Chapter 15

Will you stay?

 

„Sehun. Sehun!” Samantha shouted between bursts of laughter, her cheeks hurting. „Stop being so annoying, you little-„ she joked,  blaming her parents for not being able to make her a little taller. She was trying desperately to jump as high as she could, to be able to cath the brochure that Sehun was so selfishly holding up in the air, his height making it impossible for Samantha to reach it.

„I need that Sehuuun.” The girl whined, thinking that maybe a pout would do a better job at convincing him.

„But cats are annoying and evil.” He tried to convince her, though he was just as out of breath because of laughter as she was. They were walking around the city, something that became kind of a routine for them, because it seemed like  it calmed Samantha.

And it really did. Things were weird between her and Hyoyeon at home, and even though Jongin had called her the day before, telling her he didn’t answer her calls because his phone had some problems, she felt like things were weird with him too. As if it was a lame excuse for him not wanting to talk to her anymore. She didn’t know what to think, or how to handle the situation. It felt awkward, and confusing, but somehow Sehun was able to take her mind off of things whenever they hung out.

She honestly didn’t expect him to be such a nice company. Sure, she knew that, because he was friends with Hyoyeon he would be a nice person, but she was still surprised when she realised he wasn’t just a rich kid, but someone who she could really talk to about anything.

However, it seemed he was against one little thing that Samantha adored: cats. As they were walking, they passed by a pet shop, that had on display pictures of small cats that didn’t have an owner. The girl immediately though that it would be a great idea to have one herself, because beside the fact that she’d always loved cats, maybe having one would make her feel better in her own home.

She talked with the lady at the shop, and was lucky enough to get some free brochures about cats and their needs. The idea seemed brilliant to Samantha, but it seemed it wasn’t brilliant from Sehun’s point of view.

„Why do you need a cat?” he asked skeptically.

„I like them, they make every home seem cozy and warm. Besides, I don’t like feeling alone..”she trailed

„But you have me!”the boy whined, his voice high pitched, making him sound like a 5 year old.

„But you’re not a cat.”

„I could be.”

„No, you couldn’t.”the girl laughed. „Besides, I’m not asking you for your permission.” She continued.

„They aren’t even that smart.”the boy mumbled under his breath.

Samantha looked over at him, her amused expression making him grin aswell. It would be a lie if he said he was acting silly for no reason. He just really, really liked it when she smiled like that, or when she laughed at his jokes.

„Fine, how about we go get some ice cream? My treat. This way you’ll forget about my horrible taste when it comes to pets.” She asked, though it was more of like a statement. Sehun would never decline some ice cream.

As they arrived at the coffee shop, one that had, besides all typed of delicious coffe sortiments, tons of pastries and ice cream and frozen yoghurt, they realised it was packed. All the tables were full, and there was a huge queue at the counter. Sehun grabbed Samantha’s hand, trying to make their way to the counter, but it was so packed that the girl found herself bumping into people, some of them cursing at her, some just staring, and some ignoring her.

„Samantha?” a voice made itself heard from somewhere near her, but she didn’t recognise it, though it sounded familiar. She turned around, her eyes scrutinizing. Then she saw him.

„Baekhyun, that are you doing here?”she asked happily, trying not to think that maybe Jongin was somewhere in the store aswell.

The boy looked at her carefully, not saying a word the first few moments, almost as if contemplating what to say.

„Probably the same thing you’re doing.” He joked, a soft smile on his lips. Then his eyes flashed for a brief moment, before he added in a more serious tone.”Actually, I came here to buy something for Jongin. He’s sick, and this place is his favorite. I thought I’ll cheer him up a bit.” He said, looking at her somehow expecting acertain reaction.

„Is it bad?” he asked, concerd obvious in her voice.

„Not really, though he refuses to take any kind of medicine.”  He continued. She bit her lip in worry, so many words wanting to come out, but she kept them in. Though Baekhyun voiced her thoughts almost instantly.

„Why don’t you come over? He’ll be more than happy to see you.”

„I- I don’t know if I should..” Samantha whispered before turning her head back to look at Sehun, the boy now talking with the lady behind the counter. „He hasn’t really talked to me since..well, for some time now.”

Baekhyun frowned.

„Well, I guess you’ll have to talk to him and make everything clear between you two.” He suggested.

Samantha shivered softly, her mood dropping in an instant. She really wanted to talk to him, but she was so confused.

She was afraid, because she feared he didn’t want her anymore.

