CHAPTER 6

FIRST IMPRESSIONS adapted from the novel PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by JANE AUSTEN

After YOONA left, MINHO sits down and reflects on himself. He sees the key on the table, it’s her room’s key. Then he cannot feel without a deep spark of regret to remember what he just said to her. She has said sorry to him but he just unapologetically mocked her. It was just the act of the moment as he felt so deeply embarrassed to be seen in such appearance. He wears almost nothing and the one to look at him is YOONA which he wonders why it should make any difference to him by the way.

“She must come to return the key” mutters him as he takes the key from the table.

He cannot deny how rude he must appear to her. And he admits that he never sorry before in his life than this. But his ego cannot bring him to come to her and say how regret and sorry he is.

“AAGHHH” grumbles him.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………....

Minho is enjoying the breeze of the night from the balcony of his room and also indulges himself with the scenery of the beach since he gets the best view from there.

To his surprise, he sees YOONA in the middle of the pool reading a book as he looks down. He does not understand why she always appears in front of his eyes all the time. And from time to time, he only grows admiration for her personality, her conduct, and her character. And man, she is a girl with a pretty face to begin with.

He observes her and witnesses everything she does although all the time what she is doing is just sitting and reading and nothing much. He does catch her mumbling to herself which he finds quite cute as he smiles to see it. Then his friend is coming and speaking to her. He wonders of what is their topic of their conversation. When she leaves he finds nothing to give him pleasure then returning back inside his room since he cannot bear the cold night air anymore.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“You must come. Please have some fun my friend. We are away from home. And for God sake we are in JEJUDO and you are planning to spend your time sleeping and hiding in the hotel”

“I am not saying I will stay here. I want to return back home since there is nothing I can do anymore here”

“Go back home. Nonsense, you have friends here to enjoy vacation and you want to go back home? I have invited YOONA SSI to join since you know the more people the more fun and I thought we will have a blast. I am sad enough that SO YEON SSI is sick and now you are leaving”

“YOONA SSI is coming?” asks him interested.

‘Yes, I invited her to join us swimming on the beach today. She said she will come”

After a moment of silent, MINHO finally nods and says “okay, I will come with you”

“Does the fact that YOONA comes makes any effect on you. You are quick with your agreement after such adamant refusal”

“What? No!!! Refused him strongly and it makes him appear angry which startles his friend greatly.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

MINHO wonders why he should be willing to come only when he hears that YOONA will be there. And he regrets his stupidity as he is awkward to meet her after what happens yesterday.

“What are you wearing dude? Where is your swimming trunk?” ask SANG YOON with unpleasant expression.

“I am not planning to swim.”

“Why? You enjoy swimming a lot, don’t you?”

MINHO walks away, not wanting to get bombarded with questions. But he must give up the pleasure of swimming in the beautiful depth of JEJU’s blue because he knows YOONA will be there.

After being seen almost in towel yesterday, he is still embarrassed to expose and sheds his clothes in front of her again.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“MINHO SSI, you are not swimming?” asked the disappointed YOORI.

He shakes his head in response. Then when he looks around he sees YOONA standing next to a deck chair looking refreshingly pretty with her hair tied in bun. She shows off her fair skin by wearing a short pant and a sleeveless t-shirt. Though very skinny, she still looks extraordinary. His gaze must be averted when YOONA turns to look at them and flusters him.

And when he comes near her, she refuses to look at him. And he knows that she must be very angry to him so he held back and creates a distance. He knows only how to be cold thus takes his place and lies on the deck chair putting his sunglasses and tries to sleep though it is quite difficult to do in such a bright, windy and hot place. He sneaks a glance at YOONA to find her reading a book. He himself brings a book with him but is afraid if it looks like he copies her. Yet since he is bored he decides to read himself.

“We have something in common after all” mumbles him with a smirk.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“My brother tells me to take you. He promises to teach you swimming” invites YOORI to get YOONA out.

MINHO’S eyes are popping to hear what YOORI just said. He cannot believe his friend actually said that. He likes the elder sister and now, he wants to teach the little one swimming.

YOONA is blushing to hear the idea. She is shy and not willing to accept the offer.

“But, I…”

But YOORI is sly as she made up things to grab MINHO’s attention since SANG YOON never promise such thing.

She does not hear the excuse and holds YOONA’s hand to take her along with her.

MINHO throws his book and takes down his sunglasses when they go. He suddenly becomes so upset. He sighs as he stands up and follows the girls.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“YOONA SSI, come here. It is very nice here. Come on just try. You will not sink. We will not let you” jokes SANG YOON cheerfully.

 YOONA is tempted to plunge after seeing such clear and transparent water as she can see fishes and corals beneath. And it appears to be shallow and not at all cold as she imagines.

“I really cannot swim though” mutters her as she carefully walks down into the water and gets herself drown up to her stomach and then stops. She is hesitant to continue.

“Come on. Its fine” encourages YOORI wickedly.

She continues until it reaches her neck.

“Wow, it’s very refreshing” admits her.

“Of course, I guess you can play now with YOORI. I will take a rest and later will swim again, need some water” excuses SANG YOON.

YOORI pouts as now she should spend her time watching her swimming. The fact that she dislikes her is enough to make her reluctant to do so. And now, seems like she becomes her rival as far as LEE MINHO is concerned. She looks around but cannot find him everywhere.

