Confusion

Best(Boy)Friend

CHAPTER THREE

The next day

It was already lunch time at their school. 4 subjects were already done for the day and 4 subjects are left and Hyukjae didn’t even notice it. The first four subjects were merely a discussion about what he learned last month (because it was included at the entrance test for KNU). He was feeling good about the day.

In the morning, his mom woke him up with the smell of pancakes for breakfast (he doesn’t know why), his sister who’s already working gave him extra allowance, he entered the school without being acknowledged (he dislikes people, strangers, at least), he aced his quizzes without needing to listen to the teacher’s lesson and now it was lunch time and the cafeteria served their classic fettuccine pasta.

Though his mood was up, he couldn’t help but feel that something’s going to go wrong.

He hasn’t seen Donghae since this morning. He thought the boy must have been lazy to get out of bed again and chuckled. Donghae still hasn’t told Hyuk what happened with him and Siwon yesterday. Hyuk was pretty sure that Hae would tell the story with mini squeals and a lot of hitting.

Hyuk sat down at his usual table, alone. He took out his earphones and plugged it in his ear without the music. He likes to think of it as a prop to get everyone away from him, isolating himself. He grabbed his fork and dug in to his pasta.

Hyuk heard footsteps here and there, passing by him. He then heard those steps stopped at a very close distance from him but he didn’t dare to look up. He continued eating, chewing and drinking. He heard someone clear his throat and it sounded like he was standing at the side of Hyuk’s table.

“I have pretend earphones, dude. I can’t hear your throat clearing,”  He thought and smirked a bit

“Hyukjae hyung,” the person spoke up.

Hyukjae recognized the voice immediately and looked up. It was Kyuhyun. (With Sungmin, of course) Hyuk took off the earphones and greeted them, “Hey, what’s up?”

“Can we sit with you?” Kyuhyun asked, already knowing Hyuk’s answer. He put down his tray at the table and sat beside Hyukjae. Sungmin did the same and sat across Kyuhyun. Hyuk didn’t mind that Kyuhyun did not wait for his approval. He (kind of) liked being with good company.

Hyuk kept his earphones on his ears and continued eating as if no one was seated with him. Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun worriedly and Kyuhyun nodded.

“Hyung,” Kyuhyun started.

“What?” Hyuk gave a short response

“I want to ask you about something,” Kyuhyun shyly said and grabbed his nape.

Hyuk decided to keep the earphones in his bag, “About what?”

Kyuhyun looked down, “You know…..about you and Donghae hyung,”

Hyukjae almost coughed in surprise. He, again, completely forgot about including their friends in the act. And by this time, he knew it was time to act, again. He kept his composure and put on his boyfriend mask, “And what about us?” he sounded strict

Kyuhyun bit his lip. Sungmin looked worriedly at Kyu and whispered, “Kyu, I don’t think it’s time to tell him this.”

Hyukjae heard the barely heard the whisper and said, “Tell me what?” his brows furrowed.

“Whether it is the time or not Sungmin, he has the right to know,” Kyuhyun looked sideways to avoid Hyuk’s stare.

Hyuk’s brows became one, “The right to know about what?” Hyuk sighed, “Tell me!” he slammed the table. Sungmin flinched at his action.

Kyuhyun sighed, “You do know he’s cheating on you, right?” Kyuhyun said and looked at Hyukjae.

Hyukjae finally let a wicked chuckle and looked at his side, “Oh, boy. This is going to be fun,” he thought.

“Cheating on me? With whom? Siwon?” Hyuk laughed bitterly, “You have got to be kidding me.”

Kyuhyun and Sungmin looked at each other and let out a breath at the same time. Sungmin shook his head and giving an expression to Kyuhyun that’s saying I told you so.

Hyukjae was actually worried when they had to face Siwon for the first time in front of Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun is a very smart kid. Academic wise, he skipped a grade (He’s two years younger than Hyukjae and only a year younger at school. Hyukjae = Senior; Kyuhyun = Junior). And street wise, he is no joke either. You can’t even pull a prank on him without getting caught first. (He got that one from Heechul)

But since Sungmin was there who actually bought Donghae and Hyukjae’s lies, Kyuhyun was powerless. I guess the saying is true that everyone has a weakness.

