Chapter 5

Inevitable Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seung Yeon turned away from Baekhyun and lifted the silicon case filled with brownie batter. She opened the oven door and pushed in the case into the oven. She closed back the door and turned around, Baekhyun was reading through the recipe book. Seung Yeon instantly became alert and protective.

"Careful, it's very-"

"Fragile," Baekhyun finished the sentence. "There's so many recipes. All of this from your mom?" she nodded and rested her elbows on the bench, her chin in her palm. Baekhyun closed the fragile book and met Seung Yeon's eyes. "You miss her," he stated, it wasn't a question, it was the truth.

"Yeah," Seung Yeon said and she pulled herself away from the position and begun to clean the baking mess she made. "The brownie should be ready in fifteen minutes. So, by seven-thirty-five, it should be done. "Seung Yeon suddenly said and glanced at Baekhyun. "You can munch on a cupcake if you want. It's in the fridge. It taste nice when it's cold, especially the cream," she smiled.

"Do you want one as well?" Baekhyun asked as he walked up to the fridge.

"No,thanks. I've already eaten one, it's for you and dad and the Oppa's" Seung Yeon shook her head strongly, Baekhyun took one cupcake out and looked at Seung Yeon with wide eyes.

"But you made it! You should eat it!" he said with his brows up and he shut the fridge door gently before walking to sit back down. Seung Yeon could only chuckle. "And you only ate one!" Seung Yeon shrugged.

-

"You really don't have to get me there, it's risky for you, you still don't have your full license," Seung Yeon said worriedly. She was holding the container full of chocolate brownies in her hands and a Lee Cooper brown sling back, hanging over her right shoulder. It was eight-fifteen P.M.. Seung Yeon had changed into pieces of warm clothes that included some jeans and a black duck-down puffer jacket and a white muffler around her neck that also covered and nose.

"Does Mari live around here?" asked Baekhyun who was ready to send Seung Yeon off. He was wearing a dark blue puffer jacket and jeans.

"She lives two roads away, quite near though," replied Seung Yeon. "I'm just gonna walk there,"

"You're gonna get cold as well as the brownies," protested Baekhyun.

"No worries, brownies taste nice when it's lukewarm, that's what Mommy said, and I'm wearing a warm jacket and muffler, I'll see you later, Baekhyun," Seung Yeon waved a small goodbye and she went out the door before Baekhyun could say anything, he quickly slipped on his winter boots and went out with his book in hand. He saw her not far away before running up to the girl, he slowed down when he was close to her. Baekhyun sighed and he was glad that it wasn't windy.

"Seung Yeon,' Seung Yeon twitched on the spot when she saw Baekhyun beside her, he appeared like a spectre.

"Why did you come?" she asked slowly.

"It's two roads away, it's really cold and your father wanted me to drive you there, might as well walk you there too. Aren't you cold?"

"Thanks. Well, not really," Seung Yeon smiled. "You?" Baekhyun shook his head and tucked his book inside the big pocket of his winter jacket. He blew his breaths, puffs of air would repetitively appear.

"Your father seem protective over you, is he really?" Baekhyun suddenly asked.

"Yeah, especially Mommy passed away, he always, always told me to be careful around the oven or stove," Seung Yeon chuckled, thinking of her father who works with the police, specializing in drugs, the Korean version of the DEA. "He even told me to marry someone who doesn't smoke, let alone drugs," Baekhyun let out a laugh.

"Hah! Right, he works with the police," Baekhyun nodded his head and looked down on his shoes which were scraping the concrete path as he walked. It was a habit, and then, silence.

They continued to walk to where Mari lived in silence, smoke evaporating in the air as they breathed. Baekhyun tucked his hands in his pockets to keep them warm and begun to hum a song, Sam Smiths "Let Her Go". Seung Yeon glanced at Baekhyun, he was leisurely humming the sorrowful song. Baekhyun continued to hum the song until the end of the song and at the same time, they arrived at Mari's place. Seung Yeon rang the doorbell, both of the being's outside the door heard quick footsteps coming towards their way. The door opened and Mari stood before them at the door.

"Hi!" Mari rhapsodized with an excited wave, Seung Yeon and Baekhyun smiled back. "Come in, come in!" she ushered them in but Baekhyun stayed back and he looked at Seung Yeon. "I'll pick you up by nine-forty-five, Seung Yeon," said Baekhyun and was just about to go but Seung Yeon quickly grabbed the hem of his sleeve jacket, Baekhyun turned around.

"You should at least taste a brownie.." she slowly said and took out a piece of brownie and handed it to him, their fingers brushed for a moment when Baekhyun took the brownie in his fingers, it sent goosebumps up the both of their arms.

"Thanks," he smiled a bit and took a bite of the brownie, his eyes sparkling with ecstasy. "It taste's great by the way," And he saluted goodbye coolly after Seung Yeon spoke her words.

"No, thank you, for accompanying me," said she then went inside the house after she watched him go, it was warm and the fireplace was crackling of burning, hot wood. Mari was grasping Seung Yeon's arm tightly when they went upstairs.

"Who. Is. He?" she said the words one by one, her voice filled with curiousity and excitement.

"Just a family friend, friend really," Seung Yeon answered and they went into Mari's bedroom the two other project-mates were there too, Ryu Hyeon and Na Jung, they were both best friends with Mari. They sat down on the floor, forming a circle and Mari's eyes never leaving Seung Yeon.

"But he called you "Seung Yeon" so casually! I've never heard anybody calling you that! I don't know about you family though," Mari exclaimed loudly. Seung Yeon looked at Mari, she knew that she had more to say, Na Jung and Ryu Hyeon were now in the conversation. "I saw you two together today, and yesterday!" she threw her arms in exasperation, Seung Yeon let out a soft sigh, shaking her head.

"It's nothing like that, Mari. We're just plain friends, nothings more that that," explained Seung Yeon, she was rather calm, different from Mari. "Beside, I just met him like two days ago,"

"Then, why do you two come to school together, at the same time, side by side? Today and yesterday?"

"He lives with me, that's all," while Mari was feeling haughty, Seung Yeon was serene like calm cupcakes.

"What?!" yelped Mari. "He lives with you?! Why?!" Mari frowned in confusions while Seung Yeon took out the paragraph written by her from her bag.

"His parents are travelling for some time and they wanted their son to live with my daddy and I. Daddy's good friends with Baekhyun's parents," said Seung Yeon.

"You call him Baekhyun?" asked Na Jung, Seung Yeon nodded. "And he calls you by your name?" she nodded once again. Na Jung's eyes rounded slightly bit.

"For how long is he gonna stay with you?" Ryu Hyeon asked, she was putting out stationary.

"Six months, until the middle of the year,"

"Six months?!" Mari shouted. "Oh my God," she breathed out. Na Jung and Ryu Hyeon stared with shocking eyes. "That's really long," Mari pursed her lips and took out the big coloured cardboards before sprawling them out on floor. "What's his full name?" she questioned.

"Byun Baekhyun,"

"What's his age?" Ryu Hyeon asked as she got to work.

"Sixteen, like us," Seung Yeon pulled Mari's laptop to her lap after asking permission to use it.

"Which class is he in?" asked Na Jung as she helped Mari attach the cardboard pieces together.

"Class B-1," Seung Yeon began typing in the written paragraph. "I baked some brownies, feel ree to have some," all

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter