CHAPTER 3

FIRST IMPRESSIONS adapted from the novel PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by JANE AUSTEN

There is something about that girl that surprisingly engages him in the most unexpected way. He never thinks of her like anything before. But it just happens to be like this now. There is something about her eyes. They are sparkling clear and very entertaining. He likes to call them fine eyes. And he finds pleasure in enjoying the way they look. And while focusing on them, he finds new change in him.
Lee Minho hates women who indulge themselves in laughing and smiling too much. But this time, he does not understand why he can absolutely admire that girl’s unguarded, natural and flawless laugh.
He calls that girl skinny and sickly before and how it should make him think her not so attractive. But she looks just fit herself in her stature. She is all cheerfulness and very bright though less elegant than any woman he knows. But that does not make her less attractive. In fact, she owns her own charm. And her skin is perfect. The white complexion is not pale but radiant and clear. Its porcelain like texture makes anyone desire to touch.
He is busy mentioning her pluses in his mind while observing her. He does not realize that he might get caught staring at her a great deal.
And when they meet eyes, he got so flustered and spontaneously averts his gaze, worried of what she must think.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Yoori who finds lee Minho is standing alone in the moment is eager to join him. She always has a soft corner for him in her heart though never be able to reveal it to him and even to her own brother and sister.

“I understand now that you must be in agony to be here with such tedious company and boring party” said her with a teasing smile. She expects his quick agreement to this knowing him so reluctant to go to this wedding.
“I think I know what you must think right now” adds her.
“Well, I don’t think so” answered Minho coolly.
“Really, I thought you hate parties?”
“Yes, I did. But that right now, I must confess that I am wholly occupied with some entertainment that a pair of fine eyes can give”
Yoori laughs at this and continues asking, pretending to be normal.
“And may I know who the owner of these fine eyes is?”
“Jung Yoona ssi” replied him short.
This is quite unexpected. Yoori has never thought much of the Jung family and the girls. But now, she cannot help but feel insecure to find Minho has taken a fancy on one of them. Though she believes it must not be an absolute or real interest at his side but still she can’t help feeling uneasy and jealous.
“I am quite astonished really” responds her faking a smile as she leaves.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
“Hi, I don’t know you are here?”Asks So Yeon to see Da Eun there
“I just arrived. I am invited”
“Of course you are.”
“Where is that handsome man that was with you?”
So Yeon is flustered and she does not know how to answer her but before she actually does, Sang Yoon appears to join them. He bows to Da Eun and asks So Yeon to introduce him to her friend.
“She is miss Shin Da Eun, she is a friend and a close neighbor” told her calmly.
“Pleased to meet you”
“Me too, I was looking at you two from here and I must say you both make a smashing couple” teased da eun. She is not awkward at all though they just met.
Both are blushing. Have no idea what to say.
“Please do not tease my sister Da Eun a” giggles Yoona to see them look so uneasy.
“You two are not dancing?” asked Sang Yoon changing the subject.
“No, we don’t have partners to dance with. But you do Sang Yoon Ssi, you must have the pleasure of dancing” again, Da Eun teases him.
“Yes, right. My sister does a bit of dancing and she is pretty good at it. So why don’t you go?” Yoona adds another firing remark.
So Yeon secretly glares at Yoona out of embarrassment while Sang Yoon smiles shyly. He has been planning to take her to the dance floor and now that the slow music played by the DJ is very romantic, he thinks the timing cannot be better.
All eyes are on the beautiful couple when they take their steps on the dance floor. Her height compliments his and they suit each other so well. They both are so shy and at the beginning cannot see each other eyes when he takes her hand and hold her waist.
People are in awe and there is no one that can be happier than Mrs. Jung herself because things seem to work according to her plan.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
“They are so beautiful together” Sighs Yoona
“Don’t tell me you envy her?” Asked Da Eun
“Of course I am. If I should fall in love with a man of that look and that character, I will be very happy and if he should be rich then the happiness will be doubled” jokes her.
“True. Your sister really seems to be in no need of choosing between married for love or for material consideration if she can get him. How lucky she is?”
“But, for me, only when I am deeply in love then I will agree for marriage” adds yoona
“Yes, knowing you so well. I believe you will. But for me, if there is any guy who can provide me comfortable home and good income, I don’t need love to say yes”
“No, you must be kidding”
Yoona and Da Eun attention is distracted when she hears someone laughs so loud that it makes several head turns and Yoona knows well whose laugh is that.
“I should go to find Minah before she ruins our family reputation by acting silly in this very place”
Da eun nods to her lightly. Agree with her.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Yoona spots Minah joking and pulling around with some guys near the bar and is preparing herself to yell at her. But suddenly, she has to stop when someone calls her name.