Kyuhyun looked at Hyuk, “Hyung, we’re being serious. We know Donghae hyung is not like that. He’s very sweet and kind and I actually thought that he was too good for you,” Kyu said and Hyukjae blinked at his statement, “But yesterday, we caught him with Siwon. And you know how he was before with that monster of a campus prince,” he said sincerely.

Hyukjae suddenly changed his emotion from confident to scared, still acting his part, “Wh-what do you mean?” his eyes altered from Kyuhyun to Sungmin.

Sungmin told the story, “We were walking home when we passed through an ice cream shop. Kyuhyun noticed Donghae’s figure and guessed he was with you. But then we saw a taller man with him with brown hair and highlights and we knew it wasn’t you. So we decided to investigate.”

Hyuk tried to give a worried smile, “They’re just going out for ice cream. There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s a friendly gesture,” he said, emphasizing the word ‘friendly’.

Kyuhyun continued, “We entered the shop---”

Hyuk cut him off, “Wait, so you’re telling me, you stalked them.”

“Yes! Wouldn’t you do the same when you see your friend who’s in a relationship with your other friend with his ex, flirting?” Kyuhyun asked sarcastically.

Hyuk nodded, “Point taken.” He said, “But still, you don’t have the right to do that. He’s my responsibility.” He said angrily.

“Hear us out first, Hyuk. We’re just worried about your relationship. We don’t want that campus dog ruining what are between you two,” Sungmin said.

Hyukjae looked curious because he was actually curious, “And why the are you worried about our relationship?”

Sungmin suddenly blushed and Kyuhyun cleared his throat, “Because we knew you two were perfect for each other, ever since the day we met you.” Kyuhyun said and smiled.

Hyukjae’s confusion got bigger and this time, he wasn’t acting anymore. He felt weirded out. He sees that not only Kyuhyun was at this page but also Sungmin. How the hell could they say those things? He shook his head, feeling a bit dizzy.

“Wait, h-how? What?” Hyuk said and held his forehead to prevent his head from hurting more.

Sungmin smiled, “When Donghae and Siwon got together, in everyone’s eyes, they were the perfect couple. But they were counted as Siwon and Donghae.” He emphasized the two names that they were separated, “But when it comes to you two, you were a duo. You were like slippers, it wouldn’t be the same without the other pair.”

Hyuk’s brows met but he remembered he had an act to portray. He stood up, grabbed his things and said, “Well, thank you for that compliment about me and Hae. Really, I appreciate it. But I think I should be the one asking him about this and I shouldn’t just get information from others, even if they are the closest people we have in this school,” He slowly backed away from the table, “I have trust in Donghae. Don’t ruin it for him, okay?” he said and moved away, leaving Kyuhyun, Sungmin and his food at the table.

Hyukjae smirked at what he just showed. So much for acting.

+++

After last period, Hyukjae went to his locker to leave some of his books. He decided to take a break from studying that day since he had no homework and he had already finished all the projects he had been assigned to.

While he was in the middle of doing so, he received a text. He checked it and it was from Donghae.

hey hyuk. dont ask y im absent. just meet me outside the school at the empty lot. and dont even dare ditch me 4 ur school thingys. just go here. –haehae

He sighed and thanked God that he didn’t have plans to study tonight. Or Donghae will ruin his plans, again. He quickly zipped his backpack and locked his locker. He was walking forward when he stopped by the bulletin board and saw a flyer about the school play auditions.

It had no final details, only the date and place. It will be a week before their graduation day at the school auditorium. It said nothing about what was the play to be portrayed and it said it would be revealed in a week.

He thought twice. Now that Siwon’s back, everyone, even teachers, would want him to be the lead. Hyukjae was just a substitute while he was gone. And with all those time practicing, he could instead use them to review or something else that’s beneficial to him.

Hyukjae looked away from the flyer and went straight for the school exit.


He spotted Donghae wearing a plain white t-shirt, black pants, sandals and specs. He was sitting at the bench across the road of their school. He was looking for something, or someone. Hyuk chuckled, knowing that he was looking for Siwon, again.

Hyuk remembered what Kyuhyun and Sungmin said about them being for each other. He immediately shook it off. He knows what he wants and it’s obvious who Donghae wants. They’re just familiar with each other.

