high_peak101 Who's Got the Answer?

(CLOSED) Request Shop~ A Story for Every Passing Day

I hope you like the story; plz tell me what you think :) And I just wanted to say that I wrote this story using "Kookie" instead of Jungkook, as I think that nickmname he has is funny and cute :p  you can somehow keep that in mind as you read- maybe it'll create a more lighthearted atmosphere? lol I hope you stopped having those nightmares :)

Who's Got the Answer?

 

It was early morning, yet one would not be able to tell since the sun scarcely shone through the hoary, dusty, window shades. The classroom lights were dimmed since class had not yet started, which in turn created a dull, if not dark atmosphere. However, at this point in time, it was obvious that the frail heart of a boy named Jungkook was even darker. He woke up with his eyes being blinded from the sun’s strong rays of light, and now his hope was blinded, obscured, and ultimately marred by his parents’ harsh words.

His father sighed deeply; his disappointment was crystal clear, “Son, why did you fail again? Why’d you fail yet another test?”

Jungkook stood there silently, without word, and without pretense.

His mum was frustrated, “Jungkook, why don’t you say something?”

His words were gentle, softly spoken and barely heard, “I’m sorry…

Jungkook’s teacher, Mr. Cold, circled him. He was infamous amongst the student body for being strict, callous, and impatient. Mr. Cold always held a rolled-up magazine in his hand with which he used to “discipline” his rowdy students, and it was with this very instrument that he caused a boisterous noise as soon as he snapped it on his worn, mahogany, desk. And although his parents were shaken by the sudden noise, Jungkook was not unlike Rodin’s The Thinker- still, cold, and pensive. Jungkook was pensive of all the mess, grief, regret, and distress a single letter (F) had wrought.

“Sorry isn’t enough, boy!” chided Mr. Cold. “You got the worst grade in class! You’re not only making your parents look bad, but you’re making me look bad too!”

Jungkook’s eyes didn’t lose sight of the classroom’s heavily trodden, wooden, floor. He hung his head low, and his jet-black locks of hair concealed his watery eyes. His heart was pounding and his brow was sweating; his hands were clenched and his knees were trembling. Even in the midst of all this, his ears stayed open… to insults:

“You’re not deaf?!” mocked Mr. Cold, “Are you???”

“We raised you better than this!” exclaimed his father.

“Are you taking us for granted?!” sighed his mother. “What about your father that labors all the day long to provide? Huh? Or what about me? I cook, clean, and all I do is without pay! All you do is go to school… and fail?!”  She cried.

Their suffocating words saturated Jungkook’s soul. “I’m sorry…” he whimpered.

But his apology was lost somewhere in the midst of more and more of his parents’ and teacher’s merciless cursing- they were just demanding an answer for his failure without caring for his feelings after all…

Jungkook’s heart pounded and pounded against its chamber. His hands were clammy, and now his breathing became desperate gasps for air:

“Let me breathe…” he heaved.

“Huuuuuhhhh? You say somethin’??????!!!” Mr. Cold taunted. “Are you ready to man-up and beg for forgiveness yet? Are you ready to stop failing?”

His father caught sight of his son’s irregular breathing, “Are you okay?”

Yet his mother teased, “Are you, a grown-up boy, crying?!”

Now, those words struck the final chord, “I said, ‘LET ME BREATHE!!!’”

Jungkook quickly bolted out of the classroom and ran through the hallways with no thought of where he would go next.

“Where are you running to, boy?!” shouted his teacher in the distance.

But, Jungkook didn’t care- he didn’t care anymore; he didn’t care about what grown-    ups had to say, and he cared even less of what the faces he passed by looked like. Jungkook just ran and ran without looking back, and he felt relief. Each and every step he took produced a breath of fresh air to him- and that meant he had to run even harder, in order to catch his next breath.

Still, despair was not too far behind: “Where do I go now?!” Jungkook asked himself as he found himself ascending a flight of stairs.

When Jungkook reached the final step a door halted him from any further running.

“What’s this?!” he said in his alarm. Jungkook kicked open the door and the sunlight immediately struck his eyes. He squinted and used his arm for shade. “The roof!” he jovially exclaimed.

His heart pulsed with every next pulse being more intense than the last as his feet brought him closer and closer to the rooftop’s ledge. A cold wind battered against him as he cautiously placed his right foot atop the ledge. He inhaled deeply and when he exhaled, he finally brought his left foot next to his right as he stepped upwards.

“It’s cold…” he whispered as he shivered from the cold air.

His eyes were stayed on the great expanse of heaven and he wondered, he wondered how a sky so beautiful could contain a world so cruel within. And he finally looked down below once the cries and shouts of terror reached his reddened ears.

“Get down!!!” they supplicated.

And Jungkook laughed when he saw the worried complexions of his parents and teacher, who, just a bit ago had brought him into a dark pit of misery and desolation. “I wonder… I wonder how they knew I would come here… When not even I knew where I was going…” he chuckled. “Ahhh, it don’t matter anymore.”

“Don’t do it!!!!” the people screamed down below.

“This world is evil… And just you watch, world! If I can’t stop you, let me just give you a little bruise! I…I wanna fly again, I wanna dream again!” he responded with a loud, proud voice. “I don’t have anything to lose! So, why not let my wings loose and fly?”

It seemed as if the whole world had gathered to witness Jungkook’s final act. All were excited as though it was a scene from a movie.

The students chittered and chattered, all running their lips about without hesitation, “Do you think he’ll jump?” they asked.

The school gates were open whereas at any other normal school day they would now have been shut. The school bell had rung, signaling the start of class, but its chime had been muffled by the cries of the people…

“Get down!!!” Jungkook’s parent’s pleaded. “It’s not worth it.”

The teachers panicked, “What do we do?!” and asked, “Should we call the authorities to handle this situation?”

“I’m alone! Nothing can save me! No one can save me!” Jungkook squalled.

And it was these words that were scarcely heard by Sohwan, Jungkook’s classmate, as she was relieved to find the school gates still open.

“What was that?” she quickly asked herself as she stepped into the campus.

She saw the peoples flocked together a small distance away at the school’s center square as though they were at standstill- completely frozen in place and time.

“What are they doing there?” she asked as she sped up her pace.

Her stride had brought her to the anxious crowd.

“What happened?” she asked a boy. “Am I late for school? Because the gates are still open.”

The boy was mystified by her question, “I don’t think it would matter if you were late…”

“Waddya mean?” Sohwan asked.

The boy pointed upwards, at Jungkook who stood alone atop the roof’s ledge.

Sohwan panicked at the sight of her classmate: she ran to the front of the crowd and tried her hardest to keep looking up, but the sun’s strong light prevented her. As she turned her eyes away from him she found Jungkook’s parents bawling.

She hastened to them and asked, “What happened? Why is Jungkook there?!”
However, they could not listen to her question in the midst of their darkness, much less answer.

Mr. Cold came drenched in sweat and answered with bitter tears, “It’s my fault… I should not have told him so many harsh words.”

“I don’t think that matters anymore…” Sohwan responded in the most comforting, soothing manner. “All that matters now is getting Jungkook down. Then you could convey your words to him…”

Sohwan had always looked at Jungkook and had neither any particularly bad way of thinking of him, nor any special way really; he was just the cute, silent kid that sat at the back of class. Nevertheless, Sohwan felt she had to do something for Jungkook; she could not bear the thought of having a person die knowing she could’ve done something to prevent such a tragedy. Sohwan took in a deep breath and came to the front of the crowd.

She yelled, “Jungkook, it’s me!  It’s Sohwan, come down!”

Jungkook didn’t answer; he was lost in a trance as he kept his eyes heavenward.

