.03

Release Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

03

 

 

 

 

 

 

As the years progressed, Baekhyun and Chanyeol became my reasons for living. They were the sole reasons I woke up with a smile on my face, they were why I bothered going to school every morning and studied for every test thrown at me just so I could end up in the same college as them. They were my best friends and I was theirs.

 

 

However, the lines were blurred when I was fourteen and I realised I thought of Chanyeol as more than just a friend. How could I not? He was the first person to have made me feel warm and welcome after my parents’ deaths. He held me when I was cold and took my hand before we crossed the street. He kissed my cuts and bruises, claiming his saliva had the power of healing. And I, wanting to believe every word that came out of his mouth, believed it to be true. Park Chanyeol flashed a light where I always used to see darkness.

 

 

It was inevitable that I fall for him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The three of us were at the basketball court near our neighbourhood. Chanyeol had a black and white Bulldogs snapback on his head, turned backwards. He had on a black, sleeveless t-shirt that showcased his toned arms.

 

 

 

 

He and Baekhyun were playing basketball with a group of boys whom I knew attended our high school but I didn’t speak to them. I didn’t really speak to anyone other than Chanyeol and Baekhyun.

 

 

I sat at the side, on one of the benches, with my earphones in and a book in my folded legs. Chanyeol’s iPod sat beside me as I listened to his music, enjoying the way the songs matched the novel I was reading. The volume was, however, set low as to now allow the music to completely distract me from my reading.

 

 

“Hyungs,” Kim Jongin, more commonly known as Kim Kai for whatever reason, called out as he made another basket. “How come you let that kid follow you everywhere?” At that, I raised a brow. But I stayed quiet so they wouldn’t know I was listening in.

 

 

“Kid? You’re the same age as her, pabo,” Wu Yifan, who also went by another name which was Kris, snorted. He ruffled Kai’s hair, making the younger boy recoil in disgust. “You need to step down from your ladder.”

 

 

“Why? I’m rich and handsome, I belong up here,” Kai replied cockily and I had to fight the urge to laugh out loud. “Positioned above everyone else. Even you, hyung.” Kris made a surprised sound and hit Kai over the head.

 

 

“Yah, you little punk,” he grumbled, making the others snigger. “I’m richer than you…and older!”

 

 

“Yeah, but I’m better looking,” Kai said, earning himself another smack over the head. “A-pa! Just coz you’re bitter.”

 

 

“Pretty sure girls like me more than they like you,” Kris replied, folding his arms stubbornly. He smirked at Kai, wiggling his shapely brows at him. “In fact, I bet you we could ask any girl who’s hotter between me and you…and they’d say me.”

 

 

“As if!”

 

 

“It’s fact,” Kris insisted. “I’m 17, you’re just a mere 14 year old. Girls want a man, not a boy.” I snorted and shook my head. Unfortunately, that brought attention to me. Kris and Kai looked at each other before sprinting towards me. My eyes widened and I dropped my book in my lap. I then tugged out my earphones. “Kim Nara!”

 

 

“Nara-ya!” Kai shouted. They both came skidding to a halt before me. “Nara-ya, who do you think is better looking? Me, your cool and rich classmate or this old, cranky hyung?” He made a face at Kris, which Kris returned.

 

 

“Kim Nara, who do you think is more attractive? Me, a cool and responsible oppa or this idiot little kid?” Kris asked me. I smiled humorously and shook my head.

 

 

“I don’t think I’m the right person to be asking,” I replied.

 

 

“Wae, wae, wae!?” they both spluttered. I looked up at my two best friends standing behind them, laughing at how pathetic their other friends were. Chanyeol flashed me a smile and Baekhyun winked.

 

 

“Nara-ya~~” Kai whined, stomping his foot brattishly. “Who is better looking? Just answer~!”

 

 

“Fine,” I said with finality. “Neither. The most attractive oppas here are Channie oppa and Baek oppa.” Kris and Kai’s jaws dropped. Chanyeol and Baekhyun burst out laughing, throwing their arms around each other as they pointed mockingly at their two sulking friends.

 

 

“Yah, Kim Nara-ya…you’re really something,” Kai mumbled bitterly. “Flat out saying something like that…ah, jinjja.” He scowled at me and folded his arms. “Whatever, you’re not even pretty enough for me. You’re just bitter about that.”

 

 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun stopped laughing then and marched over to him. Baekhyun slapped him over the head and Chanyeol put a hand down on my shoulder.

 

“Yah, Kim Jongin,” Baekhyun hissed, pulling Kai into a headlock. The younger male struggled against my friend, smacking his arm in a futile attempt to escape his chokehold. “You better take that back.”

 

 

“M-mwoya~” Kai stuttered, his voice strained. “What did I d-do wrong?”

 

 

“Our Nara is the prettiest girl in the world,” Chanyeol announced. My heart leapt in my chest and I stared up at him. He looked down at me and grinned. “She’s the sweetest person I know, she’s understanding, beautiful, she knows how to listen and how to talk…she’s perfection in the shape of a woman.” What I loved more was not that he thought I was perfect but that he considered me a woman. 

 

 

At that, butterflies fluttered in my stomach. My eyes opened up to a new light.

 

 

I sa

Please log in to read the full chapter