CHAPTER 10

FIRST IMPRESSIONS adapted from the novel PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by JANE AUSTEN

CHAPTER 10

Minho walks toward a corner to enjoy his wine when he hears MINAH, BOOMI and some other girls talking about SANG YOON and SO YEON who are dancing at the moment. He listens to them very carefully as he gets very curious.

“Look at that rich man, the birthday boy, he will be my brother in law” boast MINAH so proudly and makes the other girls surprised and envy.

“But how can you be so sure?”

“My mother keeps telling us at home and looks he is dancing with my sister only. Isn’t that enough a proof” insists her.

“You must be very happy to have such handsome and rich brother in law”

“Of course, our mother said that we will move to better society once they get married and we will become a respected family and of course he will support our education as well since he is very wealthy” adds BOOMI.

MINHO unfortunately listens to all of this. He looks at his friend and SO YEON and seems to think very hard as he shows his frown. He is determined to do something as soon as possible to save his friend from such a wretched scheme.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“YOONA YA, there is something I want to tell you”

“What is it?”

“I have asked SANY YOON SSI about ILL WOO SSI. He said he does not really know exactly the problem between him and MINHO SSI but he is afraid that he is not a good man”

“And does he know him well himself”

“Not really”

“Then he must know him from MINHO SSI and you know he is his friend at the end of the day, he will believe everything his friend said”

“Well, that is what he told me and I cannot be quick to believe that what ILL WOO SSI said is true. There should be evidence and proof. I am afraid if one of them should be judged wrongly”

“But I must tell you that I still feel and think the same”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“How could I not see you yesterday?”

“I am very sorry to disappoint you. But I have a sudden business to do and believe me, it is very important”

“I was afraid that you did not come just because of MINHO SSI was there. But I know it must be not the case”

“How was the party?”

“It was very royal and merry. We all have fun there”

“Did you meet LEE MINHO SISTER there?”

“No, I did not, but I did have some conversations with him”

“You did. And does it improve your opinion on him?”

“No, he is still the same, very proud”

“Actually, his sister is quite similar to him”

“I heard she is a very accomplished and smart girl. Everyone praises her and calls her perfect”

“Indeed, she is. But sadly those praises and compliments change her for worst for she is a very haughty and proud lady though I have not seen her for a very long time”

“I am not surprised if the sister takes after the brother in characters. But I wonder how SANG YOON SSI can be so blind to befriend such a person?

“MINHO acts and behaves amiably towards people who matter to him, who are his equal. He is nice when he chooses to be”

“He is a very bad man that he does not deserve to live comfortably and happily”

“There is an interesting secret I want to share with you, I heard that your cousin, KWANG SOO SSI is working in MINHO’S aunt company and is quite close with the family and knows her daughter, SEUNG AH”.

“Yes, he told us that. What secret?”

“Actually, she will inherit a great amount of inheritance since she is the only daughter. And guess what? She is to be LEE MINHO’s wife. Shocking isn’t it?”

“Really, wow, and I believe she must be a good match for him”

“Well, I am afraid not since the girl is very sickly. She has been weak from the day she was born. Lucky her if she can get MINHO but I am afraid he will not treat her so well considering his bad tempers and character”

“Indeed, but poor YOORI SSI, she seemed to be quite determined to have him, I guess she will be very disappointed if she knows this”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Coming home, YOONA is warmly welcomed by KWANG SOO who waits for her for about an hour in the living room.

“YOONA SSI, there is something I want to tell you”

“Where are the others? Where is mother, father and my sisters?” YOONA gets very suspicious as she cannot find anyone in the house. She does not believe they leave her alone with KWANG SOO.

“They are going out for dinner?”

“And they did not wait for me?”

Suddenly KWANG SOO runs to grab her hands and YOONA almost jumps out as she gets very shocked.

“What are you doing KWANG SOO SSI? Please let go of my hands”

“Call me OPPA, please. Not KWANG SOO SSI” said him eloquently but to YOONA it looks very creepy and scary

“NO! I WILL NOT” cried her.

Then he starts kneeling down on his knees,

“What are you doing sir? Please stand up!”

“I would like to confess to you my dear cousin that it has been days since I grow admiration for you and you only. For you are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen and having the most amazing personality that attracts my attention and affection.  You have bewitched me and I have to tell you that I wish to have you for myself. I know that it may be unexpected to you but I have set my eyes on you since the first time we met. And your mother has told me that she is approved of my idea to propose to you as soon as possible knowing how good your prospect will be if you should be my wife.

“What? Stop it. Are you losing your mind?”

“And since I’ve been advised by MRS. HYO JUNG to marry soon so there will be someone to take care of my money and my home and you will soon graduate yourself. The timing cannot be more perfect. Do not be alarmed, everything will be settled by me and you have to do nothing but to prepare yourself to be MRS. KWANG SOO”

“Please stop it; I am not saying I agree to marry you”

“I believe any woman will not refuse a man like me. I have a good job and home and I am a capable man”

“But I am different from the women you mentioned. I cannot accept your proposal KWANG SOO SSI. I am very sorry”

“No, you must be kidding”

“I am perfectly serious with my refusal. I am honored by your proposal but cannot say yes to it”

The expression in his face is changed completely. He looks angry, disappointed and insulted.

“So you refuse me. And what is reason?”

“I do not love you. And I will not marry someone without love. And trust me, I will never be able to make you happy and I am sure you will not able to do the same to me”

“You must know that my situation in life is…”

“I know it very well, but forgive me, I cannot change my mind for now and I am sure I will never do in the future as well” YOONA leaves the place and runs out from her home to bump into her family who are just arrived. And the sound of KWANG SOO yelling from inside the house is heard from the outside.

“So you are determined not to have me. You will regret it. Trust me; no one should refuse a man like me. You will absolutely regret it”

“What is he saying YOONA? You refuse KWANG SOO SSI’s proposal?”

“I am sorry mother; I cannot agree to marry him”

“What? You cannot refuse him. I have arranged it all. You must accept him”

“NO! Mother, you cannot make me” YOONA gets inside the house and runs to her room

“YOBO, do something, tell her that she has to marry him”

MR. JUNG wants to ignore his wife but he keeps whining and nagging at him that he must do something.

The other girls are watching, some of them laugh to see it while SO YEON feels bad for her sister.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“Oh, dear, KWANG SOO SSI is very angry and he has packed his things. The refusal really gives him a capital offence. Please do something quickly”

“But what can I do?”

YOONA appears in the living room with a frown and a pout. She sits and then releases a big sigh.

“Come on, tell her!”

“What?” MR. JUNG is acting clueless but has to continue to see her wife glares at him.

“YOONA YA, your mother insists that you have to marry KWANG SOO SSI”

“BUT APPA,” cried her

“And she said she will be angry at you forever if you insist to refuse him, is that true HONEY”

“Yes”

“But my dear, I cannot stand the idea of you marrying him. So if you do accept him then I will be the one who will be very angry at you. So now, you have to choose between me and your mother”

“What? What did you say, AHHH, MORI APPO, JUNG SSI!!! Cried MRS. JUNG as she fails miserably with her effort to find a supporter in her husband who betrayed her

“Thank you APPA JANG!” screamed YOONA happily as she hugs his father warmly.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

DA EUN comes visiting YOONA. It’s been awhile since the last time they play and hang out together because both of them are quite busy with each activities.

“I am glad you come. Come in. I’ve been missing you”

“Can we talk in your garden? I like to see some good morning sights from there and the air is very refreshing”

“Hmm, it is very cold though, but okay, why not?”

“There is something very particular that I want to tell you YOONA”

“Oh really, what is it?”

“Do not be surprised. Actually … I am engaged to KWANG SOO SSI”

“WHAT? Are you kidding me right now? It’s not funny”

“I am serious. I really am engaged to him. It may be hard to believe but it is true”

“But why, it’s impossible. How could you accept a man like him? He is ridiculous!”

“Please do not offend him in front of me. He may not be the best of man but then who am I? He is a man with good income, career and he already has a comfortable home and that is all I need. I am not like you. I am not at all romantic and I do not really believe in love myself. What I want is to settle down so that I can make my family happy and their burden is decreased”

‘I do not mean to insult him. I am very sorry. But if he is very lucky as to have you then I cannot say anything but to congratulate you sincerely. Whatever choices you make I will respect them with all my heart. And I wish you all happiness in the world, CHINGU YA”

“Thank you for not judging me. I hope everything will be just fine between us. You are still my best and closest friend and I do not want to lose you”

“So do me”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“I still cannot believe DA EUN marries him. But now to see them in altar, I should slap my own cheeks and admit that it is indeed true and real”

“Everyone is different. You should not blame her for agreeing to marry him and be his wife. After all, we are responsible for our very own choices in life. And though KWANG SOO SSI appears to be ridiculous as you said but he really has a good prospect in life and he is respected. He might be silly but he is harmless” comforted her sister.

They approach the newly married couple who bid farewell with all the family and friends as they will head to their home in Inchon.

“Congratulations on your wedding”

“Thank you SO YEON UNNIE, I hope to soon attend your wedding. I heard that it will not take long”

‘Oh please do not listen to rumors”

YOONA cannot avoid saying her wishes for her cousin.

 “Congratulations KWANG SOO SSI, I hope you will have a beautiful marriage and happy life with my friend”

“Thank you my cousin. I am indeed the happiest man today. And be rest assures no woman will regret to marry a man like me. I will make her the happiest woman for sure”

DA EUN turns to YOONA who just congratulate the groom.

“I hope we will stay in contact after this. And please do come to my house when you are free. I would like to have your company my friend”

“I will, don’t worry. I promise I will come, just wait for me. Okay. Please take care”

“You too, bye YOONA”

“BYE DA EUN A, ANNYONG!!!

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“Look what you do. Now your friend will live a prosperous life with KWANG SOO SSI and you will regret for you may not be able to get a better man than him.

“Please stop it OMMA. There is no point, he has happily married. Can you move on?”

“Now, we only have SANG YOON SSI as our family last hope. But it’s been awhile since we heard any news about him”

YOONA runs upstairs to her room to see her sister is sitting down on the floor with a cell phone on her hand.

“What’s the matter? Why are sitting here?”

“YOORI just called me. She told me that her brother and she went to LEE MINHO’S house to meet her sister. And there, they got so surprised to see her growing up into a very fine glorious woman they have ever met and she strongly believes that there is an absolute attraction between them. She frankly confessed to like the idea of having her as her sister. Isn’t it very clear that she wants me to realize that her brother is not at all in love with me and that she gives me a warning to stay away?”

“Please do not listen to her. She knows her brother is very much in love with you. Though she might want him to marry LEE MINHO’s sister instead. But that does not matter as long as the man’s heart is attached to you”

“But she said he is very attentive towards her. What if he really likes her? Oh dear, I do not know what to say and what to do. He does not call me lately and I am afraid if it is indeed true”

“Please, trust me. Everyone can see how he admires you so. Her sister might persuade him but the truth is, I am sure; he has no one in his heart but you. Do not give up. He loves you”

“I hope you are right. I am helpless. I am so deep in love with him already to forget him”

“Just trust me UNNIE, trust me, okay?”

She nods weakly to her and YOONA feels so sorry for her.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………