She pleaded again, “It’s not worth it! Dying isn’t the answer! Live! If you’re still breathing, then it’s because it’s in your blood; it’s in your very DNA for you to want to live, Stupid!” And clearing her voice, one more time did she cry out, “Today, before you, is death and life! Choose life! Choose life and live!”

Jungkook was numb, no word could reach him at this point… His ears, mind, and very heart were closed off. Jungkook took a final breath and splayed his arms aloft as though they were wings. He shook off all doubts and leapt. He leapt with the eager expectation of finding a friend, one who would embrace him despite his faults…

The peoples cried out in horror and then a penetrating silence was birthed quickly after. Still, despite the chaos of the moment, Sohwan remained steadfast in her conviction and ran without hesitation to the spot where she thought the boy would land. It was a fairly tall building, five stories tall, and this being so allowed Sohwan just enough time to make it.

Sohwan braced herself to receive him, and in the batting of an eye, he fell into her embrace. She collapsed as she caught him- she cushioned his fall and thus saved him from death, but she could, of course, not be able to withstand such great impact. Her vision faded to black as her head hit the solid concrete ground…

Jungkook slowly opened his eyes, and afterwards? Afterwards he could only make out the blasting of sirens and flashing blue and red lights. He was taken to the emergency room and Jungkook’s vision would then, again, be filled with darkness.

When Jungkook opened his eyes again, the sun poked in to say hello through the window shades. He looked around and gasped in surprise as soon he realized he was not home. Instead, he was in a cold, lonely, and off-colored white hospital room with an IV hooked up to his wrist.

“Where am I?” his chapped lips muttered.

Jungkook looked to the side of his hospital-bed and saw his mum and pops asleep, clinging onto the sheets of his bed.

He shook them up. “Mum, why am I here?”

His mother steadily opened her eyes. Her eyes met with his, and she quickly shook up papa from slumber.

“He’s awake!” she cried to papa.

His father shook his head in disbelief, but soon realized the beauty of the current moment, the moment in which he found his boy alive.

“Kookie!” he exclaimed as he wrapped his child up in his arms.

Jungkook Jungkook was bewildered by such reaction, and then his mum made the matter even more confusing as she smothered him in kisses. Yet, he was not at all cumbered, nay; he welcomed their outpouring of love and returned it tenfold.

“Mommy!” he blubbered and, “Daddy!” he whimpered as he clutched his parents tightly.

A knock was heard coming from the door.

“The doc’s gonna be ecstatic to see you awake!” cheered his father.

The room’s door opened and his older brother stepped in, “Kookie!” he exclaimed as he dove into the warmth of his kin.

“Hyung!” Jungkook cried as held firmly onto the back of his older brother’s head.

The small family of four remained just like that- in the embrace of one another did they find solace and happiness. Though such a “menial” hug would have been taken for granted on any given day, today it was a treasure with a worth far exceeding that of all the gold in the world. Nonetheless, Jungkook’s parents told Jungkook they would come back after they called for the doctor, and in the meanwhile his older brother told him of that faithful day one week ago…

“So, I have been out cold for an entire week?” Jungkook asked with eyes full of awe.

“Yes,” his brother responded. “And the girl that saved your life is in the room next to this one…Her parents were even more distraught than our own. They were angry that you tried to take your life and as a result of her saving you, she nearly lost hers.”

Jungkook’s eyes swelled up and, all of a sudden, he remembered the stupidity of that day…He cursed and cursed, but his brother took him in his arms and gently his hair.

“It’s okay.” his brother whispered.

When his lips had shut, Jungkook’s parents came in along with the doctor who was in charge of his health. He was examined thoroughly and was afterwards told he would soon be free to leave the hospital. His whole family cheered for joy, but Jungkook bit his lips as he tried desperately to withhold the fountains of his eyes from gushing out.

“Oh no, I’m all alone again…” he told himself. Jungkook felt as though he was frog wallowing inside the disgusting entrails of a trash can... He felt good for being alive, yet horrible for nearly ending the life of another.

