shin-woo - Smile

(CLOSED) Request Shop~ A Story for Every Passing Day

I'm so sorry for taking so long, but here it is! Hope you enjoy and please tell me what you thought :) Also, I wrote an alternate ending, so check that out too. :)


 

Smile

Chunjoo sighed as she stepped into class; she knew a long day was awaiting her. And what made it even more of a drag for her was the fact that she knew she would spend it alone... Her eyes quickly locked onto the refuge she held dear, the seat that was the farthest back in class. She was smart, not stupid at all, knowing that she would bring no attention to herself if she remained quiet and “hidden away”.

“No one’s here, huh?” She sauntered over to the back, pulled the seat, and sat on it.

Chunjoo let down her stuff and unpacked her pencil, notebook, and eraser from her satchel. She sighed once more as she laid her head down upon her desk. Her eyes wandered off to the window, whose shades remained closed.

“I’ll open them,” she told herself, “It’s kinda gloomy in here without any real light.”

            She stood and pulled on the tassel, which in turn fully opened the shades. The sunlight flooded in, and for the wee morning, it was very strong- blinding even.

            Chunjoo immediately regretted her decision of letting in sunlight as she hid her face from the intense light. She closed them back up and returned to her seat; sinking into it and again laying her head down. She closed her eyes and decided to rest until class would start.

            The sound of footsteps then caught her attention. She opened one of her eyes as she sought to see who it would be entering the classroom. In came a boy who was astounded to see the classroom empty. It was Jimin, the most sweetest and amicable boy in class.

            “Please don’t come here and talk to me,” she hoped. “I don't wanna talk.”

 He looked at her with a mystified look. “Is she the only one here?” he questioned.

            The boy with hair colored a caramel color seized the chair two seats away from her as he let down his backpack. He had kept his eyes on her ever since she first introduced herself as the new girl in class and was worried over how she had made no attempt whatsoever to make friends.     

            “Today’s the day; it’s the best chance I’ve ever been given to approach her,” he said under his breath.

            Chunjoo overheard his plan. “Danggit. Why does he have to be such a busybody?”

Jimin smiled as he thought of how exactly to make contact.

He scratched his chin, “Should I ‘Hello’ or ‘How are you?’- There are just too many options to choose from. What would Rapmonni do?”

“Aughhhh,” she groaned. Chunjoo could hear all of his words from where she sat, only a matter of steps away from him.

She feigned ignorance as she scratched her head. Then, the sound of her pencil dropping onto the floor caught both of their attention. Jimin had found the most ideal strategy.

“I’ll get it,” he said.

Chunjoo knew that he picking up her pencil for her would spell trouble; that it would encourage him to make a move and talk to her- something she would love to avoid.

“No need,” she said with a witty grin. Chunjoo quickly scurried to retrieve her pencil.

Jimin frowned and was left with an utter sense of failure riddling his heart. As he sat back down into his chair, Jimin hearkened back to the many times he had try to talk with her and how she seemingly ignored him all those times…

“What should I do now?” he asked himself.

Chunjoo resumed her state of waiting for class to start as she began biting on her pencil’s eraser to bide time- a bad habit that was well known to her friends from her previous school. A subtle smile crept up her face when she thought back to innumerable amount of times they had for it. She suspired as she remembered how such moments would no longer come her way. Chunjoo continued to bite on her pencil…

Jimin caught glimpse of her vice and was quick to imitate it. “Maybe this way I could get into her mind and find the reason why she won’t talk to anyone in class or make friends,” he told himself.

But, Jimin hated the taste of rubber and exchanged his idea with a new one. When she was not looking, Jimin quickly flung his pencil so that it would land near her.

“Yes! By doing this she’ll be forced to either pick up the pencil or if not, then I could use the opportunity to say something to her.”

She sighed and rolled her eyes. “Why does he want to talk to me so badly that he’s willing to make a fool of himself? I wonder what my old friends would think of him, a silly boy doing the most stupidest things just to catch the attention of a girl.”

Jimin came by and as he bent down to recover his pencil, he looked up at her and smiled.

“Hi, Chunjoo,” he said.

Chunjoo rolled her eyes again and grumbled, “Man, this boy has no tact. ‘It’s just like a rom-com,’ I bet my friends would say.” She quietly snickered, trying to hide her laughter as much as she could in hopes that Jimin would not be able to notice.

“What’s that you said?” asked Jimin.

She coughed. As she sat up she replied, “I said, ‘Hi’,”

Jimin took his steps slowly, keeping his eyes on the prize- the chair directly in front of her.

Chunjoo noticed. “You can’t sit there. That’s not your seat.”
           Notwithstanding, Jimin pulled the chair, turned it around, and sat on it. “Okay, but that person’s not here yet. So, I can sit here. Or do you have something against me?”

She lifted her brow. “You can do whatever you want, just please, don’t talk to me…”

“Why, I just want to be your friend?”

“Because, I don’t think you know me well enough. And side’s I have friends. They just don’t attend this school…”

“That means you have no friends here, right? Please, let me be your friend. ”

Chunjoo scoffed and laid her head back down, hiding her irritated face from his field of view.

Jimin’s smile lost its charm and a slight frown replaced it. “I’m sorry,” he said as he began to nudge her arm a little.

“It’s okay, just leave me alone.”

Jimin sighed and conceded. He went back to his seat, but he kept his eyes on her. After a few minutes, Chunjoo opened up her notebook to a blank page, reached for her pencil, and began doodling.

“I wonder what she’s drawing,” Jimin said under his breath. He craned his neck and managed to spot what she was scribbling with her pencil: hearts and what appeared to look like flowers.

“Wow, she’s a typical girl,” he chuckled. “I wonder why she hasn’t tried to make friends though.”

Jimin imitated her, but his doodles ended up being dinosaurs and things totally contrary to her drawings. Disappointed with the way his doodling turned out, Jimin folded the doodle-filled page into a paper airplane.

 A bell rung inside his head. “I got it!” he exclaimed.

Chunjoo sat up; being caught by surprise, thinking it was the teacher that had made such an abrupt noise.

Jimin jotted down some words on his paper plane and launched it at Chunjoo as he said, “Catch it!”

The plane landed underneath her desk. At first she tried to resist picking it up, but memories of similar acts of tomfoolery with her friends obliged her to cave in. She picked it up and unfolded the plane. Chunjoo could not help but to giggle at the lame attempts of drawing Godzillas and other sorts of dinosaurs on the page. When she flipped the page over, the words MY Heart that were poorly written on the backside of the page prompted her to smile.

Jimin noticed her smile and asked, “Did you like it?”

“Like what?”

Jimin explained the words, “I wrote ‘My Heart’ in English because you said I didn’t know you well enough. I thought that if you knew me first, that, then you would talk to me. I gave you my heart just then so you could know everything inside it.”

She could no longer hold in what she thought of his reasoning. She burst into laughter, and it was to the point that even tears slid down her soft face.

A perplexed look overtook his face. “I don’t get it. What’s so funny?”

Her laughter finally calmed down and she sighed. “It’s okay. It’s just that what you did- it’s just so cheesy.”

“Okay…But, it worked didn’t it? I made you laugh.”
            Chunjoo gasped, “Oh, wow, you’re not kidding.”

Jimin took full advantage of the opening she had provided and took the seat in front of her again. He couldn’t resist but to smile and this time Chunjoo welcomed it and smiled in return. Jimin, however, was not expecting that. He was taken aback, and all of a sudden, an awkward air was hovering between the two.

Chunjoo spotted a bead of sweat trickling its way down his forehead and asked, “Are you okay?”

Jimin stood up and it took him much effort, but he responded, “Yeah, uhm, it just got hot all of a sudden.”

“Really? Okay…By the way, what time is it?”

Jimin didn’t carry a watch so he pointed at the clock in front of the classroom, which read “7:35 a.m.”

“Class doesn’t start for another 40 minutes?”

“Yeah, you’re right…Why did we come to school so early?” he remarked.

Jimin’s sweat was not stopping, and wanting some fresh air, he reached for the shades. He pulled on the tassel, letting in the strong sunlight, and opened the window.

“It was getting hot,” he said.

Chunjoo rolled her eyes, and she grunted. “I just closed the shades some while ago. The light’s too strong.”

“Really?” Jimin chuckled.

She scoffed, “Yeah, can you please close ‘em back up?”

Jimin’s sweat hadn't stopped, which in turn compelled him to pluck at his shirt in an attempt to let his body breathe. He was distracted, and his eyes were drawn to Chunjoo’s as she waited for his response. Her eyes were always covered by the bangs of her thick, black, hair and now he was finally able to get a good look at them. Jimin could not let such a wonder, of her beautiful eyes, escape him; Jimin had all of his attention focused on her gaze, which in turned pushed aside all other things- even the very words that fled her lips. It was like a dream to him.

He was dumbfounded and in the midst of a total haze, he managed to respond, “Sorry, but did you say something? It’s hot and this weather has gotten me.”

“I can see that. You’re sweating a lot.”

“Yeah…”

Chunjoo gathered her belongings and dumped them into her satchel. “Uhm, you can take my seat by the window if you want. At least until class starts, I mean.”

