Chapter 3

The Colour That Painted My Black & White Canvas

Chapter 3 

Day 19, Afternoon, Evening.

*

Chanyeol’s apartment mirrored yours in almost every way, with the exception of occasional photographs from the places he traveled to lining the walls. 

As you walked into the dim lit living room. You notice Chanyeol lounging on the Sofa. He turns his head having heard the door close. As soon as he sees you, he breaks out into a wide smile and strides across to you enveloping you in a hug.

“Welcome back.” You mumble in his embrace. 

“Good to be back.” He smiled before rest his head on your shoulder, his hold around you tightened until you felt yourself being carried in his arms. Being the height of 183 cm, 14 cm taller than you, your legs naturally dangle over the ground. The small childish act caused you to smile to yourself as you remembered your days as toddlers, when he used to do the exact same thing when you get tired or hurt.

“Chanyeol.” You say hesitantly “I can’t stay long tonight. I just came to say hi.”

Chanyeol loosened his embrace, and looked at you quizzically.

“I’m leaving for Shanghai tomorrow.” He says 

Your hand instinctively intertwines with his soft dark locks apologetically. 

“I still can’t stay tonight.” You repeat firmly. 

Once again he moves away, a smile graces his features “You’re visiting me in Shanghai then." 

Chanyeol was the same, always needing the last say, in everything. And you had always allowed him to.

You had always wondered what it was Chanyeol thought of your dysfunctional relationship. You wondered if he even felt the same way about it as you did. Deep down you believed he knew it would end, you were well aware he was never one to plan ahead.

Why plan ahead? You never know when the circumstances could change.

Because Chanyeol, it’s good to at least have some sort of plan than heading everything blindly. 

"Remember.” He repeated “I better see you in Shanghai in two weeks.”

*

The lights to your apartment were bright as you entered the monotone space. Down the hall you saw a brown head of hair resting against the sofa, the news muted on the screen and laptop on charge by the nearby desk.

“You’re running my electricity bill up Sehun.” You say as the door closes behind you seconds later.

He turns to the sound of your voice, excitement shining in his brown eyes quickly darkens as he makes his way towards you.

You feel cornered as he eyes you up and down. 

“Sehun?” You question in confusion. 

The Sehun you knew as all smiles and pouts was nowhere to be seen. A form of anger clouded his eyes and sent a spark of anticipation through body.

“Were you with a guy?” He asked, a hint of jealousy weaving it’s way into his tone. 

“What?" 

"Where were you and who were you with?” He repeats.

“I was with a friend.”

He squints his eyes as if to intense his glare, so as to guilt you into telling him the details. You simply stare back into his eyes refusing to back down. Finally he gives in with a sigh.

“I don’t like the thought of a person who is more important to you than I am existing.” 

You raise an eyebrow at the statement. You had only known him for about a month and he was already overflowing with jealousy. Sure you two were pretty close now but you had never viewed it in that way at all.

A soft whimpering interrupts your thoughts and you were unsure of if you were relieved or upset at the sudden intrusion. 

The sound of small paws hitting the wooden floors draws closer and before long a small white puppy appears beside Sehun. The small pup stretches on it’s hind legs, pawing at Sehun’s leg.

"Sehun?” You question again “What is that?”

His expression changed immediately to your relief as he smiles and lifts the puppy, holding it close to his face.

“Surprise!” He says excitedly 

“No.” Is all you reply before pushing past him.

“Please, I just need you to watch her during the evening when I’m at work.”

You turn to the wide eyed boy and then glance to the equally doe-eyed puppy.

“Still no." 

"Just during the evenings when I’m at work.” He holds the puppy closer towards you “Look at how cute I am.” He voices for the white dog in a sweet tone.

“Only when you’re at work.” You say after a moment of contemplation. A smile breaks out across his lips and he nods happily. 

“But I’m not cooking dinner for you tonight." 

He laughs and disappears into the kitchen. Surprise fills your features as he walks out with two take-out containers in hand. Because for once,

"I figured you’d say that.”

For once someone was a step ahead of you.

*

You had always wanted a pet as a child, when you reached the age of nine your Grandfather finally gave you permission to have one. To your disappointment your bubbly was popped when you learned that the pet your Grandfather had in mind was not an energetic puppy, nor was it a lovable kitten. It was a goldfish. 

Still, wanting to prove that you could take on the responsibility of a more mobile animal you invested all your time to make sure that “Goldy” was brought up well. Unfortunately, nobody had taken the initiative to inform you of a Goldfish’s incredibly short life span. As a result when “Goldy” died less than a year after you had gotten him, you were heartbroken at the sight of your only pet floating lifelessly, belly-up in the fish bowl. 

Afterwards you vowed that you were never going to invest any time into such things as they only resulted in heartbreak. You didn’t realise that this way of life slowly started to apply to people around you as well.

So suddenly having a hyper ball of fur barking and bouncing around your house almost everyday was a new experience for you. You still had yet to decide whether you liked it or not, thinking that after a few days you would get used to it. After a week or so you made up your mind, you definitely did NOT like it at all. Upon your second week you found yourself pushing the creature back to Sehun, unwilling to give it a second chance.

*

The flight to Shanghai was miserable, your body sore in places you didn’t even know possible to bruise. It had been a while since you had visited Shanghai. You remember the times you and Chanyeol would spend almost every short break you both received in the beautiful city. 

"Chanyeol?” You call as you enter the familiar timeshare. 

You feel his firm chest press against yours followed his arm securely wrapping across you. 

“You’re here.” He turns you in his arms and rest his free hand on your head.

You stay still happily enjoying the small gesture. You pout slightly when he lets go but brighten up again when you hear him say the very sentence that you needed at the moment. 

“Dinner first? I’m assuming you’re hungry." 

He took you to a Sushi bar in the middle of town and quickly ordered the food not letting you know what he had gotten for you. You didn’t mind though, you were used to relaxing and just handing the reigns over to him the second you two met.

"Do you remember our first year of University? You were so set on finishing in three years, and then during your first class you met that senior, what was his name?” He paused in thought “Kris.” He says trying to strike up a conversation.

You groan and rest your head on the table, remembering the embarrassing moments then.

“You were so fixated on him.” He laughs “But your grandfather fell ill and you completely forgot about anything that wasn’t the company." 

‘Thank Goodness’ 

"I didn’t forget about you.” You say under your breath.

“You didn’t.” He confirms.

He notices the waitress nearing and taps your head to alert you. As the waitress serves you your food he claps his hands happily.

You look at your food, pleased with the amount of colour that lined your plate.

“This is so pretty. I love how the red blends in with the yellow.” You critique.

You were about to dig in when you notice that Chanyeol had gone strangely silent. Sending him look that has a mixture curiosity and a mixture concern look he finally comments.

“It’s nothing, just that In all the years I have known you, I never heard you say anything about colour before.” He shrugs and digs in.

You look down at your plate and stare at the colours as you realise that what he said was true. You never noticed the colour of anything before. You detested colour, it was unnecessary, it was in the way, but recently colour had started to bloom in your sight. You started to enjoy it, when did you start ? Who was the artist that painted your sight ? 

“For once Park, you are exactly right.” You whisper as the thoughts cloud your mind.

*

a/n: Nobody gas subbed yet TAT. I hope people sub soon ^^ I'll update soon.