Falling into his Trap

Best(Boy)Friend

CHAPTER ONE

“How would you like to become my fake boyfriend?”

Hyukjae was startled by Donghae’s words and backed away from the boy. He could not believe Donghae would think of such thing. Donghae was a nice guy. Hyukjae never thought love (or obsession) would ruin that image of his. Hyukjae stared at Donghae with disbelief, shaking his head while chuckling, hoping that Donghae was just kidding.

Hyukjae gave a big smile to ease the awkwardness, “You’re…You’re joking right, Hae?” he asked.

Donghae had a blank face for an expression, “I think I heard you clear when you said you would do anything to help me get through this bull?” he sassed back.

“Yes, Donghae. Get through. Which means, I’ll help you move on. I’m not there to be your fake boyfriend, Hae. That’s just too much for me.” Hyukjae said and stood up.

Donghae followed him and stood up as well, “Come on, Hyuk. What’s wrong with that idea? I mean, it’s full proof.” he said, still trying to convince Hyukjae to help him.

“Full proof?” Hyukjae laughed. “Donghae I could give you a million reasons why that plan won’t work out.”

Donghae did not look impressed or happy by Hyuk’s words, “Oh, yeah? Enlighten me with these reasons.” he challenged the other.

Hyuk gave a smug smirk, “Are we seriously going to go through this?” he asked. Donghae replied by keeping the same face he gave earlier, unimpressed and in need of a good answer.

Hyukjae sighed, “If you say so.” He smiled. He looked at Donghae, matching his expression and started talking again, “Number One, I don’t like you.” Hyukjae said and Donghae raised a brow. Hyukjae suddenly took it back, “I mean, I don’t like you like you. I like you as a person and as my best friend but it’s nothing more than that, Donghae.”

Donghae clucked his tongue, “We can act the roles, Hyuk. I’ve seen you act in school plays. You’re a natural. And not to brag, but I think I can match your acting skills. It’s just a pretend relationship! No need for commitment. And when Siwon takes me back, it’s like it never happened and we’re best friends again.” he said casually.

Hyukjae shook his head, trying to analyze what Donghae just said. He mentally slapped himself for thinking that that was a rational explanation and continued, “Number Two, what about our friends? They will probably get suspicious since they know something’s up.” he said and crossed his arms.

Donghae chuckled, “Easy, dude. Then, we’ll get them in the plan, too. They could help us convince Siwon to take me back.”

“And what if they don’t agree?” Hyuk questioned.

“Pshh. I know those boys. For sure they will help.” Donghae said with full confidence.

Hyukjae shook his head yet again, “How are you even sure that Siwon will hang out with us?”

“I just know he will. He has no more friends from other grades since all our friends….err his friends had already graduated and are in universities. And of course, he is not familiar with the school anymore so he has no choice but to hang with us, the only people left he is close with.” Donghae said like he had planned these answers months ago.

Hyukjae breathed out and said another reason, “Number Three, my academics.” He said and immediately knew what Donghae’s reaction would be. Just a while ago at the library they fought about Hyuk’s academics being an unacceptable reason to not be there for their friends.

“This again, Hyukjae? Seriously?” Donghae sighed. “I’m asking you this one favor. This is possibly the only favor I have asked you ever since we were little boys. And you give me this as a reason?” He bitterly chuckled, “I know you’re smart and everything and I know having a relationship is at the bottom of your priorities right now, much less a fake relationship. But you know about what he means to me.” And in a second, Donghae’s tears started to drop, again.

Hyukjae melted at the sight, not the good kind of melting, he believes. He doesn’t dare to take a step closer to a crying Donghae, knowing that he might give in to Hae’s trap to create a pretend love story. He just sighed and continued to watch his best friend crying.

He knows Donghae. He knows Donghae better than anyone else, maybe even better than his mom. He wasn’t oblivious how head over heels Hae was for Siwon. And he knew about how reserved Donghae has been ever since their break up. As much as he wanted to help, Hyuk felt like this is not the answer. And if he did help, he wouldn’t have enough time to do everything given to him. Maybe the plan would work, but just not with him as the source of jealousy.

Donghae calmed a bit and Hyukjae went near him to comfort the boy, “I know what he means to you, Hae. It’s just that I’m not the guy for that action. I could do it if it had a script, my lines would be given to me and I would be directed. But you’re hiring me for an adlib job. I don’t know if I’m ready for those leagues, Donghae.” Hyukjae joked to ease the tension.

