Change

Breaking the Rules

“You can’t just make living plans without me!” Min Young shouted. He held his hands in fists at his side, and his eyes were wide with anger. “What if I didn’t like the apartment? And you signed for me! What kind of animal-”

 

Corina rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest. “Oh Min,” She said lightly. “I thought about the bonus of moving in here before I signed. First,” She said, holding up one finger. “We’ll be closer to where you’re working for the summer, and I won't have to take a cab to work I can take the subway. Second, we’d be living in a better part of town than we were already living in. When possible work pops up, it’ll look better that we live in a better place.” She held up three fingers. “Third, we will be living with Nari. Nari is related to Park Chanyeol, who you love. You also love all his band members, who will come along with him to see his cousin. You,” She said, pointing at the center of Min Young’s chest. “Should be thanking me.”

 

He frowned. “I don’t know if I’ll be thanking you.” He said, turning and opening the door to the room the two had barricaded themselves inside of. They’d asked to use Nari’s room so they could speak privately.


When they emerged from the room, ten sets of eyes fell on them. Nari was in the kitchen. and Corina could hear her humming from where she stood already. Min Young moved towards the door, grabbing his shoes, and looking over his shoulder. “I have to go speak to our building manager. I’ll talk to you when you get home.” He sighed, shoving his feet into his shoes. “You’re the worst wife ever.” He said, moving out of the dorm.

 

When Corina turned back to the group sitting in front of her, she noticed the look of shock on all of their faces. She offered a sheepish smile, taking in each expression. Chen, Sehun and Xiumin were holding back a fit of laughter, Lay and Suho looked utterly unsurprised by Min Young’s outburst, D.O and Baekhyun had both stopped with their chopsticks halfway to their mouths in surprise. Tao and Chanyeol were staring at the door in confusion. But Kai had his chopsticks clutched in his hand and his eyes focused on Corina, his brow furrowed in anger. “He, uh, was joking. Our building thinks we’re married because he always carries my bag for me, and he calls me dear and… it was just easier to say we were and that we weren’t just roommates, you know?”

 

Kai visibly eased, and the others continued to pick at their food.

 

Nari poked her head out of the kitchen and smiled. “I made lunch. Are you hungry?”

 

Corina swallowed and nodded. “Yeah. Thank you,” She said, moving across the room and towards the kitchen. Nari turned and handed her a bowl. “Thanks again,” She said, smiling.

 

“No, thank you,” Nari said, smiling brightly. “I really appreciate everything you did today for me.”

 

Corina made a face. “Don’t worry about it! Like I said, we needed a new place.”

 

Nari winked at her. “Why don’t you go sit down? There’s a spot right next to Kai-”

 

“Funny,” Corina said, leaning against the counter. “I’ll wait for you.”

 

Nari shrugged her shoulders. “Suit yourself.” She said, grabbing her own bowl and chopsticks. “I’m moving my stuff into the apartment tomorrow. How long do you think before you guys are in as well?”

 

Corina followed Nari around the corner towards the table, biting her lip. “Well,” She said lightly. “I think we’ll be moving in some time this coming weekend. Work's been pretty slamming lately.” She placed her bowl down and then sat, Nari sitting beside her.

 

“Where do you work again?” Suho asked, posing with his chin on his hand.

 

Corina pushed her food around in her bowl and sighed. “Seoul Girls’ Academy. I work in the language department.” She frowned. “But I have to stay after school on certain days to teach and tutor for a club and students who pay for my assistance on my own time, or whatever.”

 

Suho laughed. “Alright then.” He said lightly. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

 

Corina made a face and opened to ask him why he’d keep that in mind, but Chanyeol cleared his throat. “Nariko, I will be going with you to your apartment tomorrow. I can’t believe you just bought one without-”
 

“Your consent, I know,” Nari said with a sigh. “It’s close though, Oppa.” She said lightly, and Chanyeol nodded, but he was still obviously irked by the situation.

 

Xiumin stood first. “Well, we hate to leave you again, ladies, but we have a late rehearsal tonight.” He smiled brightly. “Thank you for the food Nari, and thank you for the company Rina.”

 

Both girls smiled. “Of course,” They echoed, and then laughed at each other.

 

All the other boys stood collectively, and Chanyeol walked to hug his cousin before he left. “Be safe,” He said lightly, gripping her shoulder and squeezing it before he started towards the door.

 

Corina stood as well, even though she hadn’t finished. “I’ll take your dishes for you.”

 

“No,” Kai said flatly. “Your food will get cold.”

 

“It’s cold noodle soup, Kai,” Nari said matter of factly and sipped the liquid from her spoon before digging through the bowl with her chopsticks, in search of whatever various solids she’d tossed inside.

 

Kai’s cheeks reddened. “Oh,” He said lightly, taking his brothers’ bowls.

 

Corina hurried to help him, but he turned away and moved into the kitchen. Annoyed, Corina followed. When she rounded the corner of the kitchen, Kai had his back to her, and he had already turned the sink on and his arms were moving, so she figured he was rinsing out the bowls. She walked to his side, biting her lip and working up her courage, and she placed her hand on his arm. “Really Kai, let me take care of it,” She said lightly.

 

Just like he’d done before, his eyes sparked when she said his name, and he stared at her for a moment. He then turned towards her, placed his hands on her shoulders, and pushed her a step back. Without saying a word, he continued to scrub at the bowls.

 

Frowning, Corina crossed her arms over her chest. “Kai,” She said firmly. “What would your fans think if they found out you were doing manual labor?” She asked, reaching and tearing the sponge from his grip. “Besides, you’re washing them all wrong.” She said, using her hip to him out of the way.

 

Kai was silent for a moment. “You’re doing it the exact same way.” He said plainly.

 

Corina nodded. “Yep.” She said , turning to look at him. “You should probably get to rehearsal, or whatever it is you guys are doing.” Kai stared at her for a moment longer, and then turned and started towards the others. “Have a good day!” Corina called after him. He hesitated a moment, and then peeked at her, his eyes just barely visible over his arm as he tugged on his shoes. She smiled sweetly, and he looked away, moving out of the dorm and closing the door behind him.

 

Nari immediately started laughing. “What was all that about?” She asked.

 

Corina shrugged her shoulders. “Chen asked me to be polite. So I am.”





 

It was getting late, and Nari was laying on her bed, staring up at the ceiling with her phone clutched in one hand. She hated this. She hated sitting alone, she hated doing absolutely nothing, and she absolutely hated being helpless.

 

She needed to move into that apartment.

 

And she needed to stop relying on her cousin.

 

It was her second day out of work. The co owners of both restaurants wanted her home so she could rest and recuperate, and she hated that too. Work was her escape. Work was where she could do the one thing she loved most.

 

But here she lay on Baekhyun’s bed, which he’d so happily given to her because she was in need. This hospitality was getting to her. She knew they were being heartfelt, they really didn’t mind helping her, but she minded. She minded being helpless.