CHAPTER 8

FIRST IMPRESSIONS adapted from the novel PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by JANE AUSTEN

 

“YOONA UNNIE, SO YEON UNNIE PPALLI!!!” screamed MINAH from the down stair to her sisters. She waits with BOOMI at the living room. It is Sunday and once every week they will go out together for shopping. Girls want to have fun once in a while. In fact, today they plan to check out a new movie on cinema.

Even SO JIN who usually prefers to be at home is happily joining the group. She looks pretty in her new dress which makes the two youngest envious. SO YEON walks down the stairs gracefully in her skirt and simple blouse followed by YOONA who wears a pair of jeans and a chiffon shirt that look very chic with sneakers on.

Suddenly, they hear someone’s steps running towards their direction.

“My dear cousins’, we are you all going to go?” asked him panting nervously.

“We are going out for a shopping” answered SO JIN.

Then suddenly, MRS. JUNG appears,

“KWANG SOO SSI, why don’t you come with the girls?”

Each of them dislike the idea so much, MINAH AND BOOMI roll their eyes and start whispering while YOONA AND SO YEON can just look at each other, Yet SO JIN feels perfectly fine with it.

But KWANG SOO is blooming; he really likes the idea,

“If all my cousins do not mind, YOONA SSI, will you allow me to be your company?”

“Of course, you may tag along, we do not mind but it can be very boring I am telling you” said YOONA kindly.

She notices the youngest glare at her but she cannot do anything if he wants to go.

“I am very good with shopping. I myself quite enjoy it. You know well, I work in a fashion company?” giggles him happily but one will wonder how he can make such an odd expression every time he laughs.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

KWANG SOO never leaves YOONA’s side as they explore the malls and walk in shops and stores. He keeps smiling which appears rather creepy than charming and he will act ridiculously like dropping and bumping into things, and he is after all, a clumsy guy. He causes the girls more embarrassment than they ever expected.

The girls draw attentions enough for their beauty while the man captures more for his uncommonly tall stature.

YOONA is constantly disturbed by his questions and suggestions which she does not need. He claims to be the expert in fashion while wearing a hideous and out of dated coat.

“Trust me; I know the latest trend in fashion, YOONA SSI. I will be a big help for you. You are lucky to have me as a company”

“You are indeed. But again, you work as a manager in LEE Company and you deal with what?”

“I am an accounting manager to be very exact” said him proud.

“Oh, that is why you know a lot about fashion I guess” teases her smiling as she finds it so very funny. SO YEON who can hear her turns back to give her a sign, she tells her not to be so sarcastic to the innocent man.

But YOONA refuses as she finds entertainment in it.

“Yes, indeed, I have been praised by my director, MRS. HYO JUNG, of my ability to recognize good clothes” flatters him to himself.

“I believe you do”

YOONA enjoy this man’s dynamic. He is funnily ridiculous in every way.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“I do not want this color, I want the pink one” cried MINAH.

“But I set my eyes on this first” BOOMI claimed.

They fight with each other over a cute pink dress and no one seems ready to succumb.

“Please, do not quarrel in public like this, you want the world to see how silly the both of you are” yelled YOONA who is ashamed as they draw people’s attention in the shop. 

“But she snatches my dress, YOONA UNNI” BOOMI tries to get a supporter.

“NO, I take it first” insist MINAH

Suddenly, a superbly handsome man appears. He seems to be one of the shop keepers. Yet he is too good looking to be one.

“Excuse me, may I help you” asked him kindly.

“I am sorry for creating such a fuss in your shop, but can we have another pink dress for one of my sisters” answered SO YEON.

To their surprise, the man smiles and it literally light up the place. Even BOOMI and MINAH forget about the pink dress. YOONA seems to be quite charmed as well by his amiable nature.

“I am very sorry but it was the last item we have. But you may get one in the same color but different design. This one” recommend him as he shows them the dress.

“Fine, I’ll take it, will you wrap it please” answered MINAH immediately as she flirts with him showing off her cuteness.

“Okay, wait a minute”

As he leaves, MINAH and BOOMI are ecstatically praising the pretty boy.

“What a very good looking man, he is”

“I never see a more handsome face than his; don’t you think so, YOONA UNNI?”

YOONA can only smile because she actually agrees with it but does not want to really say it. Instead, KWANG SOO who gets very jealous gives his response.

“According to me, he is not so handsome, he is just ordinary. You need to be tall to be called attractive”

But the girls ignore him completely

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“Thank you for visiting my very own shop. I hope to see you girls again soon”

“This is your shop sir. Are you the owner?

“Yes, I am. I run my very own clothing line”

“Wow, how very nice. We will surely come again, your dresses are beautiful”

“Thank you, but I must say it is a very rare thing to see a group of beautiful girls shopping together”

“We are sisters. And we like to hang out on Sunday for little shopping and sightseeing”

“Indeed, amazing genes I believe. May I have the privilege of knowing each one of you and making friendship?”

“Of course, we are very happy to be acquainted with you sir. I am MINAH, here is my first sister SO YEON UNNI, the second, YOONA UNNIE, SO JIN UNNI and then BOOMI UNNIE” introduce her as each of them bow politely.

“And here is MR. KWANG SOO, our cousin?”

“And let me introduce myself, my name is ILL WOO”

“Can I call you ILL WOO OPPA?”

“MINAH A!!!”

“Its fine, I am sure I am older than all of you. If you call me OPPA then I will be so very happy”

Each girl is smiling shyly while KWANG SOO can only snort. He is supposed to be the attraction among them. But it seems like he is living in his own dream.

“We are you all planning to go after this?”

“We are hungry maybe we like to have a meal before we are going to the cinema”

“Oh really, what a coincidence, I just plan to go to have my meal too. Let me treat all of you for a lunch”

“But ILL WOO SSI…”

“I insist, my all new friends, please”

They cannot say no and thus they agree to go together.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

They enter a restaurant, do not phantom to see SANG YOON SSI there who looks so surprised to meet them again.

“SANG YOON SSI, you are here?”

SO YEON is blushing in her place,

“It’s a very pleasant coincidence, SO YEON SSI, YOONA SSI”

“ANNYONGHASEYO, indeed it is sir”

“I just have my lunch with MINHO. There he is”

MINHO looks surprised as he approaches them but then suddenly YOONA witnesses a complete change in his expression when he sees ILL WOO which is quite strange. His face turns red and seems very angry while ILL WOO also appears to be flustered.

YOONA wonders what is between them. And it is more shocking when MINHO walks away and cancels his intention to greet them. Now, it is clearly very odd. It may escape the others as they listen carefully to SANG YOON’ s invitation to his birthday next week but not the quick witted and sharp YOONA.

“So it will be a big party, I guess?”

“Not big, but I hope all of you will come. I will send proper and formal invitation for sure. And you MR. ILL WOO AND MR. KWANG SOO are very welcomed as well. More people more fun, after all” said her cheerfully.

All the girls are very enthusiastic and they send him away with the warmest good bye and thank him for the kind invitation of the birthday party they will look forward to.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

“It is very nice of you to buy us lunch, all six of us”

“The pleasure is on mine. I am very happy to make new friend with all of you girls”

YOONA walks with ILL WOO leaving KWANG SOO alone and feels so very displeased and jealous. They are having fun laughing, joking and talking to each other.

They seem to be fit with each other so well and their conversation flows very naturally.

“Are you and your sisters’ well- acquainted with LEE MINHO SSI?”

“Yes, but not so well since we hardly meet and speak. Actually, it is SANG YOON SSI that we can consider as a close and good acquaintance and a friend”

“Oh, I see”

“I am sorry to ask you this. But I wonder if you know LEE MINHO SSI yourself?”

“I guess you must see it. Yes, indeed I know him very well. We grow up together actually. It may surprise you to see how cold our meeting this afternoon”

“Forgive me, but I did notice it. And MR. SANG YOON, you not at all know him?”

“No, I met him today for the very first time and he seems to be a very good and amiable sort of man, inviting me to his party when we are just introduced”

“Yes, he is. Every one admires him for his good character. And he is not at all like his friend who is so conceited and proud. I hope your equation with him does not affect you at all to come to the party. You are invited, remember. And it will be a very good opportunity to meet again and have fun with us, your new friends”

“I have no intention to hide or to avoid him; after all, if he wants to, he is the one to go and not me”

“Excuse me for meddling, but may I know the reasons why your relationship with him went sour”

“My father worked as the closest aid of his father. He wanted us to live with him in his house and I and MINHO ended up growing up under the same roof. He was a good friend of mine in my childhood, we were quite inseparable. His father was very fond of me. I was like a second son to him”

YOONA is SHOCKED to hear such a revelation but does not utter a word to interrupt him.

“His father always told me to treat MINHO as my own brother and I loved him with all my heart and considered him as a sibling since his father wanted me to. When MR. LEE died, I was there and he told MINHO to take care of me and he even appointed me as one of his company’s successors. But after his funeral, MINHO refused to oblige his father’s last message”

“That is so awful, but why?”

“He apparently hates me. But I only noticed it after his father’s death. It was a long running jealousy and envy on his side”

“JEALOUS? UNBELIEVABLE” cried YOONA.

“Well, his father loved me more than him. And poor MINHO cannot deal with it. He can’t stand me and he always plan to get rid of me as I was kicked out from the house after my dad died”

YOONA cannot believe he is capable of doing such dreadful thing. He is worse than she thought.

“How can he be so inhumane? He is so terrible, so awful”

“It was difficult years from me since I have to struggle from the bottom with no supports and no connections. But right now my condition is improved and it gets better as now I can establish and run my own business in fashion without joining his big company”

YOONA admires his patience and positivity. He can act so happily and cheerfully even though he has been treated wrongly. And she grows sympathy for him more than ever.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“You seem to like him very much” asked SO YEON to YOONA when there are only both of them in the room.

“Who would not UNNI? Just look at him, there is easiness, openness and cheerfulness in his behavior and manner that really suit me so very well. I must tell you that I find him very agreeable and like him very much”

“But what he said about LEE MINHO SSI, I find it very hard to belief. How can a man like him treat other so cruelly when he is so very rich? And especially when he got so good a friend in SANG YOON SSI”

“I believe he knows nothing about this matter. It happened so many years ago. I personally believe ILL WO SSI completely. He gives me names and facts and everything seems to make sense and well-correlated with each other”

“I don’t know what to believe, we just meet him after all. Isn’t it to fastidious of us to trust him completely?”

“If it is not true than let the man contradict it himself. And so far, we have been witnessing nothing good in him to believe that he is faultless”

“I just want to think that there must be misunderstanding between them”

“Oh, my dear sister, I hope I can think of others as good as you”

“And what happens if they should meet at the party. I don’t know what to do, they are all friends”

“I never make a friendship with MINHO SSI, so I will not bother about what he will think if he should see me with ILL WOO SSI. I look forward to our fun conversation again. He matches me so well”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..