Chapter 7

Will you stay?

Hyoyeon though for a few seconds if the idea that suddenly popped inside her head was a good one. She wouldn’t be doing anything wrong, right? After all, all that she wanted to do was to spice things up a bit, it wasn’t anything bad. And if Samantha already had Jongin’s phone number it meant that they already talked and liked each other, at least as friends, so it really wouldn’t do any harm.

Right?

She smiled to herself, as she typed her, or actually Samantha’s reply.

To: Jongin

Then why don’t you come over and see the gift yourself? My friend just arrived anyway, it would be nice if you two would meet.

She giggled to herself as she hit the send button. She was lucky that Samantha had told her about Jongin’s curiosity regarding her gift, or else it wouldn’t have been the same, since it would have been complicated to talk to him about something she didn’t even know.

The phone buzzed.

“Sure, why not. Would it be okay, though? Since your fried just arrived, she must be tired.”

Ok, now things got a little tricky. She needed to make it seem as if Jongin didn’t actually get invited, but just wanted to visit her a little. She wanted to make this a surprise to Samantha, because..well, because she was curious as to how were the two together. It was just something she couldn’t believe, how destiny worked it’s magic: her two friends, meeting in such weird circumstances.

To: Jongin

Yeah, it’s okay. She’ll be happy to meet you.

She giggled again, proud of herself. Honestly, she had always known that she had a talent for making the best out of every situation, even if she had to pull a few strings, but this was..was one of her best achievements.

Her trail of thoughts was interrupted by a soft thud, followed by a soft patter.

 “Hey, what are you doing?” Samantha said softly, appearing next to Hyoyeon in a second, her eyes puffy from sleep, and her hair messy. “Is that my phone?” she asked, looking down at her friend’s hands. 

Damn it.

“Um, yeah..I’m..I’m out of battery, and I just wanted to call my mom.” The blonde girl said, coming up with the fastest lie she could muster.

“Why don’t you charge your own phone?” Samantha giggled, letting herself fall on the couch and grabbing the remote, changing the channels to find something interesting to watch.

“Your phone was closer, that’s all..” she raised her shoulders. “So, what are you doing today?”

“I’m going to go to the grocery store to but some ramen for my mom. Apparently, she misses the taste of Korea, and while I told her that she can find ramen in any Asian store, she insisted I buy some for her from here and send it through post.” Samantha said in a bored tone, not wavering her gaze from the TV.

“Is it going to take long?” Hyoyeon asked, mentally preparing a plan for Jongin’s arrival.

“Of course not. I’ll be back in 30 minutes or so.” She said, raising herself from the couch, obviously disappointed in all the TV channels. “I’ll go and put some clothes on, and after I return from the grocery store we can do whatever you like, okay?” she smiled to her friend.

Hyoyeon nodded, then waited until Samantha was out of sigh before grabbing her phone again, only to see that she had a new message from the tanned male.  

“I guess. So, what hour should I come?”

 Oh, this is going to be so much fun, the blonde girl thought.

 

 

It was the perfect timing, because Jongin had enough time to arrive before Samantha came back from the grocery store. And honestly, it was perfect, because everything turned out better than she could have planned. She wanted to see him and talk to him a bit before her friend arrived, since she had so many questions to ask him. She was convinced that he didn’t know that Samantha was actually her best friend. He would be so clueless, and clueless Jongin was always funny.

A soft knock on the door made her jump from the couch right to the door ( yes, that’s how excited she was ).

“Well hello there.” She grinned as she opened the door as wide as possible, only to be met with a pair of wide brown eyes staring at her from head to toe.

“Hy-oyeon?” he asked slowly, looking at the number on the door to make sure he hadn’t knocked at the wrong door. “What are you doing here?” he asked in disbelief, not knowing if he should be happy to see her, or confused as hell.

“What do you think I’m doing, silly?” she giggled, poking his cheek, so, so amused by his facial expression.

“You’re Samantha’s friend? You’re the one that she’s going to live with?” he asked, stepping inside.

The blonde girl nodded, taking the bags from his hands.

Oh, how sweet. He brought food.

“But where’s Samantha?” he asked looking around.

“She’s out for a bit, but she’ll come back in no time.” Hyoyeon said as she gestured for him to follow her in the kitchen. “Now tell me, “she started, looking him in the eyes with a serious look, which was something Hyoyeon didn’t do often, but only when the subject was really something she was serious about. “How much do you know about Samantha?”

“ We haven’t seen each other in a long time, and that’s the first thing you ask me?” he laughed.

She blinked two times, her gaze never leaving his, not a single trance of a smile on her face. Her almost tense stance made him clear his throat awkwardly before speaking.

“Didn’t she tell you how we met? About the cat and all?”

“Oh, she sure did.” She said quickly “But I asked you something else. Do you know who she is?”

It was Jongin’s turn to blink, confusion flooding his body. He didn’t know if he should tell Hyoyeon that yes, he knew very well who Samantha was. Would he seem a freak for remembering a little girl that he didn’t even talk to?

 Yes, it probably would make him seem a freak.

“No..who is she? Is she the daughter of a star or something?” he joked, trying to conceal his emotions. He was usually good at this, concealing his emotions, but he didn’t really know if Hyoyeon was trained enough to see through him.

The girl seemed to contemplate something, her stance now even tenser than before, a sharp look in her eyes. Jongin felt almost threatened, like she was a wolf and he was a small, defenseless rabbit.

“She’s my best friend, Jongin. You know, the one that left when we were only 6..” she started, her gaze softening a bit. She looked at him intently, wanting to see his reaction.

“Oh..” was all he could say. Every muscle in his body wanted to avoid her eyes, but he felt that if he would do that, it would make it obvious that he already knew that.

“But there’s something more to it than just that.” Hyoyeon then added, her tone almost cautious.

The boy raised his brows in curiosity. Ok, this was new. He was sure he didn’t know more than that, so what was it that she wanted to tell him? He straightened his back, closing the space between them, almost as if she was ready to tell him a secret that nobody needed to know. 

“I want you to listen carefully.” she started, taking a seat on one of the chairs. “First of all, when Samantha’s going to return from the grocery store, you’re going to say that you came here because you were nearby, and you just wanted to see her. Got it?”

“Why would I lie? She told me to come..” he said softly, though it seemed as if everything was more complicated than he thought. “Wait a second.” he frowned. “You were the one that texted me? From her phone?”

“I wanted to talk to you, that’s all.”Hyoyeon shrugged, almost as if trying to get rid of the weight on her shoulders. ”And I knew she wouldn’t have asked you to come here. At least not this fast. She doesn’t work that way.”

“So what’s the big deal then?” Jongin asked, every ounce of patience suddenly leaving his body. He felt as if Hyoyeon was making a huge deal out of something that she didn’t even seem like telling him.

“Listen Jongin, Samantha’s-“

They were suddenly interrupted by the front door that opened. Their eyes met the next second, word unnecessary. He knew what he had to do.

“Hyoyeon, I’m back, and I also found those-“her voice boomed through the thin walls as she neared the kitchen. When she finally entered the small room, she almost lost control and was near dropping the bags on the floor.

“-marshmallows that you like..” she muttered before looking at Jongin, her cheeks getting just a tad bit redder. “Jongin? What are you doing here?”

“I-um..” he started, but the conversation with Hyoyeon made him so confused, that all words seemed to have left him. “I was around the neighbourhood, and I thought you would enjoy some company. I-um.. I didn't know Hyoyeon was here.” he finished.

“Oh.”she said, placing the bags on the big wooden table. “Wait, you two know each other?” she smiled.

“No, we just met.”Hyoyeon quickly interfered.

“Oh, cool then.” The girl said, starting to place every item on it’s own place. She was occupied with them, so she missed the frown that darkened Jongin’s features.

“Can you please fetch me my phone? I put it to charge, but I think it’s done by now. I’ll make us some hot chocolate, it’ll go perfect with those marshmallows.” The blonde girl said.

