Chapter 4

Breaking the Silence

It was rare for Jinki to find himself on a day without work. Since the incident between him and Taemin, he had taken several schedules a day just to keep himself busy because he knew Taemin wouldn't want him to be around. With his younger brother's recent accident, however, Jinki was told to take more days off to watch over the younger and make sure his condition stabled again before going back to work; since that would make him look better to the public.

Of course, putting it like that made it all seem quite terrible, and Jinki was sure Kibum would be able to watch over Taemin, yet he didn't complain after a well deserved night of sleep. Jinki figured that he'd be able to sleep into the next night and wake up just in time for his next schedule, but of course his body didn't agree with that. When he rolled over and checked what time it was so that he could scold himself for still being awake, it was noon, and Jinki decided it was too late to keep sleeping anyway.

He decided to venture downstairs and look around for something to do to waste the rest of his day on, but regretted it immediately when he passed Jonghyun, Kibum, and Taemin in the living room. The three of them were sitting on the ground around the coffee table with cards in their hand and bags of junk food sprawled out on the table. The worst part was, however, that Taemin was only wearing pants, while Kibum was fully clothed and Jonghyun was in his boxers.

"What are you three doing?" His voice came out a lot calmer than he thought it would, though he was sure it was because he was used to seeing strange things as an idol. 

The three of them froze instantly and turned to him, and Jinki could swear Taemin turned red for a brief moment at Jinki's sudden arrival. The two bodyguards were a lot calmer about the situation, though Kibum was grinning in pride and Jonghyun was just smirking up at him.

"We're playing strip poker." Kibum explained, showing him the card in his hand before glancing back at Jonghyun and continuing flatly, "And he's about one deal away from being ."

Jonghyun's eyes flickered onto Kibum for a moment before he turned his attention back to Jinki with his smirk widening, "Not like you'd complain though, right? Since you're in love with me."

"Hyung!" Taemin pushed Jonghyun over for saying such things before his flustered face turned back to his elder brother, "Would you like to play with us next round, hyung?"

As tempting as it was to play with Taemin, who had called him with endearment again, Jinki turned and continued on his course to the kitchen, "You three have fun, but make sure you clean up the stains after you finish."

That had Taemin calling after him in disbelief, but Jinki only grinned to himself at his words, finding himself in the kitchen before too long. After a split second decision, he grabbed some eggs out of the fridge and worked to cook himself some breakfast. After peeking out of the kitchen, he ran to a corner of the kitchen and opened one of the cabinets, pulling out his secret stash of coffee beans, brewing himself a fresh pot and smiling all the while. Jonghyun wouldn't be pleased, and his manager would scold him for hours, but he decided it was far too late to go back and greedily drank his beloved beverage until the coffee pot was almost empty.

Just as he was draining the rest of the coffee down the drain, he heard shouts of protest coming from the other room, and with a roll of his eyes, Jinki decided against checking on them and headed right back to his room instead. Eventually, he started to rearrange his room just to pass some time. He had nothing better to do, and no music to edit for the day, so it was all he could do. Of course, there was always the option of playing strip poker with the other three, but he was never comfortable with showing his skin.

When he checked the time again, Jinki let out a loud groan because it was just after 4, meaning he had hours left before it was time for him to go to sleep. Right as he reached for his bedsheets so he could wash them before using them again, the door swung open, and he turned to stare at the intruder in surprise. Jonghyun was fully clothed, thankfully, but it didn't stop the irritance the swept across Jinki's features as he stared back at the nonchalant male.

"Don't you know how to knock?" Jinki asked, letting go of the bedsheets to cross his arms over his chest, "What if I was ?"

"Then I'd take advantage of you." Jonghyun's voice was light and teasing, and he wasted no time before jumping onto the elder's bed with his arms crossed underneath his head.

With a light scoff, Jinki shoved him over and laid down next to him, only a small amount of space separating their bodies as they both looked up at the ceiling, "Why are you up here anyway?"

"Things were getting a little heated up between Kibum and Taemin." Jonghyun said in amusement, though Jinki could still hear some resentment as he spoke of the other bodyguard. Jinki didn't ask, however, because that was their secret, not his.

"But why are you up here?" Jinki asked again, turning his head to look at the side profile of his bodyguard, who was sporting a lazy grin on his lips as his eyes shut in relaxation.

"You interest me." Jonghyun said simply, and Jinki almost choked on his air in surprise because that was the first time anyone had called him such, and it felt weird coming from Jonghyun, "You act cool and distant to make yourself seem like the bad guy; yet all you do is nice things for other people, especially for Taemin."

Jinki shot the male an incredulous look, though Jonghyun never turned back to him, "He's my brother. I have to be nice to him."

Finally, Jonghyun opened his eyes and looked back at Jinki, and the elder was lost in brown pools of pain, joy, endearment, admiration, and over all, envy, "What about me, then? Or Kibum? Why are you nice to us?"

"Taemin likes having you two around." Jinki shrugged, forcing himself to pull his gaze away from Jonghyun to instead focus on the ceiling again, counting all the bumps he could see in the paint.

Suddenly, the weight on the bed shifted, and Jinki glanced over to see Jonghyun had to his side to look at Jinki, as if he was trying to decipher some sort of code written on the elder's body. It made him feel self conscious, of course, since most people usually overlooked him and focused on Taemin, so Jinki did what he thought of first and to his side, catching Jonghyun off guard, especially when they ended up a mere few inches away from each other.

"How about you?" Jonghyun's tone was gentle as he asked, almost at a whisper, "Do you like having me around?"

He didn't ask about Kibum, it was just him and Jonghyun, as if Jonghyun thought they should be the only two people in the world. Jinki's thoughts spun in his head because it didn't feel as if he'd just met Jonghyun recently, but like he'd known Jonghyun since they were both children.

"Yeah." Jinki's tone was just as soft, and he quickly closed his eyes so he wouldn't have to see Jonghyun anymore, because he suddenly felt like he didn't want to breathe.

Which would have been better for him, since breathing allowed Jonghyun to smell his breath, changing his gentle tone into his infamous blank one, "You were drinking coffee."

"You ruined such a nice moment." Jinki groaned inwardly, but before Jonghyun could scold him, Jinki wrapped an arm around the younger male's waist and buried his head against Jonghyun's shoulder, "You can hide it later. Let's sleep for now."

With a light chuckle and a shake of his head, Jonghyun awkwardly pulled the blanket over them, making sure Jinki wasn't jostled in the process, "Jinki. One day will you tell me what happened between you and Taemin?"

Jinki felt himself tense at the question and a frown formed on his lips. He figured the managers would have already told the bodyguards what happened so that they could stop potential fights from breaking out, but it apparently wasn't so.

"Then will you tell me about what happened between you and Kibum?"

Jonghyun tensed under his touch much like he did when he was reminded of his fued with Taemin, and Jinki rubbed soothing circles into Jonghyun's to let him know that he wasn't going to force an answer out of him if he didn't want to share anything willingly.

"Kibum and I still have some things to work out between us." Jonghyun was going around words and Jinki knew it; he didn't want to say anything that could possibly cause Jinki to form assumptions about the pair, "I'll tell you after we do, though."

"I'll hold you to that." Jinki answered, his voice drifting off to a peaceful sleep, but when he awoke, Jinki had found himself to be alone in his bed again, as if Jonghyun hadn't been there to begin with.

He was going to brush it off and go back to sleep, but a loud crash from downstairs had him jolting up from his bed and he practically flew down the stairs to make sure everyone was alright. Apparently, Jonghyun and Kibum had somehow broken a vase, and were then standing apart from each other by just a few feet. Jinki didn't know where Taemin was, but he was hoping his brother was far away because he'd throw a fit if he saw his favorite vase had been broken.

The two bodyguards didn't seem to notice they had broken the vase, for they were standing and glaring at each other even when Jinki showed up beside them to inspect the damage they had caused. Ignoring the two childish bodyguards, Jinki hurried over to the closet and brought back a dustpan and brush, dropping himself to his knees to carefully sweep up all the glass shards so no one would get hurt by the expensive vase's remains.

"Jinki." It seemed that was when Jonghyun had realized that the elder had gotten there, and with a sigh, Jonghyun slowly crouched down and reached for the dustpan and brush, though Jinki ignored his attempts and worked around his hand to diligently pick up all the scattered glass, "Jinki, let me clean it. I'm the one who broke it."

He eventually caught Jinki's hand and forced it to stay still until Jinki wordlessly agreed and passed the cleaning equipment over to him before his eyes looked over to Kibum. The younger male was staring at the two of them in what seemed to be understanding, his lips curving into a thoughtful smile. Just before Jinki could ask about it, however, he heard Taemin calling from upstairs and hurriedly pushed the unsuspecting Kibum up the stairs.

"If he comes down and finds his favorite vase broken, things will quickly become ugly." Kibum seemed convinced by this and bolted up the stairs with Jinki smiling after the reaction. When he turned back, Jonghyun had stopped cleaning and was looking right at him, and Jinki tilted his head in confusion, "Why are you staring at me?"

"I was trying to wait until you realized your finger is bleeding." Jonghyun replied, his gaze then switching to Jinki's right hand, and the elder pulled his hand up to confirm Jonghyun's observation.

"It's nothing." Jinki assured him, yet he walked off to find the first aid kit Kibum had used for him before to bandage the small cut on his palm given to him by the vase's shards. As he glanced down at his bandaged hand, Jinki couldn't help but shake his head in disbelief, "What a day off I've had."