Prologue

Best(Boy)Friend

 

The school best just rung and last period just ended. Hyukjae is now walking down the corridor along with a hundred other students. The others were heading straight towards the main gate to leave the school, since it is a Friday and they are high school students. But instead of following the trend, Hyukjae turned right to another corridor heading towards the school library.

He is a consistent honors student. And now that he is a senior, he wouldn’t miss the chance to go to his dream university, Korea National University, without any fees because of his full scholarship. But to achieve that goal, he has to work double time since the entrance exam at KNU is the most difficult to pass compared to other entrance exams.

He steps inside and greets the librarian, who only “shushed” him in response. He laughed a bit. The librarian has been doing that to him ever since his first visit here. He continued walking towards the A section and looked for any book related to accounting. He’s planning on taking up managerial accounting as his course so he could stay close to his fortes, basic math and business.

As he is searching for a book, someone suddenly jumped on him and hugged him.

Hyukjae was startled and looked at the person that did so. It was just Donghae, his best friend since their diaper days. He let out a loud chuckle which made the librarian go “shhhhh” once again. The two boys looked at each other and let out silent laughs.

Hyukjae suddenly noticed that it was weird that Donghae was in the library. How long has Donghae been there? Donghae doesn’t read, at least not intentionally. He’s just forced to do it so he could pass exams and graduate. Other than that, Donghae is a real party goer. He dances and everything. He belongs to the popular crowd while Hyukjae is just…Hyukjae. He doesn’t do parties and stuff like that.

Hyukjae suddenly looks serious and asked as softly as he could, “What are you doing here?”

Donghae smiled, answering at the same volume, “I’m here to fetch you.”

“Fetch me for what?” Hyuk’s eyebrows met.

“To go to Shindong hyung’s birthday tonight.” Donghae said casually. “You didn’t forget, did you?” he asked

“. I forgot about Donghee hyung’s birthday.” Hyukjae thought and mentally slapped himself.

Donghae looked at Hyuk’s blank face in disbelief. Hyuk’s lack of words made Donghae say, “You did forget!” Donghae chuckled bitterly and continued, “But you are going to tonight’s party, right?”

Hyukjae looked at his friend’s eyes and felt guilty. Donghae was hoping for him to say yes. He kept eye contact until he couldn’t anymore and just sighed.

Donghae stared at Hyuk’s down face, “Is your studies really that important for you to forget your friends, Hyukjae?”

Hyuk stared back at Donghae, “Hae, you know that’s not true. I just---“

Donghae snapped, his voice getting louder, “You just, what, Hyukjae? Oh, I know. You just don’t care about us anymore even though you know this is probably the last year we will spend as a complete group. No, you’re studies are more important. I get it.”

The librarian shushed them a bit louder and longer this time.

Hyukjae breathed out heavily, “Donghae, you know how important this scholarship is to me.”

Donghae’s face turned from frowning to blank, “I know, Hyuk. I just….I just wish the six of us would be able to hang out more like we used to when we were kids.” Hae sighed, “Shindong has this video production thing, Leeteuk has his student council to handle, Kyuhyun is too busy with Sungmin, Heechul is busy with his part-time modeling job, I am occupied with the dance society and you’re with your academics scholarship thing. And maybe, hyung’s birthday would be a day when we are finally complete but I guess I’m too ahead of myself again.”

Hyukjae noticed pure sincerity in Hae’s eyes and felt a pang in his heart. Hyuk had never seen this type of look on Donghae before except for the time Hae and Siwon broke up because of things that are unacceptable.

Hyukjae tried comforting the younger, “Donghae, I’m so sorry. I---“

“No, Hyuk. I’m sorry I tired.” Hae laughed a fake one and slowly left.

And Hyuk just stared at Donghae’s figure disappearing from his sight. He sighed, turned back to the book shelves and grabbed the first accounting book that he thought was good. (Yes, he judges books by its cover *and title and author*)

He went to the nearest empty table and slumped down to it, feeling like . He just stared at the book, not knowing what to do. Donghae’s words replayed in his mind. And once again, he felt like .

