These Days

Best(Boy)Friend

CHAPTER FOUR

[Friday]

It was finally Friday, a day where Hyukjae is excused from all high school-related things because of his mock exam for KNU. Sure enough, he was ready for the phony exam with the possible test questions in the most important exam in his life. He plans on exceeding his previous exam score over and over until he finally reaches his goal of 100% answers correct.

This is his third try on the mock test. High schools seniors are only given 4 chances on mock exams before the actual final exam. He got 86% and 89% at the first two, which was enough to pass but not enough to obtain a scholarship. And getting one is his main goal.

Though he is academically prepared today, his mental presence is a bit shaky. His mind still wanders at the past two days he’s been through. Again, because of the Donghae and Siwon thing. The things he felt during his shopping time with Donghae was already bad enough. But last Wednesday and Thursday, Donghae made it feel weirder.

 [Wednesday]

Hyukjae started wearing the clothes Donghae (or Donghwa) bought him. He kept getting looks from other people, which was weird. He wasn’t used to that kind of attention. And he wasn’t even sure if the attention he’s getting is a positive one. So, he just shrugged it off and avoided attention as much as he can.

After his locker stop, he made his way to his classroom. Of course, it had to pass Donghae’s room. And as he was thinking about Hae, he saw him with Siwon in front of his room, laughing together. He sighed, putting on his mask again.

He put on a smile as he approached the two, “Hey, guys,” he said and put an arm across Donghae’s shoulder, “Hi,” he looked at him romantically.

Donghae smiled and returned his look, “Hey,” he said, “Sorry I was absent yesterday. You know, Donghwa hyung needed help,” he chuckled, emphasizing the word ‘help’.

Hyukjae laughed a bit. If ‘help’ means spending his money on anything the helper says, he would like to volunteer to help Donghwa, anytime.

Siwon smiled, “Yeah, I was worried that I didn’t see you yesterday. I thought you were sick or something,”

Donghae puffed his cheeks, “Well, no need to worry. I’m really okay,” he smiled, “And if I ever need any help, I’m sure Hyukjae will be there.”

“Yes, I will,” Hyuk said and laughed.

Siwon greeted Hyukjae, “Hyukjae, you look different today,” he said.

Hyukjae smiled and he felt Donghae smile as well, “Yeah? What do you think?”

“You dress better, it suits you a lot,” Siwon smiled.

“Well, the stylist is amazing so, yeah,” Donghae said, “I’m the stylist, by the way.”

They all laughed. Siwon smiled at Donghae and said, “Oh, Donghae, I was wondering if you could help me with choosing my elective subject later. Would that be okay?”

“Of course!” Donghae smiled, “What time will that be?”

Hyukjae smiled inside, knowing that their goal could be easily achieved because Siwon is the one making moves on Donghae. But as far as he knows, Siwon hasn’t showed a sign of jealousy. Maybe just a little, but most of the time Donghae and Hyukjae do something couple-y, Siwon just smiles and shakes it off.

“Maybe after school? You know, it’s going to take a while since there are 10 elective subjects here,” Siwon smiled cheekily. He faced Hyukjae, “Would that be okay, Hyuk?”

Hyuk nodded, “If it’s okay with Donghae, then why not?” he smiled.

Donghae tilted his head, “I don’t know,” he looked at Hyukjae, “Didn’t I promise that I’ll help you study tonight, Hyukkie?” he asked.

Hyukjae looked flustered. He has no idea what Donghae was trying to do. He decided to just ride with it, but still defending what he said a while ago, “Yeah, you did. But I think Siwon needs help with choosing his course. I had troubles with mine at the start, too.”

Siwon shook his head, “No, no, it’s okay. I don’t want to interfere with your date,” he chuckled.

Hyuk was about to say ‘You’re not interfering anything. I am the one interfering.”

Donghae pouted, “I’ll try to make it up to you next time,” he smiled and looked at Hyukjae, “Hyuk’s mock test is on Friday and I know he needs the moral support,” he said.

Hyukjae just smiled shyly. Was Donghae really turning down Siwon for him?

+++

School had just ended and Hyukjae made his way to his locker. He saw Donghae’s figure in front of his locker, waiting for him.

He tried to avoid Donghae as much as possible today. Hyuk bailed on lunch and just went to the library. He got a bit tired putting on the mask. So what better way to skip the acting than to just avoid it and skip your meal? (Though he snuck in a PBJ sandwich and ate it secretly from the librarian.) Hyuk felt his cellphone vibrating from his pocket while he was reading a book about world history. He knew it had to be from Donghae. He checked his phone and saw 14 new messages, all from Donghae. As soon as he received the 15th one, he turned off his phone and went back to reading.

Now, he has to face Donghae again. But he’s glad that he doesn’t need to put on the mask this time. He quickly made his way to the boy. Donghae looked at his direction and smiled. Hyukjae felt weird, again. Why was he relieved with the thought Donghae was looking for him, not Siwon?

He reached Donghae’s side and received a smack on the head.

“Ouch!” Hyuk exclaimed. He looked at Donghae, “What the was that for?”

Donghae pointed at him, “That was for leaving me with Siwon at lunch,” he said and smacked Hyukjae again.

Hyuk flinched, “And that?”

“That was for not answering my texts,” Donghae said and smacked him again.

Hyuk just kept in the scream and raised his hands, surrendering, “And?”

Donghae smiled innocently and shrugged, “I just missed you,” he said cutely.

Hyukjae raised his brow. He’s feeling weird again.

Donghae grabbed Hyuk’s hand, “Let’s go. You still have to study, right?”

Hyuk looked at him weirdly, “You were serious about that? Why break rule number 2?”

Donghae rolled his eyes, “I have to play hard to get, silly. I can’t go with him willingly all the time,” he laughed, “He’s going to suspect something if I do.”

“Or he’s just making moves to get back with you. But, yeah, your reason sounds way more logical,” Hyuk said sarcastically.

Donghae just glared at him and they headed out.

+++

“Stupid world history, why do I have to study you if I’m not going to use you in real life?” Hyukjae murmured. He was seated next to Donghae at his bed. They were in his bedroom. When Donghae said he will help Hyukjae study, he really meant he was just going to leave Hyuk alone while he sleeps at his side.

Hyukjae heaved a sigh. He hated history. He doesn’t like the idea of learning about dead people. He decides to take a break from studying and looked at the sleeping figure beside him. Donghae’s head was on top of a closed book, one of Hyuk’s books, actually. He was sleeping so soundly, you could hear tiny snores from him.

Hyukjae chuckled and decided to wake him up, “Donghae. Yah. Lee Donghae,” he shook his friend.

Donghae’s eyes squinted a bit, “Hmmm?”

“What the hell are you doing with my book?” Hyuk joked.

Donghae’s eyes slowly opened. He got up and smiled when he noticed he made Hyuk’s book as a pillow, “That is what you call ‘modern reading’” he giggled.

Hyuk laughed, “Modern reading?”

Donghae smiled, “Yeah, when you sleep on a book, you automatically learn what’s inside of it. Trust me, it’s effective.”

“I’ll try to do that next time,” Hyuk smiled.

Donghae stretched out his arms and faced Hyukjae, “So, what can I help you with? Do you need anything?” he asked.

Hyukjae eyed him suspiciously, “Why are you being helpful?”

Hae gasped dramatically, acting shocked, “How dare you question my kindness?”

Hyukjae laughed, “Donghae, you and I both know that your name and ‘kindness’ doesn’t match.”

Donghae grabbed a pillow and smacked Hyukjae with it multiple times, “You’re so mean,” he pouted.

“Yeah and you’re so loud. I’m trying to study and I can’t because of your snoring,” Hyuk joked.

“I do not snore!” Hae defended, giving Hyuk another smack.

“Yes, you do!” Hyuk said.

Donghae suddenly jumped on top of Hyukjae and wrestled him. He was struggling to hit Hyuk but Hyuk held Donghae’s arms tight, not allowing the other to move. Hyukjae suddenly used his force to push Donghae down on the bed, completely changing their position. Hyukjae was now on top, panting in front of Donghae, still holding his arms down.

Donghae smirked, “You’re getting stronger.”

Hyukjae slowly backed away, noticing their awkward position, “Thank you,” he stood up and coughed, pretending nothing just happened, “Actually, Hae, could you get me some water? I’m kind of parched.”

Donghae also stood up and walked up to the bedroom door, “I’m on it,” he said and left.

Hyukjae then slumped himself down his bed, rethinking about this whole fake relationship thing. He ruffled his hair and banged his head on a pillow. They’ve wrestled before, yes. But what Hyuk had felt a while ago wasn’t like before.

He decided to go back to studying. He noticed Donghae’s absence was too long. He only said to get a glass of water. And knowing Donghae, he can’t possibly get lost at their house. He’s a regular at their house.

After a few minutes, Donghae went back inside with a bag of chips and holding 4 boxes of strawberry milk, “I went outside to buy something. I thought you could use some boosters,” he smiled. And Hyukjae just got more confused.

[Thursday]

Hyukjae went to school without his phone, tablet, laptop or any other ways he could have communication with Donghae. He wore a hood on top of his head when passing through Donghae’s classroom so he could avoid the boy in all possible costs. He only takes off the hoodie when he’s at class or when he knows Donghae is not there.

Thankfully, he got less stares from others today. He knew it was something about his outfit yesterday. He had to admit, he liked wearing those types of clothes. It made him feel like he’s not an outcast. But he didn’t like the attention because he wanted to stay like an outcast. And it’s all because of Donghae.

He hates it. He hates it that every time he and Donghae will do something they usually do before, his brain gives an alternative meaning about it. And he hates that Donghae acts as if nothing just happened easily. He makes Hyukjae think that he’s the abnormal one. So, he decided to stay away from Donghae.

Every time he sees Hae at the corner of his eye, he turns around and walks the other way. Good thing they don’t have classes together. He just wants to be invisible for Donghae even just for a day, just to see what it’s like.

So again, he decided to bail on lunch today and went to the library. He forgot his sandwich today and mentally cursed himself for doing so. Now, he’s like a criminal. Hungry, alone and hiding from someone, not that he minds being alone. But the hungry and hiding part is really tempting.


After their last period, Hyukjae stayed in their classroom for a while before coming out, knowing Donghae was probably at his locker. And he needed to get some stuff he needs for his exam tomorrow. And after 45 minutes, he went out and reached his locker in peace.

He opened it and took what he needed as quickly as he can. He closed and locked it and turned around, only regretting it after.

Right in front of him was Donghae with eyes filled with worry and relief at the same time. It made him feel weird again.

Donghae’s voice cracked a bit, “Where have you been? I thought you weren’t here?” he asked.

Hyukjae sighed. He can’t stand looking at Donghae like this, not while he’s still confused, “Donghae, I need to go. I’m sorry if I bailed on you again today but my mock exam is tomorrow and I need to focus as much as I can.”

Donghae nodded slowly, “I understand. Sorry for bothering you,” he said.

Hyukjae smiled softly, “You’re never bothering me. I just need some time for my dream. I’m helping you with yours. You’re helping me with mine. That was our thing, right?”

Donghae just nodded and Hyukjae pat his back, leaving.

+++

Hyukjae went home. He felt so dramatic right now. He felt like a jerk for being selfish. But it’s not the right time to think about all those things. His exam is tomorrow. But no matter how hard he tries, his mind goes back to his situation.

He felt like a douche bag when he left Donghae a while ago. He saw Hae’s teary eyes, yes. He saw some things in them, yes. But he still decided to be this douche bag.

He feels like he’s in need of proper advices right now. He decided to contact Heechul and meet him tomorrow, since Heechul is studying at KNU. He grabbed his phone and opened it. His eyes widened with 32 messages he received today, all coming from one number. Donghae’s number, of course.

“hyuk where are you? i didnt see you before homeroom”

“hyuk ahhhh. where art thou? its lunch alreadyyyyy”

“hyukjae dont you dare bail on me again.”

“im here with kyu and min at our lunch table. come here NOW”

“hyukjae at least answer my messages.”

“hyuk?”

“asdw”

“qiweojwd”

“ijweijdqnuif”

“ptbergkerngw”

“ANSWER MEEEEE”

“!!!!”

“hyuk im kidnapped help.”

“just kidding lol. NOW ANSWER ME.”

“hyukjae? are you sick?”

“get well soon, if you are”

“text me back or call me if you can, ok?”

“i miss you badly”

And here Hyukjae goes again, confused.

[Friday]

Hyukjae went out of the examination room, feeling confident as ever. He knows he didn’t score a perfect 100%, but he could be in the line of 90. He answered most of the questions correctly and he really feels good about it.

He was also feeling good about staying away from everything with a “Dong” and “Hae” in it. Though he is still confused, a school with complete strangers would be a nice way to think in. No distractions. No eyes judging your every move. It’s just you and your thoughts. Everything else is a big blur.

He grabbed his cellphone and texted Heechul.

“hyung where r u? –hyuk”

He could still use some intelligent advice from the Kim Heechul. Of course, he won’t reveal any identity while he’s telling his story. He’ll just ask in a generalized way.

His phone beeped.

“go 2 the fountain park. there’s a bench there. –hee”


He reached the fountain park and saw someone with long, curly, blondish-brown hair. At first look, you may think it’s a girl with short hair. But in reality, it’s just Kim Heechul. No one could classify Kim Heechul. No one would dare to.

He made his way to the bench and Heechul looked at him from head to toe and greeted him with a smirk, “Since when do you dress like a human?”

Hyukjae laughed. He was wearing one of the clothes he and Donghae bought; the one Donghae said was his favorite.

“Donghae taught me how to dress like this,” he looked at his outfit, “Is it okay?”

Heechul nodded, “I say, you look good in black.”

“Huh. I guess I’m taking advice from the right person,” he thought.

Heechul pointed to the seat next to him, allowing Hyuk to sit down, “So, what do you want, peasant?”

Hyuk chuckled, “I just need advice, hyung.”

Heechul sighed, “If it’s about getting in this school, I told you already, with your scores, you’re totally going to pass with flyi---“

Hyuk shook his head, “No, hyung. Not that. It’s about something else,” he said.

Heechul raised his brow, “Enlighten me, then.”

Hyukjae pointed at Heechul, “Promise you won’t judge me?”

Heechul slapped Hyukjae’s hand, “Don’t you dare point your finger at me ever again, you hear?” his eyes turned dark.

“Yes, sir,” Hyuk said, scared with Heechul’s tone

Heechul calmed down, “Okay, I won’t judge you.”

Hyuk sighed and started telling the story, “Pretend your friends with someone for a long, long time already.”

Heechul nodded, “Okay.”

“And you two do everything and anything together, like it was a usual thing,” Hyuk said and thought for a while, “Let’s say, you two always hug each other.”

Heechul nodded, “Continue.”

“And now, you feel weird about hugging that person. Your brain is giving another meaning about the hug or something. What is your brain trying to tell you?” Hyuk asked and looked at Heechul.

Heechul laughed, “Stupid monkey, your brain’s not the one giving another meaning. Your brain is the one that prevents those meanings.”

“What if your brain gives both meanings?” Hyuk asked.

“Your brain can’t give both meanings. You have two superiors in your body, Hyukjae. Your brain is the first one and your heart is the second one. Your heart is the one responsible for the other meaning,” Heechul smiled, “You must be into this person, whoever he/she is.”

Hyuk squinted his eyes, “What? No, I’m not into that person,” he rolled his eyes, “Is it even possible to like someone in just 4 days?” he whispered but it was enough for Heechul to hear.

“Hey, I liked Hangeng the first time I saw him,” Heechul defended, “And I’m sure you and this person goes way back, since you said you’re friends with them for a long time,” Heechul tilted his head, “This might be some late realizations. Maybe you liked him/her way back but only noticed it now.”

Hyuk got more confused, “What are you saying? I don’t like him!”

