Chapter 14

Breaking the Silence

The only problem with him staying home was that it convinced Taemin to stay home until he got back onto his feet... and that Minho practically lived with them and only left at night in order to sleep in his own bed.

But it wasn't really like Jinki needed someone to take care of him. Jinki hadn't even stepped foot into his studio after his manager and Taemin's manager told him the news. Yes, Jinki loved his career, and yes he wanted to keep making music, but he didn't need to. After all the years he spent making music, he and Taemin were set for the rest of his life.

Another downside to not having a career would be that he had nothing to do all day. When Jinki finally forced Taemin to go out on his schedules, Jonghyun and Kibum followed him and left the elder Lee at home. Jinki spent his day in front of the television, watching random dramas and music videos made by other artists that he knew of. 

He also chose to cook every meal himself and cleaned every inch of the house thoroughly, leaving the other four men astounded and in disbelief. 

One day, when he had gone down to make himself a quick mug of decaf before heading to clean off another area of the house, a pair of arms had him pinned against the kitchen counter and then he was being kissed. He knew it was Jonghyun who was kissing him, and that was the reason why his heart let out a little pang of guilt; he had been wallowing in his own self pity and hadn't even given Jonghyun another glance because of it.

It didn't seem to affect Jonghyun earlier, so Jinki never thought too much about it, but he was obviously wrong. Jonghyun's lips were kissing him as if he'd never had a kiss from the elder before. There were even a few tears dripping from Jonghyun's skin onto Jinki's, and the elder felt his heart break. So, Jinki just moved his hands and cupped the back of Jonghyun's neck with one of them.

Eventually, though, Jonghyun let go of the elder, instead choosing to rest their foreheads against each others. Jinki stared down at him for a few moments, wondering what could possibly have been swimming around in his mind, but Jonghyun was quick to clear his expression, and slowly, a smile lit his face.

"Go out with me today."

Jinki wanted to refuse since that day was dedicated earlier to the cleaning of the attic, which desperately needed to be sorted through what with all the boxes of memories locked away. However, when he opened his mouth to refuse, he just saw the disappointment start to peek into Jonghyun's eyes, and he bit his complaints back instantly.

"Where to?"

Jonghyun never answered, though Jinki had already expected that. Instead, he dragged Jinki outside by the hand. The elder was lucky that Taemin refused to wake up as early as he did, or else he wouldn't have known what to say about being dragged around by the younger male.

There was a little red motorcycle sitting out in the driveway, and although the Lee's were rich enough to afford a motorcycle, he knew it wasn't theirs. He was merely caught by surprise when Jonghyun pulled keys out of his pocket and pressed the unlock button, causing the headlights of the vehicle to blink.

"This is yours?" Jinki sputtered, pointing at the vechile lamely with his jaw dropped in awe. Jonghyun looked at him for a moment in amusement and got onto the bike, expecting for the elder to take the remaining space of the seat. 

When he noticed that Jinki was only standing by the front door of the house and glancing down at his pajamas, Jonghyun started the bike and even revved the engine to pull him out of his stupor, "Are you coming or what?"

"In what I'm wearing now?!" Jinki demanded, covering himself with his arms because he wasn't even wearing a jacket and it was pretty chilly outside. On the contrary, Jonghyun was fully decked out in jeans, and a leather jacket hiding whatever he had worn underneath.

"You look perfect as you are." Jonghyun's witty reply caused for the elder's face to redden in embarrassment and the faintest pleasure. Although he would have loved to go back in for a change of clothes, the sweet grin on Jonghyun's lips caused him to nod dumbly and hurry towards him.

There was a pair of helmets in his grip, and as the elder got closer to him, Jonghyun tossed one of the helmets into the air for the elder to catch. He did, but barely so, and was left watching in confusion as Jonghyun fastened his own helmet.

"I'm trusting you with my life, Jonghyun." He knew he was saying this too late, since the younger had been his bodyguard for a while now, so he didn't mind the fond shaking of Jonghyun's head as he pulled his helmet on.

After taking a few deep breaths, Jinki had climbed onto the motorcycle behind Jonghyun with his hands nervously fidgeting for a place to hold on to. Jonghyun solved this easily, reaching back to grab his arms and wind them around his waist. The elder was surprised by his boldness, of course, but didn't bother moving away as Jonghyun pulled out of the driveway and onto the busy morning streets.

There were several questions burning in his mind, and he was dying to ask Jonghyun where they were going, but the two of them were silent, and thoughy it was terribly cliché, Jinki leaned forward and rested his chin on Jonghyun's shoulder. Jinki could see the grin forming on the young bodyguard's lips, even with the screen covering his face.

Suddenly, he was grateful, and very much so. Not only did Jonghyun miss him because of the elder's cold treatment, he was kind enough to stay even despite the elder's personality and forgave his stupid mistakes. If that wasn't the greatest thing about Jonghyun, it was that just being together for a few moments caused a light to enter Kim Jonghyun's face that was far more blinding than even the sun.

"I love you, Jonghyun." He knew there was a low chance of the younger hearing him, but he didn't care. He just knew he loved Jonghyun and painfully so.

Like he expected, his words fell upon deaf ears. Jinki was also suddenly grateful that Jonghyun hadn't heard him, because he didn't want to deal with any embarrassment the younger could give him after his second confession. With a light squeeze of the younger's waist, Jinki resumed watching the roads around them as he tried to guess where they were going.

