Chapter | 3

Illusion of an Insecure Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Dude, you look awful. You better stop drinking.” Jongdae said looking carefully the face of his friend, who had three empty bottles of Soju on the table.

Ignoring the comment of his friend, Chanyeol took in his hands the fourth bottle of soju and started drinking it quickly, enjoying the sensation that he experienced when the beverage ran down his throat, leaving an itchy sensation in the process. The only thing he wanted to think about in that moment was on the dizziness that caused the alcohol in his system and nothing else. But those images were still playing in a corner of his mind, hunting him, torturing him. He didn’t want to feel nor to think either. And yet his cheeks were flooded with tears.

He had never seen his friend like this, so broken and lost and knew exactly the reason behind all his suffering, and even if he wanted to despise her for having broken his best friend’s heart he couldn’t do it, not when he knew very well that she only did what was best for her since Jongdae knew that Chanyeol cheated on her with different girls almost every night. But still, he never doubted the love that his friend had for Yuna. He could clearly see that the boy was in love with her, but the guy had been too immature and stupid as to have taken care of their relationship properly. Jongdae didn’t want to see him in this state. This wasn’t the Chanyeol he knew, the guy that was in front of him wasn’t his best friend, because his best friend wouldn’t be here doing nothing, his best friend wouldn’t be here giving up and much less giving up the woman he loved.

“What the heck are you doing, Park Chanyeol?! What are you doing here getting drunk while the woman you love is in the arms of another man?! How can you be such a coward?!” He said rising his voice, suddenly upset by the immaturity of his friend.

Chanyeol had a high resistance to alcohol so he wasn’t drunk enough to not have understood Jongdae’s words, which pierced to the depths of his being. His friend was right, he was a coward, but couldn’t do much about it now, it was too late. He had seen them. He had seen them with his own eyes. He had seen how Yuna was kissed by another man, and he hadn’t had the courage to do something about it. He had been standing there like an idiot while he witnessed how as his girl was taken away from him forever. And worst of all, he had done nothing about it and neither planned to do something. He had no doubt about his feelings for her. God! He loved her so ing much, but he knew he had lost the right to claim her as his own. Besides he didn’t dare to appear before her after so many months and make her life a misery once again. He had seen the smile she had shown in front of that guy. He had seen the happiness in her eyes. He had seen how she looked at that guy, just like he had also seen how that guy looked at her as if she was all that mattered on planet earth. And Chanyeol felt really insecure for the first time in his life, felt that he couldn’t beat him. He felt that he had already lost her, because he thought that she was already in love with another man, leaving him in the most painful oblivion.

He was devastated and confused. He had wanted to find her since he realized that she would never return. He was searching for her non-stop for months, but now didn't know whether it had been a good thing having found her or not. In fact a part of him had regretted of having found her. A part of him regretted having followed her that day in which he saw her by chance on that coffee shop. He must have turned around and escaped from there by the time he saw that she was with another man, but he didn’t. He had decided to follow her all day long just to know where she lived, to know where he could find her. But thanks to that now he knew he had lost her. And didn’t even have the uncertainty of his side because now he really knew she had forgotten about him, and that hurt a lot more.

“S-She…already forgot about me, Jongdae.” He said in a whisper, as if it were a lament. “She…she…looks happy with t-that guy.” He said as he squeezed the bottle between his hands tightly.

His friend let out a long sigh. “You're an , you know that? You by yourself made her leave and now rather than fight for her you just give up.” He said as he shook his head, somewhat disappointed by his behavior.

He took a last sip and then set the empty bottle on the table. “It's b-better that w-way…s-she is happy…I can’t take that away from her.”

“So…are you really going to give her up, forever?”

New tears came out from his eyes to break through to reach his, already soaked, cheeks. “Yes...I'll give her up.” And those were his last words, he didn’t speak in all that remained of the night.

They were comfortably lying on the sofa while the television was on. They had supposedly decided to see a horror movie marathon, but there they were, cuddled in each other's arms as they stared at each other’s eyes as if there was nothing more interesting to do...such as see the movie for example. Baekhyun watched her face as if she was the only thing that existed in his universe. He examined every detail of her pretty features to memorize them. He didn’t want to miss any detail of her face, not even the small mole – barely visible – that she had under her left eye. He found her so beautiful and adorable that couldn’t believe she was finally his. And even though he knew he needed a long way to go to win her heart completely, likewise he felt that he had already won half of the race, after all he had managed to be her boyfriend, and fall in love with him would only be matter of time. Besides he believed that the girl was beginning to open up her heart to him. He knew he was a very special person to her and that was enough for now.

Yuna couldn’t describe all the sensations that made her feel that gaze; that intense and pure gaze. Sometimes she felt she couldn’t handle that look. Sometimes she felt she could never reciprocate that gaze and it frightened her. Sometimes she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter