 

 

Samantha plopped herself on the couch, some weird cartoon playing as a background sound on the TV. She had the small package in her hands, curious about what could it be inside. She wasted no time and started shredding the paper wrap. She remembered what one of her former classmates had once said: “ In order to do it well, you have to really shred the paper wrap. There’s no fun in nicely unfolding it. You have to really shred it.”

Samantha giggled remembering that. It seemed like such a long time ago, like it hadn’t been months since she graduated, but years. Why did it feel that way? Was it because she travelled to the other side of the world? Did time pass differently here?

 Once she saw the actual gift, she blinked once.Twice.

Two tickets?

 Her eyes then caught a glimpse of something else between the two tickets: a small note.

 

Our dear Samantha,

Well, this is your gift. Do you like it? We were reluctant to buy you this, but we know how much effort you put in your relationship with your best friend over the years, and even though we were not always approving it, we want you to know we always wanted the best for you. You know that, right?  We really love you, sweetheart, and we miss you.

P.S In case you didn’t realize, she helped us buy the tickets. It was her idea.

With love,

Mom and Dad

 

Samantha’s smile brightened so much at the words written so nicely in her mother’s gorgeous handwriting, that her cheeks hurt. The tickets were great, because they were tickets to one of her favorite music festivals, one that she yearned to go to for such a long time.

But that wasn’t what made her smile so much, but the fact that her parents actually cared so much for her that they contacted Hyoyeon and ask for her advice, even though they didn’t actually approve of their close friendship.  It was enough to make this gift perfect.

Jongin crossed her mind almost immediately.  Was this as cool as he expected it to be? But then again, music festivals were popular through young people around their age so..

Why was she thinking about that? You fool..

 

“Unlock your door.”

“W-what?”

“You heard me.”Hyoyeon said annoyed

“No I didn’t, you . It’s 9 in the morning!” Samantha said with her head hidden under the soft, white pillow. Oh, what would she give to have the guts to end that stupid phone call and sleep another hour or so. She was dreaming so nicely, something about dancing and the sunset.

“Rise and shine. Now open this stupid door or I’m going to break it.”

Wait, what?

“Door? Wait, are you here?”

Suddenly all traces of sleepiness disappeared, all kinds of emotions suddenly flooding through her. Was her best friend suddenly here, only a few meters separating them? Was this actually true?

It didn’t make sense though, because Hyoyeon told her she would spend another 3 or 4 days with her parents before coming back to Seoul, so it was impossible for her to be there, on the other side of the metal door, right?

That’s why, when Samantha unlocked the door and opened it, she was shocked and happy beyond belief to see her very best friend standing there with her arms wide open, waiting for her.

Her best friend.

Nothing mattered anymore, except for that short, cute blonde girl that was standing with a wide contagious smile on her face. It didn’t matter that Samantha was freshly out of bed , her hair messy and her clothes oversized. Morning breath didn’t even seem to be a problem as she hugged the hell out of Hyoyeon, muttering a soft “I can’t believe you’re finally here.”.  

“Me?  I can’t believe you are finally here.” The girl muttered just as softly, both of them turning into emotional disasters. 

Everything seemed to make sense now. All her struggles, all those years spent in that horrible country, waiting for this moment to come. Waiting for a chance to be with the only person that ever mattered to her. It couldn’t even be explained, but she felt it all, and without even realizing it, her eyes went a little teary.

When they finally let go of each other, they looked at each other for a few seconds before bursting into laughter, which was so typical of them.

“You are so small.” Samantha giggled, finally all the nervousness dissaprearing.

“Shut up and let me in.” the blonde girl elbowed her soflty.

“Gladly.” Samantha said, smiling.

 

 

A/N

Ok, so I was really happy that I was able to post another chapter in such a short time

but i kinda feel it didn't turn out so great, since it didn't contain much Jongin and Samantha together.

What do you guys think about it? Do you like it? ^.^

I hope you all have a nice week, take care ♥