It was an old, run down building, he learned. He didn't realize it was where they were going, at first, but when Jonghyun pulled over at the curb for street parking, Jinki looked around to find the one building alone on the block. The elder Lee felt his eyebrows furrow in confusion, because what were they doing at such a sketchy looking place anyway?

Jinki was the first to get off the motorcycle, though his eyes had shifted to watch Jonghyun in suspicion. Just why had the younger brought him to such a place, anyway? Jonghyun, as if he felt the elder's gaze, took his time taking his helmet off and his gaze was immediately on the ground as he and Jinki stood there. Jonghyun was nervous, it seemed, but Jinki had no reason why.

"What is this place, Jonghyun?" He asked gently, reaching out to put a hand on Jonghyun's shoulder. The younger man tensed at his touch, and when he looked up, there was a forced grin on his lips.

"Is... is it okay if I show you?"

Jinki suddenly was aware of the dropping of his heart. Whatever this place was, it was important to Jonghyun. The younger man looked so vulnerable and afraid that in order to reassure him that everything would be okay, Jinki cupped his face and pressed his lips against Jonghyun's forehead. It seemed that's all Jonghyun needed to feel at peace, though he had subconsiously reaching his hands up to grasp at Jinki's arms and keep them close to him. 

From behind them, the door to the building had opened, and out ran a group of little girls and boys, squealing and without meaning to, pushing Jinki away so they could tackle Jonghyun into a hug. Jinki watched in a mix of amusement, confusion, and jealousy, because the way Jonghyun smiled at them was precious and had his own heart brighten.

"Oppa, you came to play again!" One of the little girls had excitedly pulled on his pant leg, and Jonghyun was quick to pull her into his arms and spin around.

"I told you I'd come back soon, didn't I?" Then, he was tickling her. The other children had started to whine, and with a playful groan, Jonghyun put the one girl down and was then chasing the children back into the building.

Jinki only chose to watch from the sidewalk, feeling slightly unnerved by the situation. It seemed like the kids were close to Jonghyun, but why, and just how often did Jonghyun choose to visit them?

"Jinki-ssi?" A kind elderly woman had stepped out of the building, and seeing her had him bow immediately. The woman seemed to know who he was, whoever the woman was, and had slowly joined him on the sidewalk. He felt guilty for having her meet him all the way there and was quick to offer an arm for her support.

"I'm fine dear, just a little surprised that a big star like you would come visit our poor orphanage."

Orphanage? This place, beat up and destroyed, was an orphanage? His heart broke as he looked up at the building, and even from out there, he could hear Jonghyun's laughter; and a smile unknowingly lit his face.

"I'm glad to be here," he answered her, and he could see her glancing at the building and back to him, with a small knowing spark in her eyes,

"This place seems to be important to Jonghyun and... well, he's important to me."

The woman let out a round of soft laughter, her hand brushing a worn out pendant on her chest, "Jonghyun was dropped off here shortly after he was born. You don't know how excited we all were when he moved out and got a job. Then suddenly he comes here and says he's working for one of the richest people in the country- I didn't want to believe it but now that you're here with us, it's obviously true."

Jinki listened to her words with a rising sense of pride in his heart. True, he was really only a rich boss at first, but now that Jonghyun was comfortable enough to bring him home, it stirred up those amazing emotions in his chest again. Jonghyun was an orphan, much like himself and Taemin, but while he and his brother spoiled themselves and lived in luxury, Jonghyun worked hard and brought himself to a place he had probably never expected to be.

"Thank you for trusting me." The woman was surprised and told him not to bow, but he wasn't going to lift his head while he was crying. The lady didn't deserve to see that after all the kindness she showed him and to Jonghyun.

"That boy has been listening to your songs for years." That had Jinki's head snapping up towards her in absolute shock, because wouldn't that mean Jonghyun knew him as Onew far before they had even met?

"Really?" His voice was small as he asked, surprised, honored. He didn't know exactly what it was, but he knew there was love in his tone. It was inevitable by now- he just really loved Jonghyun.

The woman nodded, taking Jinki by the hand with the gentlest of grips and leading him into the house, "He had gone through some serious behavioral problems and depression, but when he started listening to your songs, something changed. Now I know why, because you're such a wonderful boy."

If he had been embarrassed by Jonghyun's flattery early that day, he was absolutely red-faced as he heard her words. Jonghyun had been one of his fans, and now he was so much more. Maybe it was also a little weird, in a way, but he decided he wouldn't have asked for anything different. Jonghyun loved him even though Onew wasn't real, even though Jinki was an , even though the Lee family was a mess.

"Tell me, Jinki-ssi. Do you love him as much as you make it seem?" The woman's voice was still gentle, but she was winking and her tone suggested that he was watching Jonghyun like a lovesick puppy.

He was, and he'd admit it albeit reluctantly, but it didn't mean she had to embarrass him further. He wanted to answer her, whether it be to deny her claims or to sputter around like an idiot, but somehow the children had found him and decided they wanted to abduct the elder male into their play time with Jonghyun. Jinki played, although he was awkward and didn't know many of the games they were playing, but none of the children seemed to mind, and neither did Jonghyun. In fact, even though Jinki himself wasn't aware of it, Jonghyun watched as Jinki played and light filled his actions.

When Jinki did turn to glance at Jonghyun, finding that Jonghyun was looking right back at him with fondness in his eyes, the elder Lee let his lips curl into a grin. Suddenly, he was motivated to get his career back on track.

For the one fan that loved him despite all of his flaws.