“Yoona ssi, come here”
It’s Mr. Hong. He is the father of the bride with whom her mother’s nephew is married to. He is the host of the party. Though she meets him only today after the wedding ceremony but he gets along really well with her and her family. They were engaged in a good conversation about his business and he finds her very smart and sharp that is why he takes notice on Yoona more than the others.
She sees him waving at her wanting her to come. Yoona immediately complies and goes to where he is to find him standing with none other than the very proud and disagreeable Mr. Lee Minho himself.
She sighs because she feels she is so unlucky to meet him again but then spreading her smile, wondering why she should be called there.
From the corner of her eye, she can catch the view of lee Minho staring at her in a most strange way which she believes only his way to intimidate others.
“Why don’t you enjoy the party?”
“I am enjoying it sir”
“Then why did not you dance? Look at your sister, she does better than you. You are young and you are supposed to have fun?”
Yoona can only smile to this.
“Even, Mr. Lee Minho here, he is my business partner. He is so young but he seems to know nothing about enjoying party and having some fun. So strange”
Mr. Hong is sounded rather drunk. Minho and Yoona are stealing glances at each other several times. The former tries to be cool with his wine while the later is just impatient to leave.
Given no responses from both, Mr. Hong takes one step further.
“Lee Minho Ssi, I must have you dance and now, please let me present you the very beautiful yoona ssi to be your partner. Isn’t it a very agreeable proposal?”
Yoona’s eyes are widened. She is so flustered by such forced proposal. Lee minho is no difference. He looks so surprised but does not immediately refuse.
“Sir, I am not in mood for dancing. And I am not coming here to look for a partner” Yoona tries her best to refuse politely. She cannot imagine herself dancing with the hateful man.
But to her surprise, Minho opens his mouth not to refuse.
“I will be very happy if you give me the honor of dancing with you”
“Look, my friend does not mind and no girl should refuse him”
“Thank you for the compliment. Lee Minho ssi just tries to be polite but I cannot dance, I am very sorry” yoona bows before she takes her escape from them.
Mr. Hong shrugs his shoulders while Lee Minho’s eyes are fixed on Yoona’s back until it disappears in crowds.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
“What a pleasant night” sighs Sang Yoon. He is fully satisfied with whatever happened tonight in the party.
“Oh, come one my brother, there is nothing and no one that make tonight’s party special as you exaggerate” responds Yoori reluctantly.
“I am not surprised. He was dancing all night with the girl he likes” Minho adds.
“Though I find her family low class and her sisters loud and frivolous, So Yeon ssi is a very sweet sort of girl. I think I do not mind to know her more and she is indeed very pretty” So Hyun comments.
“Yes, she is. I think she is different from the rest of her family and quite elegant. But please do not call the other loud and frivolous my sister, because Minho Ssi finds one of them to be quite special with her pair of fine eyes” teased Yoori with her sneaky smile winking at her sister.
Lee minho does not responds to her as he turns his head looking at the sky through his window seems to have something that occupies his mind.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
“Tonight was amazing. Every one admired So Yeon for her beauty but no one REALLY gave her compliment more than Mr. Kim Sang Yoon himself. Oh, I am so happy” Mrs. Jung rejoices her wining.
“Not everyone, mother” So Yeon refused to be complimented alone.
“Yes, yes, but most of them did. Don’t try to be modest my dear, you don’t need to”
Yoona and her father can only smile.
“And guess what, mother? I think the next news will make you jump from your chair” teased Yoona letting her mother’s curiosity rises.
“What is it? Tell..tell..ppali tell!”
Yoona winks at her sister hinting her to tell.
“I am invited to join their vacation to Jeju Island next week particularly to accompany Yoori ssi because her sister cannot come with her and she does not wish to be alone while her brother will have some business to do”
“Oh my Lord, So Yeon! I love you my dear. Everything really goes as I want. THANK YOU GOD, It will be just perfect opportunity for you to TOTALLY get him my dear. Please do your best. God bless us all. We are saved”
Father rolls his eyes before he leaves the place and the others are giggling and laughing. They all are happy for their sister.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
“You must fall in love Yoona ya. You don’t know how happy one can be”
“I hope I can be as happy as you when I should fall in love”
“I am sorry for what Lee Minho Ssi must say about you”
“He has offended me very cruelly but I must say I don’t take them to heart because he is not so important as to vex me for long”
“But for Sang Yoon Ssi, he is a very good friend. I do not expect him to act so nastily”
“His friend bad behavior does not change my good perception and opinion of Mr. Sang Yoon. So please do not worry”
“And you refused to dance with him?”
“Please don’t blame me. I could not think of dancing with a man that thinks of me as a sickly skinny woman”
“Blame you? No!”
“I just hope everything works well for you and him and for your vacation, please take care. The weather keeps changing and you know how easily you can catch cold”
“Thank you my dear. I wish I can take you along with me”