You Can Fly (ft. Markson)

(CLOSED) Request Shop~ A Story for Every Passing Day

You Can Fly

 

Mark was a boy who was too perfect. His family was well off and he was very handsome to boot. At school the girls loved him and the boys admired him. He wasn’t the top of the class, but he wasn’t the bottom either, and he was okay with that. His eyes were brilliant, shining stars he had for them. However, the reason they shone so was due to his welled up tears. He was pressured, you see. Not everyone was aware that he too, just like everyone else, had his own battles to fight. He was afraid of the future, of the days that were to come. The vagueness and ambiguity that surrounded the future was as the dark clouds that veil the sun on a stormy day to him. He was a senior in high school and the thoughts of what he would next with his life terrified him. Mark wasn’t afraid of taking steps forward, but he was afraid of where they would lead to…

            Every person in school had a friend to help carry their burdens, but Mark did not. He only had “acquaintances”. His acquaintances didn’t approach him as a friend because they thought he had “everything put together”.  And he was popular, but he didn’t have one to truly call “friend”. Mark envied those around him for that very reason. He didn’t tell his parents or anyone in his family about his problems, about his worries and fears, because he was too ashamed of letting any vulnerability or weakness show; he thought they wouldn’t comprehend him. The grip he had on his sanity steadily began to loosen… He needed someone that would pull him back up onto firm ground, but no one was there. And so it came to pass one lone Saturday night that he ran away from home after finally losing hope of his future becoming bright and clear…

            “But where am I heading to? No place to go? I’m only going in circles!” he questioned as he breathed heavily from all the aimless running.

His breath finally caught up with him and so did his fears. It was natural to him though, he considered it a part of his human nature, to have fear; he had gotten used to being afraid. Still, he walked onwards in the midst of a long summer night. His eyes gravitated upwards and he saw all the stars held as they were in the curtain called sky. Despite the night’s marvel, he quickly looked down. Then he caught a glimpse of an all too familiar building from the corner of his eye. It was his school: he had (somehow) wound up there.

“I got it! I’ll stay at school for the night. But what about tomorrow? Where will tomorrow take me?” he asked himself. He grew dizzy in his anxiousness, but soon regained his balance after a deep breath.

There was a tall gate that prevented his entry, a modern day wall of Jericho that would’ve been open on any given school day. Would he be able to go into his promised land?

“I have to. If I don’t, I’ll die of regret,” said Mark as he mustered up enough courage to scale the gate.

He scaled it slowly, as to make sure not to cause injury. But, he did it nonetheless. He was atop the very apex of the separating boundary and he felt free. He inhaled the freshest air and finally let out a smile, a genuine smile. He was no fool though, and he knew that he had to climb down soon-that his shortly lived freedom would have to cease.

“Just one more minute... I know I can’t stay here forever, but just one more is enough…” he said as he drew in a deep breath.

He felt adventurous so he took a chance and jumped down the ten foot gate. He landed safely. Then he lied down on his back and became absorbed in laughter. He had finally remembered how it is to feel “happy”.

“Who’s there? Is it you hoodlums again?” said an aged security guard as he poked through the night’s darkness with his handy-dandy flashlight from a distance.

Mark cringed and began to sweat in panic, thinking, “Will I be caught? Will I be thrown in to the slammer? Will I somehow be labeled as a ert?”

“Alright, I was once young too. So whoever it is, if anyone’s here at all, I’ll give you a chance! Run and get out! I know youth is a time to live on adrenaline and to have blood rush to your head, but that shouldn’t be a reason to vandalize this school! Leave, before I catch you!” warned the old man.

Mark didn’t hesitate: he made a dash for it. Yet, despite his warning, Mark ran and hid in one of the school’s buildings. He thought that it was worth it for one more moment of suspense and excitement. He had tasted the fruit of temptation, and he loved it.

“I’m free! Yes, why should I worry about tomorrow when it’s still ‘today’?” he exclaimed as he ran and leapt in the narrow hallways.

He went up and down stairs, he somersaulted, he shouted, he rolled, and he shed tears of joy. Soon enough, he had become exhausted and so he decided to take a small break. He entered the 7th classroom for the first year students. The door creaked as it opened, and the sudden noise caused Mark’s hair to rise.

“Whoa, getting scared from a door?” he remarked.

Nonetheless, he set his eyes on a desk that was near the window- where he could again look up at heaven, though it was pretty dark and the stars had begun to be obscured by a thick mist. He sauntered off to the desk and pulled out its seat. He sat and placed his arms upon the worn tabletop, resting his head on them as though they were cushions. He wondered how long this newly-gained liberty would last. Even so, he found respite there- all the while contemplating whether anyone would care if he simply vanished. Soon enough, the sandman worked his magic on him and he became drowsy.