She was angry, because he didn’t have the guts to tell whatever he wanted to tell her in her face.

„You like him, don’t you?” the boy continued after seeing that she didn’t answer.

She still remained quiet, avoiding his eyes.

„Look, I know this may sound weird, but I believe you two are simply made for each other. You can’t just let things get in the way. Don’t give up that easily.” He emphasized, his voice strong.

She blinked, taken aback by how strong his words were. For a second, it seemed like he wasn’t really talking about the fact that they weren’t talking to each other for some reason. It seemed as if he was talking about something she didn’t know, or something she wasn’t aware of.

Just like Hyoyeon was.

Was she really that clueless? Was something going on, that she didn’t know about?

She was suddenly so curious, that it overcame her fear of seeing Jongin.

„Fine, I think I’ll pass by your house tonight.”

 

 

It was around 7 PM that she decided it would be a good time to leave for Jongin’s house. She got dressed, made sure to take some money with her to buy some chicken soup for the tanned male, and headed straight for the front door when Hyoyeon’s hand grabbed her forearm softly.

„Where are you going?” she asked curiously.

Samantha turned her head to look at her friend. She was trying her hardest not to burst, her frustration somehow boiling inside her. Hyoyeon seemed so cold, so uninterested, the only words she’s spoken to her the last few days being : „Where are you going?”  „Good morning.”  „Good night.” or  „Are you hungry?”

And now, looking at her best friend, she realised something was really going on. Something must have happened for her and Jongin to ignore her like this, and for Baekhyun to wear such a serious face back at the coffee shop. Baekhyun used to be all smiley, but today it hadn’t been like that.

And then her heart skipped a beat, a lump forming in . What if Jongin was actually really sick? What if it was something bad? Something really serious, that might put his life in danger.

It made a lot of sense in her head.

Jongin was ignoring her, because he was sick and worried and in pain.

Hyoyeon acted the way she did, because maybe she felt bad for Samantha, and wanted to protect her without knowing how.

Baekhyun was so serious and asked her to come over, because maybe Jongin was so sick that he wasn’t even able to leave the house.

She panicked in an instant.

Oh my god.

„Look..we’ll talk when I get back, okay? I really have to go somewhere.” She said quickly, not even waiting for her friend to say a word before she was out of the house.

She took the first cab she found, quickly telling the driver the address before leaning back on her seat and anxiously looking out the window, her mind buzzing. She felt so horrible, because she was afraid, but mostly mad at herself.

She only thought about herself, and acted like a victim all this time, when in fact she didn’t even care about the reason why Jongin would act that way. She was so used to people leaving her, or treating her badly, that she became selfish and cold, almost immune to whatever people told her.

How could she be so careless?

When she arrived in front of their apartment building, she took a deep breath before climbing the stairs all the way to their apartment.

Number 54.

She knocked on the door once. Twice.

Nothing.

She took another deep breath, trying to calm herself. What if something bad happened? She tried knocking again, but just as her hand was about to touch the dark, glossy wood door, it opened, a slightly smiling Baekhyun coming into view.

„You came.” He stated, his smile brightening.

Why is he smiling?

He’s trying to prepare me for what I’m about to see, isn’t he?

„Um..yeah.” was all she was able to say.

„Samantha? Why are you shaking? Is it that cold?”Baekhyun asked her, still staying in the doorway, making it impossible for Samantha to pass by him and find the person she was truly concerned about. „I know rainy days can be pretty cold here in Seoul, but today was pretty sunny and-„

„Where’s Jongin?” Samantha interrupted the smaller’s boy ranting, all traces of politeness long gone.

Baekhyun’s eyes shone bright for a brief second, the boy taking a step back to let the girl in.

She dropped her bag next to the door, shyly making her way to the living room. She was so distracted and deep in her thoughts, that she didn’t realise how Jongin appeared in the doorway, eyes all wide and mouth slightly open.

„Jongin.” She breathed softly, eyes attentively looking for any trace of sickness or fatigue.

But he was as beautiful as ever, even in those wrinkled black T-shirt and pijama bottoms. His hair was a mess, but still, it didn’t matter to her. He looked so pretty, that the lump in didn’t subside, but only got bigger. The only thing she didn’t like were those dark circles under his eyes, but after searching for the warmth of those brown irises, everything felt right again. After looking in his eyes, searching in their depth for whatever sickness or problem he might’ve had, she let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding.

