iCiere- A Green Heart

(CLOSED) Request Shop~ A Story for Every Passing Day

Hi, I'm so sorry for taking too long. This was the first time I ever did a story in this genere, so I really wanted to take my time with it and do my best....And schoolwork didn't help at all lol. Anyways, I hope you enjoy and please tell me what you think :)


 

 

A Green Heart

 

The air was humid and the pasture a lush green with heaven’s dew still fresh upon every single blade of grass. It was a new morning, and it was even a new morning for a young girl named Lee Bi An. Though it was hard to breathe, Bi An welcomed every gasp of air as a miracle… She had contracted a certain heart disease and she was desperately looking for a cure. She was all alone, with no one to look for help, and so she decided to look for help herself. Her mother had told her of a mystical forest wherein if one were to eat of its magical fruit, then that one person would be cured of all their ailments.

“I know it’s gotta be around here,” she grunted as she walked down a heavily trodden dirt road that ran down the green meadow, “somewhere…”

Bi An looked to the left and to the right, and even upwards, towards the clouds held in the curtain of a blue heaven.

“Now, let’s see, if I am able to find that forest by noon, then,” she sighed, “Be back home tomorrow?”

She was tired; Bi An had traveled for hours- hours of bus travel and walking for her that had come from the city- in search of the illustrious homeland of wonders, the Forest of Echoes. Nevertheless, Bi An knew her life was at stake, so she kept walking despite her soles having been swelled up at this point.

She whined, “Why can’t this stupid forest have a WELCOME sign or something?”

She looked up once again and cursed her disease. Her heart kept its beat, but she felt a little dead inside. All she could do was groan on account of her sickness. Her sighing sowed seeds of sadness into her wearied soul, and that manifested upon her comely face as her tender cheeks sagged with a frown fitted between them. She moaned and was bowing her head to meet the dust of the earth, when a strong gust of wind blew a lone leaf across the sky. She quickly took glimpse of it as she became filled with a droplet of hope.

“Was that a sign?!” she desperately questioned.

Bi An braced herself and rushed to see where the leaf would land. She ran as quickly as she could, and stopped when the leaf had fallen atop a giant oak tree.  The tree had its many branches spread aloft as though it was a king sitting comfortably with his arms upon the armrests as he sank deep into his throne. It stood looming far above as the eye could see, with its silhouette providing shade for the many critters that inhabited it. Bunnies, squirrels, and an infinite amount of butterflies frolicked round the protruding roots of the tree. They seemed to have been bidding “hello” to the young city girl…

Bi An was perplexed as to what to do. “HI?” she nervously said with one hand waving hello and the other reaching deep inside the pocket of her pants. She took a step to the side, “What am I doing?” she asked herself. She sped up her pace and continued her way, “Did I really just think those animals were greeting me?”

When she had walked just a couple of yards a bird came tweeting loudly, as if preventing her from going forward. Bi An paid it no mind and went her way. A few more steps and Bi An noticed she was right where she started; Bi An stood again in front of the giant tree. She shivered in fear, in fear that she had gotten herself lost…

“Nobody will find my body if I die here!” she gasped.

And she felt a tugging at her pants. Bi An looked down and her eyes met with the beady eyes of an old raccoon.

Bi An shrieked and fell to her tush, “Get away from me!” she screamed. “I don’t want rabies!”

The raccoon shrugged its tiny shoulders as it stood upright, “Fine then, human. Don’t accept my help…”

Bi An was dumbfounded. “Uhm wait!” she pleaded as she saw the raccoon begin to walk away. “I think I’m lost… How do I reach the Forest of Echoes?” she asked.

The raccoon turned around and grinned, fully displaying its sharp row of teeth. “Woman, you have already found it.”

“What, I don’t get what you mean?” Bi An asked. “All I see is this big tree…”

“Woman, this tree you speak of is the Welcoming Tree; it’s the entrance to the magical forest you seek. It is also known as the Unseen Forest for a reason; You can’t see it until you have entered it.”

Bi An steadily got back on her two feet and shook the dirt off her pants. She stepped forward and stood toe to toe with the Welcoming Tree. An uneasy smile crept up her face. “I must really be crazy to believe a talking raccoon,” she thought as she began to knock on the mossy bark of the tree.

Bi An breathed in deeply.

‘Hello Mr. Tree,” she nervously muttered. But, she promptly realized the silliness of talking to a tree, “Oh who am I kidding?” she laughed, “A talking tree? How could a tree answer me?!”

But a deep, bellowing, voice responded, “Yes, girl, I do speak. Now, what is it that you want?”

Bi An stuttered in fear, “I’m so sorry Mr. Tree. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.”

“It is fine little child. Now, tell me what you seek.” the voice answered back.

Bi An came closer, placing her hands upon the moss-filled bark of the tree. Crying, she answered, “I’m dying. My heart hurts, you see…” she sniffled, “And I came to find the Forest of Echoes because I heard I could a find a cure there.”

The voice gently answered, “Child, you have found it. I am but the entrance to the Forest of Echoes. If you will close your eyes as you tear a piece of my bark off then you will enter the forest. However, I cannot guarantee your safety…”

Bi An joyfully replied, “Thank you Mr. Tree! Now I’ll finally be able to live without torture again!”

Bi An shut her eyes, placing her in the midst of darkness, and she gruffly tore off a piece of the aged oak tree off. The tree split in two and a bright light enveloped her as it pulled her in.

“Can I open my eyes now?” Bi An whispered as she wondered whether she had made it or not.

Bi An steadily raised her eyelids.

She gasped as she stood in awe.

She found herself in the midst of a glorious forest with its foliage colored an emerald green. Its trees were innumerable, and they reached the very sky itself, yet the light still managed to pierce through their thick, verdant, branches…

“Wow,” Bi An gasped, “I’ve never been in a forest, but I think this looks different!”

Bi An was taken aback as she felt a sudden peace come and permeate every inch of her being, and how the air around the trees was “different”. However, she quickly disregarded the marvel she had witnessed and walked down the forest, looking for any sort of vegetation or fruit that might look “magical”.

“An apple, or something, c’mon,” she told herself as her eyes scoured the ground, “or even a mushroom.”

Bi An continued her search in diligence, eventually getting down on her knees to search. She was sweating and the sweat drizzled down her eyes as a fear of having fallen for a lie drizzled down her heart. Her hands dug through the very soil, but found nothing special, only more dirt.

She wiped the sweat off her brow with her dirtied hand, “I have to keep looking. It’s do or die!” she told herself.

Bi An got up after a having spent a few more minutes rummaging through the soil. She walked and walked, until she heard the rustling of branches coming from behind her.

She gasped as she turned to look behind her, “What was that?” She looked and looked, but found no culprit. “It must’ve been a squirrel or something,” she asserted.

She continued her way until she stumbled upon a small patch of star-shaped plants.

“I know this looks magical!”

Bi An extended her hand to pluck one of these star-shaped plants, but was abruptly stopped from doing so after the hand of a person pulled her hand back.

Bi An fell into a state of shock; her heart yelled in panic as it thumped without ceasing, but her lips were held- she could scream all she wanted, but she had lost her voice…

“What are you doing here?” questioned the one who held onto her hand.

“AAAphhhhthjjdnosnca,” she stuttered.

Bi An guessed it was a male, perhaps in his youth, but she was not totally certain of that.

“Ohhhhh, do I die today?” she thought.

“What? No, at least I hope you don't.” her captor softly replied.

“Oh no… He can read my mind?”

 “Please, don’t be afraid!” the gentle voice, indeed, that of a lad in his youth, spoke from behind Bi An’s shoulder.

Bi An tightly shut her eyes and bit her lip as she turned to see who it was who captured her. And then their eyes met.

The young maiden’s eyes met with the eyes of a youth- A youth dressed in garments sewn together from leaves with round eyes that ended sharply at its corners, adorned with a smile that pacified the scare that Bi An had been hurled into, whose lips were plump with a color reminiscent of ripe cherries, and whose complexion was like cream.

She gasped, “Oh, you’re human! I’m so thankful; I thought you would be a gnome or a troll!”

The youth laughed as he stood up, “Well, you’re not totally wrong…” He put his hand on his chin, “I’m a warrior faery.”

Bi An scoffed, “What?”

“My name’s Lee Sungjong, the mightiest warrior faery!” he answered with a proud smile.

Bi An arose and shook the dust off her pants and afterwards gawked at Sungjong who had his eyes stayed on her. She mused, “Why does my chest feel a bit tight after looking at him…”

Sungjong scratched his cheek, “I’m not sure how to answer that, but I think I know the reason why…But I ain’t telling.”

