Explanations

Breaking the Rules

Corina sat in silence inside of the cab Kai had called for her. She wasn’t wearing shoes which, surprisingly, wasn’t what was pissing her off. She was still wearing his clothes, which also wasn’t what was making her the most angry. What was making her incredibly infuriated was how smooth he’d been about paying the cabbie.

 

She wasn’t sure why.

 

Why he’d paid, after all she was the one in the car, why he was so quick about it, and why, after loading her into the cab, he told her he’d see her again. All these things made her angry to absolutely no end, and she couldn’t explain it, so she sat in silence, staring out the window as the cab drove straight. She’d given her address when Kai was far enough away not to hear it, and they were nearing her apartment at that moment. She was thankful. All she wanted was for the day to be over.

 

The cab stopped. “Have a nice day, miss.” The man said as she climbed out.

 

“Thank you, you as well.” She said, closing the door and starting towards her apartment building. She moved inside, greeted the man behind the front desk and moved towards the elevator. The manager gave her an odd look when she greeted him, looking down at her feet, and looking over the clothes that clearly were not her own. “Excuse me, sir,” She said lightly, breezing into the elevator and pressing the button that brought her to the fourteenth floor, where she and her roommate resided.

 

They were the last apartment at the far end of the apartment building. She silently moved down the hall all the way to her apartment. It was quiet on the outside, but she knew that when she unlocked the door she would be engulfed in loud, boy band music that she didn’t necessarily care for. With a sigh, she punched in the seven digit code and, when the little tune played signaling that the door was unlocked, she opened it.

 

She wasn’t wrong. Music blared around her. It was an upbeat, incredibly feminine song. Corina rolled her eyes. It wasn’t that she didn’t like Korean music. It was just that all the bands her roommate, Ahn Min Young, listened to bands with music that Corina found to be the equivalent of the American Justin Bieber.

 

Upon hearing the door close behind her, Corina wasn’t surprised to hear stomping down the stairs. “Rina? Rina, is that you?”

 

“Who else has our passcode, Min Young? For a man with a name that literally means clever forever, you aren’t all that clever.” Corina sighed, standing in the entry way with her arms crossed.

 

Min Young turned around the corner and hurried down the hall towards her. Corina’s roommate had been her friend since middle school. Originally, they had been pen pals, but when she moved to the country to teach, they reconnected and rented an apartment together, just down the street from where they taught. Min Young hadn’t changed too much in the years Corina had known him. He was still tall, still lanky, and he still had the same mischievous black brown eyes he’d had when they had first met, only now, his hair no longer brushed his shoulders. It was cut away from his eyes, but was long and textured, enough to reach the bottom of his ears on the sides. He’d claimed to have modeled it after Lee Min-ho in City Hunter, which Min Young was obsessed with, but Corina thought it was an incredible mistake.

 

At that moment, his brown eyes weren’t mischievous, they were worried. “Where the hell have you been? I was so worried!” He said, pulling her into a hug. “Who was that stupid man?”

 

Corina knew Min Young was going to be upset. When she’d seen the look on his face just as Kai tugged her away from their students, she knew she had some serious explaining to do. “Let me take a shower and then I’ll explain everything,” She said with a sigh. “It’s been a long day.”

 

Min Young’s eyes narrowed as he pulled away from her and took in her appearance. “Whose clothes are those?”

 

Another sigh. “Min, I told you I’d explain after I took a shower.”

 

“Tell me now, Corina, before I put out a search warrant.”

 

She in her lip. He was going to yell at her. It wasn’t her fault, and she knew already that he was going to yell at her. “If you let me take a shower first, I’ll pay for French Tower.” The French Tower was a prestigious restaurant not too far from where the two lived, which Min Young was in love with.

 

His lips pressed into a thin line. “Fine, but I expect all the details, understood?” With that, he turned and started back up the stairs to the second story loft that they shared. “Now I have to find something nice to wear,” A groan. “All for food.”

 

“Stop complaining, you love food.”

 

“My stomach says otherwise!” He shouted. “I should be a model, Rina, not a lowly teacher.” Corina laughed at this, as Min Young and Corina made the most money out of all of their colleagues. Language and Mathematics were important subjects.

 

Corina turned and started into the bathroom, happily turning the water heater on and turning on the shower.




 

Sehun stood in the center of the hotel room, staring at himself in the mirror on top of the desk. His dark hair was tousled around his head in a stylish way, pushed back from his face, and somehow he felt like he looked foolish. The stylists had dressed him in a stark black suit with a black tie. The pants of said suit were fitted to his legs, and were more like black jeans than anything else.

 

“Stop staring holes into your own face. You look fine,” Suho sighed, fidgeting with his bowtie in front of the mirror. “Besides, there’s no time to fix you anyways, we’re leaving now, so if you’re ugly, you’re ugly and that’s that.”

 

“You’re so helpful.” Sehun groaned, running a hand through his hair.

 

Suho smiled. “I know. Now, let’s get going. Our reservations were made for five thirty. We’re going to be late if you keep staring at yourself.” He started towards the door, Sehun following close behind. “Also, don’t stare at her tonight. If Chanyeol catches you, you’re dead.”

 

“Chanyeol wouldn’t-”

 

“We don’t know that, after all none of us have had a crush on his family before.” Suho winked. “So there’s no way I can warn you of what’s to come.” He patted Sehun’s shoulder. “Don’t worry too much. Besides, we’ll be too busy fussing with Kai and his idiotic actions to pay attention to this girl that you’re obsessing over.”