“I’ll sleep,” he whispered, “if only for a moment…”

His weary, sleep burdened, eyes closed and he slipped into a deep slumber. A small while later, he awoke and felt refreshed.  He stretched his arms and peeking out the window, he saw the semblance of a man atop one of the school’s building.

“Am I seeing things?” he questioned.

This shadowy figure attracted Mark’s attention, almost as if it had a magnetic pull on him. He felt compelled to go there.

“Let’s do it!” he decided.

He stood up and rushed towards the roof of that building. No fetter was strong enough to bind Mark, nor was any anchor too heavy to hold him down. And he ran across the very place where the guard had spotted him, but he had his mind clear of any fear and so he ran without restraint.

“I wonder who it is! Could it be an alien? The chupacabra? Or better yet, could it be an angel?” mused Mark as he kept on running.

Mark had reached the building and all that was left for him to do was to ascend up to that roof. He panted and panted, and even so he kept on running. Once he had made it to the last floor, he searched for the door that would lead him up to where he had spotted the murky figure. Within a few minutes he found success. He briskly twisted the knob, and pushed the door open with all his might. “BAM,” the door crashed open!

He looked and looked frantically, “Where are you?!”

When he had looked eastward, he spotted a boy about his age standing atop the ledge. They exchanged glances.

“Are you an alien?” asked Mark.

No, I’m a vampire. Are you a cop, how’d you make it past security.” replied the boy.

“Really, a vampire?” said Mark as squinted his eyes in disbelief. “And no, I’m not a cop. You kidding, the old man is the only security this school has.”

“Oh, yeah…”
“Whatcha doin’ up here?” asked Mark as he drew near to the boy.

The boy gave him a dumbfounded look and scoffed.

“Me, well, I’m an angel. I’m here to uhm…Complete a task I was assigned!”

“What, really? Nah, you lying.”

“No, I’m not, Mark.”
“How’d you know my name?” gasped Mark as he fell on his in shock.

“Because, I’m an angel,” he replied as he stepped off the ledge and walked toward Mark. “My name is Jackson, Wang Jackson. And I’ve been sent here to tell you that you have been given wings… Or at least, to tell you that they will soon sprout out your back.”

“What? I can fly?”

“Yes you can,” chuckled Jackson

Jackson stretched out his arms and lifted his head towards the heavens. The night was long and the stars were still hidden by a thick mist. Jackson circled Mark who was still on his . Mark’s eyes were filled with light and this made Jackson happy. He walked around Mark in circles; his steps were graceful and quiet, like the droplets of a spring rain that dance the waltz around the lily flower.

“You have troubles, don’t you? Just like any other boy, correct? Let me guess, you are afraid of the days that not yet are.” asked Jackson in a still, gentle voice.

“Yes! How’d you know? Are you gonna’ take me up?” asked Mark in eagerness.

Jackson offered his hand to Mark, helping him to get up. He his hair in a tender manner.

Placing his head upon his chest, he said, “It’s okay, Mark.  It’s okay. But, I can’t take you up if you are not dead, you know. But we can solve that, I mean all you hafta do is step on the ledge, and then I’ll push you off!”

“What?!” Mark pushed Jackson aside and drew away in fear, “Angels don’t kill people!”

Jackson snickered, but soon enough fell on his back, guffawing and choking up.

“I’m sorry, I just had to,” he panted as he steadily rose up.

Mark, however, didn’t think of it as humorous. In his anger, he pulled on Jackson’s collar.

“You kidding me? You ain’t human- you’re an angel, who can fly to anyplace at any given time, while I have to spend my days in anxiousness and despair in this place!”

“Whoah, calm down, bro. I know how it feels too, so chill…” replied Jackson as he brushed off Mark’s hands. “It was just a joke, I’m sorry.”

Mark sighed and then answered, “Augh, it’s okay. I don’t want to be known as the man who killed an angel anyways.” Straightening his shirt, he asked “So how about them wings you told me about?”

Jackson wiped a bead of sweat from off his forehead and replied, “OH, those? Well they’ll pop out if you go to heaven, maybe, I think… BUT, I want to tell you that you can fly… in a metaphorical way.”
“What?”

“Fears and thoughts of worries, well, they’re like a black ocean. All you gotta do is stop diving into it, breathe in, and just live. Stay away from the bad stuff- you already know this, c’mon. I don’t have to tell you these words again, I’m sure you’ve already heard these words over a thousand times already. It’s up to you to do the work. Oftentimes, all you have to do is look up for hope, you don’t need any preaching bro,” and Jackson walked over to Mark. “Don’t be like that troublemaking kid Eric. That dude vandalized all of the halls here. And that’s why we gotta leave, like right now! We don’t wanna be caught and expulsed from the school.”

“What?”