“What?” she questioned, “Did you really just read my mind? That’s cool!”

“You know, this is called the Forest of Echoes for a reason,” he chuckled. “While in this forest, those who share a similar heart are able to hear each other’s thoughts, whether good or bad. It just so happens that you have a heart like mines… but that doesn’t make sense...I thought I was the only one of my kind…”

Bi An was unsure how to reply, but her thoughts spoke for her, “Are you an angel? An angel that fell from heaven?”

He wittily answered with a slight chuckle, “No of course not! If I were a fallen angel… Well, then that would make evil. Fallen angels are ‘fallen’ for a reason.”

Bi An was flustered as her very ears exuded a warmth. She was embarrassed by how he had read her thoughts. She stepped back and fell to her tush.

Sungjong stepped closer to Bi An and helped her back up. “Are you okay? Are you an ‘Alice’?”

“What?” she softly answered, “What’s an ‘Alice’?”

The lad walked around her, eyeing every part of her, “I mean, did you just somehow wander in here? I’ve heard story of humans somehow making their way into forbidden realms…”

“Forbidden realms?” she asked, “Am I not on Earth?”

He gently laughed, “No, of course not… I mean kinda…Ugh, it’s complicated. But, I guess that settles what I had originally thought.” His eyes once tender, now became a sharp look, “You’re a stranger, a human nonetheless, and intruder to this forest and that means I have to get you out before the others slay you.”

Bi An was hurled into more confusion, “What?” she squealed.

He stepped forwards, putting himself directly in her path. “We need to get you out of here.”

Bi An scratched her head with her dirt-filled fingers, asking herself, “I wonder if this kid is too looking for a cure here… He sounds kinda loony”

Sungjong’s eyes conveyed a heavy weight that hung upon his heart; he stared deep into her gaze. “I need to get you out of here before the rest of my brethren, the fairies of the forest, slay you for stepping into forbidden grounds.”

Bi An’s cheeks became hot. She could no longer bear to look at him. She quickly bowed her head to meet the dust of the earth.

“I’m sorry, did you say something?” she stuttered.

Sungjong clasped firmly onto her hand. He pleaded, “Please, follow me!”

Bi An was unsure of how to answer such a sudden request.

He pleaded once more, “Come with me! I need to get you out of the forest!”

His hands were clammy and Bi An remained clueless as to what was happening.

“You’re a fairy?” she said under her breath, “But you don’t have wings…”

“I’ve been told I’m special…”

She released his hand from off hers, “Ok then, can you at least explain everything you just told me?”

Sungjong scoffed, “Ahhhh, I think this is why the fairies of the forest have a deep hatred for humans…”

“What?” Bi An protested, “You’re human too!”

Sungjong’s cheekbones rose as he answered with a satirical, “No, you’re human; I’m a warrior faery. I told you so already. The elders of the faerie tribe took me in as their own when they found me abandoned, here, in the forest as a young babe.”

Bi An looked down on Sungjong as she laughed in secret, “I’m sure of it now; this kid needs a miracle cure more than me. He’s cuckoo!”

“I can hear that!”

“Oh yeah I forgot…” she whispered. “But, how come I can’t hear your thoughts.”

“That’s simple! I simply keep my mind from wandering or daydreaming. I only think what I need to think, and I now think that you just have zero talent for any sort of mind reading.” he remarked.

Bi An ignored his sly comment and began to slowly walk away, but she was quickly halted by Sungjong after only a few steps.

“Wait!” he pleaded, “What’s this I heard, of you needing a miracle cure?”

Bi An grasped his hand and came to an inch’s distance from his lips, frantically supplicating, “You can help me right? I have a heart sickness, and I’m afraid of dying. Please help me! I came here because I heard there was a fruit that grew here that could heal me.”

Sungjong was taken aback by her sudden proximity; he stepped backwards and stumbled upon the root of a tree that ran above the dirt.

“What’s wrong?” she asked as she stepped closer to him. “You can help me, right?”

“Uhm, nothing, nothing’s wrong” he replied as he arose from the shame of having fallen onto the dirt. “I think we could look for the cure you’re looking for, but we have to be quick about it.”

