CHAPTER 5

FIRST IMPRESSIONS adapted from the novel PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by JANE AUSTEN

Minho walks about his room confidently with only a white towel wrapping his waists down to the tights above the knees. No one is supposed to see him right now but then a sudden scream shocks him to death.

“What the hell!!! What are you doing here?”

YOONA who still needs time to regain her sanity to see such a sight is hiding her face behind a book as her knees touch the floor while bending down, her heart is beating so crazy, and she is both ashamed and afraid.

“I am sorry. I don’t mean to intrude. Please cover up first” begged her, biting her lip.

Minho looks at himself realizing his appearance in the moment then runs to the bathroom again after grabbing his t-shirt and pants. He comes back looking very furious as seen from his fuming expression. He cannot be other than angry.

“Please explain to me. Why are you coming in here without my permission?”

“I understand completely that the blame is on me but I just want to…” said her regretfully.

“Don’t you have some manner?” he cuts.

Her face which is held down all the time now starts to rise up to hear his insulting remark.

“I cannot believe a woman of good breed will come into a man’s room like this?” don’t you think it is very inappropriate?” don’t your parents teach you how to knock? So shameful” continued him. He is yelling at her out of embarrassment because she should witness him semi .

She freezes in her place. She cannot bring herself to utter a word. She knows she is at fault but she cannot bear the insults pointed to her and her breeding. Her expression is changed from sorry to angry.

“You have said enough Sir” she is fuming in red. Do not expect to be exposed to insults like this.

She immediately raises from her kneel and puts the room key to the table and runs from there leaving the man in confusion since she gives no words for an explanation at all.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“Hi, you come. Are you moving? Where were you staying before?” asked SO YEON to see her sister comes to her room with her bag. She wonders to see the change in her and she looks a bit disturbed as she does not smile as cheerfully as she always does.

“Is something happening? You are not in good spirit?”

“No, sister, I am good. I am moving to your room okay?” smiles her weakly not wanting her to worry. But she refuses to answers her and thus finding other topics to talk about.

As a good close elder sister, she knows well that right now her sister is not to be questioned a lot as she in not in a good mood. So she lets her be. She knows she will soon be okay.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Sang Yoon visits the room and Yoon A knows that she should go.

“SANG YOON SSI, I need some fresh air and since you are here, can I leave my sister to your care?”

“Of course, I will be very happy to accompany her here” smiles him blooming.

YOONA winks at her sister secretly and her sister smiles shyly in response.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“How are you? Are you getting better?” asked him very gently. He worries of her health as she is still very weak on her bed, only her face is getting brightened which hints a progress.

“Yes, I guess I am better than before. Still dizzy but soon I will be well again”

“Thank God. I just called your mother telling her that I cannot send you home because you are too unwell to be moved and she gives her consent. But now that you are getting better, I hope you will be able to join the fun as we have planned”

“Thank you, for all your kindness. And for letting YOONA come and also takes care of her arrangements”

“You cannot give the credit for your sister to me. I did nothing on her behalf. My friend deserves your gratefulness more than me. But I am happy that she comes and takes better care of you. Now that you mention it, I think she should stay and I will do my best to make her comfortable here”

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

YOONA goes to the hotel’s outdoor sunken seating in the middle of infinity pool that gives her a good sight of the beach. The sight there at night is very romantic, though not as beautiful as it is in the day light. It is a bit chilly though the fire from the pit is trying to warm her. Yet she finds it refreshing. Sitting there with a company of a book surrounded by candles and entertained by the sound of water and starry sky.

She does not realize that there is a man that is observing at her from the balcony of his room, seems to be quite interested.

YOONA sighs when she remembers what happens in MINHO’s room. She swears she planned to say sorry and thanks him but now it seems to be out of question. She is offended for a second of maybe third time. There is nothing that can make her forgive him if he ever apologize which she thinks is impossibility.

“Though it is my fault, he does not have the right to give me such capital offence” mutters her to herself.

“That awful man has no manner himself, how could he yell at me to correct mine? I wish I did not know him. Oh, I wish I could punch him when he said that, how dare he?” said her throwing her book to the table. Then a voice startled her.

“YOONA SSI, are you okay?”

“I am fine. I just feel a bit bored” answered her embarrassed. She cannot find any other excuse.

“I can understand you. You spend your days and nights in the hotel. You must be bored. Well, I come to tell you that I am very happy your sister is well. It must be because of you. I am glad you come”

“No, she is fine without me because you take care of her well”

“But your boredom here will not induce you to leave right?”

“What? No!

“That is why you should stay until the end, okay? And come back home together with your sister and us”

“But…”

“Please, your sister needs you and we like to have more company to have fun with. We will go to the beach and swim tomorrow, what you say to that? It will be a blast. Though it will be very unfortunate that your sister cannot come” he appears enthusiastic and then sad. 

YOONA has no choice but to say yes. She finds it interesting to go out and explore the island rather than staying at the hotel all day long. But her sister is sick and she feels not so good to leave her. However, she knows her sister will want her to go that why she agrees to come.

After SANG YOON leaves YOONA decides to come back to her room and the balcony man comes in only when he sees the girl leaves the pool.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“What does SANG YOON SSI mean when he said I should thank MINHO SSI on your behalf?”

“What? He said that?”

“Yes, have you any idea? Where were you staying before?”

YOONA tells her everything but her sister seems to be unsuspicious of anything unlike what YOONA would imagine. Her sister is the most innocent heart which will think goodness in everyone. She is grateful for any kind of nice attempt and good conduct.

“It is very kind of him to do such thing. He is not at all like what he is suspected to be. You must have a better opinion of him after this. See, SANG YOON SSI will not befriend a bad guy after all”

YOONA cannot stay silent on what happens between him and her when she moved this afternoon thus tells her everything because there is no secret she keeps from her sister.

“Well, what he did is not to be justified. But I can understand how he must feel. He must be very angry to say all those words. Please do not take them to heart?”

“I am sorry but I cannot think as good as you though I admit my fault. You must not convince me to like him. He did a lot to make me hate him. And I can only be indifferent towards him now. BUT Trust me, I will always like SANG YOON SSI no matter what. I approve of him UNNIE, and as you said, there is no one that can hate a man like him, RIGHT?” smiles her wrapping her arms to her sister’s shoulders fondly.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

YOONA is not so excited to go. She wonders if MINHO will come because she does not want to see him. But since SANG YOON SSI invited her, she has to come and her sister will not like if she refuses his invitation.

“I must bear it” said her to herself very determined to cool herself as she looks at her reflection in the mirror.

“Wow, you are looking so nice?” praises her sister.

“Not as nice as you. I go. Take care. If you need anything text or call me okay?” said her before she goes.

“OO, Enjoy” said her as she nods.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

She headed to the beach wearing a short pant and a comfortable sleeveless t-shirt. Her hair is styled in a bun and she brings a couple of book and a sunscreen lotion with her.

The sun light falls on her skin makes it shining like pearls. There are girls clad in bikinis but her figure can easily defeat them. This summer, the beach is more crowded than usual.

She takes a spot under the umbrella on the deck chair. She plans to enjoy the scenery and the weather but not the water.

“YOONA SSI, you are not wearing your bikini I see? You are not swimming?” asked YOORI who is ready to take a plunge when she sees YOONA takes some books from her bag. One can see that her bikini is very expensive though she cannot do it full justice as she is not so tall a lady to carry it.

“No, I am not swimming. I actually am very bad at it”

“Oh, I see” smiles her insincerely which YOONA can absolutely see. But then a genuine one appears when she sees MINHO and her brother coming their way.

“MINHO SSI…, you are not swimming?” asked the disappointed YOORI.

Unlike SANG YOON who is ready in his swimming trunk, MINHO is very much clothed in long pant and a t-shirt.

“See, you are so unlike people who go to beach. What are you wearing man?”

YOONA turns her head to greet SANG YOON but instead she meets MINHO’s eyes who averts his gaze immediately which YOONA understands as his way of showing anger.

“I never swim in open like this. So you guys enjoy yourself” answered him coolly as he takes his steps to the deck chair second next to YOONA’s place”

SANG YOON takes the deck chair in the middle between them and places his stuff while greeting YOONA and inquiring after her sister.

“She is well when I leaves, thank you”

“But you are not swimming?”

“I have asked him OPPA. YOONA SSI goes to a beach to study, look she brings book with her” She makes a joke on her slyly.

“Please, don’t mock me. I read books that give me pleasure. I do not into study at all. And I do not master the skill of swimming yet, so I don’t think I can play with water”

SANG YOON understand her and then leaves to take a plunge.

MINHO who puts sunglasses and lies down is pretending to sleep when he is actually listening very attentively. Actually he takes a book with him but hides it when he sees YOONA is also busy reading one which evokes his ego. But then he feels bored and decides to read himself.

YOONA from the corner of her eye notices him doing exactly the same thing as her but then shakes her head repeatedly and mutters to herself.

“WHATEVER”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

YOORI observes from afar, YOONA AND MINHO are lying quite near from each other reading books and seem to be having a good time. The common preference in book between these two makes her quite jealous.

She approaches them especially to MINHO looking so determined to show off her appeal. 

She wears bikini to catch his eyes but he seems to be interested only in pages of his book.

This does not escape YOONA’s notice. She always knows how attentive YOORI to MINHO is. Only woman knows what other woman feels. And she is convinced there is fondness or admiration on her side but she is unsure of his.

YOONA looks up her book and sees her come. Something about her way of walking that makes her seem so seductive but a bit vulgar. She is happy she does not wear a bikini especially here.

YOORI tries her best but when YOONA glances at MINHO, he is still very much into his book. She cannot feel anything to YOORI but sorry for her useless efforts for he is not the least interested.

Not getting a look from him, she turns to YOONA looking a bit frustrated. She knows how she will grab his attention.

“YOONA SSI, please come with me”

“But I…”

“The water is not deep at that side. It is very refreshing. You must come. My brother tells me to take you; he promises to teach you swimming” said her sneaking a glance at MINHO.

YOORI is completely right. MINHO’S eyes are on the book but not his attention. And as they go, he puts the book down and takes down his sunglasses looking so bothered.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………