She stood up, but Jimin quickly stopped her as he stuttered to say, “Nah, it’s okay. Just stay here- I could close them if you want!”
            Chunjoo grinned and politely replied, “No, I insist. Take my seat.” She then walked over to a seat that was still at the back, though also completely out of sunlight’s reach.

Jimin sat in her seat as he smirked. “Am I doing something wrong here? How can I talk to her? All I want is a little conversation. Man, I was almost there,” he told himself.

Chunjoo, however, did not second think her decision, but instead lamented over how her friends weren’t there to laugh with her. “I wonder how they would’ve made fun of me for spending such an awkward time with Jimin just then. I could imagine them- standing in a corner, huddled together, and giggling all the while pointing fingers at the two of us.” She slumped over her temporary desk and sighed.

Jimin’s sweat had finally ceased, though he was sure that by this point there was no purpose in shutting the shades again. “Now, how can I approach her again?” he asked himself. “What could I do? What would Rapmonni do?" he wondered as he brought his legs up to rest upon the desk.

Chunjoo, sick of being in a mopey mood, looked over at Jimin. She hoped to see him do something funny and unexpected. Jimin began leaning backwards on his chair, and such action “beckoned for trouble” Chunjoo thought.

“Don’t fall down!” she warned.

Jimin was caught off guard, and so, ironically, it was her very words of caution that caused him to lean even further backwards. He lost his balance and fell down. Jimin was hurt; he was rubbing the back of his head, attempting to soothe the pain his fall had caused. Chunjoo, on the other hand, was laughing her off.

“You wouldn’t be laughing if you were in this position,” Jimin joked as he got back up.

Making it through her laughter, Chunjoo replied, “I know. I’m sorry!!”

Jimin was fine with playing the clown since he knew it had made her laugh. “It’s cool,” he told her.

 Chunjoo tucked her hair behind her ear as she smiled at Jimin.

“I guess now’s the time to try to talk to her again.”

Jimin gestured for her to take back her seat, and after a moment of hesitation, Chunjoo bobbed her head and answered, “Okay, hold on.”

Her hand reached into a hidden compartment in her satchel as she pulled out a small box of candies. She walked to her seat, and Jimin asked about the box she held in her hand.

“It’s candy. It’s almost like jelly beans, but it has more of a sour taste that makes your cheeks pucker up. It just melts upon contact with your tongue; and as its melting it releases a very sweet, fruit-flavored, liquid. I think you’ll like it.” She opened the box and shook some of the candy out onto her palm. “It tastes good. Here have some,” she said as she extended her hand out to Jimin.

Jimin happily took two pieces of candy out of her palm. “Thanks!”

Once Jimin began to place the candy into his mouth, he puckered up and squeezed his eyes from the sheer amount of sugar that caused the sour taste of the candy. Chunjoo giggled and afterwards ate some of the candy herself.

“Whoah, this thing is good! I think I used to eat this when I was a kid. Did you know about it since you were young too?” he asked.

“No…,” Chunjoo answered with a glum look. “My friends gave me some one day; I’ve been eating it ever since…”

Jimin was no fool, immediately being able to perceive the discomfort his question had caused. So, he briskly took the box of candy out of her hand and ate the whole thing. His visage as he ate the candy was like that of a raisin. It was hilarious, Chunjoo thought. She exploded out in laughter as she looked at him.

“I’ll introduce you to some better tasting candy after school,” Jimin said as he struggled to swallow the last bit of candy down.

She let out a sigh as her laughter faded away. “I’m sorry, but I’ll have to refuse your offer.”

“What? How come? I promise it tastes better than this!”

She looked away. “I’m sorry, I just can’t...”

Jimin hung his head low between his shoulders, with his eyes peeking at her. His eyes were irresistible to ignore, shining brightly as though they were two stars.

“What is it?” she asked.

“Can I be your friend?” Jimin asked.

Chunjoo looked away, towards the window where she could view the outside world.

“Do you not like me? Was it something I did? Please, tell me and I’ll fix whatever I did wrong!”

Chunjoo turned to meet him, and her hair swayed beautifully as she did so. Jimin was again awestruck by a seemingly “normal” act, and quickly looked up, towards the ceiling, in order to avoid her gaze.

“No, it’s not that I don’t like you,” she said.

Jimin could only guess what would happen to him if he met her eyes, so he kept his head up. “Then tell me, what’s wrong with me being your friend?”

Chunjoo then was saddened as she thought, “Oh great…I’m stupid. Now he can’t even look at me. He must hate me for saying ‘No’ to him.”

But, after feeling a strain in his neck, Jimin was forced to look down, meeting her eyes in the process. He rubbed the back of his neck and again asked, “Did I do something wrong? All I want to do is be your friend.”

“If you become my friend, then, I’d be a traitor…”
“How so?”