Donghae sniffled and breathed a heavy sigh, “I understand, Hyukjae. Sorry for being such a brat today.” He laughed a bit. “I just wanted to be happy.”

“You will find happiness, Hae. And I got the feeling that your plan would work, just not with me as the other lead….or the antagonist? Whatever you call the role.” Hyuk said and laughed a bit, which made Donghae laugh, too.

Donghae sat up straight, hope twinkled in his eyes, “Wait, did I hear you right?” he asked

Hyukjae got confused, “What?”

“You said I could continue my plan with another person and you won’t get mad at me, right?” Donghae asked to reassure.

Hyukjae blinked at Hae’s bluntness, “Well, yeah. If---“

Hyuk got cut off by a hug given by Donghae, “Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!” he exclaimed.

Hyuk laughed and struggled to release from Donghae’s arms, “Okay, okay. Sheesh. Let go of meeeee.” He said and they both burst into laughter. “Just pick a good person, okay?”

Donghae nodded and they went back inside the house, smiling.

+++

Hyukjae woke up the next day feeling light-headed. He didn’t drink any alcohol (Shindong can’t be tempted with any alcoholic or carbonated drink because of his diet. But yesterday, carbonated drinks were an exemption) which means he isn’t drunk which also means no hangovers. He wonders what he could’ve done to make him feel dizzy and nauseous.

He checked his clock; it said 2:00PM. He did go home at around 3AM because Shindong got emotional last night around midnight and won’t let anyone go home yet until he had finished his statement. (No, don’t ask to elaborate what happened. But, yes, it was hilarious.) Still, it was confusing why Hyukjae felt like throwing up the moment he woke up. He just shook the idea from his head, got up and showered.


Hyukjae went out after washing himself up wearing a plain white tee, skinny jeans and sneakers. He decided to go to the public library downtown to catch up with what he missed last night because of Shindong’s gathering. He decided to go to Starbucks first to grab his favorite drink. He entered the shop and went straight for the counter.

“Good afternoon, what can I---“ The cashier stopped when he noticed the person standing in front of him. “Hyukjae?” he said.

Hyukjae smiled at the cashier, “Hey, Changmin.” He said.

Changmin is a childhood friend of Donghae and Hyukjae. He is 2 years younger than the two and is studying in a different school. They met at the park near their neighborhood and at the ages of 6 and 4, they were playmates. Eventually, Changmin had to move out but he didn’t move far away but now they have limited contact with each other.

“Hyung~ How are you?” The boy named Changmin asked.

“Fine. Still breathing.” Hyukjae said and the two let out small chuckles, “What about you? Still rocking this part-time job, I see.” He smiled.

Changmin got shy and grabbed his nape, “Yeah, I was supposed to quit 4 months ago but I really enjoyed working here. My co-workers are very friendly and I do need the additional allowance.” Hyukjae smiled and Changmin returned it, “So, what can I get you?”

“Venti Iced White Mocha Americano, please.” Hyukjae said and Changmin tapped it in. He said the price and Hyukjae paid for it.

“Funny that I didn’t see you and Donghae hyung together. He was here a while ago, too.” Changmin said, “He was with another guy. I don’t know who he was.”

Hyukjae’s eyes widened. He suddenly remembers what happened last night and what he allowed Donghae to do. He mentally shook his head.

“Donghae works fast.” He thought and chuckled.

“Did he say anything to you about that?” Changmin asked.

Hyukjae nodded, “Yeah, I guess he finally moved on from Siwon.” He smiled.

“Yeah, it’s good for him but that guy he was with looked really cocky. I don’t think he’ll be good for Donghae hyung.” Changmin had the worried look on his face.

“Cocky? Cocky how?” Hyukjae asked.

Changmin shrugged, “He has foxy eyes that made him look like he’s always mad. He stands really tall, maybe because he is. He doesn’t smile at all and don’t get me started with his hair.” He smiled

Hyukjae’s brows met, “Do you happen to know the name of this person?” he asked.

Changmin thought hard, “I’m not a hundred percent sure about this but I heard Donghae call him Yunho or something that sounds like that.”

Hyukjae clucked his tongue. It was Yunho, Hyuk’s exact replica. Honors student, good grades, extra curriculars. Their only difference was that Yunho is popular and he is a big player, a heartbreaker. During their elementary days, Yunho’s academic rank was higher than Hyukjae. And during high school, Hyukjae reached the top of the class consistently, making Yunho a bit jealous. Ever since then, they had been topping and beating each other alternately.  They had considered each other as rivals.

“Hyung, you’re order’s ready.” Changmin handed Hyuk’s order to him, still weirded-out by how Hyuk reacted when he said the name of the guy Donghae was with.

“Oh, thank you.” Hyukjae took the order, “By any chance, did Donghae tell you where he and Yunho were going?”

“Hmmm, I think Donghae hyung said something about going to The Grand Park or something.” Changmin said.

Hyukjae smiled, “Thanks, Changmin! See you soon, okay? We’ll catch up.” He said and waved goodbye to the boy.

“Okay, hyung! See you!” Changmin said and Hyukjae’s figure slowly disappeared from his sight.

+++

Hyukjae made his way to The Grand Park. He did not know why he had the urge to stop Donghae since he completely allowed him to pick another person to replace his role. He was just worried. He knows Yunho plays with any gender. And even if they’re just a pretend couple, he’s worried that Donghae will fall for Yunho’s stupid charms and harm him in the end.

Hyukjae sighed, “I told him to pick someone worthy.” He thought.

He walked around the park while drinking his Americano and saw no one but old people feeding the birds and some vendors. He looked outside the park across the road and saw a silhouette of a brunet wearing the coat Hyukjae gave Donghae for his birthday last year together with a tall and slim person with a very shaggy hairstyle at a café, talking. Yup, Donghae and Yunho.

Hyukjae crossed the street to go to the two. He reached them and cleared his throat, still holding his Americano. Donghae looked back and saw him standing there. Yunho followed Donghae’s eyes and also saw Hyukjae and smirked.

“Oh, Hyukjae! What are you doing here?” Donghae asked while smiling.

Yunho smirked, “Yeah, Hyukjae-ssi. It’s nice to see you here.” He said.

Hyukjae glared at Yunho, “It’s nice to see you, too Yunho-ssi. Still the same, I see.”

“Well, you know me. I still have my charms.” Yunho teasingly laughed.

Donghae’s eyes widened, “Wait, you two know each other?”

Hyukjae looked intently at Yunho, “But I wish you would’ve done something to your hair. You look like you just got out of bed.” He said, completely ignoring what Donghae had asked.

Yunho chuckled a bit, “Nice of you to care, rival.”

Donghae’s face showed confusion, “Wait, rival?”

Hyukjae smirked, “Whoever said I care, Yunho-ssi? I just don’t like Donghae being embarrassed because he’s having a date with an ungroomed shih tzu.”

“Hyukjae!” Donghae warned his best friend.

Yunho raised an eyebrow, “You’re getting good at insulting, rival. For someone whose social life is based on the books he had read, you’re good.”

Hyukjae placed his Americano at the two’s table, “You are, as well. You know, for someone whose social life is based on the people he ed with.” Hyukjae said.

Yunho let out a chuckle, obviously irritated with Hyukjae, “What are you doing here, anyway?”

“Shouldn’t I be the one asking you that? What do you think you’re doing with Donghae?” Hyukjae asked Yunho

“Why does it bother you? Can’t I take my new boyfriend out on a simple date?” Yunho smirked.

Hyukjae chuckled, “That’s a very nice joke, rival. But you don’t have to pretend. I know about his plan. In fact, Donghae asked if I could be in your position now last night.”

Yunho smirked, “Yeah? Then why aren’t you?”

Donghae’s had it and reached his edge, “Okay, you two just stop right now. What the hell is going on? Why is no one answering me?” His eyes alter from Yunho and Hyukjae until he decided to turn to Hyukjae, “Care to explain why you’re here, mister?” his tone sounded angry.

Hyukjae breathed a heavy sigh, “I’m here to take you away from….” He eyed Yunho from head to toe, “…that.”

Yunho gave a teasing smile, “And what makes you think that he will go with you?”

Hyukjae faced Donghae and noticed anger in Donghae’s eyes. Beside his anger is confusion. Hyukjae could read it well and he knows he has a lot of explaining to do.

Hyukjae kept eye contact with Donghae, “Hae, let me explain this to you in private, please?”

“You can explain here, Hyukjae.” Donghae said.

Hyukjae’s eyes pleaded Donghae. He doesn’t want Yunho to hear anything he has to say to Donghae. Donghae looked unimpressed. Hyuk looked at Yunho and saw his brow raised. He looked at Donghae once again, still waiting for an answer, an acceptable answer.

Hyukjae sighed, “I’ll do it.”

Donghae’s eyes widened, “You---You’ll do what?” he asked, anticipating Hyuk’s answer

“I’ll be the fake boyfriend.”


And after that, only Hyuk’s Americano stayed with Yunho.

+++

“…and that is why Yunho is my rival.” Hyukjae said. He just finished telling Donghae his and Yunho’s backstory. They are now at Donghae’s room. After Hyukjae said that he’ll be willing to be the fake boyfriend, he and Donghae immediately said goodbye to Yunho. Donghae demanded an explanation from Hyukjae about what happened earlier, which led to Hyukjae telling their story.

“Oh. That’s….really weird.” Donghae laughed.

Hyuk pouted, “Laugh now, you’ll thank me later for saving you from him.” He smirked, “Why did you pick him, anyway? Out of all the attractive men in the city, heck, you could’ve picked Teukie hyung.”

Donghae hummed, “I need a person that’s smart and impressive. You know, someone with straight A’s and a clean record. Shy but is really a sweetheart.” He laughed, “I guess the sweetheart part is not available if I stayed with Yunho.”

Hyukjae’s smile widened, “So you’re saying I’m a sweetheart?”

Donghae laughed at his best friend’s cheesiness, “Yes, you are, you weenie.” He said and got slapped at the by Hyukjae. They both laughed, “But how come I don’t even see you two interact except on recognition days?” Donghae asked.

“We---err I mean, I try to stay away from him as much as possible. We just don’t match, that’s it.” Hyukjae explained. “He loves getting in my way to annoy me but, you know, the one that causes trouble is the loser.”

“Ah.” Donghae nodded, “But what was up with you? Why the sudden change of mind? And how did you find out that I was with Yunho?”

“I went to Starbucks and saw Changmin. He told me about you two. And I knew it was not going to end up well since Yunho’s a big pain in the and he’ll probably make you fall in love with him, take your ity and break up afterwards.” Hyukjae said with infuriated eyes.

Donghae’s cheeks turned red and hit Hyukjae multiple times. Hyukjae just laughed in response to his hits.

“What? I’m telling the truth. You’re too good for him. And now that I think about it, this is the only favor you have asked me. Ever.” Hyukjae said and smiled, “I just got worried. And I thought this would be a good practice before the school play auditions.” He laughed.

“See, you benefit from this, too.” Donghae said and they both chuckled, “But now that it’s official, we have to set ground rules.”

Hyukjae laughed. He thought it was a joke. He looked at Donghae’s serious face and stopped laughing, “Oh, wait, you were serious about that?”

“Yes! I don’t want you running around whenever you want. Besides, you can contradict whenever you want, to be fair.” Donghae tilted his head.

Hyukjae shrugged, “Okay, I guess?”

“Rule #1: We’re only a couple when he’s there. When he’s not, we go back to being normal best friends.” Donghae said.

“I could live with that.” Hyukjae nodded.

“#2: When he invites me out and asks your permission, just agree.”

“Okay,”

“#3: Remember the goal. Make him jealous. If he doesn’t get jealous at what we’re doing, then make a quick plan to change it.”

“Fine,”

“#4: I will not interfere with your studies if they are a pass or fail situation. If they are not, then just try your best.”

Hyukjae stopped and shook his head, “No deal, bro.”

Donghae sighed, “I knew you would say that. At least I tried, though.” He chuckled.

“#4: I can study while I’m being your fake boyfriend. So he won’t get suspicious. I think Siwon knows I’m studious so…” Hyukjae said.

“Okay then, fine with me.” Donghae smiled, “#5: When we get our goal, we pretend like nothing happened and we’re still best friends.”

Hyukjae sighed. He knows the consequences of what he had signed up for. But he tried looking at a positive point of view. The look on Yunho’s face when they left was priceless. He smiled and thought that this is better than Donghae getting hurt again and if that happens, he’ll probably go through days without eating again.

“So…” Donghae bit his lips, “Is it a deal then?”

Hyukjae looked at Donghae’s eyes and smiled, “When do we start?”

===

[A/N] I'm trying my best to finish this story before June *0*
But it still depends if I will continue this or not.
It depends on your comments/reviews. 
So, here is chapter 1. 

xoxoxo
--smiling angel--