Moving

Breaking the Rules

Sehun spent the second half of the day pondering why Victoria would only “geek out” if he was Baekhyun, and trying to help Nari with every single thing she did. She liked a wardrobe from one of the stores they went into and, when she wasn’t looking, Sehun tested to see if he could lift it on his own so he could load it into the moving truck they had rented by himself to impress her. It was too much hard wood.

 

“I really need a bed frame,” Nari was saying, looking down at a list she had made for herself. “And I don’t want it to be wooden.”

 

Sehun silently noted that it was probably because of the fire and placed his hand against the small of her back. “Right over there,” He said, pointing towards the corner of the furniture shop. “Are metal and plastic ones.”

 

Her nose wrinkled and she looked up at Sehun. “That’s it?” She asked, and he laughed and nodded. “Maybe wooden is a better idea.”

 

“The wooden ones typically have fabric on them, so you can get some pretty cool ones,” Victoria said, striding towards the wooden bed frames.

 

Nari followed, and Sehun was right behind her as they walked towards the frames. “I don’t know if I even want a bed frame. What if I just get a few mats? Or like a mattress topper? Wouldn’t that take up less space?”

 

Victoria frowned. “It’d be messier.”

 

Sehun nodded. “She’s right. You can have a close to the ground bed, but maybe one right on the floor is a bad idea.” He pointed to the corner, where a queen size bed frame sat. It was gray fabric that was held in place by wood, which Nari liked. “I think that one wouldn’t be too bad.”

 

Nari nodded and smiled. “I think you’re right, Sehun.” She said lightly, walking towards the bed frame. Sehun followed.

 

Victoria grabbed his arm, and he spun to face her, surprised. “Hang back a little,” She whispered. “You’re hanging on her, and I don’t think she appreciates that.”

 

His brow pulled together. “What?” he asked.

 

She nodded. “Your affection for her is obvious, and if you want to have any chances, you need to hang back a bit.” She continued. “Give her a bit of space.”

 

“Am I really that-”

 

“Just a little.” Victoria answered, walking to Nari’s side.




 

Corina stood in front of her class with a ruler pointed towards the board. The students were reading the vocabulary out loud and she was nodding or correcting their pronunciations. She was in the process of teaching them colors and animals in English, though most of them already understood.

 

As the class drew to a close, Corina cleared . “You’ve each already been handed the three worksheets I expect you to finish for homework. Please be sure to turn them in at the beginning of class tomorrow. Have a nice day, students.” She said, gathering her things and starting towards the door just as the bell rang.

 

She walked to the teacher’s lounge and grabbed her bag before starting down to the shoe lockers, where Min Young was already waiting for her. He’d already changed his slippers for his black shiny loafers and sat on the bench waiting for Corina to do the same. “How was work?” She asked, unlocking her locker and pulling out her favorite Louboutin’s.

 

Min Young sighed. “It’s been better,” He said lightly. Corina sat down and slid off her slippers, which Min Young grabbed and tossed into her locker, closing and locking it. “They’re cycling me over for sure. I pray it’s somewhere nearby the new apartment.”

 

Corina bit her lip. “Oh,” She said lightly, standing and sliding her feet around in her heels until she knew she was stable and started towards the doors. It had reached Min Young’s five year mark, and it was time for him to leave the school, which was the first school he’d ever worked in. He was twenty six years old, and he wasn’t sure how to start at a new school again. “I’m sure it will be fine,” She said, waiting as Min Young held the door opened for her.
 

He nodded. “So do you know the plan?”

 

“We’re moving our things over there this weekend.” She said easily. “Why?”

 

He shrugged his shoulders. “We have time now.”

 

As if on cue, her phone rang. She dug it from her bag and answered. “Hello?”

 

“Hey,” It was Nari, but it sounded like she wasn’t alone. “We rented a moving truck because I ended up buying more for my room than I intended. Do you want us to swing by your place and start moving a few things.”

 

Corina looked to Min Young, who looked smug with himself. “Yes. We’ll be home soon. Meet you there?”




 

Nari had text Corina telling her that she, Sehun, and a girl from the building would be driving by, but since EXO got out of their interview early, and their rehearsal was clear because of a few incidents, some of the boys would be by to help them move. Of course, Corina told Min Young some of the boys would be there, and he practically ran from the subway to the apartment.

 

“Come on!” He called, grabbing Corina’s arm and tearing her out of the elevator and down the hall. Corina had no struggle running after him in her heels, but she did try fighting back. She didn’t want to run to the apartment because she already knew who would be waiting there for her.

