Chapter 3

More Than This

Inside the classroom

Taeyeon’s POV

“Where could that shikshin be?” I mumbled to myself as I look around the classroom, still no sign of him. I glanced at my watch and let out a sigh. There’s only few minutes left, before the class starts. “How could he afford to be late for the first day of school?” I talked to myself once again, then I received a text message, and it’s from him.

From: Shikshin Soo

I’ll be a bit late, there’s something going on with my tummy.

“That’s what you get from eating too much.” I said after I finished reading his message. Then the bell suddenly rang, a few minutes later, our homeroom teacher entered the room…with a girl. I bet she’s our new classmate, which everyone was talking about.

“Good morning class. This is the start of your last year in high school, so let’s make this year, an unforgettable one. And as you can see, someone’s with me, she’ll be your new classmate. Please introduce yourself.” Mr. Park said as he gave way for her to introduce herself.

Jessica’s POV

“I’m Jessica Jung. I’m from the States. I hope we’ll all be friends.” I introduced myself as I bow. I decided to study where Sooyoung is currently studying. I told my father about this and he immediately agreed. I knew Sooyoung belongs in this class also, so I looked around, but unluckily, I didn’t found him.

“You may now take your seat Miss Jung, beside Miss Hwang.” he said

“Hey, why Sooyoung is not here yet?” I asked Tiffany as I took my seat.

“I don’t know, maybe he’s just late. By the way, welcome to our school.” she said while flashing her eye smile.

“Thanks” I simply replied as I smile back.

Taeyeon’s POV

It’s been an hour, but Sooyoung’s still not here. The bell already rang, so I decided to go to the canteen by myself. When I was about to go out, I saw Sooyoung running.

“Just a bit late huh?” I said sarcastically. “You just missed the first subject.”

“Sorry, it’s just that my stomach badly hurts.” he said as he catch his breath from running.

“And you just missed our new classmate. She’s beautiful, I bet you’ll like her.”

“Beautiful huh? So what’s her name? he said with a curious look.

“Uhmm, if I’m not mistaken, her name is…” I said as I think for a while, but then I remembered. “Ahh, her name is Jessica, Jessica Jung.”

“Jessica Jung, are you serious?” he said with a disbelieving look.

“Yes, I’m serious. Do I look like I’m…” just when I was about to finish my words, he grabbed my wrist and dragged me. “Yah, what’s wrong with you?” I asked him, but I didn’t get his response, he just kept dragging me.

Sooyoung’s POV

When Taeyeon told me that our new classmate’s name is Jessica Jung, I immediately dashed and dragged Taeyeon towards the school canteen since it’s already break time. I really miss her. It’s been 3 years since we last saw each other. The only contact we had was through calls and sometimes we use Skype. And then I spotted her talking to Tiffany.

“Let’s go.” I said as I drag Taeyeon again.

“Why do you keep on dragging me?” he asked me, but I couldn’t care. All I want to do now is to talk to her.

Jessica’s POV

I was at the canteen, talking with Tiffany when I felt a pair of long arms, back hugging me. I felt butterflies inside my stomach, for I know who it is. I didn’t need to turn my back to know the owner of those long arms, because I know him by heart. I missed him, I missed the warmth that he always gave every time he held me in his tight yet tender embrace.

“Sooyoung?” I pretended that I didn’t know it was him. I immediately regretted that I turned around because he released his arms around me.

“Why didn’t you tell me you’re here?” he said with a pout.

“Please stop doing that Sooyoung, it makes me want to kiss you.”

“Well I wanted it to be a surprise.” I said as I composed myself.

“You know I’m not a fan of surprises. By the way, this is Taeyeon” he introduced the guy beside him.

“Taeyeon, so he’s the guy that Tiffany told me she likes. Not bad, he’s cute.”

“Hello Taeyeon-ssi, nice meeting you.” I said as I held my hand for a handshake.

“Nice to meet you too. Please drop the formalities.” he said with his cute smile as he accepted the handshake. “That’s why your name sounds familiar. Sooyoung talks about you, like always.” he said that made me look at Sooyoung.

“Just make sure it’s good Sooyoung.”

“Of course, why would I speak something ill about you.” he said defensively.“I just always tell him how thankful I am to have a best friend like you.” he said as he put his arm on my shoulder.

“Yeah, best friend. Why can’t you see me being more than a friend, Sooyoung?”

“Okay.” I shortly reply in an upset tone.

"So, let’s give these two best friends alone.” Tiffany said awkwardly as she grabbed Taeyeon’s hand away from us.

Taeyeon’s POV

I felt that my cheeks blushed when I saw her hand still holding mine.

“Uhmm…F-Fany-ah” I said as point my lips at our intertwined.

“Oh sorry.” she said as she released my hand.

“I-it’s okay, I’ll just buy us a drink.” I said as I quickly walk away from her to hide my flushed face.

Back to SooSica

“So, how are you? You’re becoming beautiful as the years passed.” he said looking directly at her eyes. Her face immediately flushed after hearing his compliment.

“Never better. You look good also.” she said returning the compliment.

“So, what makes you decide to come back here?” he asked as he took a sip from his drink.

“Well I guess I just missed Korea.” she replied.

“You missed Korea or you miss me?” he said with his naughty smile.

“O...of course not. Never in your wildest dream Soo.”she replied as she stammered.

“You didn’t miss me?” he asked with a disbelieving look.

“Just finish your food Soo.” she said as she stuffed the whole bread to his mouth to make him shut.

After the class ended

Jessica’s POV

I was fixing my stuffs preparing to go home, when Sooyoung approached me.

“Hey Sica can I drive you home?” he asked as he sit in front of me.

“Maybe next time Soo, my driver is here to pick me up.” I answered as I hang my bag on my shoulder.

"Okay, I'll just walk you to your car then."

He walked me to my car and we stopped when we spotted my car.

“Take care Sica.” he said.

“Okay Soo, take care too.” I said as I slip inside the car.

“See you.” he said as he smiled at me and closed the car’s door for me.

Later that night

Sooyoung’s POV

I am lying on my bed, staring at my phone looking at a picture of me and Sica.

“So I guess, this will be the start of something new. It’s nice to have you back Sica.” I said before drifting off to sleep.

___________________________________________________________

Their thoughts are italicized. If you have any suggestions on how to improve this story, a simple comment would be gladly appreciated. :)