The night fell again and visiting hours ended- his family had to say goodbye, sadly. Jungkook tried his hardest to sleep but ultimately gave up. He flipped through the channels of the small TV that hung on the wall, again and again, but was not at all content with the programming. Jungkook could not stop thinking about Sohwan…

“I gotta go see her.” Jungkook told himself. Jungkook sat up and forced himself to get out of bed.

Not walking for a week or doing anything else besides sleep, really, took its toll on his body. The IV was still connected to his wrist, and so he pressed himself upon it. With his makeshift walking stick in hand, Jungkook quietly snuck out of the room. He stealthily walked and made his way into the room besides him. He opened the door and came in. The lights were dim, and he nearly tripped as he drew near Sohwan’s bed.

He groaned as he saw her in a pitiful state. “You were always so cheerful in class, but now all you can do is sleep because of me.” It was going to be a late night for Jungkook …

He carefully dragged a chair that stood apart from the other two that were in the shadowy room; it was though as it was set apart solely for him to use. He sat and lamented over her current condition. Yet, he could not overcome his bodily instinct to want to sleep: much crying had wearied Jungkook’s mind and body.

Morning came again for Jungkook, and so did the chiding of adults. A nurse was furious to have found Jungkook asleep by Sohwan’s side.

“Get out! Go back to your room!” she scolded.

“No!” Jungkook exclaimed. “She saved my life, and I’m not gonna leave her!”

Yet the nurse’s words were of wisdom, “Please, I know who you are. Listen, her mom always comes first thing in the morning when the visiting hours begin. And, if she finds you, the boy who her daughter risked her life for, she will be furious!”

“I don’t care!” Jungkook insisted. “She’s my only friend! She gave her life for a person like me. The least I can do is stay by her side…”

The tipping and tapping of footsteps were heard just outside the half-opened door. The nurse recognized the distinct footsteps and hurried to hide Jungkook, but he refused.

A woman as beautiful as Sohwan with a pinch of age added to her complexion stepped into the room.

“So you’re the one that my Sohwan almost died for.” she said as she clenched her small hands.

Jungkook could not endure the suffering of seeing the sight of her mother, one who bore the very likeness of Sohwan though aged. 

Jungkook fell before her feet and wept, “I’m sorry Sohwan! I know that won’t wake you, but I’m sorry!”

Sohwan’s mother felt a of compassion in her heart and she knelt to meet the sobbing boy. “It’s okay…” she sighed. “I don’t think you meant to kill her, although you might have meant to kill yourself…”
 

Jungkook cried and cried, all the while pleading forgiveness, “I’m sorry Sohwan! I’m so sorry! Forgive me!”

Her mother brought Jungkook to her bosom and patted his head. “It’s okay. I don’t think Sohwan would like to see you crying… She’s still breathing and that means a lot to me, and it should mean a lot to you too. She’s not dead, and I am thankful to God for that.”

Sohwan’s mother stood up and helped Jungkook get back on his two feet.

“Please take him to his room. I think he needs to rest.” she instructed the nurse.

The nurse consented and held Jungkook up by his shoulder as she walked him to his room. She laid him to rest on his bed and covered him under the comfort of his bed-sheets. She sat by his side afterward, making sure he was okay. And then she left after thinking he had fallen asleep, but it was just a farce he put up; he cried silently and regretted his suicide attempt as he bit his lip until bleeding. However, sleep would eventually conquer him and he would find relief if were not for the nightmares that terrorized him.

And Jungkook would spend his nights by Sohwan’s side and his mornings being walked to his room by the same nurse until the day of his release, a week after his awakening. Jungkook would resume his “regular” life shortly afterwards, even returning to school a week after his release. Despite his expectations of being labeled a psycho and outcast, Jungkook was welcomed with much warmth by the whole school the day he returned; except for a few who sneered and jeered at him. Mr. Cold, who previously had treated Jungkook as though he were a mule, had particularly become fond of him the moment he laid eyes on him.

“Anyone bothers you, you make sure to tell me!” Mr. Cold assured Jungkook as he brought Jungkook’s head to his chest.

“Yeah, I got you!” Jungkook responded with half a smile as pulled himself away from his teacher’s hug.

Jungkook was no longer alone, yet he felt a deep, dark, feeling of solitude lodged in the trenches of his heart. Nonetheless, Jungkook sat at the back of class as usual, and a boy whom he had exchanged a few words with before befriended him.

“You okay, Jungkookie?” his new friend, Suga, asked him as tilted his neck to meet Jungkook’s eyes.

“Yeah, I’m good.” he lied.

But, his new friend wasn’t stupid. He stood up and pulled Jungkook to his chest, sighing, “I think I know how you feel, although I can’t fully expect to know the depths of your pain… Her chair’s been empty and though cliche it might sound, a spot in all our hearts has also been empty since the accident. But, I’m happy you’re here. I used to talk to you only a little before that day, and I won’t take any more chances. You’re my friend now.”

“How’d you know I was staring at that chair?” Jungkook asked as he pulled himself away from his friend’s arms.

“I seen you…” his friend replied.

“What can I do? I feel bad…” Jungkook said under his breath.

“Well, I heard you visited her every day after you awoke… Why not keep doing that?” his friend suggested.

Jungkook kept in his heart the advice of his friend and did so. Every day after school ended, Jungkook came to visit Sohwan until visiting hours were over… for over a year.

“You’re really stupid for trying to kill yourself.” Sohwan’s father sighed as he ran his hand through his gray hair and sank deep into his chair.

“I know. But, Imma keep living now because of her. She was my first friend, and I’m never going to abandon her,” Jungkook told Sohwan’s father.

Sohwan’s mother then colored her daughter’s lips in rouge and remarked, “She looks so beautiful now… After how many months?”

“It’s been over a year…” Jungkook sighed.

“Yeah, she’s really beautiful- even her hair has grown longer. It’s true what they say, that time forgives no one…not even those who are unable to fight back against the flow of time,” Sohwan’s father remarked with a slight smile.

Jungkook clenched his fist with much anger and his nails eventually pierced his flesh.

“What are you doing?!” Sohwan’s father rebuked. “Hurting yourself isn’t going to fix anything! Be content with that slap I gave you the first time we met!”

Jungkook shook his head, “I’m sorry.”

Sohwan’s mother broke into tears as she cried, “This week is her last! Her last seven days with us!”

“What?!” Jungkook immediately shrieked as he stood abruptly from his seat, causing the chair to topple over.

Sohwan’s father picked his chair and patted its seat. “Sit down, boy.”
“I can’t!” Jungkook objected.

“I’m as sad as you are, boy. But, we can’t live like this… Her doctor has told us many times that it’s better to lay her to rest. The bills for her are also reaching the ceiling, but that’s not so much a problem as is seeing her like this.” Sohwan’s father answered as he dug his face into his hands.

“But, she’s alive!” Jungkook protested. “I can feel her heart beat and hear her breathing! You even said it yourself! She’s growing; she’s becoming more and more beautiful! Why would you cut off such a beautiful flower before it fully blooms?!”

Her mother wailed and wailed without end. “Don’t you think we know that?!” she shouted as she pounded Jungkook’s chest.

“No you can’t!” Jungkook heaved. “You can’t take my only one. You can’t take my best friend, my first friend away!”

Jungkook took off and ran home. He shut himself up in his room and went over all that happened in his tender heart…

“I have to do something…” he thought. “She saved me, why can’t I save her?!” he wept. “She was my first friend, the only one who believed in me… She was the only one to open up her arms to me in my darkness. She used to look back at me every now and then… And now, she won’t even be able to see the dawn of a new day because of me…”

Jungkook scoffed at himself and wallowed in the mire of self-hatred and disgust, but remembered all the times she had smiled at him and remembered how she didn’t treat him as others did: she treated him just like any other person.