“Sure.” Samantha smiled (so bright-in Jongin’s point of view). “You’re in?” she then turned her attention to him.

“Sure.” he grinned.  

 

 

An old movie was playing in the background, a movie that Samantha really enjoyed, although Hyoyeon and Jongin weren’t so excited about it, but it wasn’t as if they were actually paying attention. Their hot chocolate were so delicious, that  the first 5 minutes passed in utter silence, as the three of them enjoyed the sweet, rich taste of their treat.

Of course, Samantha felt the need to boast about her great gift, showing Jongin the tickets and feeling so good about having a friend that actually made great gifts.

“There are so cool!” he whined, looking at the ticket, inspecting every side of it. “You’re so lucky Samantha. Baekhyun would never buy me such cool gifts. He’s such a dork.” He said thoughtfully.

“Oh, come on.” Samantha laughed.

“I’m being honest.” Jongin said, a hand on his chest. “Last year he bought me his favorite video game. He ended up playing that game more than I ever played any video game. Ever.” he emphasized.

“He sounds fun.” Hyoyeon giggled.

“He really is.”

“You already met him? Who is this guy anyway?” she elbowed her friend.

“My roommate.” Jongin said, before snatching another marshmallow from the bag.

“How did you end up meeting his roommate already?”Hyoyeon grinned, her tone teasing.

Jongin coughed awkwardly, while Samantha’s cheeks turned pink the second time that day.

“ I went there to see Haru. On my birthday, remember?” Samantha said, her tone calm, but her face hot.

“Right.” the blonde smirked.  

“You should meet him.” Jongin added. “His birthday is in 2 weeks, but because he’ll be over at his grandparents, he’ll celebrate it earlier. You two should come.”

“Jongin, I don’t think that’ll be a good-“

“Sure we’ll come!”Hyoyeon grinned excitedly.

“We will?”

“Yeah. Parties are cool. You can do all sorts of stuff, like meet new people, or get to know others even better. Right Jongin?”

“Y-yeah.” He nodded, smiling at Samantha while chewing.

“Well, I guess it’ll be fun.” She said, looking at Jongin, smiling just like he did. She tought he looked so funny chewing and smiling ant the same time. Cute.  

“It’s a deal then.”  she said.

 

The rest of the night went by really fast, because Hyoyeon, just like Baekhyun, was a really funny person, that could make everyone laugh with just a few words. Of course, as soon as Jongin left, her cheeky attitude had turned into a teasing one.

“Soo, isn’t Jongin just so cute?” the blonde girl said as she played with a pillow, attentively watching Samantha as she cleaned the coffee table. Apparently, laughing and drinking at the same time was really hard for Jongin, who actually spilled some  hot chocolate on the small glass table. The following 5 minutes had passed with him constantly muttering “Sorry”s and asking Samantha to let him clean everything up, which made Hyoyeon laugh her off.

“Yeah, he is.” Samantha giggled. “I never knew someone could apologize so much.”

Hyoyeon rolled her eyes.

“No, I meant that he’s like really handsome, right?”

”You think so?” the girl answered, her tone much more soft and shy.

“Someone is getting a little flushed, am I right?”

“Hyoyeon!”she whined, her smile never leaving her lips.

“I honestly can’t wait for that party.”

“What’s it to you? What do you think it’ll happen?” Samantha asked shyly, throwing the dirty napkins in the trash bin.

“We’ll see, won’t we?” the blonde girl laughed excitedly, hugging her best friend tight.

“You’re crazy and delusional.” Samantha giggled, feeling as if all the air was leaving her lungs from how hard was Samantha hugging her.

“But you love me anyway, right?”

“Yeah..” she grinned.

 

A/N

I feel like this gets from bad to worse.

I'm really sorry I haven't updated for a long while, but I've been going through some stuff, and my mind just seemed blank.

I hope you'll like this, and I also hope you guys haven't lost interest in this story.

Anywayy

Have a nice week, and take care ☺