Bi An was excited, “Yes, Imma finally be cured!” she shouted as she leapt with her arms thrown upwards.

Sungjong was perplexed as to what to do next. He couldn’t navigate through the forests with a girl by his side. He knew far too well that she would be a burden to him, so he did the most logical thing…

Sungjong took a glowing substance from his back pocket and clenched it as he extended his hand for Bi An to receive this gift. “Bi An, give me your hand- I want to give you something cool, something you’ll probably not see where you came from…” he said with a nervous look.

Bi An saw the look in his eyes, and for a moment she hesitated, but she reached for his hand. Sungjong opened his hand, and in his palm a small heap of bright, golden colored, powder was revealed.

“Oooh, what is that?” Bi An asked with upraised brows, “Can that cure me?”

He smiled gently, “No, but it’ll give you rest…”

Bi An drew closer to look at the powder, “Give me rest?” she asked. “Wait is this-“

Sungjong interrupted, “Yes, it’s fairy dust!” He blew the powder into Bi An’s face and she immediately grew faint. She was on the verge of falling, but Sungjong caught her in his arms. “I’m sorry…” he whispered into her ears.

He quickly tore off some overhanging vines from the nearest tree and used it to tie Bi An onto his back.  Bi An had fallen asleep and Sungjong was now free to go through the forest as he was accustomed to, with complete freedom. He rushed to scale the tallest tree in sight and he whistled once he stood at the top.

“No response! Good!” Sungjong jovially exclaimed. “Now, I know that I at least have some time before my fairy brethren and sprites of the forest return from their daily work.”

Sungjong then reached inside his pocket and took out a carved flute. He played a simple tune, after which a strong gust of wind carrying flower petals blew past him. The wind came again and became calm as it stopped directly in front him. The petals stayed swirling in circles in the midst of the gentle wind, and their fragrance brought a smile upon Sungjong’s face. Sungjong dove into the wind and he magically hovered in place. The wind had kept him uplifted and now, though wingless, Sungjong was able to soar; he soared, high above all the trees of the forest.

“Hmmm, maybe this girl has never flown before?” he asked himself as he stopped and hovered over the woods. He scratched his head, “Ahh, okay I’ll do it.” He pulled on Bi An’s arm that rested on his shoulder, “Wake up,” he said, “Wake up, Bi An.”

Bi An lethargically responded with eyes half-opened, “What? Am I cured yet?”

“No… But, look!”

Bi An rubbed her eyes. She took a better look at her surroundings, how the sky enveloped her and Sungjong; how they were far above all the leafy trees of the forest.

 “I died didn’t I?” she sighed, “I knew it. You are an angel and you’re taking me to Heaven after having died of heart failure.”

Sungjong laughed, and shrewdly mocked the girl, “Yes, it is as you say! Ms. I am deserving of heaven.”

“Are you making fun of me?” she scoffed, “Oh, now that does it!” Bi An tugged on Sungjong’s soft cheeks, “Stupid kid!”

“Oww, stop it!” he laughed.

“Tsk Tsk Tsk, boy, whether fairy or angel or alien as far as I care, now you know never to mess with a woman!” she chortled as she tugged on his cheek one final time.

Sungjong caressed his now scarlet cheeks, “Sheesh, I was just trying to show you how it is to fly. You have no sense for… romance whatsoever.”
“Romance?” she asked, “What’s that? I don’t need something gushy like that in my life. I’m far too busy to worry about anyone else but me.”

“Hmmmph, I guess that’s because you haven’t met cupid yet?”

“What?!” she squealed, “Cupid’s real?!”

“No, of course not,” Sungjong snickered, “Only faeries, trolls, unicorns, and nymphs are real. ‘Sides, a baby flying in the skies, shooting arrows at people nonetheless, is creepy.”

Bi An sighed and questioned if such a mischievous boy, supposed warrior faery, would be able to help her at all. Sungjong heard her unspoken words in his heart and felt hurt, hurt at how he had failed to gain the trust of one who shared a similar heart. His smile faded and the lines of his head became tense as he thought of how he could make things better for her…

“Hold on,” he said, “Bi An, I am unsure whether the supposed miracle fruit you were hoping to find is here; I’ve never heard of any such thing. The thing that came closest to it was that star shaped plant you were about to pluck. I’ve heard of trolls eating them and smoking them, and afterwards falling into a temporary state of bliss…But, I don’t think that’s what you’re looking for… ”

Bi An’s soul became downcast, “You mean I played the fool and fell for a silly fairy tale? But, but…”

“But, I think I know a place where you might get healed.” Sungjong reassured her as he felt a smile make its way between his two cheeks again.

Bi An was ecstatic as she realized how there still was hope, “I’ll take your word for it! I have to, because I’ll die otherwise.”

Sungjong nodded his head in agreement, and Bi An spanked him as she cheerfully yelled, “C’mon horsey!”

Sungjong played along as he neighed and rocketed forward in flight, heading towards the center of the forest.

“Pfft. Pft” Bi An spat the hair out of . “Where…pft… are we going?”

 “Towards the very heart of the forest. You’ll know what it is when we get there,” he answered.

Bi An could hardly see anything, with her long strands of hair constantly blowing across her face, but she managed to see what Sunjong referred to as the heart of the forest once they came close in proximity to a lake that fit snuggly in the midst of the woods. It was hidden from the sun’s light as though it was a precious secret, but, she squinted her eyes and managed to catch a glimpse of the waters.

“Is that it?” Bi An asked as she pointed towards the waters of the lake.

“Yes,” Sungjong answered as he began to descend.

The eyes of the girl grew wide as she admired the crystal-clear beauty of the waters. The waters were like the very heavens itself, it color was azure- an even more precious hue of blue than the sapphire stone. When Sungjong finished his descent, Bi An tore the vine that held her tied to Sungjong and jumped off his back, immediately running to dive into the lake. Sungjong laughed at her cute, childish, ways. Just a small while ago Bi An was found in the tempest of depression, yet, after a small flight, she now delighted herself in the calm waters of joy.

“This is the Lake of Life,“ Sungjong said as he walked towards Bi An who splashed and splashed in the waters.

“Come on in!” she exclaimed as she splashed water in Sungjong’s direction.

Sungjong shook his head, and came by, taking a seat by the shore. “The waters here are special. They purify and ultimately heal any form of life that comes into contact with them. The lake also supplies the forest with life as its underwater streams flow all across the Forest of Echoes.”

“Really? So then that means I’m healed?!” Bi An asked as she swam in the waters, blowing bubbles and plashing the waters every now and then.

Sungjong glanced at Bi An frolicking in the waters, and he tilted his head slightly, “It should…But, you didn’t really explain your supposed heart disease to me. Care to elaborate?”

Bi An abruptly stopped and became pensive. She then swam towards Sungjong, finally taking a seat beside him after reaching the shore.

She tittered and afterwards took a deep breath. “I caught it from a boy… His name isn’t important… But, it’s all his fault.”

“Waddya’ mean?” Sungjong tenderly asked.

‘Well,” she coughed, “You see, it all began when I was coming back home after shopping at the supermarket. And I had a big bag full of apples and orange, stupid things had to been on discount that day, and well, it began raining all of sudden,” she pulled her hair out of the way, moving it behind her ear, “It’s summer, you know? There’s a bunch of sudden rainfalls like that- downpours I think you call ‘em- that happen during this time… And I slipped, like a person trying to dance on ice without skates, I slipped. And then…,” she blew the small strands of hair that came down her forehead. She opened her lips once more, but before she spoke Sungjong interrupted.

“And then this boy came and helped you back up, right? And he also did the favor of gathering the scattered fruits for you right?” Sungjong intermitted with a hint of disinterest.

“Yeah, how’d you know?”

“Oh wait, I forgot!” Sungjong continued, “Just as he finished returning the fruit, his hand briefly touched your hand, right?”

“Yeah, that’s how-“

Sungjong once more butted in, “That’s how you caught the heart disease! And now every time you think of that guy your heart starts beating like crazy, right? It burns with pain!”
“Hey!” Bi An folded her arms across her chest, “Did you read my mind? That’s not fair, you know.”
“If only you could read mines and see how lonely I am here without someone to match me.” Sungjong mused as his head sunk between his shoulders.

“Hmm, you say something?” Bi An casually asked as she laid herself upon the wet ground.