Hyukjae made his way to his friend. Donghae eyes kept looking until his eyes found Hyukjae and he smiled. Hyukjae returned the smile and reached his side.

Donghae stood up, “Hey,” he smiled and threw his arms at Hyuk, giving him a hug.

Hyuk was surprised by the action. Donghae’s face suddenly nuzzled at his neck, “I just saw him looking at our way. Just do it.” Donghae whispered.

Hyuk showed his gums when he smiled and returned the hug. He didn’t want to admit it, but Donghae’s hugs were very comforting. They’re used to hugging each other whether there’s an occasion or none, whether the other has a problem or none. Being together for almost 18 years, who wouldn’t be used to someone’s hugs?

They pull away from each other’s arms. Donghae bit his lower lip looked away awkwardly. He looked at Hyukjae, “He’s gone,” he said and laughed.

Hyuk also chuckled, “Yeah, I figured.” He said, “So, how was yesterday?” he asked and they started walking.

Donghae laughed, “It went really great. I had so much fun with him! But he seemed to have changed a bit,” he stopped and looked at the side, “Okay, maybe he had changed, a lot.”

“Changed? In what way?” Hyuk asked.

“You know, his tastes changed. He doesn’t like movies anymore and prefers live operas more. He likes The Beatles over Maroon 5. He likes black more than white. Those types of changes,” Hae slapped Hyuk’s arm, “Do you know he orders plain chocolate ice cream? I mean, who orders chocolate ice cream without toppings or even just a syrup or something.” He laughed.

“Oh, so you still notice small things about him?” Hyuk smirked and pushed his friend.

Donghae laughed, “I notice little things with everyone!”

Hyuk smiled, “You do?” he asked and Donghae nodded, “Then, what do I prefer in ice creams?” he asked to test his friend.

Donghae smirked, “Easy. You like cookies and cream, no additional topping. And if not available, anything with chunks in them, like vanilla graham or brownie cream. And if no chunks, plain strawberry with chocolate syrup and cherries would be taken.”

Hyukjae laughed at the accuracy of Donghae’s answer, “I guess you do notice every little thing about others,” he said and Donghae smiled and did a fist pump in victory.

They continued walking in silence. And because of all the ice cream talks, he remembered Kyuhyun and Sungmin.

Hyuk started the conversation, “You know, Kyuhyun and Sungmin approached me later,” he laughed, “We have got to tell these people the truth already before they ruin everything.”

Donghae smiled, “What did they say?”

“They thought you were cheating on me. They saw you two at the ice cream shop,” Hyuk said, “I almost burst out laughing inside. Good thing I’m a professional actor, though,” he laughed.

“Of course you are,” Donghae joked and laughed a bit. His face showed a bit of worry, “They saw us?”

Hyuk’s smile widened, “Not only saw you, they spied on you,” he laughed, “I almost broke down there.”

Donghae got embarrassed, “Ugh, now I feel so bad. We’re lying to our friends,”

Hyuk frowned, “Yeah, isn’t that what you’re doing to Siwon, too?” he asked in a serious tone.

Donghae stopped talking for a while and they walked in silence once again. Hyuk knew he sort of crossed the line. And for the first time in their 18 years of being together, there was an awkward silence between them.

“We’re probably going to get caught in 3 weeks tops.” Donghae suddenly cracked a joke.

Hyuk sighed in relief, “I thought you were mad, Hae,”

Donghae laughed, “Why would I be mad, silly?” he said and faced Hyuk, “Let’s just enjoy this mini drama while it lasts. Who knows, it might end tomorrow because Kyuhyun is such a smart .” He joked.

Hyuk smiled, “And Kyu will probably tell Heechul and we’ll both be doomed,” he said.

“Or they would help us. Best case scenario. Optimist much,” Donghae joked and they both laughed.

“Well, at least you now know that you still have a chance with Siwon,” Hyuk said.

Donghae smiled, “Yeah, even after years, we still have the spark.”

Hyuk laughed a bit hearing his friend talk so dreamy about a guy. Hyukjae hasn’t experienced his first love, yet. Yes, he’s had crushes, but he just brushed them off. They weren’t as nice as they look, which should’ve taught Hyuk to never judge a book by its cover, but he still does it.

