Chapter 6

Will you stay?

If you would ask Jongin what had high school taught him, he wouldn’t know how to answer, because every important lesson he learned up until today wasn’t told by a teacher, but by life itself.

In his opinion high school was a great place for anyone to develop because you are constantly surrounded by all kinds of people, from whom you can learn a lot of things. That is, if you are an open-minded person. He always thought that one’s personality and way of thinking was the result of  everything that person went through, and that everyone was strongly influenced by the people around them, taking fractions  and character features from every person they admired.

Just like everyone else, he did that too. That was the way he discovered dancing, because the second he saw those people on the stage moving so gracefully, he knew he wanted to be just like them. Or even better. It was funny how he ended up watching that musical that drastically changed his life, thought.

It was one of his classmate’s birthday, and because he was one of those rich but fun to be around kind of boys, he invited all his classmates at his house. Jongin’s parents were out of town on that night though, so Jongin was supposed to spend the night at his classmate’s house. However, after the party, they were told the boy’s mother wanted to take them to a musical she needed to see. Everybody knew that boy’s mother, because she used to be a famous article writer and editor, writing articles for almost all the popular magazines.

The idea didn’t seem to cool for two 10 year old boys, and while his friend didn’t enjoy it at all, whining and saying that he wanted to try his new video game that he got as a present, Jongin loved it. He loved the slow songs that were playing while the talented dancers spinned and executed all kinds of moves he wasn’t able to understand at that time. He was truly entranced.

But what really made him realize that was what he wanted to do was the crowd’s reaction. Everyone was watching carefully while the dancers performed, not uttering a single word, too focused on the stage. Afterwards, when the dance number was done, the crowd went crazy, cheering and clapping to show their enthusiasm and appreciation. Jongin wanted that. He wanted to entrance people with his body, with the way he moved. He wanted to blow people away not with words, but with simple but precise moves that showed everyone who he really was, moves that would tell a story, or that could remind you of someone or something. Moves that could send endless kinds of emotions.  

Well, that was not what he thought at the age of 10, but as he grew up. He thought it was useless to try to fool girls with pretty smiles, or with words said in vain. That didn’t mean he was an introvert, though, it just meant he thought faking emotions or feelings was useless. That’s why he loved dancing so much, because you could never fake your emotions when dancing. It was that one thing that always made him feel real, the one thing that helped him figure things out when he was confused. That one thing that helped him clear his mind when he was stressed. That one thing that made him realise his true feelings for a girl.

It always worked.

So why now? Why did it seem so hard to figure out what he felt? He had been dancing in the studio for more than 2 hours when Baekhyun called, him, yelling that it was past 10 PM and that he needed some toothpaste from the grocery store.

Two hours passed since he started dancing, figuring that it would help him clear his mind, but for the first time ever, it didn’t work.

Why was he so curious about Samantha after all? Had she been his best friend before she left? No. Was she someone who had a huge impact on him? No. Was she some weird childhood crush? Probably yes. But he couldn’t understand why. He never could, and whenever he thought about it, it drove him insane because he couldn’t find an answer.

Not that he thought about her that much before, but he felt like he knew her ever since he was born, though it hadn’t been that way. He met her through Hyoyeon, who was the daughter of an important family friend. He and Hyoyeon were basically friends even before being born, because their mothers were close friends, and so, just like in those weird movies, they decided that their children should be good friends and, since they were a boy and a girl, get together at some point.

It wasn’t like that though, because even though Hyoyeon and him were getting along well, they never became more than just acquaintances.

It was that time in kindergarten that he saw the blonde girl playing with another girl. Though it sounded weird, he wanted to play with them aswell. Not because he wanted to play with Hyoyeon, but with her friend that seemed so small, yet full of energy. He remembered she had a really contagious smile even then. He felt like he needed to meet and know her, without any other purpose to it other than the fact that he simply wanted to. Because that’s how things go when you’re little, right? There isn’t any need for a specific reason. You just want to.

But his expression fell as  soon as Hyoyeon grabbed the girl’s hand an took her with her to the that small castle that had Barbie’s and all that girly stuff.

He was only five, but he was able to realize a pattern. All their childhood, Hyoyeon had everything. Every time the two families meet up, they were forced to play together, and every time something went a bit out of control ( a boy and a girl can get things out of control at the age of 5, yes) he was the one to blame.

Hyoyeon would never do that, she’s just a small girl.

Hyoyeon should eat the remaining cake, she’s the girl.

You should be a gentleman, Jongin, and let Hyoyeon ride the ferris wheel first, she’s the girl.

It was silly, yes, but he was just a child, and those things were annoying for a boy that needed just as much attention as a girl. And seeing that he wasn’t even able to talk to that other girl-because of Hyoyeon-was frustrating.

And that’s exactly how he called her for a long time. The other girl.  Only at the age of fourteen had he asked Hyoyeon how her best friend was named.  

Samantha. It was a weird name, since they were koreans and names like that weren’t common, even if they lived in a big city like Seoul.

Whenever he thought about her-not that he did it too often- he liked to tell himself that he would immediately recognize her, no matter what. He didn’t know how she looked, or how old was she, since Hyoyeon never talked about her with him-she only told him that she left the country-, but he had the mental image of her from when they were 5, and it somehow made him think that she wouldn’t be too changed.

He didn’t recognize her immediately, though. When he first properly looked at her, he though she was just pretty. She had nice, long hair and pretty features, but even though she looked and sounded Korean, her attitude wasn’t so typical of a Korean girl. She had a firm gaze and a somehow confident air around her, something that wasn’t so usual for an average Korean girl, but attracting nonetheless.

She resembled someone he knew, but he wasn’t sure who. That’s why he stared at her-because he couldn’t put his finger on it. Who did she resemble?

When he first heard her name, he needed to make sure he didn’t jump to conclusions, even though his brain told him otherwise. Samantha wasn’t a common name, but it was very possible that the name suddenly appealed to Koreans. Who knew? Trends were so weird these days.

It became harder to not jump to conclusions when he overheard her speaking on the phone with a girl named Hyoyeon. Could it be possible that he heard it wrong? Maybe that girl wasn’t called Hyoyeon, and  he was just imagining things because, deep down, he hoped it would be her. The Samantha that he oh so badly wanted to meet again.

It became more than clear to him that she was that other girl when she told him and Baekhyun that she had to move from Korea when was still a child. It all made sense.

The things he felt that second, he couldn’t describe. He was, mostly, excited to actually be able to meet her. So many years had passed, that he didn’t even hope for it anymore, but still, it happened when he least expected it. But that was not all of it, because beside the fact that he was excited, he was also a bit hesitant at first. What should he do, or say? Should he tell her that, in fact, he knew who she was? That she had, all these years, been a mystery that he so badly wanted, and needed to solve?

He figured it would have been weird to tell her, since she barely met him, and had no idea of who he was whatsoever.

He just thought that it would be best to just let things flow, and so he did. He didn’t plan to behave in a certain way, or say certain things, he just behaved almost normally ( as normal as someone in his situation would ) and let things go the way they would.

The ice was broken.

Screw this! He thought, as she strolled over to his backpack to search for his phone. For the past 24 hours all that he could think about was how or what to write to her. He was aware of the fact that he told her he would call,  but he then changed him mind. Texts were a bit easier. For starters.

He found his phone, and decided that it was now or never. He wanted to talk to her some more.

He thought for a few moments before starting to type.

 

 

It was a sunny, warm day in Seoul, , perfectly matching with the mood of the two girls. They were so happy, finally being able to talk face to face, hug each other, and do basically everything together. It almost felt nostalgic, like when they were small and played with dolls and balloons.

They spend almost 5 hours talking about everything and nothing, laughing at the silliest things. Of course, as soon as Samantha said something about Haru, Hyoyeon remembered.

Her so called nice owner.

Of course she asked Samantha question after question, eager to find how her birthday actually was, considering she spent it with two strangers and a cat she adored. She wanted all the spicy details like how did he look? Was he hot? Was his friend hot? Of course Samantha didn’t use any explicit word, but because her friend kept bugging her to describe how he looked, the only thing she said was that he was really tall, a bit tanned and had a nice voice.

Hyoyeon was so happy, that even the interesting fashion documentary that she wanted to see  wasn’t able to catch her attention, her thoughts wondering to all the things she and her best friend could do the rest of the summer , now that they had the chance to do so.

Beside the Music Festival, which she was really looking forward to, she had tons of other plans for the two of them, but she decided it was more fun to keep them a secret for the time being.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a short beeping sound that wasn’t coming from her phone, but Samantha’s.

She called her friend, yelling powerfully, her voice booming through the walls, but nobody answered. Did she fall asleep? She giggled, her friend could be so boring from time to time.

She just thought that seeing what beeped would be okay, since they never really kept any secrets from each other. Her eyes widened as she saw the ID. Jongin?

She frowned, thinking about the description Samantha made. Tan skin?  Tall? A cat?

Holly , really? She giggled.  Samantha is really fast with guys, huh? They’re even texting.

From: Jongin

Are you really going to torture me like this? Curiosity is a hard thing to handle haha.

 

Torture? Curiosity about what?

What in the world was going on?

 

 

PLEASE READ

A/N

Hi everyone!

How are you girls doin? ^.^

I was kinda excited when I started writing this chapter, but then I read a fanfic written by Kaspian ( you probably know her since she is AMAZING ) and I just thought mine is so boring.. :'(

I want to ask you guys for your opinion, do you  want me to be a little more straightforward, and not put so much emphasis on their personalities but their actions instead?

I just really want you guys to like this story, so I'll be really happy if you would tell me your opinion in the comments bellow :)

Have a nice week, take care ♥