He can’t hide the fact that he does miss their gang. The six of them, Leeteuk, Shindong, Kyuhyun, Heechul, Donghae and him, were inseparable before. They met during pre-school and got close to each other since then. They would schedule sleep overs during weekends when they were in middle school. They were back-ups every time someone has a date in case something goes wrong. They always had each other.

But just recently, they had started drifting apart. Their schedules and plans always crashed these past few months and it made Hyuk really sad. It is also one of the reasons why he started focusing on his college applications. He had no one to run to. And every time he meets Donghae, he’s with people who are as famous as him. Hyukjae felt alone and academics was his answer to loneliness.

He shook his head and looked around, seeing a few familiar faces. The people around him are also seniors, but they aren’t here for the same reason as him. There were couples trying to flirt and some slacker sleeping.

He led his focus back on the book and opened it. A paper fell out of it and landed on the floor. Hyuk picked it up and it read:

Hyukjae,

I knew you would pick this book because of the cover and title.
By the end of the day, it is still Shindong’s birthday and we are still a team. If you ever change your mind, text me and I’ll give you the address of the party.

-Donghae

Hyuk was left in awe but wasn’t surprised. He knew that Donghae knew his preference of books even if Donghae has no interest in them. He smiled a bit and his mind wandered around.

He suddenly grabbed his phone and tapped on the message icon, sending Donghae a text.

+++

Hyukjae got dressed in a loose statement shirt, ripped pants, sandals and a beanie. He didn’t get the chance to read the book he got from the library so he borrowed it. (The librarian was eyeing him weirdly throughout the entire transaction) He went home after borrowing the book to get ready for Shindong’s birthday celebration. After getting dressed, he received a text message from Donghae about where the small gathering was going to be held and left immediately since he knows how Shindong doesn’t like late comers.


He arrived at Nari’s home. Nari is Shindong’s girlfriend for 3 years already. He still can’t believe how lucky his hyung is to have a girlfriend like her.

He reached the front of the door and knocked, feeling anxious. Shindong opened the door and greeted Hyukjae with a big smile. Shindong shouted, “Guys! The monkey is here!” and cheers were heard from the back.

He smiled and opened his arms wide to hug Shindong, “Happy Birthday, bro.”

Shindong hugged back and they released from the hug, “Come in, dude. You’re the last one we’re waiting for.” He said and let Hyukjae enter.

They made their way to the party room. He looked around and saw everyone was there. Leeteuk, Heechul, Hangeng (Heechul’s boyfriend), Shindong, Nari, Sungmin (Kyuhyun’s boyfriend), Kyuhyun, Donghae and him.

 Hyukjae was greeted with cheers and a bit of teasing, but he was happy nonetheless. He was with his second family. He happily responded to every word said to him.

Donghae made his way to Hyukjae, “I knew you would pick that book.” Hae smirked.

“You know me too well to not know,” Hyuk smiled.

The two men made their way to the couch and Hyuk was greeted by their eldest, Leeteuk.

Leeteuk put an arm on his shoulders, “Hyukjae! How are you?”

Hyuk smiled, “Wow, you don’t really ask me that before, hyung. Has college really changed you?”

Leeteuk slapped his head lightly, “Way to kill the mood genius. I was trying to be nice.”

Hyuk laughed cheekily, “Well, don’t try. It doesn’t suit you.”

“Har. Bloody. Har.” Leeteuk said, “So, how’s your application going on?”

Hyuk sighed, “I’m trying to apply to as much colleges as I can but my main priority is KNU.”

Hae suddenly in, “Studies is the reason why he almost ditched us tonight.”

Leeteuk shook his head, “Ahhh. That’s bad, dude. You’ve got to chill. Life isn’t about scores, you know?”

“I know, hyung. I just need the scholarship to help my parents, that’s it.” Hyuk said.

“I understand. But you have to let loose sometimes. If it’s meant for you, then it is. If it isn’t, well, life works that way. Just know you did your best and life will be good to you.” Leeteuk smiled.

“Thanks, hyung.” Hyuk said and showed his prized gummy smile.

“Yeah, thank you Teuk hyung for making him understand that!” Hae sassed.

Teuk looked at Donghae and flicked his forehead, “And you. You party too much these days, huh.”

Donghae yelped at the pain and rubbed the targeted spot, “Only twice a week.” He defended. Teuk and Hyuk eyed him suspiciously. Donghae felt teamed up on and admitted, “Okay, maybe thrice or for times a week.”

Leeteuk sighed, “Donghae, it’s good that you’re enjoying your young days. But to give you my opinion, you’ll probably---“

Donghae’s phone suddenly rang, “I’ll be right back.” He quickly left the two to answer his call.

Teuk faced Hyuk again, “What’s up with him?” he said as he grabbed his can of 7up from the center table.

Hyuk also grabbed his can of root beer, “I don’t know.” And simply brushed it off.

Hyuk’s response made him sound like he didn’t care. But in his thoughts, he wondered  who would possibly call Donghae at this hour? It could be his mom or his brother. But different possibilities entered his mind. But he knew Donghae could handle it by himself. So, technically, he does not care.

After a few minutes, Donghae returned and said, “Hyukjae, can I talk to you outside for a minute?”

Hyukjae looked surprised. He knows if it’s not a sensitive topic to Hae, he wouldn’t mind saying it to them. He stared at Hae and noticed his eyes filled with confusion. So he quickly got up and went outside with Donghae.

Once they had reached the front lawn of Nari’s house, Donghae started pacing back and forth. He also started biting his fingernails, something he does only in front of the gang when he’s uncomfortable. He’s mumbling words so soft that Hyukjae couldn’t identify what he was saying.

“What’s wrong, Hae?” Hyuk asked.

Donghae stopped pacing, dropped his hand from his mouth, stared at Hyuk, now with fright in his eyes and said with his voice cracking, “He’s back”

And with those two words, Donghae suddenly broke down on the ground, his eyes letting out tears as if he hadn’t cried in years. Hyukjae quickly bent down and supported his friend, those two words still replaying in his head.

“He? Who is ‘He’?” Hyukjae thought and tried to remember any man that got along with Donghae.

And the first person that came to his mind was Choi Siwon, Donghae’s first true love and first heartbreak.

Donghae and Siwon had a secret relationship because Siwon wanted it to be. Everyone thought they were just really good friends. Until one day, a girl came near Donghae, confessed to him and kissed him. That was when Donghae had admitted to the girl that he had a boyfriend, that Siwon was his boyfriend. And after that, the news spread out like crazy. The first few months after the public accepted them were great. Donghae had never been happier. But then Siwon said he wanted to end things with Donghae because he was tired of people watching their every move. It completely broke Donghae. After that, Siwon left for America to study there.

Up to now, Donghae’s never had a relationship after Siwon since he still have his hopes up that Siwon still loves him and that they will get back together once Siwon returns. Now, Siwon is back.

Hyuk slowly rubbed Donghae’s back to relieve him, “So, what does he need in Korea?”

“He’s going to finish his senior year at our school and study at a university here in Seoul.” Donghae’s voice sounded hopeful.

“So, what are your plans?” Hyukjae asked.

Donghae sniffed and shook his head slowly, “I don’t know.” he chuckled a bit, “I never actually thought he would return. I mean I hoped for his return.” Hae looked straight down to the grass. “Now that he’s here, I really don’t know what to do.”

Hyuk sighed, “Donghae, if there’s anything I could do to help you get through this, just tell me.”

Donghae laughed, “I wish there was, Hyuk. I wish I had a plan.” He stared deeply in the night sky. Hyukjae looked at him and saw Hae’s eyes twinkle. Donghae looked back at Hyukjae, now staring at each other. “Maybe there is a way you could help me.” Donghae said with a wicked grin on his face.

Hyuk did not follow any of Donghae’s clues, “What do you mean?”

Donghae wiped his tears away and cleared his throat, “How would you like to become my fake boyfriend?”