RosyPanda000 - You and I, Under the Starlight

(CLOSED) Request Shop~ A Story for Every Passing Day

Enjoy! This was fun to write!


You and I Under the Starlight

            Dusk had arrived and the stars were steadily peeking through the veil of the expanse. I should be studying for my next test, but instead I’m right next to the girl I love. Maybe in a way… This is some sort of test; a test for her though and not me… A test to examine whether or not she will choose the correct answer this time…

The nearby lamppost began to flicker a yellow-tinged light, but finally prevailed after several minutes. It exposed the rust upon the swing-sets. It also revealed the tears that flooded her round eyes.

“You okay?” I asked, “I’m sorry I can’t do much to help.”

She snuffed up her mucus, and sobbed. “Yeah, being next to stupid me is enough…” She then looked up at me, saying, “Thank you JR for being with me. I only wish I would’ve listened to you sooner.”

“Yeah, you should’ve… But, it’s too late now. Any regrets?”
“You kidding, right?”

“Yeah, I just felt like poking your scab a little,” I joked.

“Wow, JR… But, I guess I deserve it. JR, why do I always fall for the wrong guy?”

I took a deep sigh, “If only I could answer you ______. I do know, however, which guy is right for you.”

She wiped away the lone bead that trickled down her soft face. Her face had no friction; I saw the tear swiftly run down and her fingertip had somehow caught it. Then she looked at me with a delicate look, one that could easily be tarnished by the evil of this world. It shook me: mind, body, and soul. I so desperately wanted to give her a nudge, telling her my heart. But, is that what I wanted? No, I wanted her to come to me… Sighs…

“What kind?” she asked as she sniffed cutely.

She was like a child, earnestly wanting to know more. Her gaze was pure, and that hurt me a lot. I didn’t want to tell her of my affliction, of how I loved her endlessly.

But, I continued, “Well, a guy who is close to you, never far. One that isn’t across a sea or over a mountain. One that is a gentleman, never wanting to press himself upon you. One that you can call friend, yet lover.”

She wanted to know more, “That sounds more like a dream. I don’t think such a guy exists.”

I began laughing! Did I just flatter myself?

“Why are you laughing JR?” she cutely questioned as she sniffed.

Then I saw her cheek bones rise as they tend to do whenever she smiles. She could no longer hide it, she was happy. I made her happy and that made me happy.

“Wow, my laugh is pretty contagious isn’t it?” I remarked
“It’s special. You’re eyes are crystal clear, like a glassy bead. And the way they become small whenever you smile widely or laugh is cute.” she replied.
My cheeks became warm and soon enough a deep heat came from them. I was embarrassed. To hear a compliment like that from the person I loved? I could not hold my joy.

“You’re blushing, JR! I didn’t think you were that shy. I always thought of you as like a kindhearted Superman or something, always being there for me… Whenever I needed you…”

I saw her face become blank. The face whose play I could always read: it became a mystery to me all of a sudden. Did she finally realize? She must’ve! But I had to let her find out for herself.

“Say, you remember the first time I told you… How he was being unfaithful to you?”

“WHAT?!” she shot back.

“I was standing just across from here, where that big tree is,” I said as I pointed just south of where we were. I continued, “I remember it clearly. I hid myself behind that tree, and my hands became sticky because of its sap. Its bark was crumbling apart too, as soon as I touched it I mean. I had always been suspicious of him, and that day would prove me right. He and that chick were sitting right where we are tonight, here in these swings. I saw her: letting herself be held by him. He placed his hand at the nape of her neck and tilted her head back as their lips clasped onto each other…” I looked up and continued, “It was also a starry night, just like it is tonight…”

Her nose began to flare, and I think this was natural.  Her eyes seemed to swell up again as well.

“You didn’t have to tell me again, stupid!” she cried as she pounded her small fist on my shoulder.

 I’m sure she hit me with all her rage and all her strength, but to me it was nothing. They were like feint hits, like that of a toddler. And most important, it was nothing compared to the pain I had endured… whenever I saw her in his arms and kissing his cheek. And her anger was in no way as great as mines when I saw him betraying the girl I loved.

“Well, I confronted him. I gave him a piece of my mind and I give him a taste of my fist!”

“What?” she asked.

“Yeah, he pissed me off so much; I just had to let it go. And I have to tell you that the only thing that angered me even more was not his continuous infidelity, but your disbelief. You chose to believe his lies, while you refused my truth.”

“I’m sorry.” she whispered.

“Ahh, if only your ‘I’m sorry’ could make things better. I don’t care what I go through. Well, at least not as much as I care about you. Your face seems darker than usual.”
“Really?” she asked. “I haven’t gone out in the sun much…”

“I know, but it’s like you’re sick or something. You gotta stop thinking about him. It’ll only make you sicker. You also look like you lost some weight. Seeing you in this condition is hard to swallow. You have to stop remembering him. Forget him! He can’t help you; he can’t make you laugh or smile!” I insisted.

“But I was with him for a whole year. Forgetting that whole year is hard, you know,” she moaned.
I sighed, “I don’t care how hard it is. Just do it! I’m here to help; why don’t you lean on me? I don’t want to replace those memories, but I want to erase them altogether! The memories we could make will make you completely forget him, as if he was never there!”

“Really, JR? You would take me?” she asked with a glimmer of hope shining in her round eyes.

I knew I had to do it: I stood up abruptly and held her hand. A strong wind then blew against her, but I shielded her with my back. Still, it left her hair messy, and I think it looked cute.

“Give me a chance! Gimme your heart! I can make you happy. I promise that I’ll ty my best to make you laugh and smile as many as the times you sighed, groaned, and cried because of him. It’s so frustrating to be the third person! Make me your man! Forget him, and tell me that you want me, that you need me! Baby, please!”

She hesitated, “But…”

I then clutched her very heart as our lips met, silencing her.