Hastily, Jackson asked, “Which way you running? You’re gonna head for the front or the back exit?”

Mark was confused, “What? Can’t you just fly us out of here?”

 “No, I need my wings to do that, duh!”

Mark tilted his head being doubtful of his response asking, “Well, that doesn’t make any sense- how an angel does not have wings…Unless you’re not an angel.”

Jackson fumbled up his thoughts, but quickly replied, “Uhmmm, it doesn’t work that way. ‘Sides, how would you know? You too are only human. Pffft! Silly human!”

Mark grew frustrated with his roundabout answer. He questioned his mischievous ways and credibility.

“Could this dude actually be the devil?” he asked himself.

However, regardless of his questions, Mark knew Jackson was right: the two had to escape before they were caught.

“I’ll take the front exit, you can take the back,” he answered as he ran his hand through his silk-like hair.

“Alright cool. I’m not sure how to thank you,” Jackson then held onto his chin and continued saying, “Oh, I know! I’ll let you in on a big secret!”

“Really now? What is it?” replied Mark dubiously.

“You know moles?”

“The animals?” asked Mark with an upraised brow.

“No, the ones you have on your skin- just like the one you have above your lip. Well, they’re actually kisses or kiss-marks, rather, from an angel. Yup yup, I gave you that small one when you were still a tot!”

Mark chuckled at his startling response. The two soon bolted out of the building and the guard was too slow to catch them or even see their faces. Mark and Jackson parted ways with each going in opposite directions. Returning home, Mark was scolded by his two parents as he had expected. His countenance was brought low and his eyes were dim.

“Why would you do that?” sternly questioned Papa Tuan.

However, Mark did not reply being afraid of how his father would react to his answer. Instead he just stood still with his hands nestled deep inside his pockets.

“What if he takes me to a shrink? I don’t want to be labeled a psycho,” brooded over Mark.

His father caught a hint of worry, even of tears perhaps, deep in his son’s tender eyes, “You know what,” he sighed, “I’ll let this go. Boys will be boys. But please promise not to do it again. It’s 4 am! Nearly gave me and your mother a heart attack!”

Mark was stunned. His father had perceived his qualms (something he previously thought impossible) and he had simply let it go, his little misadventure. Could it have been the work of his angel, the delinquent whom he had encountered just a small while ago? Surely it could have not been, unless the boy was sincere in his words. Nevertheless, Mark was full of joy and he expressed it in embracing his parents- something that once was foreign to him. He took small steps to his room, all while holding his “angel” in mind. Tossing himself into his bed, Mark yawned and yawned. It was a long night for him and so sleep swiftly overtook him.

When the sun had dawned upon his soft complexion, Mark’s eyes became as clear as the river waters. Today was a new beginning for him. Neither worry, nor fear held him slave any longer. On the contrary, they had vanished, as though they were like the morning dew and the sun had dried them up in its scorch. He felt relief, but knew that they would return again and again for battle. But, Mark was strong in his heart, knowing that he now had wings. Nevertheless, school would not pardon a tardy, so Mark got himself ready and went his way.

On the path, he spotted his angel. “Jackson,” he called out.

Jackson turned back to see who it was, being nervous of the possibility that he had been caught in yesterday’s tomfoolery.

“Jackson, my angel!” exclaimed Mark as he held firmly onto him.

“Oh, it’s the dude from yesterday,” replied Jackson as he sighed in relief.

“Yeah, it’s me!” answered Mark jovially.

At this point, the two had attracted unwanted attention from their fellow peers who too were on the way to school. Mark felt no awkwardness despite all the looks; he had finally gained a friend and nothing could prevent him from sharing his love.

“What? You gonna tell on me because of yesterday’s prank?” questioned Jackson as he stepped back.

“Nah, I was pretty sure you were lying.” answered Mark with a grin upon his face.

“How?”

“That’s easy, you had no halo. But, you helped me out a lot. Let’s be friends. Together we can fight the good fight. I’ll hold you up and you’ll hold me up!”

“You won’t tell on me?”

“No. I didn’t even notice any type of graffiti whatsoever. I most likely ran past any in my haste.”

“Oh, cool. Eric got caught by the old security guard and was expulsed. I was the lookout, but I wasn’t very good at it. Then you popped up, and well, I’m sorry for messing with you like that…” Jackson chuckled,  “You got  yo wings?”

“Yup, even though I’m sure sheer optimism isn’t enough to keep me from falling… A friend could sure be a source of strength.”

“Me, your friend? Alright, but remember that I ain’t too perfect. We gotta look for wings that don’t wear... Or a hope that won’t fail, rather. I got some other friends that I should introduce you to. They’re not troublemaking dudes like Eric though!”

 “By the way, how’d you know my name?” asked Mark.

“Dude, you’re popular. How could I not know?”