900 Days (Kaisoo)

the exo genderbend oneshot project!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

title: 900 days
pairing: girl!d.o/kai
genre: angst
rating: PG-13
warnings: death
summary: 900 days ago, jongin was just another boy who ruined kyungsoon's day.
900 days later, kyungsoon was just another girl jongin cannot live without.

 

Count your blessings, Jongin. Count your ing blessings, he whispered to himself over and over again like a mantra.

I’m so sorry, Kyungsoon, he whispered to himself as he dished out a cigarette from the box in his hand, trying his best not to let the tears fall again. Jongin promised Kyungsoon he’d quit smoking (because smoking is bad for your health and one stick will cut out 7 minutes of your life and that means 7 minutes shorter with me!”) and he actually did for a while. But the bomb his girlfriend dropped on him was so massive that if he did not cling onto his cigarettes, he’d go crazy.

 

Before Do Kyungsoon, Kim Jongin’s life has been pretty much a train wreck. He was the walking and talking wreck, and the epitome of every teacher’s nightmare. His parents did not care for him- it was always his two sisters before him, who were much smarter and talented and brighter than him. His teachers gave up on him and his antics back at school. He didn’t care about his studies, only having one goal which was to travel to Seoul and kick start his looming dance career. At that point in time, nothing else mattered. That was before Do Kyungsoon happened.

They met outside of a convenience store in Itaewon, when Jongin accidentally bumped into her, causing her to spill her Fanta all over her white dress shirt. Now, girls rarely scare him. Even if they used to get angry with him all the time, they would just shout at him and call him various names, but Jongin could handle that. However, the dangerous glare in her round eyes and the way she was trying to suppress her anger from lashing out at the looming stranger evident from her trembling lips was enough to make Jongin shake in the legs. He was actually scared of her.

“I’m sorry! I’m so sorry,” He automatically bowed in her direction, not daring to lift his eyes. “I’ll… I’ll buy you another one,”

“…I have a job interview in an hour,” Her voice was soft, lowered down to a whisper but Jongin could catch the hint of her words, eyes widening at the realisation.

“Uh… I- I… I can buy you a shirt for your interview,” He offered. “I’m really sorry, I just… please let me buy you a shirt,”

He watched as she stared him up, probably calculating the odds of what this odd man might do to her. Jongin shifted his weight from left to right, suddenly growing conscious of how he looked like in front of her. Stuffing his hands in his pockets, he offered again. “May I?”

He sighed in relief when she meekly nodded, chucking the empty bottle of Fanta angrily into the dustbin. She walked past him, expecting him to follow suit as she walked further down the road. Dumbfounded, Jongin followed, trying to keep up with her short, angry strides. “Hey, what’s your name? I’m Jongin,”

“You’ll know my name when you buy me a nice shirt,”

She muttered in between gritted teeth, her heels clicking angrily against the pavement. Jongin wanted to laugh at how cute she was, but decided against it (unless he wants his head on a stake the next minute). If she wasn’t so angry, he would’ve shamelessly flirted with her right there and then- toying with her wispy shoulder length hair, running a finger softly across her cheek, probably steal a kiss or two.

 

The both of them ended up in a department store at a nearby mall, with him following suit as she headed straight to the formal wear section, cruising rail after rail for a decent shirt. He tried to make conversation with the quiet girl, asking things about her interview, but if she didn’t manage to shut him up, she would deliberately ignore him. Jongin wore a hurt puppy expression throughout, head downcast as he merely followed him.

“This,” He caught her attention when she pushed a shirt on a hanger into his chest. “I think this fits me,”

Jongin gingerly took the shirt in his hands and secretly skimmed through the price tag. He raised both eyebrows in scrutiny, taking note of the ridiculous price of a ridiculous white shirt but chose to keep mum about it. It was his fault to begin with, and he didn’t want to screw up any future chances with the girl standing right in front of him by doing a silly mistake of pointing out his opinion.

“Thank you,” She accepted the paper bag as soon as he finished paying for it, a hint of a small smile playing on her lips. “And my name’s Do Kyungsoon,”

 

“Why are you following me?” Kyungsoon asked as Jongin walked next to her to an unknown direction, a smile playing on his lips.

“Hmm? Why, to send you to that interview, of course! I also got you a lucky charm, which is that shirt I bought you, so I figured you allowing me to walk you there would be more befitting,”

He watched as she furrowed her eyebrows, turning her head away from him. Jongin smiled to himself at the sight of her trying to hide her smile by biting her lower lip, not giving him the upper hand. She was playing hard to get, and nothing drove him crazier than girls who play hard to get.

“You don’t have to, you know,”

“But I want to,”

 

Jongin stood in front of a gloriously tall office building, watching as Kyungsoon entered the main entrance with her cute short strides, confidently tucking her hair behind her ears.

“Good luck, Do Kyungsoon!” He shouted at her only to be met with a disapproving look from her as she turned around, placing a finger against her plump lips. Jongin chuckled, leaning against the railing.

 

An hour later, Jongin’s smile brightened when she came out of the building, a wide smile plastered on her face. Her round eyes met his and widened at the sight of him, her heels clicking against the pavement as she walked over.

“What are you doing here?”

Jongin shyly pushed his floppy brown hair back, bearing a half smile. “Waiting for you to finish your interview, of course. So, how did it go?”

Kyungsoon looked like she was about to explode in happiness. “I got it! I got the job!” She exclaimed, hands flailing in joy as she jumped in excitement, and Jongin thought she could not be any c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter