College

Sincere

Four years ago.

 

She stood there while shaking. She was nervous, so much. She took a deep breath, then took few steps and walked towards someone who stood in distance. That feeling of hesitant suddenly approach her. She stopped. Was it a right decision? What would happen after that? Would it be okay?

Just looked at his back made her heart beat crazily, like it just beat when he was around.

How could she didn’t find it out when she was 9th years old? How could she didn’t feel anything before? And sadly, how could she became an idiot when it was everything about him now?

Like she just met him yesterday. When he just an unknown boy who met her when she went to her grandma’s house. When he just a classmate in Junior High School. When he just an annoying friend who always stole her note.

But now, she faced an unfair reality. The one that she claimed as her best friend and her first love, now was so far away even though he stood right in front of her. The one that so close with her in the past, now acted like a stranger.

Her mind suddenly went blank when he turned around. She had caught.

“Oh- hi,” she waved awkwardly.

He didn’t answer. He just stared at her with his old gaze. Empty and cold.

She gulped hard before continued. It was about a year since their last conversation. It was impossible if she talked without stuttering.

“W-what were you doing?”

“Nothing,” he replied. She knew he didn't intend to sound so cold, but that's how it turned out.

She grabbed her camera tightly, hoping it would decrease her nervousness. She took a deep breath, and gathered some courages to speak again, “It was our last day as Junior High School student, right?”

He didn’t answer and stayed still. But she was okay with it. It was better than seeing him walked away.

“You know...” she played her fingers and bit her lower lip. “I want to... take a photo with you.”

 

***

 

I have died everyday waiting for you

Darlin’ don’t be afraid I have loved you

For a thousand years

I’ll love you for a thousand more

And all along I believed I would find you

Time has brought your heart to me-

 

“We have arrived.”

She peeked open her eyes when someone pulled off her earphone. She saw her friend Ahyoung was about to stand up when she realized that they had arrived at the bus stop in front of their college. She stood up lazily and followed behind.

Right in front of them, there was a huge building which well-known with its amazing quality. That was their college, Gwanak University. It was their first day being normal college students after did some ‘tradition’ as new students for a week. Junhee took Accounting Department, while Ahyoung took Law Department.

“I’ll meet you at 2pm, near the gate. Okay?” Ahyoung said.

“Okay, see you later.” Junhee waved and turned to the opposite way, heading for Accounting Department building.

She checked her phone and noticed that she had a few minutes left before the class. She used this chance to look around the buildings.

She walked around, seeing how gorgeous the buildings were.

It was her dream being part of Gwanak University, especially Accounting Department. It was cool, for sure. And now she was here, not as ‘dreamer’ but as part of it. All of her effort were paid and she was satisfied with this achievement. That’s why today was marked as “Special Day” on her calendar.

When she found a small bench, she sat there. It was when she found out someone was sleeping.

“Do you run off?” that person spoke, his eyes still closed. Junhee raised an eyebrow, confused. “Pardon?”

“No one will here around this time. Do you run off?” he asked again. “Mr.Joo or Mrs.Tae?”

She stood up and got more confused, what the hell was he talking about? “Excuse me but I’m a new student here, and I have a few minutes left so I went here,” she explained.

The boy got up and faced her. He blinked a few times and spoke again, “....oh. I think you are my friend.”

“The one who run off is you then?” Junhee blinked. 

He laughed, “No. My schedule is...” he checked his phone “...thirty minutes again.”

So, he’s my senior. She thought.

“Then, can I sit here?” Junhee asked respectfully. The boy nodded and shifted aside to give her some space.

Junhee put her earphone again and closed her eyes. They sat in silence, Junhee was into the music and the boy was busy facing the sky.

Feeling the peaceful atmosphere, Junhee glanced at the boy to check if he had already gone. But he was still there, looked up at the blue sky with his hand behind his neck. Unconsciously, her lips curved into a small smile. Then, she closed her eyes again.

The boy noticed her gaze. He casted a glance at her and found it cute seeing she closed her eyes with her lips moving mouthing the lyrics.

After a few minutes, the boy spoke up. “How about your class?“

Feeling that someone talked to her, Junhee turned to him and unplugged her earphone. “Yes?”

The boy pointed her wristwatch. Junhee raised an eyebrow at first, and taken aback the next second, “Oh no! I’ll be late!”

She stood up immediately and ran. It was her first day, she could not be late. No way.

The boy shook his head seeing she ran like crazy just like that, even without goodbye. He smiled in amusement because of the spirit of  the new student.

 

***

 

Lunch time.

Everyone rushed out the class, heading to cafetaria. Junhee was left behind since she had to finish her note first. It was her consequence because she was late this morning. Luckily, her lecturer was a good person so he let her go this time and gave her an easy punishment only.

A girl poked her from aside, made her turned around. “Oh, Jay.” She smiled seeing who it was.

“I heard there is a show at cafetaria on the first day. Let’s go!” she urged.

“After I finish this,” Junhee replied.

“But,”Jay pouted. “Before we go we must fill our document first. I’m afraid the show ended already.”

“Document? Which one?”

