The Book

The Twelve Keys
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Grandma, I'm here!" The front door swung open as  Lee Seul prominently walked into the house.

"Oh, hello dear-" Her grandma greeted her from the kitchen. "You came just in time. The cookies are bout' done."

After settling into the kitchen, she grabbed the tray of freshly baked cookies and placed it on the table.

"Here, try some sweetie." Lee Seul followed as told. "Wow, two thumbs up as always!" She gave her an eye smile with two thumbs in the air.

"Silly girl. Now get to work, the attic won't clean itself will it?"

"Yes ma'am!" She saluted and  headed up the ladder into the small space full of antics and dust. This became a yearly routine. Every summer once school ends, Lee Seul would come over to her grandmother’s house to clean the attic and help around the house since she is growing old and can’t complete them herself.

“So dusty.” She coughs as a tsunami of dust wrapped her entire body. She started her cleaning, folding old clothes, stacking books, and such. While going through one of the boxes, she discovered an old photobook.

"Grandma was beautiful in her twenties. So was mom." She left little side comments as she flipped through the pages. The cleaning came to end within two hours. Just when she got up and was about to walk toward the hole she came in from,

“Ah!” She tripped and fell. The whipped her head towards the culprit, which happened to be a book.

“Where did this come from?”  It was one she had never seen before. It had vines and a hexagonal lock on the side of it. She ran her fingers carefully over the locks and it unlocked with a click. The vines then disappeared like it was never there in the first place.

             “This is weird.” She quickly placed the book inside of her bag and headed back down the ladder, into the kitchen to where her grandmother was.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter