The Notebook

Love

"Jungkook, are you listening?" The principal asked, showing her so called 'scary' side with a glare she shot at me.

"Yes I am," I mumbled, avoiding her gaze. 

"It's no the first time it happened, nor the second. You can't keep failing tests like this! Especially the Math ones. You have to study harder." I am studying. I study the best I can but no matter what I do, I don't seem to get it, so sorry. "I think you'll need a tutor." Of course I will. "So that's why I arranged you the help of a senior, he's one of the best."

Oh sure, that's great. Because the last one was so helpful. "Am I clear?" she asked, glaring at me and at my stepmother. I nodded and that evil excuse for a mom apologized for me a few times, saying that I'll definietly get better and that she's so glad I have a principal and a school that cares about me so much. Yeah, where was that great school when I was bullied? 

She tried to grab my hand but I took a step back, making her miss it. We made our way to the school gate. "Now listen here, you little punk." Oh yay, another lecture. "You are going to improve your grades or I swear to God, you won't be able to write your stupid songs."

"They're not stupid." I shot right back. Those 'stupid' songs were one of the only things that made me feel happy and relieved.

"Whatever, just make sure to get better. How are you getting worse with all the private teachers you have? It's amazing how dumb you are." Yep. I'm dumb, deal with it. 

I got inside her fancy car, that used to belong to my real parents before they died. I sat at the back, listening to music, another thing I admired. Music are what emotions sound like, and I loved it. I got lost in the melody and started singing.

"At least you can sing, that's something." She mumbled under her breath. 

For some reason, I smiled at it. It wasn't exactly a compliment, but it was nice.  When we finally arrived home, I saw a familiar car parking next to our house. I smiled happily and ran out of the car towards the door, almost bursting it open to see Yoongi on the couch. When he noticed me, he immediately got up and ran to me, hugging me. He was the only person who touched me for the last five years. I don't know why but something about him made me feel safe and loved. He was an old friend, before  everything happened, so I was happy I still had someone I could rely on. Yoongi was sort of strange, he was really honest and blunt, he also tried to make me get out of the house more. He'd sneak me into clubs I don't want to be in, only to sigh and push away people who tried to hit on me, not just girls. He was slightly shorter than me and had a cute face, but something about him just shouted 'power'. Maybe it was his attitude, you can tell he's not someone to mess around with.

Yoongi was 20 and I was just 16, which made people wonder, why do people with such age difference are awfully close? That's because he was a good friend of my brother before he passed away, so there have been many times we met and talked. He used to come over all the time, of course he was just a teen then, now he's a grown up and can't always come over. But when he can, I'm the happiest. He knows a lot about me and had always been there for me when I needed someone. He knows why I'm like this and he protects me. 

If I'm being completely honest, I like him. I'm not sure if it's like-like or like-you're a good friend-like, either way, I'm happy with things just the way they are. 

He ruffled my hair, bringing me back to reality, "how are you?" I sighed, grabbed his hand and dragged him to my room. "I'm guessing not so well?" He chuckled, making me nod.

"Yeah, I'm going to have another tutor at school, like it'll help me." He just smiled, going into my slightly messy room. "Sorry, I didn't know I'd have company."

"It's okay," he said while picking some pages of the floor. "I like when it's a little bit messy, that means you've done a lot. I see you kept writing those songs and didn't throw them away, I'm glad you listened to me." His smile was so cute, it's weird to say it about an older guy but really, it sort of made me blush. Just a tiny bit.

"W-well yeah," oh great, I stuttered. "They were kinda nice so I thought I should finish them."

"Do you mind if I'll read them again then?" 

I shook my head, "knock yourself out." I forgot to mention he was also the only person who ever read anything I wrote, I'm really shy about it but I enjoy seeing his face lighten when he reads what I have in my heart. 
"Love hurts, love lies. And the truth is, it always dies." He read some of the lines out loud, "I like those lines, they feel really meaningful. Do you have anyone specific that it is written about?" 

"No, it's not necessarily about love between two lovers."

"Then do you think our love will die too?" He asked amused, but also slightly worried.

"Never!" I half yelled while jumping at him.

"You're asking for it, Jungkook!" His smile spread on his face before he pushed me on the bed and tickled me mercilessly.

I laughed hard and tried to push him off without sucess. It's not that I was weak or something, I was just too busy laughing. "N-no, hahaha, hyung, stop!"  He  smiled and got off.

"It's good to see you laughing, it warms my heart." I blushed at those words, just a little bit. 

We spent the rest of the day talking and laughing, it was great being with him. Without we even noticed, four hours passed. "Oh , it's late."  

Yoongi mumbled when he looked out of the window and saw it's already somewhat dark. "I have to go home and sleep so that I'll be able to wake up early for work tomorrow." He got up but I grabbed his sleeve, "what is it, Jungkookie?"

"Do you really have to go?" A pout was formed on my face, I didn't want to be alone, night times were the hardest.
 
"I do," he said before gently placing his hand over mine, "but I promise I'll come again when I'll have the chance, okay?" I nodded and released his sleeve as he leaned to kiss my forehead goodnight. "Goodbye Kookie, text me or call sometime." 

"Bye Yoongi hyung, I will." And with that, he left, leaving me completely alone. I decided to do some homeworks, I did understand some things. I plugged my earphones and turned a calming song on, taking my notebooks out of my school bag. I did some homework I had, mostly English and Literature. The only things I was good at. I never really participated that much in lessons, but I kept doing my projects, my homework and got good grades. 

It was soon late, I had to go to sleep already. But before that, I had brushed my teeth and took a short shower, I like being clean. As I got into bed, I remebered I'm going to have a tutor soon. I really disliked them, they hated being with me as much as I hated being with them. They never explained things clearly and always told me to go home after 20 minutes since they didn't want to help me, even though they had to do it for 45 minutes, not that it mattered, not like I would have understood anything anyway. Closing my eyes, I let sleep overwhelm me. 

I was rudely awaken by a loud noise, my alarm clock. It was on the other side of the room on purpose, so that I'll have to get up and turn it off. Instead, I just threw a shoe at it. It fell, I might've broke it. Oops? I got up quickly, starting to get ready. I wore long skinny jeans, some sneakers I found in my closet, a simple T-shirt and a warm, nice jacket. People always asked me about the jacket, since it was really hot right now. I had a huge problem with cold, even a weak breeze of air made me feel too cold, so I always covered my body well. 

I was already late, so instead of running to school, my stepmom drove me to school. She looked pissed off, especielly since yesterday we had a talk with the principal. And also, probably because she had to drive a kid she doesn't like to school early in the middle of the morning. So I can't really blame her. I reread some songs in my notebook, thinking what I should change. Before I noticed, we were already in front of the school gates. I thanked her before I went out and ran towards the school building. "Good morning!" I said to the guard, slightly panting from the run I was doing. He just smiled in response. I was in hurry, I was late to English, I really hated being late to a lesson that I like. I ran so fast that I barely noticed someone else walking in the hall. I didn't have the time to process it and ran right at him. I fell on my from his strong figure, he just backed away a bit. He reached a hand to me and smiled, "are you okay?" 

Ignoring his hand, I got up and ran right back to my class.  "Sorry I'm late, Mr. Choi," I half yelled as I basically slammed the door open and went right in. The teacher just chuckled in amusement, "It's okay, just make sure to be on time for the next lesson. Please take your seat." I nodded in approval, sitting in my spot at the corner, alone. I wrote whatever he wrote on the wall, listening to every word carefully. We had two lessons before the break, but it feels like they ended too quickly. When the lesson ended and the break started, all the other students ran out of the room while I just sat comfortabely, waiting for the class to be empty. "Sorry Jungkook, I have to lock the class." Mr. Choi suddenly said. Sure, lock me in it, I won't mind. Who'll notice anyway? 

I nodded and packed my things, going to a small bench outside and sitting on it, I decided to write things in my notebook. I opened my school bag, trying to find my lyrics notebook. My heart thumped when I couldn't find it, no, it can't happen, I can't lose it, I have so many songs there. How could I be so irresponsible? I can't live without it, what am I going to do n-

"Are you looking for this?" An unfamliar voice asked, holding a black notebook with my name on it.  "You knocked it over when you almost knocked me over." The guy said with a chuckle and an amused voice.

As he was going to sit next to me, I moved far away, to the opposite side of the bench. He looked at me surprised, "I won't do anything, I just wanted to give it back to you. By the way, you write really well, if those are your songs, that is." 

"You read them?" I asked, kind of annoyed that he invaded my privacy. 

"Yeah, at first I just wanted to see if there's more information about you, since I have no idea who you are and what class you're from, but I got interested in what you wrote. I was shocked, now I think I know more about you than I ever intended to." 

I glared at him, "it was private."

"Well, if what's written there is so important, don't drop it next time." I was about to answer him, but he was right. 

"You're right, I'm sorry. Can I have it back now?" I said and reached out my hand.

"Sure," he said before almost handing me the notebook but then moving his hand away before I could grab it. "If! you'll let me buy you lunch."

"What? Why would you do that?"

"To say I'm sorry about making you fall and reading your songs."

"But I was the one who ran into you."

"Yes but you fell."

"It's still my fault."

"Just let me buy you something."

"I don't want you to bother..."

"I won't, trust me."

"I'm not hungry."

"So what? You can eat later. Come on, I'm paying!"

"But there are people at the cafeteria and I don't like that."

"Oh for the love of God, I am trying to befriend you! Can't you just say yes and come with me so I can get to know you better?" For some reason, my face flushed and I wasn't sure if I could talk. 

"I-I-I r-really can't handle too many people..." he sighed but still smiled a breathtaking smile.

"Fine then, let's make a deal?"

"A deal?"

"Yeah, I'll go down to buy you some food but you'll stay here. I'll give you the food and the notebook and we're even, okay?" I nodded, being unable to speak. It's been a while since I spoke with someone from my school, let alone someone I never met.

"Great," he said and smiled, "don't leave, I'll be right back!" He sprinted from the bench downstaits. I was dazed for a few seconds before I got up and ran to my class.

I spent most of my day avoiding that guy, I don't know why I ran away and now I also lost my chance to get my notebook back. I did my best until the end of the day but today just wasn't my day. I was about to go through the door of my classroom since I always leave last but bumped into someone. "And where are you going?" a slightly familiar voice asked. 
Oh , crap, ing Hell. "N-nowhere..." I mumbled quietly and went back into the class.

"Great, sit down and let's eat." He said before throwing me a wrapped sandwich that I barely caught. "I'm not hungry."

"You know, usually people say thank you." He said with a bright smile.

"Thanks, can I have my notebook now?"

"Woah, straight to the point, I like it." My face reddened a bit for some reason. "But no. We're going to sit and eat together. I didn't eat my food just becuase of you, you know?"

At this point, my entire body felt hot and red. What's up with this guy? Why is he saying such things at such ease? "Why?" I blurted out.

"Why not?" He said before sitting in one of the chairs and marking me to sit next to him.

I didn't know if I should, I don't like being close to people, but the look he was giving me made me debate that. He was fairly attractive. I mean, it's not like I'm gay. I think I'm panual but still, I have to acknowledge his good looks. I sat down next to him and just stared at him eating, I wasn't in the mood to eat, I don't eat that much anyway.

"What? Am I that attractive?" His voice was so teasing, it annoyed me.

"Don't flatter yourself, I'm just really not hungry." He raised an eyebrow.

"That doesn't explain why you're looking at me."

"Because you make so much noise when you eat and that distracts me." He looked surprised at my statement, did I go too far?

"I guess I do," he said while laughing. "But really, you should eat, you're really skinny."

"I have a huge jacket, it's hard to imagine you can say I'm skinny when you can't see anything."

"Please, your thigh gap is bigger than some of the girls in my class. Also, you're quite pale, are you anemic by any chance?"

"It's none of your buisness."

"So you are," he said and continued eating.

I ignored him and took my phone out along with my earphones. I plugged them in and was about to choose a song when he glared at me. 

"What?" I asked when I took one earphone out.

"That's kinda rude," he said and pouted.

"You know what else is rude? To steal someone's notebook and then force them to talk to you until you give it back." I didn't meean to sound so mean, something about his behavior was just off and strange.

He just sighed, "fine, if I'm that terrible, you can have your notebook." He said before handing it to me. I hesitated, I do want it back but now I feel bad. He placed it on the table and was about to get up. I hated to touch people, but my instinct made me grab his hand. I was more surprised than he was.

"Look, I'm sorry." I said and let go of his hand. "I-I didn't mean to- It's just that... I'm not used to people being nice to me, okay? That's all." Why am I even telling him this?

"No it's okay," he said and smiled sweetly. "What I did wasn't fair too, it's your notebook after all." 

I shook my head, "that's okay. Do you want one earphone? If you want, we can listen together..." I whispered the last word. 

"That'll be great Jungkook," He said and took one earphone.
 
After a few minutes of listening to songs, I decided I should eat. I mean, he did pay for it. I unrwapped it and took a bite. It was surprisngly really good. 

"It's good, right?" He said while eating his own food. I just nodded, busy with eating. 

A slower song played, one of my favorites. 'You Are My Destiny' I'm usually not very fond of slow songs but the high notes give me chills. 

"Oh, I love that song." The guy suddenly said. Come to think of it, he still didn't tell me his name. 

"Um, it's kind of delayed but what's your name?" 

He laughed, "how stupid of me not to tell you, I'm park Jimin, nice to meet you." He lifted his hand so I could shake it but I just stared at it. "You're not really fond of physical contact, right?" I didn't want to answer. "It's okay, I won't force you."

I repeated his name in my head, why does it sound so familiar? I swear I've heard it somewhere before. I mean, sure, we're in the same school so maybe I went across some people who said his name but it was more than that. "Why is your name so familiar?" I said to myself, maybe way louder than I expected.

"Maybe becuase I'm the top student and I always appear in ceremonies." Oh, that's right. I remember him, he's the guy with the high pitched but beautiful voice. 

He finished eating and so did I. I mean, I still had a half sandwich, but I wasn't hungry. "Thank you for buying this for me, though it was unnecessary. I don't eat that much anyway."

"I guess I just wanted an excuse to talk to you some more," he said before rubbing his neck awkwrdaly, making me blush so hard.

"You could've just talked to me casually if you wanted," my voice was just a bit louder than a whisper, but he still heard.

"I just wanted to get to know you better before I started tutoring you."

"Tutoring me?"

"Yeah, didn't the principal tell you? She thinks you need a tutor and asked me to help you."

Oh, so that's why he was being nice to me. Somehow, I felt slightly disappointed. "A-ah yeah, she told me."

"Don't look so disappointed. Hoesntly, after reading your first song, I wanted to get to know you better. I was surprised when I discovered you're only 16, your writing feels so mature."

It was always nice to hear compliments about my writing, even though they usually came from Yoongi. Out of the blue, my phone rang. 'Yoongi'. I wonder why he's calling. I unplugged the earphones and answered the phone with a slight blush and a smile. "Hey hyung, why did you call?"

"Hey Jungkookie, I'm not bothering you right?" He asked, worried that I might be studying now.

"Not at all, do you need something?"

"Well, not right now. I just kinda wanted to hear your voice." My blush deepened and it was getting kind of hard to breath. I don't know why, but whenever Yoongi calls me, I feel shy.

"Just wanted to hear my voice? That's kinda cheesy hyung." Only after the look Jimin gave me, I realized he's still there. I heard Yoongi chuckling through the phone. 

"Well, I am kind of cheesy, right? Ah but I actaully wanted to ask you if it's okay that I'll come over on Wednesday?"

"Sure, though you never call to make plans, you usually just come over."

"I know but you're going to have a tutor so I want to know when you have free time."

Oh, that's right. "Yeah, I actually met my tutor," I said and smiled at Jimin. "He's really nice, he bought me food."

"He bought you food? That's weird." Yoongi's voice sounded suspicious.

"Why is it weird?"

"I don't know, it's just kind of strange. Listen, I have to get back to work now so I'll call tomorrow evening, is it okay?"  I was excited from the thought he's going to call.

"Sure, talk to you tomorrow hyung, bye."

"Bye Jungkookie." He hung up and I locked the screen of my phone. 

"Sorry about that." I said to Jimin, who looked kinda bored.

"It's okay," his smile seemed somewhat different. "Who did you talk to?"

My blush came back and I just shrugged, "no one."

"Is he your boyfriend?" I choked on my own saliva.

"N-no! what made you think that?"

"Well, if he's not your boyfriend, then he's your crush, right?" 

"H-he's not-"

"Oh come on, you're not fooling anyone. You blushed and stuttered and damn, you actually smiled. I know you for barely one hour but I know you don't smile usually, at least not at school, am I right?" I didn't answer him. 


"It's getting late, we should go home." I said and got up, Jimin followed next. "Oh I just noticed."

"Noticed what?"

 "That I'm taller than you." He looked unamused. 

"Whatever, do you want me to drive you home?"

"You have a car?" 

"I'm 18 and a top student, of course I have a car."

"It's okay, I don't want to bother you. I'm sure you have stuff to do."

"I really don't. Besides, I don't mind driving you." I knew he isn't going to back away from it just like with notebook so I agreed. We went to the parking lot of the school and he took out his car keys. "It's the red one over there," he pointed to a quite large car that looked really expensive. I would know, my step mother loves those.

I was about to get into one of the sits in the back when he suddenly stoped me with his voice, "sit in the front." I couldn't really say no so I got in. The sit was comfortable. 

"So when are you starting to tutor me?" I asked, I really needed the help and who knows, myabe Jimin can actually help me.

"Is tomorrow okay?" I just nodded in agreement. "I won't tutor you on Wednesday so you can be with your crush," he smirked at me. 

"He's not my crush, he's just a childhood friend."

"Aww, those kind of relationships are the cutest."

"Shut up," I mumbled under my breath but he just laughed.

We arrived and I thanked him for driving me, "no problem and by the way Jungkook," I turned to him when I walked out and hummed in reply, asking what he wants. "I may be shorter but mine is longer," he winked at me, closing the door and driving away.

I stood there completely flustered. him, I thought before runnning inside.