“No,” he responded. Sungjong joined her, and he laid himself besides her. His eyes were glued to a small opening between the trees above, fixated on the small strip of sky that managed to stay visible. Sungjong contemplated over his distress as he began to slowly fall asleep, “It’s pretty sad to know that you’re the only one of your kind here in this forest. Though magical it may be, it doesn’t help at all when your heart flares up with jealousy when you see the many, many, faery couples. Even, the warty trolls have their loved ones! But, I only have my shadow and my reflection at best whenever I come here to the lake to take a breather.”

Bi An gasped, “Oh my, you have it tough. I’m so sorry for you. If only I could do something…” she told him as she too began drifting off into sleep.

Sungjong didn’t answer, and thus the two fell asleep in a quiet, still, place. They slept peacefully and their sleep was sweet, but it didn’t last long. A leaf had fallen from a nearby tree and it slowly made its way down until it reached the tip of Sujong’s nose. He was startled by it, immediately waking up from his sleep. He was distressed, questioning just how much time had passed. He got up and scaled a tree to catch a glimpse of the sun’s position.

“Oh no!” he said in his dismay, “It’s almost sunset! The faeries and everyone else will be here soon!”

Sungjong jumped down, breaking his fall as he rolled the impact away. He rushed to awake Bi An from her nap.

He tugged on her cheeks that were wet with drool, “Wake up, Bi An!”

“What is it?!” she languidly said.

“We have to go now! They always come at this hour and if they find you here, well, I can guarantee you won’t have a happy ending.” Sungjong insisted.

“Who’s they?” she asked as she stood up.

“I already told you! The faeries of the forest, the trolls, the gnomes, and all the other sprites of the forest are they! Not to mention the unicorns!” Sungjong shouted as his brows furled up in anger and his ears flared red.

Bi An beheld his stern look, knowing too well that his lips told no lie. She was quiet, but she answered, “Okay, tell me what to do to get out of here…”

“Quick, get on!” he ordered.

“Get on where?” she questioned.

“On my back! Where else?” he scoffed.  “It’s too dangerous to fly now, so I’ll have to carry you from here on out. The forest gate is not too far off from here. With my speed we’ll hopefully make it in time.”

Bi An was baffled, “Wait, you’re gonna run all the way to the exit?”

Sungjong smiled and answered, “Of course! You’re too slow, so it’ll be quicker and overall efficient if I simply carry you on my back as I run!”

Bi An relented following a moment’s time of hesitation. She was careful as she placed her arms around Sungjong’s neck and rested upon his back. It was a new experience for her to ride on someone’s back. She considered how she was carried by Sungjong as they flew, but didn’t count it as riding on his back, because he was technically not caring her- the wind was. She felt totally conscious of her weight, hoping he wouldn’t say, “O ho ho, you look light, but you actually weigh a lot!” But, after much deliberation she let her whole body rest upon his back.

Sungjong stomped his right foot forward. “O ho ho, you look light, but you actually weigh a lot!” he joshed.

 She plucked a strand of his hair, “Shut up! It’s not fair for you to read my mind.”

“Fine, okay, I’m sorry.” And then he thought to himself as he sighed, “Man, the trolls I’ve talked to sure are right… women are a whole bunch of trouble; no matter what you do, there’s just no pleasing them.”

Bi An yanked on his cheeks, “SHUT UP, I heard that!”

“Wow, now you can read minds?” he chuckled.

Nonetheless, Sungjong braced himself and ran. He ran and ran nonstop, with his speed and agility resembling a mighty gazelle. Then the terrain became trickier as the roots of the trees protruded more and more upwards. He did the unimaginable, he ran up a tree, and Bi An closed her eyes in fear of crashing against the branches.

“Don’t worry, Bi An,” Sungjong remarked, “I do this every day.”

He took hold of an overhanging vine and swung to the branch of a tree a small distance away.

Then his speed would slow down as he said, “We’re here!”

Sungjong’s pace became slow and his steps stopped altogether as he stood before a grand oak tree covered in an emerald-colored moss.

“This looks like the tree I talked to when I was looking for the forest,” Bi An said quietly.

“Really,” Sungjong mused, “That’s crazy; no one I know has ever spoken to a tree before, and we’re all magical beings…That’s something only heard of in legends.”

“Hey,” she scolded, “I ain’t crazy, I did talk to a tree! And to a raccoon too! The tree I talked to brought me into the forest as a bright light pulled me in… I didn’t see the light as my eyes were closed, but I’m sure it was a bright light that brought me here.”

“Okay,” Sungjong yawned, “I believe you.”

