Steps

Sincere

Ding...dong...ding...dong...

 

“Sunbae, I think someone is coming.” Ahyoung said.

 

“Wait here, I will open the door.” Hoseok walked out Ahyoung’s room. He went downstairs and opened the door.

 

“Oh you were home.” He smiled at Jungkook and Junhee. “Did you guys take the bus together?”

 

“Yeah,” Junhee nodded and walked in.

 

“Good then. It must be dangerous if you went alone around this hour.” He said. “Do you guys want to eat first? We have some foods in the refrigerator.”

 

Jungkook shook his head, “I will go upstairs first hyung, good night.”

 

Junhee watched him go, followed him with her gaze as he walked upstairs. When he entered his room, she stared down at his jacket and she softened.

 

Never once he helped her before. It was her who always helped him back then, like; giving him her notes, helped him cheated in class, or lend him her things.

 

Since it was new, she was surprised, to be honest. Plus, he didn’t even ask her to thank him.

 

“Do you want to eat?” Hoseok’s voice recalled her. She shook her head slowly, “I don’t think I’m hungry.”

 

“Okay then. By the way, your bestfriend was getting better.” He said. “Her temperature was decreasing in the last few hours.”

 

“Really? Glad to hear that,” her eyes brightened. “Thanks to you, sunbae.” She smiled.

 

“It’s nothing really,” he rubbed his neck shyly. “Let’s go to her room.” He suggested.

 

“You go first. I have something to do beforehand.” She reasoned.

 

“Okay. I just have to change her compress and I think she will get well tomorrow.”

 

She waited until Hoseok went to Ahyoung’s room. When he had out of view, she went upstairs.

 

Junhee stopped in front of Jungkook’s room. She took a deep breath, then she knocked the door. “Jungkook, did you sleep?”

 

It didn’t take a long time for him to open the door. “What?”

 

She gave his jacket to him, “I want to return this.” she said. “Thank you, anyway.”

 

“You’re welcome,” he replied. He was about to close the door but Junhee slipped her hand there, “Wait!”

 

Jungkook raised his eyebrows, “What else?”

 

“You know...” she played her fingers, nervous. “It’s about the upcoming hiking event. Since I don’t know anyone except you, do you want to be my partner?”

 

“Sure.” He replied almost immediately.

 

Her eyes widened. “You say what?”

 

“If you were done, then I will close the door. I want to sleep.” He shut the door without repeated his answer. Leaving Junhee who still processing his words.

 

“Did he just... agree to be my partner?” she murmured, still feeling unreal becausse Jungkook didn’t reject her offer.

 

“Oh my God. This is dream.” She can’t help but smiled widely as she back to her room. Jeon Jungkook didn’t reject her offer. This is the first time.

 

***

 

“Hiking? Mountain?” Mr.Han asked while raising an eyebrow. He looked through the paper once again and looking at her with serious expression, “It’s dangerous, you know.”

 

“Well, we didn’t go by ourselves, uncle. There will be our seniors and some teachers, too.” Junhee persuaded.

 

“But if something happen to you, I will be responsible.” He said. “Since I’m the one who signed it.”

 

“Don’t worry, uncle. I have called my parents and they allowed me. All that I need just a sign from you since my parents can’t do it.”

 

“Just sign it, honey.” Mrs.Han came with some cookies. She placed them on the table and turned to her husband, “She is mature enough to take care herself.”

 

“Do you have someone that I can trust?” he asked Junhee.

 

“Jungkook will go with her, honey.” Mrs.Han answered. “I have signed his paper yesterday.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes, uncle. He is my partner too.”

 

“Then I trust your safety,” Mr.Han took his pen and signed it. When he had done, he gave it to Junhee. “Make sure Jungkook is around you.”

 

“Thank you, uncle.” She bowed respectfully.

 

“Sure, Junhee.” He smiled.

 

***

 

Hoseok found s gathered already when he got to journalistic room that afternoon. He had planned to held a meeting today since they had to send the whole files tomorrow. Today is deadline for all articles and rubrics, and he had to did crosscheck before send it.

 

“Hoseok oppa... this is my article.” A girl came to him and handed a flashdisk. She swallowed hard when he took her flashdisk. He flashed a smile in response, “Thank you.”

 

“Y- you’re welcome,” she replied shyly and then walked back to her groups with a wide smile on her face.

 

That kind of girl was one of Hoseok’s fangirl. Not to mention, he is quite popular since he is so boyfriend-material. Handsome, smart, wise, friendly, kind to everyone –in short, he is almost perfect.

