Chapter 3: Obsession

Beyond
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
“And I found love where it wasn’t supposed to be Right in front of me, talk some sense to me And I’ll use you a makeshift gauge of how much to give and how much to take I’ll use you as a warning sign That if you talk enough sense then you’ll lose your mind” Amber Run – I Found

 

Two months, it wasn’t long enough to get to know people, no. But I can say that there’s definitely something strange about Donghae, or to put it even more precisely, about the way he behaved towards me. I don’t remember when exactly that I started to noticed that he’s been coming to me a lot, almost everyday, sometimes I even spotted him standing not too far away from me at a place he shouldn’t be, my faculty building. Maybe he got a business there? No I don’t think so, he’s from a whole different major and I’ve seen him there way too much.

What is he doing? He scared the hell out of me, why would he appear from everywhere and so on? I don’t even know if I could describe his behavior as a mere attachment, it’s more like… He’s stalking me. I’ve already know without people pointed it out for me that I’m the kind of person that’s extremely wary towards people, but this whole thing with Donghae, I don’t think it’s just me being wary. I’m just glad that he hasn’t show up at my front door, really.

I looked around screening the crowds, searching for something or someone who didn’t belong there. I’ve been siting at the outdoor cafeteria having lunch before going to the next class in an hour later, enjoying a bit of sunlight and cold breeze on my skin. It such a nice day, calm and relaxed me from unnecessary thought, until someone come over and sit down on a chair beside me without asking for permission.

“Having a nice day, Hyukjae?”, he said teasingly.

I sighed heavily, “What is it Heechul hyung? Running away from a meddlesome lover again?”.

“Why is it you always said that every time I came here?” he frowned.

“Because someone from your major shouldn’t have anything to do here”, I take a sip of my coffee.

“Beside I don’t have a lover”.

“Well, your affairs then, you’ve been having a lot of them lately”, replied me uninterested.

“You. Really. Are. Not. Cute”, he pinched my cheek so hard and yanking it up before he let it go.

“Ouch, seriously, you have to stop doing that! My face would ripped off!”.

“Maybe then you’ll be better looking, you should thank me for fixing your damaged face”.

“Aish… It’s only damaged because of what you did”, I said feeling annoyed with my hand keep on rubbing the red swollen cheek of mine. Heechul just scoffed at me and sat there in silent.

“Have you seen Donghae?”, suddenly he asked breaking the silent after a few minutes.

I jolted at the name, “Today? No…”.

Heechul turned his head to look at me, “Today?”.

“Uh… He’s been coming here almost everyday”, I answered hesitantly.

“That boy, really…”, he sighed and looked away, putting both his hands behind his head.

“Why?”.

“I haven’t seen him for almost two weeks now and he’s not replying to any of my messages”.

“…really?”, a bit surprised at what Heechul just said.

“He’s been texting you, didn’t he?” he asked looking at me again.

“Yeah…” crazily, I thought.

“Aah… I think he’s changing. But I don’t know if it’s for better or worse”, he sighed.

“Changing how?”

“It’s even harder to get a hold of him now, maybe because he finally found something interesting”, Heechul looked at me with a vague smile.

I jerked up an eyebrow wanting an explanation, “what do you-“.

“Hey, that’s him”, Heechul cut me off and leaning his body forward. “It’s amazing how he just showed up right when we’re talking about him”.

I tensed a bit, right, he appears from everywhere.

Donghae walking through the crowds steadily, straight to where we’re siting, not even bother to look aside when he bumped into someone. I looked at Heechul and realize how he seems to be surprised too, why did Donghae rushing like that? Donghae’s face looked so tense until he came closer for a few meters, he seem to sighed in relief. Then he stood right beside our table, smiling as if asking for permission to sit down on the same table.

“Donghae… What happened?” Heechul asked breaking the awkward moment.

“What? Nothing happened, why?”, he huffed with a smile, looking at me.

“You rushed here… Like…” Heechul asked again in confusion.

“…in a hurry?”, I continued the sentence.

Donghae laughed with his hand covering his mouth, “Really nothing, I’m just a bit curious, I thought you were a girl hyung!”.

“What?”, Heechul suddenly jumped out from his chair, I thought he would hit Donghae. Instead he’s grinning and winking like an idiot, “was I so beautiful that you hurriedly coming like that?”

Donghae laughed again still with his eyes on me. I wondered to myself, would anyone rushed like that just because he saw a beautiful girl? And why did he keep on staring at me? Before I realize it Donghae already sit himself down beside me, smiling whenever I look at him.

“Hyukkie”, he called with a sweet voice.

“Hi…” I smiled back at him uncertain. Strange enough I don’t hate him, no matter how much he scared me, I just can’t pull myself away from him.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“Uh… siting?”.

He chuckled, “no stupid, I can see that you’re siting. What are you doing today?”.

It must be his smile, it’s too innocent, so sweet that I can’t describe it. I’m feeling so bubbly every time he did that, it pulls a string in my heart. “I got class after this”, I answered.

“You are?”, he looked a bit disappointed. “Stay here until then, you don’t need to go somewhere else before it right?” he asked holding on my sleeve.

“No… I think,” answering him unsurely.

“You think…?” he looked anxious and his eyes searching for something in mine.

I grinned, “Okay I’ll stay”.

His smile become even brighter, his eyes stare deep into mine and I can’t help but smiling back at him unconsciously.

“Guys, guys, I’m here too you know”, Heechul suddenly intervened while his hand fanning his face even though it’s cold out here. “It’s really awkward seeing you two”.

I coughed getting out from the bubbly feeling, awkward indeed.

“Awkward? Why?” Donghae asked obliviously.