“I know, I’ll…I’ll…I’ll do something! I’ll go and rescue her before any doctor pulls the plug!” Jungkook valiantly declared.

The night quickly fell and this discouraged Jungkook from taking any action.

Jungkook cringed, but stayed firm in his decision, “I’ll wait until the day before they’re supposed to unplug her…Then I’ll save her!” He reassured himself, “Until then, I’ll… I’ll go over exactly how I’ll do this. I won’t visit her too, since her parents always go there, perhaps they’ll find me out and my plans will go to waste.”

Jungkook bid his time until the day before the appointed day in which Sohwan’s breath would expire. Jungkook had prepared himself and dared not tell anyone of his secret plan. He snuck into her room during visiting hours and hid until the coast was clear, but that’s about as far as he had gone.

Visiting hours had ended for the day and Jungkook remained clueless as to what he could do next. Midnight had passed and so all reasonable thought had passed over Jungkook’s mind as well…

“What now?” Jungkook asked himself as his gaze stayed fixed on slumbering Sohwan.

Jungkook could not take his eyes off his first friend, and he could not fathom the thought of losing her.

“She looks so beautiful; why would her parents want to let her die?” Jungkook asked as he bit his lip. Jungkook shook his head and let all anger flow away.

He stayed seated by her side, laying his head by her feet, and rested a while. He had come before a giant block, what would he do next?

“I’ll just sleep for a bit…” he yawned. His eyes somehow met the hand of the clock, which read “3:13 a.m.” “How, about that? Dawn is quickly approaching?” he drowsily spoke. Jungkook close his eyes and for the longest time in a while, slept a good sleep.

However, morning came and Jungkook was startled; he was roused from sleep as Sohwan’s father shook him up.

“What are you doing here, kid?” Sohwan’s father asked.

Jungkook was astonished, “Oh no, did I fall asleep here?!” he exclaimed.

Sohwan’s mother stood beside her husband and followed, “You fell asleep here? Did you sneak in here since yesterday? Visitation hours just started and we came to see her; it’s impossible for you to have come here first...”

Jungkook’s mind was in shock; he was in anguish as to what to do next. Jungkook bit his lips and swallowed any matter of common sense; Jungkook struck Sohwan’s father and made his way for Sohwan. Jungkook seized her, brusquely detaching all sorts of cables that were attached to her, and ran off. He found himself in a situation closely resembling that of a year ago…

Jungkook didn’t care- he didn’t care anymore; he didn’t care about what grown-ups had to say, and he cared even less of what the faces he passed by looked like. Jungkook simply wanted for Sohwan to live. He ran and ran without looking back, and he felt relief. Each and every step he took produced a breath of fresh air to him- and that meant he had to run even harder, in order to catch his next breath.

Still, despair was not too far behind: “Where do I go now?!” Jungkook asked himself as he found himself ascending a flight of stairs.

When Jungkook reached the final step, a door halted him from any further running.

“What’s this?!” he said in his alarm. Jungkook kicked open the door and the sunlight immediately struck his eyes. “The roof!” he jovially exclaimed. “Sohwan, look! It’s the sun!” Jungkook cried as he held Sohwan tightly in his arms.

Sohwan didn’t answer, she was still asleep… The only sound that came from her was the beating of her heart. And that came as a soothing song, like a lullaby that is sung to babes, to Jungkook. He felt respite in her beating heart and hoped she would wake up.

 He fell to his knees with Sohwan in his arms and cried, “God, save her. Please… I’m not asking for world peace, but please save her…” Snot mingled with his bitter tears as they dripped upon Sohwan’s tender lips. “She gave her life for me, why can’t I give it for her?!” he desperately cried as he laid Sohwan down, upon the concrete of the hospital roof. He pounded his fists until bleeding and afterwards caressed his friend’s face, worrying that this might be the last time he would see her.

A host of security guards and doctors, as well as Sohwan’s parents, came and circled Jungkook.

“I’m not letting her go!” Jungkook heroically exclaimed. “You’ll have to pry my dead, cold, hands off her before you kill her!” he bitterly cried.

An aged doctor laughed at Jungkook’s heroics, “You already unplugged the girl, stupid!”

“What?!” Jungkook squealed as he remembered his folly.

Sohwan’s father shook his head, “She would’ve been dead a week ago, but that’s not the case today.”

Jungkook was tossed into the waves of confusion and uncertainty as he considered the words of Sohwan’s father.

The aged doctor signaled for all the company who had come with him to leave, while he alone stayed with Sohwan’s parents as they approached Jungkook and sleeping Sohwan.

Her mother sighed, “She’s alive; there’s no reason to cry any longer, boy.”

“What?!” Jungkook squealed.

The doctor knelt besides Jungkook and whispered into his reddened ears, “She awoke a long time ago…Around a week ago I believe.”

Jungkook tilted his head and met with Sohwan’s mother.

“She miraculously woke up the night after you ran off…a week ago today.” her mother affirmed.

“But…But, she’s still asleep!” Jungkook protested.

Her father sighed deeply. “She has always been a deep sleeper… It takes a lot to wake her up in the mornings. When she used to go to school it took over 20 alarm clocks to make her budge.”

Jungkook’s eyes were filled with light and his heart with hope. “So, she’s just asleep?”

“Yup!” the old doctor chuckled as he struggled to get back on his two feet. “You should get those fists of yours checked out though…” he remarked.

Jungkook shook and shook Sohwan, but no dice; he tugged her cheek and pulled her hair, but no dice. With a final ace up his sleeve, Jungkook ran his finger upon her lip and finally gave her a small, very small, peck on her forehead.

Sohwan abruptly sat up and questioned where she was.

Jungkook shed tears of joy and gratitude as he brought Sohwan’s head to his chest. “You’re alive, friend…” wept Jungkook as his tears fell upon Sohwan’s face.

Sohwan caressed Jungkook’s cheek and comforted him, “It’s okay now… Everything’s all right…”

Jungkook noticed Sohwan’s eyes were struck by the morning sun as he laid her head on his knees. She was squinting, trying her best to keep her eyes on Jungkook’s. He placed his hand over her eyes, and the shade caused by it allowed her to take the look at Jungkook she wanted.

Jungkook had retrieved a sense of peace long lost as he stayed his watery eyes on her.

“What’s wrong?” she asked as she gently smiled

“Why did you save me?” Jungkook said under his breath. “You didn’t even know who I was; we were just acquaintances, maybe even strangers to each other.”

“What are you talking about?” Sohwan giggled. “Haven’t you heard? That a stranger is just a friend you haven’t met.”
Jungkook was taken aback by her simple answer, “What?”
Nevertheless Sohwan continued “And haven’t you heard? That greater love has no one than this: that one lay down his life for his friend.”

“You knew you had the chance of dying?” Jungkook quickly asked.

“Maybe… I’m not sure. All I know is that death is always looming around, by the corner…” Sohwan replied.

The aged doctor approached Jungkook with quiet steps and suggested he take Sohwan back to her room. Jungkook nodded in agreement and was about to reach for Sohwan, but her father came and took Sohwan in his arms.  

“You should let me take care of my daughter now.” her father answered with a toothy grin.

Jungkook was following after Sohwan and her parents, but was halted yet again by the doctor, “You need to get your hand treated first before anything, boy.”

Jungkook grunted in displeasure; he wanted to be next to Sohwan’s side, and not be separated again. But, he knew the old doctor had a point and so he surrendered to his request. He had his wounded fists treated and quickly ran to Sohwan’s room, after which he sat by her side all the day long.

“I had some pretty bad nightmares after I found out you were placed in a comatose state because of me… It’s like they were the memoirs of my guilt.” Jungkook remarked as he leaned back in his chair, stretching his arms outwards.

“Really?” Sowhan teased. “Maybe they were, but I’m here now; let those ugly feelings flee away.”