“Well, good for you,” Hyuk said.

Donghae turned to his friend, “What about you? When will you introduce your special someone to me?” he smiled.

Hyukjae thought for a moment, “Does Choco count? I mean, she is a female…dog.” He joked,

Donghae laughed, “Hyuk, I’m serious. When was the last time you had dated?”

“Around…..3 years ago, maybe? I don’t know and I don’t care,” Hyuk said and rolled his eyes.

Donghae gasped, “Seriously? Three years ago?”

“Says the person that waited 2 years for his ex,” Hyukjae smirked.

“Touché, my friend,” Hae said and laughed, “But seriously, Hyuk. We have got to get you back in the game, soon.”

Hyuk shrugged, “Meh, I don’t see anyone worthy,” he joked and Donghae responded by faking a barf.

“Well, you’re my boyfriend, or at least my fake boyfriend,” Donghae laughed, “And while you’re with me, you need to look at your best as possible. So when I break up with you, you could easily find a replacement,” Donghae said. He took Hyuk’s hand, “We are going to the mall and buy you clothes,”

Hyuk’s eyes widened, “Donghae! I don’t have money right now,” he said.

“Who said you’re going to pay?” Donghae said. He took out a black card that had his brother’s name on it, “Donghwa is paying for it,” he laughed.

Hyuk was about to say something but Donghae cut him off, “And yes, I asked his permission,” Hae said.

“You asked his permission to use his credit card to buy me clothes?! That makes a lot of sense!” Hyuk sarcastically exclaimed.

Donghae laughed, “Actually, yes. You know how strong your connection with my brother is. He likes you better than me,” he joked.

Hyukjae gulped. He knew what he will go through when he’s shopping with Donghae. He was about to say something but Donghae cut him off, again, “Let’s go!”

+++

They reached the mall and Donghae’s eyes sparkled. Almost everything was on sale. He grabbed Hyuk’s hand and dragged him to the male section. Hyukjae was never the shopaholic type. It probably explains why he’s always wearing statement shirts and jeans. This is why he doesn’t like shopping with Donghae. Donghae is like a girl when he picks clothes.

“Hyukjae come here!” Donghae shouted.

Hyukjae followed what Donghae said and he was drowned in clothes. Donghae kept throwing him clothes that he thinks will look good on him. From shirts to polo shirts to three fourths to baseball shirts to checkered long sleeves to cardigans to khaki shorts to jeaned shorts and even colored pants.

“Donghae! Donghae! Stop!” Hyukjae tried to scream but Donghae can’t hear him. He was already under the mountain of clothes Donghae threw to him.

“Hmmm? What was that, Hyuk?” Donghae asked and turned to his friend, “Oh, right. Let’s go to the fitting room.”

He went behind Hyukjae and pushed him from his back to the fitting room. They both entered. Donghae locked the door and Hyukjae threw all the clothes at the floor and breathed heavily. Donghae looked at him and laughed. Hyukjae sarcastically copied his laugh, mocking Donghae.

“Well, what are you waiting for? Get and try those on,” Donghae said.

“Dude, you’re still here. How am I supposed to get ?” Hyuk asked.

Donghae rolled his eyes, “Please, Hyukjae. We already saw each other . And fully . Remember our baths together?”

“We were kids back then, Donghae,” Hyuk reasoned.

“And here, you’re keeping your underwear. So it’s okay,” he said and Hyuk just rolled his eyes. Donghae went closer to the pile of clothes and started matching them, tops and bottoms, “Start with this one,” he said.

It was a plain white shirt and blue jeaned long sleeve and brownish shorts. Hyukjae eyed Donghae and took the clothes from his hands, “I hate you so much. I hate you and your specs,”

Donghae smiled, “Please, you love me and my specs,” he joked and they both laughed.

Hyuk started taking off his top and jeans that he wore coming here. Donghae stared at Hyuk and smirked, “Why do you still have time to work out with all your academics?”

Hyukjae just smirked back. He was still packed with abs and his biceps were clearly showing, “Summer. I need to thank summer vacations for giving me this body,” he laughed, “Like what you see?” he joked.

Donghae rolled his eyes, “Siwon has that, too, you know,”

“Maybe. You’ll never know if he grew fat over those 2 years.” Hyuk joked.

Donghae rolled his eyes and started matching other clothes, “After measuring those, show them to me and I’ll tell the verdict.”

“Yes, boss,” Hyukjae said

He immediately went to Donghae after wearing the first batch of clothes, “How do I look?”

Donghae stopped matching clothes, looked up and smiled a bit, “You really have no idea how to style yourself, huh?” he stood up and went near Hyuk and started rolling up the sleeves of his long sleeves. Hyukjae just stared at Donghae while he was doing the action, feeling a bit weird about it. He shook whatever thoughts he had and looked away.

After rolling up his sleeves, Donghae looked at him from head to toe, “Yeah, you look good. We’re taking those. Put them at one side and get the next batch of clothes there,” he said and pointed at the matched clothes lined up for Hyuk to try on.

“Ugh, this is going to be a long day,” Hyuk said and starting taking off what he was wearing and stared at the next thing he was going to wear, “Really, Donghae?”

It was a white and blue striped shirt, a light violet cardigan and a peach-colored pants.

“What?” Donghae looked at what Hyukjae was looking at and rolled his eyes, “Oh just ing try it on,”

Hyukjae laughed and put it on, suddenly remembering something, “So, the school play flyer is up.”

Donghae smiled, “Really? What’s the play about?”

Hyuk shrugged and walked up to Donghae, “I don’t know. It only included the date and place of auditions.”

Donghae looked at what Hyuk was wearing and nodded, “See, it looks good on you.”

“But I feel weird…and colorful,” Hyukjae pouted.

Donghae laughed, “You look great, don’t worry,” he said and Hyuk started taking it off, “Here, try this on.”

Donghae handed him a plain black shirt, a black and red checkered long sleeved collared shirt, and black skinny jeans. Hyukjae took them from Hae’s hands and started putting them on.

“So, you think I should audition this year?” Hyukjae bluntly asked Donghae.

Donghae raised a brow, “And why wouldn’t you audition?”

“Well, Siwon’s back and I’m pretty sure he’ll be the lead. And I’m pretty bad at being an antagonist or any other roles. Trust me, I tried playing those roles,” Hyuk said.

“Well, if you’re asking my opinion, I think you’ll get the lead and Siwon would be just a support or something,” Donghae said.

Hyuk smirked, “You’re just saying that because I’m here. But when you’re in front of him, of course you’ll say he’ll get the lead,” he joked.

“I’m serious, Hyuk. He’s good but I’ve seen you act. You’re better by far. And I should be the one to be able to compare my ex to my current boyfriend,” Hae said and laughed.

“Sure,” Hyuk went near Donghae again to get the other’s opinion, “Well?” he asked and looked at Donghae.

Donghae looked at him and their eyes locked for a while. Hyukjae’s stomach suddenly turned upside down. He felt weird. He never thought locking eyes with Donghae would have this effect on him. It felt inappropriate but it felt right at the same time. Again, he shook himself and mentally slapped his thoughts away from him.

Donghae looked at him from top to bottom and twisted his lips, “Something’s missing,” he said and stood up.

Hae looked around and saw a basket of accessories inside the fitting room. He went near and grabbed the fedora hidden under the belts. He went closer to Hyukjae and looked at him and Hyuk looked at him back. He stopped right in front of Hyuk and personally put the fedora on Hyuk’s head, not breaking their eye contact.

Donghae smiled, “Look at you,” he looked at Hyuk from head to toe again, “I think this is my favorite so far. Black looks good on you,” he looked down, “And so those skinny jeans,” he smiled at him.

Hyuk gave a small smile, “I thought you like white better than black?”

Donghae tilted his head from side to side, “Well, now that I think about it,” he smiled at Hyukjae and looked deep in his eyes, “Black does look better than white,” 

 

===

[A/N] Wahwahwah this chapter is so much. Yeah it's so fast paced. 
But the fast paced thing would just ruin them haha so yeah I prefer ruining them XD
I am having so much fun while writing this chapter *0* 

(OMG I just found out I pasted it twice ugh so embarrassing >< Sorry about that~ Forgive me juseyoooo)

Let me know your thoughts about this chapter~

xoxoxo
--smiling angel--