And he just stood there,

Because he didn’t have even the slightest idea of what was going on. Samantha was in front of him, only 2 meters away, the weight of her gaze making him weak in the knees. And then there was Baekhyun, a few meters behind Samantha, closely watching them, his friend’s gaze even more heavy then Samantha’s.

And he felt so overwhelmed because,

He was supposed to be the one that went to her house, only to find her in her most comfortable clothes, with her hair messy and her make-up gone. He was supposed to be the one that would buy her sweets or flowers,

Because that’s just how he was, a cliche type of guy, that wanted to make everything perfect for the girl he liked.

He was supposed to be the one that would hug the hell out of her, and whisper sweet nothing in her ear,

That everything’s gonna be okay,

And that he won’t leave her no matter what,

And that he was indeed a jerk that felt weak and useless,

A jerk that ignored her only because he thought it would be better this way,

Was he a total loser?

Maybe.

But in the moment he saw her face brighten up, letting out a sigh of content, only to jump in his arms a few seconds later, it didn’t really matter what he’done in the past.  

She burried her face deep in his chest, inhaling his scent. No perfume, no fancy clothes, no styled hair, nothing. It was just him, hugging her back with even more force.

„I though something bad happened to you, you jerk.” She mumbled, wanting nothing more but to punch him hard, but at the same time cherishing this moment,

When she was so close to him.

He closed his eyes, allowing himself to feel her small body close to his only for a few more seconds before loosening his grip on her waist.

„I’m so sorry.” he whispered, kissing the top of her head. „ So, so sorry.”

She was so warm, so inviting. She was so genuine, so innocent but at the same time so mature.

And there he was, hiding something from her.

Something that was so heartbreaking, so personal and so hard to even put into words.

He breathed in and out. He then took her hand in his, motioning for her to follow him to the couch. She took a seat, welcoming Haru in her arms and cooing gently, before setting her gaze on him,  yet again making him weak in the knees.

Then something came back at him.

„Why did you think I was sick?” he asked curiously.

„Oh, that.” She blushed, realising she might’ve exaggerated  a bit with her thoughts. „Well, Baekhyun told me you were sick and..well, it was a pretty good reason for why you’ve been acting the way you did the past week and..and then Hyoyeon she- she’s so cold aswell and I was all alone and wondering and I guess- I guess it made sense. That you were having health problems..” she mumbled, her cheeks rosier than usual. „You were just so weird and cold all of the sudden and I didn’t know why, and I was afraid and then when he told me you were sick- I don’t even know why he lied- I guess my brain just wanted some kind of explanation, and it was the best explanation I could come up with.” She finished, a little out of breath.

She raised her eyes, only to see him closer than she expected. He was looking at her like she was the most fragile thing ever,

And maybe she was.

„Why?” she breathed.

„Listen Samantha, I don’t know if..”  he trailed, but stopped.

Was he really going to tell her the whole truth? He was all in for it, but what if the consequences were hard to handle? Hyoyeon told him to wait, but how could he?

The both of them were brought out of their little universe by Baekhyun, who was looking like he was about to make his way out.

„Jongin, tell her.”

„Baekhyun, what-„ the tanned male widenes his eyes, his brain suddenly asking tons of questions. Samantha looked slightly confused between the two of them.

„I heard you and Hyoyeon talking. I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but it happened. I’m sorry.” The boy continued, even though he didn’t sound the least bit sorry. „You need to tell Samantha everything. She’ll appreciate it , and maybe she’ll handle it better if you tell her.”

The girl blinked like a helpless puppy, atentively listening and observing the two boys.

„Leave. Now.” Was all Jongin said, after a short gasp. It wasn’t harsh or aggresive, but it was definitely a firm tone. „Please.”he finished.

Baekhyun held Jongin’s gaze a few more seconds, almost as if they were having a conversation that didn’t need words. In the end, Jongin nodded slightly, making Baekhyun pat him on the shoulder. Then the smaller male threw a smile Samantha’s way,

„Listen to him, Sam. I trust him, and you should too.” He said before leaving the two all alone.

 

 

A/N

loooong time no see huh?

I am soooo so sorry for not updating this for so long, but I kinda ran out of ideas, but I'm back now ( And I might actually post another chapter today, or maybe tomorrow) ^.^

I hope you guys haven't lost interest in this..

Anyway, I don't even know if anyone reads these notes, but I like writing them,

It makes me feel like we're friends, haha ☺

I would love to hear from all of you again, and if not, have a great week. We'll see each other on the next update

                                                                Comments, votes and subsciptions are more than enough for me ♥

                                                                                                      Take care!