“Love is in the air…” Heechul hummed mockingly. “Nah, it just you. Seriously though, what is it with you two?”.

“Everybody asked the same thing over and over again”, I sighed.

“What’s with us? Is there something wrong?”, again Donghae so oblivious about himself.

“I heard that Hyukjae stayed a night at your place?”.

I clasped my hands on my face, it has to be that topic again.

“Yeah he did”, Donghae keep turning his eyes to me and Heechul, clearly he’s confused at what’s going on.

“What happened that night?” Heechul chuckled while wiggling his eyebrows.

“Hyung, seriously…” I gasped getting annoyed.

“We slept together”.

“What?!”, both me and Heechul exclaimed.

“What, what? We slept right, what else is there to do? It’s already late at night, so we went straight to sleep”.

What innuendo, I thought. He should use a better word rather than slept together, we’re not even sleeping in the same bed.

“The innocent kind?”, Heechul asked, apparently he’s not satisfied yet.

“What do you mean?”, Donghae frowned.

“The kind-“.

“Yes yes yes yes, it was obviously, definitely and of course the innocent kind!”, I cut Heechul off, which only make him giggling even more.

“Why so anxious Hyukjae? You make it even more suspicious…”, Heechul smirked while squinting his eyes.

“I didn’t, it’s just your imagination, you let it go too wild”.

“No seriously, you-“.

“We haven’t had a gathering party again recently, right, Donghae?”, I said to change the topic because Heechul wouldn’t let it go.

“Oh yeah, that’s right we haven’t. Usually you arrange it every two weeks hyung”, Donghae asked and I’m sure Heechul wouldn’t be able to leave his favorite Donghae hanging.

Heechul looked at me with displeased face, “Yeah I don’t need it anymore, so I didn’t arrange it. What, you want me to?”

“No, I’ve never liked it… Why you don’t need it anymore?”, Donghae leaned in front of us.

In that moment I saw Heechul’s face softened looking at Donghae then he glance at me before smiling a bit, “because I don’t need it anymore, that’s it”.

Donghae sighed, “you just repeating what you just said”.

Heechul chuckled weakly, leaned into me and whisper, “because he found you”.

A shiver run down to my spine, I tensed, what did he mean by that? But deep down in my heart I know what is it he’s talking about. Heechul’s gaze felt like it’s actually piercing my heart, I didn’t do anything, I know. But I can’t deny it either that Donghae obviously very attached to me, I can even say that he’s stalking me, something that’s really out the world as we know it how Donghae’s character truly is. Heechul must be talking about that, how finally Donghae took notice about other people, how finally he sought another being out. And that is me.

I couldn’t withstand the heavy feeling, so I pretended to look at my watch, “Oh, I have to go now”. I put away the tray off the table and getting up. Donghae is getting up too which surprised me, “what are you doing?”.

“Huh? I’m coming with you”, he answered.

“I’m going to my class, Donghae”.

“Yeah, I know… I’m coming with you until the door”, he looked puzzled.

Seriously Donghae? I found myself in disbelief. “No, you’re staying here”, I don’t want him to start stalking me openly.

“But…”, he pouted.

“You just arrived right? You must be tired, you should sit down, rest for a little bit”.

He keep looking at me with pleading eyes without saying anything and Heechul just sat still can’t believe what is he seeing right now. And I know for better that Donghae wouldn’t let me go if I don’t compensate him.

“I’ll call you tonight”, I said finally after debating what should I compensate him with.

And there he is, beaming with a bright smile and nodding happily like some child getting the candy he’s been eyeing for.

I’m tempted to his cheek before leaving, but no. I’m not ready yet to let him get even closer to me, not when he’s already coming closer in full throttle. “I’m going then”, I said while waving to him and Heechul.

Before I get too far Heechul jumped onto me and whispered, “God, did he always like that when he’s with you?”.

I backed away a bit because he’s being too close but he wouldn’t let me go, “Uh, yeah… I guess…?”.

“Damn, seriously? This is beyond my imagination, I didn’t expect him to be like that even in my wildest dream! What did you do, what did you do, what did you do!”, he’s shrieking in a low voice and shaking my body excitedly.

“First it was Jungsu hyung, then a few other asked me that, now you too hyung? Really, you guys should ask him instead of me because I didn’t do a damn thing! And stop shaking me or I’ll throw up on your face”.

Heechul let go of his grip on me while cussing, “Aish, I’m serious here. I’ve been with him for years now and he hasn’t acted that way, not even in a nano bit, with me”.

“I’m answering seriously and honestly too”.

“Even though he’s the worst type ever for you”, whispered him very close to my ear I can feel his breath.

“…what?”.

“Someone like you being chased around, you’ll always take a step back and evade them, wouldn’t you?”.

It dawned on me. I did, didn’t I? especially towards Donghae, who is been coming into me too strongly.

“Don’t you think it’s strange how you’re not that repulsed at his behavior towards you?”.

I gulped, feeling my body becoming even more tensed. Bit by bit something is surfacing in my mind, but I shake it off quickly. “What are you, a profiler hyung?”, I answered mockingly.

He take a step back, smirking, “No, I’ve known you for years too Hyukjae and do I have to tell you that you’re freaking like an open book?”.

Before I can retort to his statement a voice heard from behind us, “what are you guys talking about?”. Donghae standing not too far from us with curiosity filled in his eyes, “it looked fun”.

Heechul quickly grab Donghae’s shoulder and lead him back to the chair, “no, nothing! You should go now Hyukjae, or you’ll be late!”.

So I get going, waving once before looking ahead and not stopping to look back again. Feeling a twinge at my heart

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter