TWO

The Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He had been there for her when he wasn’t. He had been her most reliable shelter, her home. She regretted not fulfilling her promise, which brought tears almost every night. Looking into his eyes, she felt as if he had bought her to the moon and back, exploring the galaxies and reaching for the stars before coming back to Earth.

            She stopped in her tracks. Suddenly feeling the familiar cold breeze blowing through her bones, stinging her heart as another winter comes and goes. The same scarf from last winter was wrapped around her neck and so was the winter boots given by Chanyeol. She suddenly missed the cozy little house that Chanyeol had bought for the both of them. He was poor therefore that was what he could only afford at that time. They were happy and that was enough for the both of them. She clenched her fist and bit her lower lip.

            “What’s wrong?” Looking back at her with a concerned face and a sweet voice was a well-dressed young man named Luhan. He was wearing a warm jacket and had a maroon scarf wrapped around his neck. He wore a pair of black gloves to protect his hands from frostbite. On his legs was a pair of high priced leather boots. His silky black hair was combed in a neat way and it shone under the moonlight. His eyes shone like the stars in the sky. They were the ones Miyoung had fallen for in the first place.

            Reaching towards her, he cupped her tiny face in his gloved palm and her hair with the other. Miyoung’s nose and ear has turned slightly red. Luhan pulled her beanie around her tiny head. Her dark brown curly hair flowed freely at shoulder length and they shone a little under the lamplight. Miyoung was dressed in an expensive winter coat which reached towards her thighs. Laced around her legs was a pair of long boots. And on her hands were red leather gloves. They were the warmest things anyone could wear in winter but Miyoung could only feel the cold in her bones.

            “Are you alright?”

            Miyoung nodded hesitantly. What is she doing? What about the promise she made? Chanyeol doesn’t deserve this. Luhan doesn’t deserve this. Nobody deserves this. What had she done? She fought back the overwhelming emotions and forced a fake smile at Luhan. She nodded and assured Luhan that nothing’s wrong. Luhan smiled warmly at her and placed an arm over her waist as they continued walking down the street.

 

~   ~   ~

 

            It had been 6 months since they have met.

It was during a long time after winter ended that Miyoung had decided to come out of the house for some fresh air. She had been cooped up in the house far too long grieving over the absence of Chanyeol when it had only been half of the year. She couldn’t stand the loneliness although he did call once every few days. She knew he’d make time for her if he could. She knew life in the military must be difficult. But still, it wasn’t enough for Miyoung.

            That day, the phone rang for 5 times in an empty house.

            Putting on her casual dress and slipping into a pair of sandals, Miyoung tied up her hair in a simple pony tail. She locked the front door and skipped down the gravel road towards her favourite park. She regretted instantly once she had arrived because it only brought her painful memories of her and her boyfriend. This was their favourite place. A tear threatened to fall. Not wanting to attract attention from by passers, Miyoung quickly turned the other way and walked towards the hustle and bustle of the tiny city.

            It was summer time and the temperature was higher than usual. Most of the people stayed indoors enjoying the air condition while Miyoung headed towards a refreshing shop. The little bell above the door jingled as she pushed it gently open. She greeted the girl at the counter and found herself a cozy seat in a corner of the crowded little shop. She inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly. She actually felt good coming out into open spaces again. She felt suffocating staying in the house, away from people, away from sunlight.

            Just a few minutes after, the sound of bell jingling was heard again and automatically, Miyoung’s head shot up to see who it was. A man, who looked in his mid-20s, dressed in casual jogging attire, walked into the shop, wiping his sweaty face with a handkerchief. His black hair was shiny and glossy from what Miyoung assumed to be his sweat.

            He too, greeted the girl at the counter politely and because he couldn’t find any empty places, the waitress suggested he sit with Miyoung since there’s one empty seat opposite from her. The man thank

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter