Food

Breaking the Rules

Nari was in the process of packing the kitchen when Kai emerged from Corina’s room. He looked cross, and Nari wasn’t sure if it was a good idea to ask why. “Are you okay?” She asked as he moved towards her. He shook his head, and quietly began helping her wrap plates in paper so they wouldn’t shatter. “Did she yell at you again?” He nodded and Nari started laughing, which led to him glaring at her. “I’m sorry you just looked like a little boy.”


He rolled his eyes. “She always gets angry when I try to-”

 

“Help? Yeah.” Nari nodded her head. “For the short time that I’ve known her, I’ve come to realize that she really hates needing help from others, or when other people force their assistance.” Kai nodded. “But you know what you can do? Ask her.” She said, pushing a plate into the box she’s already started to fill. “Before trying to be a big tough guy and assume the damsel is in distress as she tries to build a box, ask her if you can help.”

 

Kai made a face. “I don’t think she’ll be happy with that either.”

 

“Probably not happy, but she won’t try to bite your head off.”

 

Kai opened his mouth to speak, but the door to Corina’s room opened, and she was just hanging up her phone. She was frowning. “I just got called into work.”

 

“What?” Chen asked, emerging from the living room. “You’re a teacher. And classes are over.”

 

Corina nodded. “Yeah, but there’s an exam this coming week and a few of my English students are willing to pay for tutoring hours. I have to go to the school for a few hours.”

 

“What about dinner?” Nari asked, placing a plate down. “I was going to make a huge meal.”

 

If it was possible for her to frown more, she did so. “I’m really sorry Nari. And I’m sorry to you guys too, since you’re helping us pack and all.”

 

Baekhyun smiled. “It’s not as if it could be helped,” He said sweetly. “Your students are kind of important.” He pulled a set of keys out of his pocket. “Chanyeol, I still have your keys if you want to take her.”

 

Chanyeol, who had been dragged into Min Young’s room to help him pack, nodded his head viciously. “I don’t need a driver,” Corina started.

 

“Can I drive you?” Kai asked suddenly, and Nari smirked. Already her advice was being put to use. He bit his lip and pushed a hand through his hair before speaking again. “I had to run back to the dorm anyways. And since I was already leaving, it’d be convenient and cheaper to just… get a ride?” He said awkwardly.

 

Corina eyed him suspiciously, but Nari nodded her head viciously. “Fine. Let me go get my things.” She said, turning back into her room. Kai’s shoulders dropped and he turned to look at Nari, who smiled.

 

Chen made a noise. “So was that all planned?” He asked, and Nari shook her head. “You just happen to give advice and then the need to use the advice arises moments later?” She nodded again. He laughed. “So if I were to say that there’s this girl-”

 

“You’re too young.” Chanyeol stated, carrying a box out of Min Young’s room.

 

Chen’s jaw dropped. “What? I’m not too young! Kai’s younger than I am! You’re younger than I am!” He shouted, chasing after Chanyeol as he darted back to Min Young’s room.

 

Nari laughed and continued to fold paper over plates as Kai hurried after Baekhyun for his keys. She hardly knew these boys and yet, their company brought comfort to her. She didn’t really understand why, or how for that matter, but they felt like they might just be her family, and not just because she was actually related to one of them.

 

She felt like they could be good friends.

 

Sehun, at that moment, wandered into the kitchen, looking wide eyed and nervous. “Hey,” He said lightly, and Nari smiled kindly. “So, uhm, the others were talking about going out for dinner-”

 

“I can cook!” She said happily. “It’s really no big deal, I’ll just need to run and get a few things from the store.”


Sehun bit his lip. “Are you sure? There’s a lot of us-”

 

“Of course I’m sure! I’m a chef Sehun! This is my forte.” She said happily, placing the plate she’d just wrapped into the box. “I’ll run down now so I can start prepping at the new apartment.”


Sehun nodded slowly and Nari moved to start past him. “Would you…” He started, and Nari stopped, turning to face him. “Would you mind if I came along? I can… carry your bags for you.” He said nervously.




 

Nari walked silently, a smile displayed on her lips, as she walked through the splitting crowds of people. She already knew that this would happen far before they left the apartment. She could hear them all whispering Sehun’s name, and then asking who she was under their breath. He walked just as silently behind her, his hat pulled down and his eyes directed at the ground.

 

Nari turned towards the produce section, and another crowd parted, as if she was Moses and they the red sea. She smiled to herself at this. Maybe she would bring Sehun along when she went to the crowded farmer’s market. She was getting her chores done with ease.

 

She bent forward to grab a few various roots, and Sehun stopped beside her, his hands in his pockets. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have come. We’re getting a lot of attention.”


Nari straightened and laughed, rubbing the back of her neck with her now empty hand. “Yeah uh, I actually am very thankful you came. This is taking less time than I thought it would.” She said happily, continuing to pick through the produce.

 

She didn’t need to glance to the side, though she did, to see that he was smiling. It seemed that he often did when he didn’t think she was looking, and she liked that. She liked that she made him happy. She didn’t think it was often that he was sad anyways, but for her to be a part of that happiness made her herself happy. “Thank you for making us dinner. I don’t know what we’d do when we have to go back to work-”

 

Nari gasped suddenly. “Oh my god, Kai took Rina without bringing her food!”

 

Sehun looked surprised by her sudden outburst. “Maybe he’ll buy her something on the way.”

 

Nari frowned. “Give me your phone.” She demanded, holding out her hand. Without needing to ask again, he slid his phone from his pocket and handed it to her, unlocked. She scrolled through his contacts in search of Kai’s name, and when she found it, she pressed the telephone icon, holding it to her ear.


It rang twice. “I’m on my way back now-”

 

“Oh darn.” Nari sighed.

 

Kai was silent for a moment. “Uhm, who is this?”

 

“Nari, sorry,” She said laughing. “I’m with Sehun at the grocery store and I just thought that Rina doesn’t have any food. Which means she’s going to come home late tonight hungry.” She sighed. “Do you think you could, I don’t know, get something and bring it to her?”

 

Kai was silent again. “I can, but she doesn’t like help-”

 

“Food’s different, she needs food just wait until around five thirty or six, that’s typically when they show up at the restaurant on a normal day.” She said, smiling to herself. “And don’t just give her the food and leave. I know Rina sits by herself if Min Young isn’t with her.”


Kai laughed on the other line. “Of course.”

 

“I’ll talk to you after then,” Nari declared, hanging up the phone and looking to Sehun triumphantly.

 

He smirked. “So what are you, some sort of matchmaker?” She simply shrugged her shoulders and turned, starting towards the butcher.




 

It was nearing six, and Corina’s stomach was growling incredibly loud. She should have eaten before she went back to work, but she hadn’t thought of it until after she’d already walked through the doors and sat down with a group of her students.

 

They were struggling with listing verbs. For some reason they weren’t quite comfortable with the shift from language, and Corina as trying her hardest to make them understand but when she was hungry, she could get quite short. The more they demanded she repeat, the angry she was becoming.

 

Slowly, she stood. “If you girls could excuse me, I will return in an hour.” The girls groaned, but began to disperse from the table they were sitting at, towards one of the other tables. Corina took no more time hurrying towards the door. She planned on hailing a cab and shooting to the closest restaurant.

 

But as she neared the front of the school, she noticed a figure leaning against a planter with his arms crossed over his chest and his eyes directed up at the sky. He wore the same pair of light and tattered jeans he had earlier, with a fitted black and white thin striped shirt. It had longer sleeves that stopped just past his elbows and a scoop neck. His hair had taken a sort of pinkish tint to it in the sun, and Corina’s brow furrowed immediately.

 

He turned as she started towards the gates and stood straight, shoving his hands in his pockets. “What are you doing here?” Corina demanded. She wasn’t in the mood for his flirtation and stupid need to assist her in everything.

 

He shrugged. “I know you hate when I in but…” He pulled a bag off the side of the planter and shoved it towards her. “I got you dinner. I knew you’d be hungry and figure I’d save you the time of having to go and get it by bringing it to you.” Corina arched an eyebrow. “It’s just a dosirak, I hope that’s okay.”

 

Corina pursed her lips. “Yeah. That’s fine I suppose,” She said, opening the bag and looking inside. “And I suppose you’re going to join me?”

 

He bit his lip and nodded. “If that’s alright with you.”

 

Corina said and turned, starting back towards the school. When she realized Kai wasn’t walking beside her, she turned. He was staring down at his feet as if she’d just turned him down, which made her smirk a bit. “Are you coming then?” She asked.