“It was about club or something.”

“Ah, that one. I had filled it last week.” Junhee grinned.

Jay sighed, “So I’m the one who haven't filled it yet.”

“Go then,” she chuckled.

“Okay! Make sure you will go to cafetaria,” Jay pointed her and giggled. “I’ll looking for you after fill my document.”

“Got it,” Junhee smiled in amusement and made an ‘OK’ sign.

10 minutes later, Junhee had finished her note. She closed her book and headed for cafetaria. She didn’t even interested actually, but it would be kinda boring if she only stay at class until the next lesson.

At the corner of cafetaria, there was a small stage with some sparkling things which was so simple but beautiful. Many students gathered and watched the performances while enjoying their foods. Junhee looked around, but there’s no seat left.

After looking around a few times, she noticed an empty space near the stage. Actually that wasn’t an ideal view to see the show, but it was better than just stood in the middle of cafetaria like a loner. Although she was a loner here.

The next performance was an accoustic from her senior. The guitarist was someone called Sungha, and the vocallist was Lim Kim. Both of them were from 2nd year.

“Good morning everyone. I’m Lim Kim and he’s Sungha,” the girl spoke up while Sungha waved to audiences. “Congratulation to our junior who have succeed to be part of us, and we want to say welcome to our home. We all are family from now on.”

“And here is it, Love Love Love by Roy Kim as present for you guys.”

As the song started everyone clapped. Lim Kim was a good singer with a soft voice and Sungha, who well-known with his skill on playing guitar, was doing his part as well. He’s a pro of course.

 

My dear, the moment
I first saw your eyes
My dear, I fell into an
unknown heart fluttering scent

I always only looked at your eyes
I hoped that you would always look at me too
I will tell you now with this voice

Love, oh love, yes,
I like you so much
Love, oh love, yes,
I really love you
Love Love Love, Love Love Love, Love Love Love

Oh my dear, just by
looking at you
Oh my dear, just by
thinking about you

Each day passed so quickly
I hoped that you would always look at me too
I will tell you now with this voice

Love, oh love, yes,
I like you so much
Love, oh love, yes,
I really love you
Love Love Love, Love Love Love, Love Love Love

 

Junhee clapped when the song ended. She liked the performance and curious what's next, but she remembered that she had to go to her next class. She was about to leave when she saw a familiar figure stood in distance.

She froze.

Is he a boy who talked to me earlier?

Yes, he is.

He leaned on the wall, alone. He put one of his foot on the wall while glanced around sometimes. He looked like he was waiting for someone.

Actually she was about to turn away, but at that time his gaze met with hers.

She blinked a few times and quickly shifted her gaze. She blushed and she could feel her cheeks heat up.

She gulped hard. She hated it when people notice that she was staring –whoever it was, especially boy–, because it made her so embarrased.

“Hey! I find you!”

Junhee almost jumped when Jay poked her without a warning. “You startled me!”

Jay raised her hands, “Sorry.”

“Don’t be like that, I almost get heart attack,” said Junhee with her serious mimic which success made Jay laughed in response.

Junhee used this chance to glance at the boy’s spot, and sighed in relief when she knew he wasn’t there anymore. “Have you finished your document?” she changed the topic.

“Yep, I choose broadcasting club. How about you?”

“Hiking,” Junhee gave her a wide smile, proud with her club. Hiking was a popular club in their university, which well-known with adventures and cool things.

“By the way, I met a handsome boy.” Jay whispered to her ear. “He’s tall, has a white skin, and he’s quite calm.”

“Whoa, you like him?” Junhee teased.

“No! I’ve already had a boyfriend, Miss!”

Junhee laughed. This new friend was really cute and silly. “I knew it, just kidding Miss. So, who is he Mrs. Jay?”

She shrugged, “Nah, I don’t know his name yet."

It reminded Junhee to someone. A boy who met her a while ago. He is tall and has a white skin, but she wasn’t sure if he is a calm boy.

“Jay, I think I know him. Tall and has a white skin,” Junhee said. “And... handsome.” She rubbed her neck, feeling a bit shy when she said the last word. “I met him too this morning, plus, he was here a while ago. but I don’t know his name.”

“Really?” Jay exclaimed. “Let’s find him then!”

“What?! How about our next class?”

“Forget it, I want to meet him again!”

 

***

 

“By the way, I’ve been tired wandering around. Let’s sit, okay?” Junhee asked to Jay. Both sat on the nearest bench. The two sighed in unison, feeling tired completely. They had walked around the buildings about thirty minutes just to find the boy, but sadly he was nowhere to be found.

“Why we couldn’t find that boy? Is he hiding or something?” Jay pouted.

“Maybe he is in his class now,” Junhee guessed. “Just thank God our lecturer can't come so we could wandering around like this.”

“YAH! THAT’S HIM!” Jay suddenly screamed. Junhee stood up quickly and followed Jay’s gaze. “Where? Where?”

But...

“Hey, I didn’t see anyone.” Junhee furrowed her eyebrows. Jay faced her with her childish smile, “He entered the toilet already.”

Junhee mentally scoffed. Seriously?