“I promised my old friends- the ones I’ve had since grade school up until a few months ago…when I changed school.”
“Promised what?”

“That they would always be the bestest friends I’ve ever had; that they would always remain in my heart…”

“But what does that have to do with making new friends?” Jimin asked with a smile.

“Well, if I make new friends, then I would most likely forget about my old friends. There’s also the chance that I would love my new friends more…And that would make break my promise.”

Jimin sighed. He thought of the exact thing Rapmonster would respond if he were in his position, and he replied “That makes no sense!”

“What do you mean?” Chunjoo asked.

“They ain’t real friends if they hold you in some type of slave contract or something where you can’t make new friends!”

“Hey!” she shot back, “Don’t you badmouth them! You don’t know anything about them.”

Jimin chuckled. “I think I know enough. If they really are such good friends as you say they are, then I’m sure they wouldn’t want you seating alone in class; much less spend your high school life as the girl who had no friends.”

Chunjoo didn’t how to respond. All she could was listen to him as he talked.

“I mean, think about it- If your friends were in your position of being the new girl in class, do you think they would sit still, moping around as they reminisce about the ‘good ol’ days” with their past friends? I don’t think that’s healthy. I’m sure you’re friends love you, and I know you love them, but do you think their love is so shallow as to prevent you from having new friends?”

“I don’t know…” she said under her breath.”

“Haven’t you heard?  ‘Two are better than one. If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.’ Let me be that one that’s there for you… If you slip and fall, who will be there to help you if you have no one besides you? That’s why I want to be next to you- I wanna be your friend!’’

“But…”

“But, nothing! Please let me be your friend! Give me a chance.”

Chunjoo sighed as she took his words into consideration. When she thought of what to say, she scratched the crown of her head, and was about to reply but she held her tongue as the sound of footsteps were heard coming from the hallways.

(ALT. Ending Starts Here)

Jimin’s friend walked in and noticed the two sitting alone.

“So…you guys going out now?” he teased.

“What? No! Jimin’s just talking to me,” Chunjoo exclaimed.

            “Aaaahh. Yeah, she’s right. I’m just talking to her,” Jimin added.

With another person in the room, the two felt compelled to stop talking. Jimin went back to his regular seat after he handed Chunjoo her belongings that she had left in the other seat; and Chunjoo stayed seated by the window, staring off into the clouds of heaven. Jimin kept his eyes on her, but his friend came and began talking to him, disrupting his desire to focus all his attention on her in the process.

The school day went on; Jimin was glad to have shared each and every single class with her, but with people coming between them every time he tried to approach her, he grew very frustrated. School would eventually end, but his friends wanted to spend some time with Jimin playing at the arcades.

            Seeing how Chunjoo was only a few steps ahead of him, Jimin finally decided to blow his friends off, “I have something more important to do today. I’ll play with you guys some other day!”

Chunjoo had just turned a corner and Jimin all the more prompted himself to catch up.

“Hey!” he called, “Hwan Chunjoo!”

Chunjoo knew who it was, but chose not to turn around. She felt a bit devious, hoping that Jimin would keep calling for her. Jimin called her once more and caught up, tugging on her shoulder.

“You didn’t hear me?” he asked.

“I’m sorry…,” she replied.

“Well, will you take up on my offer?”

“What offer?”

“Of introducing you to some of my favorite sweets,” he answered with a smile, “I told you, remember?”

Chunjoo nodded. “Okay.”

“I really want to be your friend,” he told her as they began to walk.

She grinned, “I’ll think about it.”

Jimin looked up, with much hope in his heart that he would become her friend. “And maybe more than just a friend later on, right?”

“I’ll have to think more about that…” Chunjoo answered.


(Alt. Ending)

Their teacher came in and was surprised to see the two in class.

 “What are you guys doing here?” he asked. “Today’s a teacher conference day, so that means no school until tomorrow… We announced it yesterday... How’d you guys get in here?”

“What?”  the two questioned.

“Yeah… you guys should go back home before you get in trouble.” their teacher advised.

Both Jimin and Chunjoo scurried off to put away their belongings and just as quickly left school. Chunjoo left the school gate first and walked on as Jimin followed not too far behind. The two kept walking down the same path, and it took Jimin a while to realize, but he figured out that Chunjoo was taking the same path he was taking.

“Hey!” Jimin exclaimed in an attempt to draw Chunjoo’s attention to himself.

She turned around and scoffed at the idea that Jimin was now stalking her, but she stopped to wait for him nonetheless.

Jimin rushed to meet with her and asked if she would like to try the candy he offered earlier.

“It tastes good, I promise it does,” he insisted.

With much consideration she finally answered, “Okay, I don’t see the harm in taking up on your offer.”