Chapter 8

Breaking the Silence

So short. I apologize for making it this short. I don't actually know why it's so short, maybe I just didn't have anything to write for this chapter. I don't actually know how long I want it yet. Maybe until 15 like 'Husbands with Benefits'? Or maybe a chapter or two longer? I am thinking of it as parts divided by the kisses shared by JongYu and one part passed. I'll either have one more or two more, but I'm not sure yet. You guys tell me!


 

To say that Jinki was surprised to know that Minho actually contacted his manager for an appointment would be an understatement. He'd gone down the stairs after working in his studio for some dinner, but had frozen at the entrance to the living room when he saw Minho sitting there. He wasn't alone, of course, with both managers sitting across from him on the other couch with Taemin, Kibum and Jonghyun standing behind the couch they shared. The bodyguards and Taemin weren't particularly pleased with Minho, it seemed, but they certainly had a better reaction than Jinki did.

Jinki stared for a moment in silence because in his mind, he was already back in "Onew mode", but he knew there was no need to pretend to be Onew when everyone in the room knew the situation and just how badly Jinki thought of Minho. With his face composed and blank of all emotion, he walked forward until he was in the room and immediately felt all eyes glued to him, though Jinki was staring right back at Minho.

"What are you doing here?" his voice was cold and he himself had to force back a shiver as he spoke, and his manager cleared his throat to call attention to himself.

"Jinki, don't be so stiff." he let out a forced laugh and got up, patting Jinki on the shoulder.

"No, he has the right to be." Minho called out suddenly, and everyone was staring at Minho, who was looking back at Jinki with calm eyes, "I did hurt him, after all."

Because he wanted to spite the actor, Jinki shook his manager's hand off and took the seat across from him and narrowed his eyes as if to dare him to continue, "I won't repeat my question."

As he sat there, Jinki made the mistake of looking past Minho to where Jonghyun was standing, and he could just feel his gaze softening as Jonghyun gazed back at him. There was a faint trace of disappointment in Jonghyun's eyes, as if he couldn't believe why Jinki was acting that way, but his eyes were also full of an admiration Jinki never had seen from anyone before. 

Instead of speaking, Minho sighed, got off of the couch, and sat right on his knees to bow at the elder, "I hurt you, and I'm sorry that I did."

Jinki got to his feet a moment later, because he had no idea what he was supposed to do with someone bowing for him, and after taking a nervous glance at his manager, Jinki stepped further away from Minho, "Why are you bowing?"

Jonghyun, after seeing Jinki's nervous state, walked forward and gently put a hand on the elder's back, rubbing it in order to soothe him. Jinki wanted to relax at the touch, of course, but Minho was still on his knees and Jinki was growing more and more uncomfortable about it.

"Minho hyung, get up. You're making him uncomfortable." That was Taemin's voice speaking as he stared at the male on his knees, because he knew he wouldn't want to see Jinki be nervous, and he had no idea what to do other than tell Minho to stop hurting him.

"I forgot you get nervous about-" Minho cut himself off and quickly got off the ground in order to calm the elder down, but Jinki had already decided it was enough for the day and quickly crossed back to the stairs to escape from their pitying and confused glances.

Jonghyun was close to follow him, seeing as the elder's condition wasn't looking very bright, and followed Jinki right into the bathroom connected to the elder's room, standing by the door and watching as Jinki ducked his head under the faucet and ran cold water over himself. He didn't stop Jinki from doing what he was doing to calm himself down, but was ready with a towel as soon as the elder was done, and carefully draped it over his damp hair.

"I can do it, Jonghyun." Jinki's voice was gentle in defeat, and Jonghyun merely brushed his words off and shut the toilet seat, gently pushing the elder onto the lid and working to dry his hair. As he did so, Jinki only stared at the bodyguard's waist, his head racing with thoughts he shouldn't have been thinking of anyway. 

The younger didn't ask why he reacted that way, though it was obvious he wanted to ask. He would gaze down into the elder's eyes as he dried Jinki's hair, but after seeing his defeated expression each time, he'd just return to his action dutifully. Jinki didn't know what came over him, but a moment later, he wrapped his arms around Jonghyun's midsection and pulled the younger closer to bury his face into the male's chest. Instantly, the towel limped over his head and he felt Jonghyun's arms wrap tightly around him and rocking him to calm him down.

"I'm here." That was all Jonghyun said, but Jinki knew there was a part that was missing, I won't leave. Jonghyun was silently reassuring him that he'd be there for the moments when Jinki felt like the entire world was against him, and Jinki was more than grateful for that.

When Jinki deemed himself calm, he pulled back and turned his gaze to the floor, satisfied by the way the towel blocked his view of Jonghyun's face because of the shame and the never ending fear he felt, "I was ten when our parents passed away. Taemin doesn't remember much since he was only five, but I remember exactly what happened. I had been at the park with Taemin because our parents wanted to spend their anniversary lunch by themselves at home, and they trusted me to look after Taemin. I don't know what we were doing, but then a firetruck rolled by with it's sirens blasting, and somehow... I- I just knew, so I grabbed Taemin and I ran home as quickly as possible." Jinki felt his hands clench on his lip as he took a moment to breathe again, taking in Jonghyun's silence as he explained, "When we had gotten home, it was too late. The house was on fire, and no one would tell us anything. It took hours before Taemin and I met our relatives at the social services' office. They got right onto their knees and cried in front of us. Ever since then, I just..."

Jonghyun never let him finish, pulling him back into his chest and rubbing his back so gently that Jinki wondered if he were just imagining the touch after all. Breathing in Jonghyun's scent calmed him down better than the cold water did, and even taking in deep breaths. Jonghyun felt safe, and Jinki was basking in his embrace because he knew it wouldn't last. 

"You act so strong." Jonghyun finally murmured, and Jinki had to pull back slightly in order to hear it, instead of focusing on the intoxicating sound of the younger's heartbeat, "You're actually the most fragile person I've ever met."

Jinki let out a laugh at that, and though it was supposed to be sarcastic, it was weak and accepting, "I should hire a nanny to take care of me for the rest of my life, shouldn't I?"

"Maybe," Jonghyun agreed as he pulled back and headed for the bathroom door, "Or you could let me do it for free."

It was good that he was left alone, because a new wave of nervousness flooded his emotions, a type that he had thought he gave up on experiencing. He debated on just sitting there for the rest of the day, since it would be better than being around Jonghyun in his current state, but he knew that wasn't a reasonable desire and stood up. When he checked the mirror, he was appauled by the degree of redness that stained his cheeks. Jinki wasn't used to blushing at all, especially since what had happened between himself and Minho, but it seemed that Jonghyun had a way with making him do things he wasn't used to doing anyway.