Bi An shrugged her shoulder and sighed, “Boys.”

Sungjong gazed upwards and breathed in deeply, exhaling with a sense of disappointment. He stretched his arms, “So were you healed?”

“Uhm I think so…” Bi An replied.

“Try thinking about that boy…”

Her cheeks swelled with the color red, “What?!” she squealed, “Why would I do that?”

He smirked, and with eyes closed he whispered into her ear, “Because then you’ll know whether you were healed of your supposed ‘heart disease’ or not.”
Bi An pulled herself away from his nearness, “Okay!” she yelped.

Bi An inhaled deeply and concentrated as she hearkened back to the time when that boy had helped her. It seemed as though her hair rose up with the intensity she exuded by focusing all her being upon that one moment in time. Sungjong laughed mischievously all the while, of course.

And then she let her breath escape, “Nothing! My heart doesn’t hurt at all anymore!”

Sungjong smiled, “Well, at least you’re happy- that makes me happy, to know you’re not hurting anymore, I mean.”

Bi An was bemused by his awkward answer, and she felt a warmth begin to rouse in her chest as she thought of the words he had just spoken.

Sungjong walked a few steps, and with his hands dug inside his pockets, he said, “I think it’s time for you to leave now.”

“What?” she asked, “Do I really have to go now?”

Sungjong came close to her, now standing eye to eye with her. “Yes, or else you would end your days here, in the forest. Dusk is almost here, and when the sun has set, the inhabitants of the forest return form their work of traveling to the desolate places and sowing the seeds of flowers, trees, and all other type of plant life.”

Bi An’s eyes met with the dirt of the earth as her foot drew figure eights on the ground, “Can I ask you something? How come you didn't kill me?”

The lines of Sungjong’s forehead tensed up as he thought of how to respond, “I think…I think..,” he said, “It’s because you resemble me. I always knew I was different from the rest of the faeries; I am a giant compared to them, and I am also unable to grow wings, not to mention that I am also unable to fly unless I use the magic I was taught to call the wind and ride it.” Sungjong’s eyes too met with the ground, “And so when I saw you, I was excited to see one who was like me. I didn't want to kill you, but I wanted to get to know you. I was told by the fairy elder to kill all humans that step into the forest because of their habit of desecrating life, but I couldn’t simply kill you… That would be like a killing myself…”

Bi An puffed up her cheeks and exhaled, “Wow, this is the first time I meet a person really interested in me…”

“Really? But you’re so beautiful,” Sungjong said as he took a step closer to her, now standing a handbreadth away from her.

Bi An stepped backwards as she felt she became unable to breathe.

“I’m sorry for saying silly things. It’s time for you to go…” he said.

He laid hold of her hand and placed it on the bark of the tree as he uttered a word she could not understand. The tree split down the middle and emitted an all too familiar light for Bi An.

She knew her time there was slipping from between her fingers as though it was the sand of the sea, “Will I ever see you again?” she hastily asked.

“Maybe… I hope so!” Sungjong replied as he began to slowly let go of her fingers. “When I go looking for my tribe, the mysterious Hue-Mahns!”

Bi An’s soft lips were to let out a word of response, but she was prevented from doing so as the light pulled her in. Bi An’s eyes were filled with a thick darkness; she had fallen asleep. She was then roused from slumber after a butterfly landed on the tip of her nose. Her eyes grew wide as she found herself under the shade of the tree that she had spoken with previously.

She clenched her fists and pounded upon the bark of the tree, “Mr. Tree!” she exclaimed, “You have to let me back in!”

Despite her efforts, her demands were answered by nothing, only a small breeze blew across her. She wondered whether she would ever meet the faery-warrior Sungjong ever again. And, as she thought of him, her heart began to hurt and her chest tightened.

“Oh no!” she said, “This pain is similar to the one I experienced after having met that boy during that rainy day, but only stronger…”

Bi An sat and continued thinking of the boy she met in the forest. “Could my heart have indigestion?” she questioned, “What did Sungjong do to me that my heart is hurting… Is this what you call…” she gasped, “This sickness, is it what you call being lovesick?”

So thus the tale of the girl who mysteriously contacted a certain sickness ends, with her heart having contracted a more powerful feeling of hurt as she was separated from the one who infected her with lovesickness, Lee Sungjong …