Heechul smirked, “Oh….he’s a boy, huh?” he chuckled, “Now, what you’re saying right now is what your brain wants you to think. It’s contradicting what your heart is saying,” he said.

Hyuk raised his brow, “Then, what is my heart saying?”

“It’s saying that you want to be with the boy but you can’t because something’s holding you back,” Heechul smirked, “Am I right?”

Hyukjae held his forehead. His head is already hurting with all the information.

Heechul held Hyuk’s back, soothing him, “What’s preventing you from chasing after him?”

Hyuk sighed. He needs to be frank so he could be satisfied, “He likes another person. And I’m supposed to help him be with that person. And I….I feel awkward with him now. I try to avoid him as much as possible and I’m still confused on what this feeling is because I am 100% that I don’t like him that way,” he denied.

Heechul shrugged, “Maybe you’re just in denial. Then again, I don’t know what I’m saying because when I want something, I go get it,” he chuckled, “But you should also test yourself. How far do you go to his extent?”

“I….I actually agreed on being his fake boyfriend just so he could get the guy he wants,” he shook himself for saying such words. Even he got shivers just by saying it.

Heechul suddenly laughed aloud. Hyukjae pouted, “You said you wouldn’t judge me!” Hyuk said.

Heechul calmed down from his laughter, “You are dumb, boy,” he said, still chuckling, “But you should also see how far he goes to his extent for you. I mean, you are not easy to handle,” he joked.

Hyukjae nodded. But after nodding, he felt confused, “Wait, what? What extent?”

Heechul sighed, “Let’s use me and Hangeng for example. He tries his best studying Korean for me even though he’s taking Chinese classes here at KNU. And me, well, I go to college,” he said.

“You go to college?” Hyuk asked, not understanding what Heechul meant by it.

“I mean, my modeling job is already paying me big time. I’m already casted for 3 more fashion shows and 5 more photo shoots the next 3 months. That’s already big. And I could make a living out of it. I could drop out from college and easily get a job. But because of Hangeng, I stay here. And you know how I hate studying,” Heechul said.

Hyuk sighed, envying Heechul’s and Hangeng’s relationship.

“Just remember, in order for this to work out, you need mutual understanding. It can’t be one-sided, okay?” Heechul said

Hyukjae nodded, finally understanding what Heechul meant by it, “Okay, hyung. I understand now. Thank you,” he opened his arms and tried to hug Heechul.

Heechul accepted the hug, “Be careful with my hair. It’s newly styled,” he joked. They broke away from the hug, “Update me with what happens to your first love story ever, huh?”

Hyukjae got shy, “It’s not my first love story,” he defended.

“Yeah, sure. Whatever satisfies you,” Heechul joked.

“I should get going, hyung. It’s a 2-hour commute to go home,” Hyuk said, standing up.

“Okay, let’s catch up, huh? Maybe next week with the rest of the gang?” Heechul said.

Hyukjae smiled, “Sure, that would be great.”

They said their final goodbyes and Hyukjae left Heechul there, waiting for Hangeng to pick him up.


He went outside KNU and looked at his watch. It was already 2PM. It was already 30 minutes after their last period. He breathed out and thanked heavens for the quiet day. He walked a bit further and decided to eat lunch since he hasn’t eaten yet.

He went outside the gate and saw a guy standing near it wearing a jeaned rolled up long sleeves, black pants and sneakers. He literally froze at his spot when he saw Donghae standing there, waiting for him.

…you should also see how far he goes to his extent for you…

Donghae’s eyes landed on him and smiled. Donghae went closer to him and said,

“Do you want to have lunch together?” 

===

[A/N] Again, I'm trying to finish this story before the last week of May (start of classes) 
So, hopefully, daily updates (?) IDK anymore 
So, I combined three days because I am very lazy 
And because 1 chapter per day in their life takes 2 or 3 days to make -_- 
Because, again, I'm very lazy.

BTW To all early readers of the previous chapter, I am so sorry I pasted it twice (I use microsoft word to type it)

Any comments on this chapter? Suggestions? I'd love to hear from you!

xoxoxo
--smiling angel--