 

But Min Young tore her around the corner, and there stood an impressive group of people. Nari was standing with a girl who Corina felt strongly had a future in modeling, to their right was Chanyeol and Baekhyun who were engrossed in a conversation. Beside them was Chen and Sehun, who were loitering around with their hands in their pockets. And crouched on the ground with his back against the wall and his arms draped over his legs was Kai.

 

“Hey guys!” Min Young said happily, starting towards the apartment and unlocking the door. “Sorry it’s a little messy. We didn’t expect company.” He smiled extremely wide and moved into the apartment, leading the others inside.

 

Chen moved to the side, and Corina noted that dozens of boxes were leaning against the wall beside him. He grabbed a few, and then smiled at Corina. “We brought boxes.” He said, winking and moving into the apartment.

 

Everyone else piled in behind Min Young, and Corina slowly strode towards the apartment. Kai stood from the wall, his eyes locking with Corina’s. “Anywhere you want us to start?” She shook her head, and he nodded. “Okay,” He said, starting inside.

 

Corina closed the door to the apartment behind her and slid off her heels, putting on her slippers. She then grabbed a few of the unmade boxes and started towards her room, opening the door and setting the boxes down. She was going to have to start by packing her clothes, all of them, and then pillows and the such. She didn’t have much else other than furniture. She didn’t keep photos of her family, and she had no photo albums, just clothes and furniture.

 

She knelt on the floor, beginning to prep a box when she heard the tearing of tape behind her. Startled, she turned to find Kai flipping over a box, which he’d just finished making. He stood, his dark eyes landing on hers for a moment before he strode to her dresser. “What are you doing?” Corina hissed, running to her dresser and swatting at his hands.

 

He frowned. “Packing your apartment.” He answered. “It’s what we were called here to do, right?”

 

She bit her lip. “Yeah but… turn around,” She said, putting her hands on her hips. He stared at her for a moment, confused, but then he turned and slid his hands into his pockets, causing his back to hunch slightly and he huffed. Quickly, Corina pulled the drawer from the dresser and dumped it into the box, not bothering to fold what fell inside because she didn’t want him to turn around and watch her fold her undergarments. She continued, grabbing the next drawer and dumping that in as well so he couldn’t see anything. “Okay,” She said lightly. “The box is full now.”

 

“Are you serious?” Kai asked, turning around and frowning. “That took no time at all,” He said, walking over and folding the top flaps down on the box. He grabbed the tape and drew it over the top of the box before smoothing it down and tearing off the end. He then pulled a marker from his pocket and wrote ‘Corina’ on the top before beginning to open the next box.

 

What surprised Corina was that he wrote her name in perfect English. “How… do you know how to spell my name?”

 

“I sounded it out.” Kai answered easily.

 

Corina bit her lip. “It could have been a K. Or there might have been a Y in placed of the I.”

 

Kai shrugged. “Sorry I guessed right.” He said blandly, building the next box and then looking to her. “Are you going to fill this one on your own as well, or am I going to pack this one?”

 

She made a face. “I’ll make my own box,” She said, turning and forming a box.

 

When she reached for the tape and began placing it over the box, Kai spoke. “You’re doing it wrong,” He said, starting towards her. “You’re not putting the tape down tight enough. It’s going to tear open easily.” He said, moving to change how the tape was laid. Corina pushed his away, and he glared at her. “I’m just trying to help.” He said angrily.

 

Corina glared back. “I don’t need your help.”

 

Kai dropped the roll of tape and crossed his arms. “So you plan on packing this entire room on your own? And moving all the boxes down to the truck?”

 

“Kai, I never asked for your help.” She said pointedly.

 

He frowned. “Why can’t you just let me do something? Every time you’re clearly in need of help, you always attack me when I try to help.”

 

“That’s because I never, ever ask for you to in!” She shouted, glaring at him.

 

He pursed his lips. “Sorry I’m such a pain.”

 

“You really are!” She hissed. “First off, how my students treat me is none of your business. Had you just minded your own, that dramatic scene on the street wouldn’t have happened! If you hadn’t then tried to help me by trying to carry me away, I wouldn’t be in this situation! Had you let me go home when I asked and not demanded I change, I wouldn’t be getting the attention I am! And now, when I just want to be alone after a long, hard day of work, here you are, right where I don’t need you,” She said standing. “I’m not helpless, Kai! I’m not a child!”

 

He nodded. “I’m sorry, I must have mistaken you, since all kids wear stiletto heels and wear professional grade makeup.” He scoffed. “Had I judged you on your temper alone, I’d easily rate you as 4.”

 

Corina’s jaw dropped, and she pointed to her door. “Get out.” She said plainly. She didn’t need to say it twice.