“I think I won’t meet him today. I won’t try to find him again. I'm tired.”

“Nam Junhee, we can wait him until he come out from toilet! Just wait, okay?” Jay begged.

Junhee sighed, “I’ll wait while sit here.”

Jay nodded excitedly. She stood while once looking around checking if he passed by. Junhee didn’t pay too much attention, and she became sleepy because of the breezy air. Not to mention, this girl was so easy to fall asleep, moreover when she feel tired.

“Jay,” Junhee called. “Wake me up if you want to go. If he pass by, don’t bother me and just talk with him. I will sleep first,” she said and groaned.

“Are you sure?” Jay titled her head. Junhee nodded, and with that, she closed her eyes and went to dreamland.

 

***

 

Junhee groaned. She walked slowly towards the gate with half of awareness. She didn’t remember anything, she just remember she slept on the bench. How long she had fallen asleep, she didn’t know too. Jay shook her to wake her up, and left her right after that because she hurried about something. Jay mentioned something but she didn't really hear her. Now, she ended up walked alone.

The school was almost empty because it was already 5pm. She jerked when she realized it, “Han Ahyoung!”

She mend her pace, recalled that she promised Ahyoung to meet her at 2pm. She was almost to reach the front gate when someone stopped her.

“Excuse me!” someone called. Junhee looked up to see a girl holding a paper and handed it to her. Junhee took that paper and furrowed her eyebrows.

“Join us, Journalistic Club,” she said before Junhee could ask. The girl smile warmly at her with her hopeful expression. “It’s okay if you have chosen other club. You can choose more than one club.” She explained.

Junhee nodded and smiled back. “I’ll think about it.”

“You can contact the CP, it's written on the paper,” she added. "Have a nice day!” the girl waved and left her.

Junhee continued walking. When she reached the bus stop, she could see Ahyoung had waited for her.

“Ahyoung!” she called. “Have you been waited so long?” Junhee asked.

Ahyoung shook her head, “No, I’ve just arrived.”

“I’m sorry, I fell asleep.” Junhee grinned sheepishly.

“It’s okay. I just finished my class too,” she said. “I have a project in my class, and I forgot to tell you.”

“Then it was a luck because I fell asleep,” Junhee joked.

"Whatever," Ahyoung shook in amusement.

When the bus came, Ahyoung went in first and Junhee followed along. As usual, they took the back seats.

“How was it?” Ahyoung asked.

“What?”

“Your first day.”

“I like it, it was interesting.” Junhee smiled “How about you, then?” she asked back.

“It was fun,” Ahyoung grinned. "My lecturer has a good skill to make someone interested to his lesson.”

“By the way I met someone today,” Junhee said.

“Who?”

“I don’t know his name, but my friend try to find it out today. And I’ve fallen asleep on the middle of our hunting, so I don’t know the result.” Junhee laughed.

Ahyoung rolled her eyes, “You always like that.”

"What?"

"Sleep. You are a sleepyhead."

“I really sleepy!” she defended.

Ahyoung just shook her head in response. She took out her earphone and nudged Junhee, “It’s my turn to sleep. Wake me up when we arrive.”

“Yes, Ma’am.” Junhee responded playfully.

About ten minutes later, the bus stopped when the traffic light turned to red. Junhee looked at Ahyoung and noticed that she was fell asleep.

“This girl,” she chuckled.

Ahyoung was her best friendnce elementary school. They always in the same class and same clubs, but this time they were aparted. Ahyoung who liked to talk about human rights and laws decided to go to Law Department, and Junhee who loved economics and accounting decided to go to Accounting Department.

The traffic light was still red when she looked out the window, seeing how people walked across the street. She leaned on the window frame to get a better view. She liked to see people.

It was when she saw a familiar figure.

Him.

A boy stood near the zebracross while tapping his left foot. He wore a black T-Shirt with white polcadot and a short jeans. His brown cap covered half of his head and he let his bangs blew by the air.

Now she really admitted it. That boy was freaking handsome. She didn’t recognize it before.

A grandma came and stood beside him. She looked like she was about to cross the street but too weak to walk.

And what happened next made her softened.

The boy guided the grandma with took her right hand and began crossing the zebracross. Every steps he took were so calm and he made sure that the grandma could walk well. He smiled warmly to her when they reached the opposite street and asked something to her. She nodded excitedly and mouthed something, maybe gratitude, and then she patted him lovingly.

Junhee totally amazed with his actions. How could someone could be so nice?

He waved to the grandma and turned around. And then, his eyes met with hers.

“Oh my God,” Junhee quickly turned away. Why everytime she was staring he always noticed?!

She peeked her eyes slowly to check if he was still there or not. Unfortunately, he was.

She gulped hard. He was smiling to her.

The traffic light turned to green at that time. She sighed, it was close really.

That boy was really something, he noticed that she was staring twice today. First, when she was staring at cafetaria. And now, she had been caughted that she was staring from the bus.

Can he please understand that she was so embarassed? Oh my.

 

 

 

 


 

 

As I have mentioned, I edited this chapter by adding more words, but the plot is still the same. Enjoy! :)