“I thought I will have fun” mumbles her angrily.

She approaches YOONA who is enjoying herself with the new experience.

“YOONA SSI, come I have a better spot than here for you to try”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

This side of the beach is not at all crowded. Only two or three people are seen around. It is indeed more beautiful since there is more variety of corals seen from the surface but it is deeper and YOONA is unsure it will be safe for her.

“Come on. It is very nice. Try out” invites YOORI as she takes the plunge.

YOONA cannot refuse as she is slowly getting in the water. She has to stand on her tip toe or she will be drowning completely. She is quite nervous but to see YOORI is there, she rests assured of her safety.

She knows she does not really like her but she believes that she will not cause her danger or let her be involved in it. Little she knows that the vicious girl is able to do such dirty act to get her revenge.

YOORI swims her way from there and leaves her alone without her notice.

“YOORI SSI, where are you? Are you okay down there?” asked her full of worries.

There is no answer. She herself struggles to touch the base and stables her body. But she gets so uneasy because she cannot find YOORI coming out from the water for so long.

“What if something happens to her?” mutters her.

After screaming her names so many times and still no answers are heard, YOONA decides to take a look inside the water. She submerses her head and opens her eyes and holds her breath as long as she can. The water is very clear so she can see everything down there. But there is not any sign of her. Suddenly, she slips and her feet are loose. She is drowning completely, drinking the salty water that goes into her nose, ears and mouth at the same time. She struggles hard to swim kicking her feet like crazy but the more she does it the more she sinks deeper.

YOONA looses hope as she finds it very hard to breathe, suffocated. She thinks this will be the end of her.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

MINHO follows the girls but then takes a turn as he does not want to be a of jokes. They will laugh at him for his sudden change as he vows either not to swim or to play.

He finds a spot where there are less people around. At first, he plans to enjoy the scenery but then is tempted to try the water when he imagines how fascinating the underwater world down there. After all, he loves water and swimming so very much. Sure there is no one there to see him, especially his friends and YOONA, he undresses himself and leaves his boxer only then screaming to excitement as he jumps down.

“Magical!!!!” yelled him thrilled.

He explores the sea and its heritage. There is nothing to compare it with. He decides to come back to the land as he is done with indulging himself with the beauty of the blue and he is pretty tired himself.

But when he is almost reaching the surface, he sees a strange figure which draws his curiosity. He is nervous though if he should meet a big fish with sharp teeth but it is different. And as he gets closer he is sure it is nothing like what he imagines. It’s a human, a girl, and she is drowning.

He speeds up to grab and save her. He is afraid if it will be too late since she appears to be unconscious and the water takes her deeper without much struggle.

Only when he grabs her body and sees her face, he knows that it is actually YOONA and is very shocked.

If he is not in the water, he must be soaked in cold sweat, as he is very afraid right now. He is afraid if she cannot be saved. He tries his best to get to the surface as fast as possible. He is shaking right now and his hands are trembling as he takes her with him in his arm dragging her up from the water.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

YOORI comes back to see YOONA. Though she means revenge but she does not want to kill her for sure. At the first place, she does not want to spend time with her because she hates her and she plays a prank on her in her own careless way.

And when SANG YOON sees her resting alone on the deck chair, he asks his sister.

“Why are you here alone? Where is YOONA SSI?” asked him worried.

“I am so thirsty so I take some rest. She wants to play so I leave her” answered her coolly.

“How could you? She cannot swim, remember?”

“OWH, don’t be silly, she will be just fine” rubbishes her.

SANG YOON goes to see YOONA but cannot find her and comes back to her sister.

“She is not there?”

“Oh, I just remember, she plays at that side” answers her calmly pointing to one direction with her finger.

“What the…? How can she play there? The water is too deep?” cried him as he runs to that side of the beach.

YOORI rolls her eyes. She gets upset to be yelled at. But then tails behind her brother. She gets curious when he finds her brother runs faster as if something happens. And when she sees the sight of MINHO coming out from the water carrying a weak unconscious girl on his arms, she knows well that she will soon be blamed for it.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

LEE MINHO’s mind goes blank when he comes out from the water and sees clearly in front of his eyes, the girl he is carrying is not moving. She does not breathe and there is no sign of life. She is very weak and her face is all white.

He cannot think. And then he sees his friend runs to him and asks him what happens which he cannot answer.

“She is not breathing but she is still alive” said SANG YOON after checking her pulse

“We must do something, MINHO YA! Or SHE WILL DIE” screamed him.

YOORI is frozen on her place. She is afraid if she should die because of her but can do nothing to help.

“We must help her breathe MINHO YA! ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME” yelled him to see his friend seems to be very confused.

“What can we do?” asked him blankly.

“CPR!” screamed him. “I’ll do the chest compression while you help her breath from ”

“What? I do not know how to do it”

He sees it a lot on TV but never actually does it himself. He is afraid if he should make mistake.

“Just provide her some air. Blow to . Okay, I’ll do it then”

For whatever reason, he is quick to refuse.

“No, I’ll do it” insists him.

YOORI is burned with jealousy. Though she is worried if SHE really dies but she cannot bear to see them indirectly kiss each other.

“Okay, ready, one two three”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….