 

“I’m not obsessing!”

 

Suho laughed. “Then why are you so worried about your appearance. You’re Oh Sehun, maknae of EXO. Come on, any girl would fall all over you. What makes this girl so different?”

 

Sehun sighed. “I don’t know. She’s just…” Another sigh. “She’s just great.”

 

“Obsessed,” Lay said as he opened the door to his and Tao’s shared hotel room. When he said this, both Suho and Sehun stopped dead in their tracks, eyes wide. “You’re obsessed with taking your own picture.”

 

Tao shrugged. “I’m a really good looking guy, hyung.”

 

Lay offered a smile to Sehun and Suho. “Ready then?” Sehun and Suho both nodded, entirely thrown by the two. “Let’s get the others then. Chanyeol and Baekhyun are already out in the car. I don’t know about Kai and D.O., though.”

 

Suho shrugged. “I’ll go check on them. You three head on down.” He brushed past Lay and Tao, moving down the hall towards Kai and D.O.’s room.

 

Lay and Tao moved towards the elevator, and Sehun followed awkwardly behind them. “You alright Sehun?” Tao asked, looking over his shoulder.

 

Sehun shrugged. “Yeah, why?”

 

“You’ve been acting kind of weird since you got back from lunch with Chanyeol.” Tao answered, pressing the elevator button. Sehun shrugged, and the three filed into the elevator. It was a quiet ride down. They quietly moved into the car, where Chanyeol was already filling the others in on how to act at this restaurant.

 

“Just let it go,” D.O. sighed, opening the door of the car and climbing in. “You’re never going to actually see her again anyways.”

 

Kai followed, a sour look on his face. “You don’t know that.”

 

Suho sighed, closing the door behind him. “Driver,” He called, and the car started to move.




 

Corina and Min Young sat across from each other in the dimmed atmosphere of The French Tower. It was dark, but had been lit nicely by conveniently placed light fixtures. Everything about the restaurant was different. It was a cuisine, not a local hole in the wall joint, so it was far more expensive than an Ajusshi or Ajumma restaurant, which was why Min Young liked it.

 

The staff knew the two, since they were there so frequently. They knew their orders off hand and, unless the two said they wanted different, it was ready in seconds. Typically, Min Young would get a flambee and Corina would get barigoule, and the food was gone in an instant.

 

But tonight was different. Min Young hadn’t touched his food, and he’d asked Corina too many questions for her to even inch towards her own.

 

“But I don’t understand! Why did he grab you? What were you doing that he felt the need to kidnap you.” He demanded, crossing his arms over his chest.

 

Corina shrugged, taking a bite of her food. “I don’t know.” She answered flatly.

 

“What was his name? Did he tell you that?” He asked, angling himself so he could look at Corina’s face.

 

She sighed. “You mean you really didn’t see?” She asked, and he shook his head. “Well, all the students were screaming and calling him Oppa, so I figure it was either someone famous on some social media site, an actor, or an idol.” Min Young nodded, showing that he was following what she was saying. “He told me his name was Kai-”

 

Min Young gasped. “Kai? Kai! Was that all he said? Not like Jongin or something else, like a surname? Or what group he was from?”

 

Corina frowned. “He’s one of your idols isn’t he?” Min Young nodded. She sighed and rolled her eyes. “From which band?”

 

Min Young smiled incredibly wide. “EXO!” He answered happily. “I cannot believe Kai from EXO kidnapped you! Oh my god, everyone’s going to go crazy!” By everyone, Min Young meant all of his kpopper friends. He and a few of his friends from high school never outgrew the stalking boy band's phase, and Corina knew that EXO was one of the big three from Min Young’s list, followed closely by Super Junior and SHINee. That was all Corina knew, though. She hadn’t heard Kai’s name up until this point, so she figured he wasn’t the main person from the group that Min Young adored. In fact, she was positive his name started with Chen. Chen Chul? Chen Hyun? “He’s no Chanyeol,” Bingo. “But he’s definitely one of the more attractive men from EXO-K.”

 

“I have no clue what you’re talking about.” Corina groaned, shaking her head and looking down at her food.

 

Min Young stood. “I have to go make a call. Ji Min is going to want to know all about this.” He said, dialing a number on his phone and not waiting to walk away from the table before calling. Corina could her “Oh my god, you will not believe what happened!” before he could even make it to the door.

 

She shook her head. “What is happening to my life,” She asked quietly, taking another bite of her food. It was starting to get cold, but she didn’t mind. She didn’t think that her endeavour would cause this much commotion, but when she really thought about it, she should have known better.

 

Min Young slid back into place in front of Corina. “Well,” She said sighing. “That was a quick call.” A quick call to Ji Min never happened. Those two talked for hours on end every single time one of them called to tell the other it was raining. She looked up, a concerned expression plastered on her face. “What-”

 

Kai smirked. “So you’re following me, huh?”

 

The crack that echoed through the restaurant was so loud, Corina was sure that Min Young could hear her outside. Kai was thrown back in surprise, which, really, he shouldn’t have been surprised by her reaction. His hands immediately flew to his cheek, and his jaw dropped, his eyes wide with pain and disbelief. Did he really think sneaking up on her in a five star restaurant wouldn’t warrant a slap? He was sadly mistaken.