 

Almost half of journalistic club’s members are his fangirls –he is their reasons why they choose journalistic club. The rest are his friends or another students who really interested on journalist thing.

 

Hoseok sat on his chair –chairman’s chair– and glanced around. He rested his chin on his palm, looked at s one by one. He realized that there was someone who hadn’t arrived yet. That someone was no other than Nam Junhee.

 

“I think I told her yesterday...” he murmured. “She didn’t forget about it, right?” he checked his wristwatch and saw that it was ten minutes before the meeting started.

 

“What are you waiting for?”

 

Hoseok looked up and saw his friend Suga. “Someone isn’t coming yet, hyung.”

 

Suga raised an eyebrow, “It’s just one person, right? Just start the meeting. It’s getting dark outside.”

 

Hoseok shook his head, “No, I can’t.”

 

“Yah, usually you will start the meeting no matter how many people here. What’s wrong?”

 

“It’s not like that...” Hoseok kept looking around in case he will find her. Suga frowned at him, “It’s weird.”

 

Ignoring the boy beside him, Hoseok stood up immediately when he saw Junhee entered the room. “Junhee!” he called her. Junhee stopped to turned at him and waved. He smiled widely.

 

“So... let’s start the meeting.” Hoseok turned to Suga and grinned.

 

***

 

Junhee received a call from Ahyoung in the middle of meeting. She had ignored it a few times but she kept calling. Until the fifth call, she decided to answer, maybe Ahyoung has something important to say.

 

She rushed out immediately through the back entrance when her phone ringing, worrying if she would disturb other members who still focused on meeting.

 

She wiped the screen and bring her phone nearer. “Hello?”

 

“Yah! How can you didn’t answer me?!”

 

Junhee winced, “Yah, calm down. You were so earsplitting.”

 

“Yeah, sorry. By the way, I forgot to bring my key.” Ahyoung whined. “It was getting dark outside but Mr.Han didn’t arrive yet.”

 

“I still have a meeting now, Ahyoung. I can’t go home untill it ended.” Junhee checked her wristwatch, it showed that the meeting maybe will ended about thirty minutes again. “I’m really sorry, but my meeting won’t be over momentarily.”

 

“What should I do?” Ahyoung sighed upon the other side. “I wonder when Mr.Han will come. It must be crazy if I have to wait here until he comes.”

 

“Jungkook! How about him?”

 

“I didn’t have his number, Miss.”

 

She sighed, “Oh yeah, you were right. So did I.”

 

“So... do you have a solution for me?”

 

“You have to wait, there was no other solution except this.”

 

“What?! Do you want me to get a cold again?!”

 

“It’s okay. We have Hoseok sunbae anyway.” Junhee chuckled.

 

“Yah! Nam Junhee you-“

 

“Bye!” Teasing her, she ended her call. Junhee shook her head in amusement and back to the meeting hall.

 

***

 

Ahyoung grumbled when Junhee ended her call. The sun was about to set but she saw no sign of Mr.Han and it annoyed her more. She hates being alone, really.

 

That was until a name popped up in her mind.

 

Kim Taehyung.

 

“No no no,” she shook her head quickly when she thought of that. Yes, her heart told her to call him. But she just not ready to meet him again, since they had met a few days ago and it will sounds weird if she ask him to come. It’s not like they are on a relationship or something. She means- it will looks like how they acted when they were still couples back then.

 

Ahyoung looked up when she heard footsteps. Her eyes brightened seeing who was coming. “Hey, did you bring your key?” she asked briefly.

 

Without replying her question, Jungkook stopped in front of the door, put out his key from his pocket.

 

“Thank you! You such a life saver,” Ahyoung beamed as he opened the door and they went in. “Do you want a coffee?” she offered. He shook his head in response.

 

“How about a glass of hot tea? Don’t you think it will warms your body?”

 

He shook his head again. Jungkook was on the middle of untying his shoes, when he noticed someone was watching him. He looked up, then frowned. “What?”

 

“How about a ramen? I will make it for you.”

 

“I will just rest.” He replied. Then he went upstairs, leaving her behind.

 

“Yah! I swear you will feel hungry over the next few minutes!” she shouted. Then she heard a sound of a blammed door, and she rolled her eyes.

 

She blew her bangs, scoffed. “How can Junhee likes such a cold person?!”

 

***

 

“Do you need a ride?” Suga asked Hoseok as he took out his phone to check the time. “It’s 9PM already.”

 

“No, I can’t go without her,” he eyed Junhee, who was standing in distance.

 

Suga smirked, “A new one?”

 

“Ofcourse no!” Hoseok blurted. “She was living with me, that’s why.”

 

Suga chuckled, didn’t believe his words but keeping it inside. “Then I’ll go first. Bye.”

 

As his friend left, Hoseok walked towards her. She was taking a look the meeting hall with unreadable expressions.

 

“What are you looking at?”

 

Seeing Junhee a bit startled, he found out that she was daydreaming. “Ah... nothing.” she winced.

 

“Did something happen?” he asked and drew near. She shook her head slowly. “I just think how great you are, sunbae.”

 

“What are you talking about?” he frowned.

 

“First, you were Medical Department student, and it was no doubt that you must be smart.” She said. “But you still can manage all of this. You still take care of journalistic club, when most of seniors chose to focus on their education instead. And I was amazed by how great you are when you sat there, on the chairman’s chair. You look so different until I could feel your leader aura.”

 

“I always admiring them who bravely being a leader. Because I know it was not that easy being the first person who was in charge of carrying the ball. You know, many people thinks that they can do, but less people make it through actions.“

 

“And your speaking skills... It was so marvellous, really. The way you say every words, it shows your authority as a chairman. Maybe they were so many people who bravely speak in front of public. But it just a few of them who have skills.”

 

Far from his expectation, he felt his heart rustling. He turned to see her side figure, totally speechless that she did even think about him, saying that she was admiring him.

 

“You were great, too.” was the only thing that slipped out from his mouth.

 

“How can I was great? I far from it, though.”

 

“Not now, but soon.” He smiled. “It takes time for being success, Junhee. I was climbing slowly to the top, passed it through so many rocks though sometimes I almost fell. But I always holding onto it, because I knew, that rocks may be cause of my failure, but if I looked at it in different way, actually it could be the cause of my success too.”

 

It was her turn to stare at him, speechless.

 

“This is the first time we talk serious like this, right?” he raised an eyebrow. “It was so rare of you.”

 

“I just think about that so suddenly,” Junhee rubbed her neck shyly. “You know, I had never lied about my feelings.”

 

“It can’t be,” he sneered. “When you farted, you can’t tell anyone that you farted, right?”

 

“Sunbae!” she hit his arm directly. “Yah! I’m joking! Why you hit me so hard?” Hoseok rubbed his left arm, eyed her with painful expression.

 

“I- I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” She checked his left arm and looked at it with worries. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know it will be this hurt.” She apologized.

 

“Seriously, how can you hit me so hardly?”

 

“I learned taekwondo when I’m in Junior High School, though it was just when I’m on first year.”

 

“But still,” Hoseok rolled his eyes.

 

He felt his phone buzzed, and he took out his phone from his pocket to see his friend’s name on the screen. “Wait here, my friend is calling.”

 

As Hoseok walked out, Junhee took a seat and rested her body there. Today was too tiring, at least for her.

 

About thirty minutes later, Hoseok wasn’t back yet. Junhee checked her wristwatch and it was almost 10PM already. She yawned a few times, but she tried to keep her eyes open. No matter how hard she try, her eyes felt so heavy and demanding to close since it hadn’t been rested all day.

 

About ten minutes later, Junhee couldn’t endure it any longer and her eyes shut, coincide with her head fell front. It was until someone’s hand prevent her head to strike the table.

 

That someone made a little ‘Whoops’ sound when he caught her. He shook her body slowly, “Junhee, wake up. We should go home.”

 

His effort seems useless when the girl was breathing consecutively, showing how tired she was. He softened at the sleeping figure, and ended up with canceled his plan to wake her up. He took off his jacket with his left hand, made it into a bundle and placed it on the table to support her head. After making sure that she was on the comfortable position to sleep, Hoseok called the Han’s and told them that they can’t go home today.

 

He took a seat beside her, resting his head on the table like she did, facing her sleep figure. He was tired too, but the girl beside him seems more tired. There was a little conscience of him, that he has to protect this girl. That he has to lead this girl to greet her dreams. He knew that she was honest when she praised him, and he noticed her hopes to be like him.

 

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

 

Let him to take his first steps tonight.

 

With her.

 


 

 

 

Heyyyy. Sorry for grammar error. I typed in rush ><

And sorry for late update, my school life was pretty busy since last month. I will try to update if I have free time! :)