.09

Release Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

09

 

 

 

 

 

Something bounced off my window.

 

 

My heart leapt in my chest; false hope that it was Chanyeol trying to get my attention surged in me. He and Baekhyun would take turns throwing stones at my window, knowing full well that my aunt and her boyfriends were always busy…getting up to no good.

 

 

They hated to be interrupted.

 

 

So, Chanyeol and Baekhyun would summon me by throwing stones at my window, from the ground below. And I would walk to said window and greet them with a smile and a wave. Then, I’d either climb down or they’d climb up. We’d spend the whole night together. It was routine and it was never boring.

 

 

I slid off my bed and walked over to the window. I pushed it up and was immediately soaked with water from the sky. It was beating down heavily. Nevertheless, I poked my head out and looked down. Sure enough, Baekhyun stared back up at me.

 

 

“Byun Baekhyun,” I said. “What are you doing here? You’re going to be late.” I knew without checking the time that the prom would be starting very soon. He was dressed crisply in an all-black suit, with a black shirt, a black tie and black dress shoes that perfectly matched his black hair and black-rimmed eyes. He was deadly handsome.

 

 

 

 

“I…I brought you a rose,” he replied, lifting the red flower that seemed to glow against its dark background. “I’m not going to prom anymore.”

 

 

It didn’t surprise me. But I asked anyway: “Why not?”

 

 

“You won’t be there,” he answered simply. “Who else is going to take my picture…so I can prove that I looked better than Chanyeol hyung?”

 

 

I couldn’t contain the laughter that fluttered from my lips, “Eung. I hate to admit it but…you do look better than he did. Well done, oppa.” He grinned up at me with his rectangular smile and I felt my heart swell. My eyes itched to shed tears. “I miss him, Baek.”

 

 

His smile turned despondent. “I miss him too.” He looked down at the rose in his hand before holding it up higher. “Hey, Kim Nara.”

 

 

“Yeah?”

 

 

“Will you be my prom date?”

 

 

“I thought you weren’t going,” I said with furrowed brows.

 

 

He smiled sheepishly,  “I know what I said.” His smile, like Chanyeol’s, was infectious. “Are you gonna answer or are you just gonna stare at this god-like face?”

 

 

I snorted loudly, “You? God-like?”

 

 

“Hell yeah,” he affirmed. I chuckled, shaking my head at him. I looked around, taking in the severe weather.

 

 

“Baek, you’re going to catch a cold,” I told him, “Come up.”

 

 

“Come down,” he ordered, “Let’s not stay in tonight. Let’s go visit Chanyeol.” I nodded without hesitation.

 

 

“Give me a minute.” I stepped away from the window and walked to my wardrobe. I grabbed a random, black sweater and pulled it over me. I shoved my feet into Wellies and tied my wet hair up in a high ponytail. I then pulled on a rain jacket and walked back over to my window. “I’m coming down. Wait for me at the front door.”

 

 

“Okay,” he replied with a smile. “Be quick.”

 

 

“I’ll take my time,” I retorted, to which he grinned.

 

 

“Eyyy…our Nara is getting a mouth,” he tutted, shaking his head. “You’re learning from the Great Baek. Nice.” I rolled my eyes and shut my window. I fished Chanyeol’s Tom & Jerry hat out from under my bed and put it on, before leaving my bedroom. I ran down the stairs, making my way to the front door.

 

 

“Where are you going, leech?” Daejun sneered as he leaned against the doorframe connecting the kitchen and the hallway. I found it ironic that he continued to think of me as a leech, when he was the one still living under his mother’s roof at the age of 24.

 

 

Out, I was tempted to answer. Unfortunately, I was not that bold but, instead, submissive. So I answered: “I’m going to hang out with Baekhyun.”

 

 

Daejun snorted and took another swig of his beer. He already reeked of alcohol and alarms went off in my head. I’d seen too many scenes like this in movies — I’d also seen them up close and personal. I did not want a repeat of what happened to me five years ago. 

 

 

“You still hang out with that punk?” he slurred, scratching the stubble on his face. “I thought that would stop after the tall one offed himself.” My eye twitched but I stayed silent. “Ah, well. Guess some habits never die…unlike your friend.”

 

 

“I’m leaving,” I hissed, turning around. I felt cold fingers wrap around my wrist and I was yanked around. “Let go of me, Daejun.”

 

 

He looked me up and down, “You’re prettier than I remember…when the did you get so pretty?” He seemed annoyed at this revelation, as if it were somehow my fault that he found me attractive.

 

 

“It’s called puberty,” I replied with a bit of snark. It seemed Baekhyun’s sass had rubbed off on me. That, and the fact that I was in no mood to have my best friend’s death shoved in my face. Not that there would ever be a day that I would be in the mood for that. “Maybe you should look into it.” I looked him up and down. “It would do you a world of good.”

 

 

“Why, you—” He raised his hand but before he could lay it on me, my aunt entered the room.

 

 

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” she demanded, storming over and shoving Daejun off me. “Don’t you dare touch her, you pathetic excuse of a son. What the hell do you have against Nara, huh?”

 

 

“Eomma—”

 

 

“Don’t ‘eomma’ me, you little punk,” she snapped, smacking his head. “I refuse to acknowledge a failure like you as my son. What the hell are you doing with your life, huh? Kim Nara is going off to university soon to become a mind doctor.” Psychiatrist. “What the hell are you doing? Living off me. You’re the leech.”

 

 

“Eomma…”

 

I took it as my cue to leave. As much as I hated Daejun, I hated seeing him be verbally abused by his mother. It didn't matter how low I thought of someone, seeing them in pain made me uneasy, if a little sorry for them. Not enough to help them, though.

 

 

I opened the front door, revealing a wet Baekhyun. His dyed-black hair was stuck to his forehead and his suit was soaked. The rose in his hand, however, glowed vibrantly and his smile shone even brighter.

 

 

“Anyeong, maknae,” he said, shoving the rose into my hand. “For you. You’re welcome.”

 

 

“Yah,” I made a face at him, “Who asked you to get me this stupid flower?” I rolled my eyes but held the rose close to my chest. “Idiot.” He grinned and I bit my lip, pausing. Then: “I'll be your prom date.”

 

 

“That's what I thought, punk,” he took my hand, “Let’s go visit our friend.” Instead of replying with something witty, I blew  a raspberry at him. He pulled me out of the house and we were immediately enveloped by the ceaseless rain. it beat down on us like a drunken husband on his wife.

 

 

A dark image, I know.

 

 

Baekhyun opened the front passenger door to his car, ushering me in. I got in and put my seatbelt on. He shut the door then went in, in the driver’s side. He glanced at Chanyeol's hat on my head. He smiled wistfully.

 

 

“Cute,” he said, nodding at the hat. I smiled back at him and nodded.

 

 

We drove in the absence of conversation. Baekhyun sang sweetly, as he often did, and I felt a little weight lift from my heavy heart. I stole a glance at Baekhyun, taking a moment to admire his angelic features. He was an angel to me, as much as Chanyeol had been. I vowed then that I’d do anything and everything not to lose him like I lost Chanyeol.

 

 

“Oppa,” I uttered. He turned his head slightly, frequently glancing at me instead of staring directly. He was a safe driver. “You know I love you, right?”

 

 

A smile spread across his face. “Eyyyy…is our Nara getting s

Please log in to read the full chapter