FIFTEEN

The Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Come on! Come on!” Jongdae was clapping his hands and ordering the boys around, “Everything has to be done by 12 midnight tonight!” The boys obediently went to their work on the beach. Jongin and Sehun sat by the campfire, tending the fire they just made. Kyungsoo stood at the refreshing stall beside the sea. Baekhyun and Junmyeon helped drew shapes and other lovely things on the sand using a stick they found. While Minseok stood under a coconut tree, holding a large book and pretended to be a preacher.

            Chanyeol came out of a nearby chalet’s washroom wearing a tuxedo and holding a bouquet of fresh roses. He combed his hair to the side, exposing his forehead. He looked dashing in a tux and a pair of shiny black shoes. Even his college friends stared at him in awe. He fumbled at the corner of his shirt and beads of sweat broke off from his forehead. Jongdae came forward and put his hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder.

            “It’s going to be fine,” he smiled broadly, trying to give Chanyeol confidence. “You’re going to do well.”

            “Thanks,” Chanyeol smiled back as Jongdae adjusted his collar and bow tie for him. He leaned in to smell the roses.

            “Are those real?”

            “Of course they’re real!” Chanyeol nearly hit Jongdae with the flowers but restrained himself just in time or else the flowers will be ruined.

            “3…2…1, ACTION!” Director Baekhyun cued and Kyungsoo punched in Miyoung’s phone number on his phone. The others held their breaths as they watched Kyungsoo proceeding with their plan.

            “Hello? Miyoung?” Kyungsoo put on his best acting voice, “You better come quickly. It’s Chanyeol.”

 

~   ~   ~

 

Nearly dropping the phone, Miyoung grabbed her jacket and slipped the phone into her pocket as she bolted out the front door without bothering to lock the gates. Kyungsoo sounded really serious. Not again, thought Miyoung. After finally having Chanyeol back in her life, she could not afford to lose him again. Fighting back the threatening tears, she raced down the cobblestone path and eventually reached the open sea. The beach was dark with only the moonlight shining on it. It was deserted too. She pulled her jacket around her body, shivering from the cold.

            “Chanyeol?” she called out nervously. “Kyungsoo?”

            No answer.

            Suddenly, Kyungsoo came out of nowhere, out of breath.

            “Miyoung! Thank god you’re here,” he said, “Come quick!” He led Miyoung onto the beach.

            As soon as she stepped onto the beach, she felt something was off. But she couldn’t decide if it’s good or bad. She faintly made out the two figures witting around the campfire to be Jongin and Sehun, his college friends. She knew them because they used to hang out whenever Chanyeol brought her to meet his friends. The light from the fire shone on the sand. Miyoung looked down at her feet. Shapes and words were drew and written beautifully onto the sand. She gasped aloud when she saw Chanyeol’s name and her’s written in a love shape with a Cupid’s arrow across it. Right above it were seashells. Lots and lots of seashells arranged

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter