CHAPTER 11

FIRST IMPRESSIONS adapted from the novel PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by JANE AUSTEN

 

ILL WOO visits YOONA’s house. He claims that he misses all his new friends and that it is very lucky they all live in the same home.

“It’s Sunday, would you and your sisters not go out for shopping?” inquire ILL WOO cheerfully.

“No, we only did it once in awhile and not every Sunday” responds SO YEON.

“It’s a surprise that you can find our home. I will be very glad to introduce you to our parents” adds YOONA.

“It will be a great honor for me” smiles him to her charmingly.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“What a very good boy ILL WOO SSI is, and very handsome” MRS. JUNG cannot stop praising the new guy.

“That’s true mother. He is a very polite and pleasing man” responds smiley MINAH.

YOONA pretends to be busy reading her book but she actually is listening carefully of what her family said about ILL WOO and to hear praises and compliments on him, she can only keep smiling.

“What do you think of him APPA?” asked BOOMI.

“I find him very nice and very sensible. He is a good talker and I like his confidence”

“Even I have never seen such happy and lively man before. And what a face he got, WANJONG GOMINAM” screamed the enthusiastic MINAH.

“He is now officially my idol” adds her sister BOOMI.

“But he seems to pay YOONA better attention. Am I right in saying this?” guess MR. JUNG spots on.

“Even I thought so, he seems to like her company more than the others and he is been very attentive to her” MRS. JUNG cannot deny though she is still upset of YOONA refusing KWANG SOO.

“What nonsense” deny her while blushing at the same time.

“After refusing KWANG SOO, it will be good if you accept him” teases the father.

“Though he is a very charming guy, his situation in life is not better than KWANG SOO SSI. And how very lucky DA EUN is to marry him? If our daughter is smart enough to accept him, she will have a good stable life for sure now, so we do not have to worry about her future” whines MRS. JUNG.

“We come back to this again?” YOONA sighs.

“and now, we haven’t heard anything about SANG YOON SSI for so long, that he may change his mind and his heart already and does not like SO YEON anymore”

“Mother, please. Let’s talk about something else”

“Everything is cease to nothing. My efforts are wasted in vain”

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“I am very sad that I must disappoint my family. I have lost hope in him. I don’t think he will ever come to me again” SO YEON bewails.

“UNNIE, I know it must be hard on you. But please do not blame yourself” consoles YOONA who feels so bad for her poor sister.

“He is better than any man I know and I cannot pretend to be strong when I say I am fine, actually I am not”

“I hope everything will be just fine. If you are destined to be with him, nothing and no one can stop you to have him”

“That is a good way to look at this matter. I should be more patient. But I will try my best to deal with my broken heart”

YOONA smiles warmly to her sister. That is the only thing she can do to comfort her.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“What? You will go to aunt’s house in GANGNAM?” YOONA is quite surprised to hear her sister’s plan.

“YES, I think I will”

“That is a splendid idea. You will have a good time there with our nieces. I think it will be great for you to have a change of situation”

“You know that is not my only motive” said SO YEON referring the fact that SANG YOON also lives there.

“I do. I hope you will bump into him. GANGNAM is not so big after all”

 “I cannot sit and guess. I have to meet him and ask him directly what he feels about me or I will never be in peace”

“Oh UNNIE, I wish you all the best. And you have my absolute support on this. One should struggle for his or her life and love. I am so proud of you”

“Thank you my dear. I am lucky that I have a very good sister like you”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“I am glad you come to visit me and my family again. It’s been awhile since we have a good conversation together”

“Yes, I miss your company very much. My business faces a downturn and I have been very busy to find a good solution to save it”

“Is it so really bad?”

“Not yet, but it can get worst. Big companies really monopoly the market and a small business of mine will not be strong enough to compete with them”

“Let’s forget about it and speak about more fun stuff since you are here”

“If only I succeed in life and my situation is better, I will be able to ask a woman I like to marry me. It’s been a very long and lonely journey”

YOONA is afraid that he hints his feeling to her. She blushes when he looks at her very affectionately.

“Why? I find your situation is perfectly fine. Why should it be a problem?”

“People look down on me and girls think me not good enough for them”

“For materialistic women, they may think like that but some sincere and honest ones will only think of their heart and feeling, don’t you think so?”

He smiles to her sweetly and it melts her heart completely. Inside her heart, she hopes that he will take her hand and asks her for her love then she will not hesitate to say “yes”.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

YOONA finally graduates from her school of business after 4 years. Everyone congratulates her and rejoice on her new title.

But now, her new resolution is to find herself a good job. And like most of the country’s freshmen, they have to struggle hard to get their dream job. It is also not so easy for her especially in a big city where the competition is so tight and harsh.

Waiting for calls from companies she applies to, she remains free at home with nothing special to keep her busy. Then a call comes but it was from her good friend, DA EUN asking her to visit as she has promised her.

“Okay, I will come as soon as possible”

“Please do. I have something very important to tell you. See you soon”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

YOONA arrives there to be welcomed not only by her friend but also her husband.

He looks very determined to boast about his home and tells her how well his situation in life is. He is enthusiastically shows off every part of his house in attempt to make her regret having refusing a man like him.

“Isn’t our home very beautiful and comfortable?”

“Indeed, it is” praised her politely.

“I am sure whoever marries me will be happy. My wife also does a great job in taking care of it as well. I am a lucky man to have a complete happy family and a beautiful wife. We just need to wait a bit for an addition”

“Please my dear, our guest must be very tired right now. YOONA come with me. I’ll show you your room”

“Take her dear and show her our comfortable and warm guest room” giggles him pompously.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“I am sorry for my husband’s not so pleasing manner to you”

“It was nothing. He is perfectly nice to me”

“It is part of his character that no one can change. So I can just apologize if he gives you offence. Trust me. He does not mean to. It’s only his usual way”

“Not at all, Just CHILL! I am happy that he greets me warmly considering what I have done to him in the past”

“But I must tell you YOONA that I am quite happy with my situation. I do not expect much. I am satisfied to live my life the way I do.

“You still not love him?”

“We do not need love to bear each other’s company in this house. In fact, he is busy with his works most of the times and I am happy to be at home alone and do my homey things. But he does try his best to fulfill my wishes and I am thankful to him for that effort. As long as we respect each other, I think our marriage will be just fine. I do not want to exaggerate the situation and says that I feel blessed with my marriage. But it is a decent happy life and I am content with it”

YOONA cannot help feel so bad for her friend even though she insists that she is fine she knows she deserves better. How she cannot imagine living and spending her entire life with someone she does not love with all her heart. She will not be able to stand and bear it for sure. She thinks she prefers a life of a celibate than to marry a man she has no feeling to. Then suddenly she remembers ILL WO and her heart flutters again. There is a high hope that one day he will ask her to marry him because right now, he is the only man that can make her think of falling in love.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“There is an offer for you YOONA SSI. I heard that you have graduated and that you have taken business field in your study” asked KWANG SOO.

“What kind of offer?”

‘If you have nothing else to do, my husband can take you to his company as an apprentice. You will get precious experiences and if lucky enough, he might be able to persuade his boss to take you in” explained DA EUN.

“My connection with the director will be very beneficial in this matter. But of course you need to show good work. This is a big company. So many people apply but fail to join in. and the salary, my cousin, is very big”

“What do you think YOONA?”

“I thank you for the offer but it will be difficult for me since our home is far from here. I cannot commute in such a distance”

“Well, you may stay here. We do not mind, right my dear?” asked DA EUN to her husband gently.

“Of course, our home is big enough to accommodate you. And my wife will be very happy to have a company” answered him though a bit hesitant at first. After all, the scar of her cousin refusal leaves its mark.

“I will be more than happy to have you here CHINGU”

YOONA hesitates but then she thinks she has nothing better to do then why not try this out.

She finally gives her nod. And she decides she will take this opportunity.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

YOONA is quite nervous. She adjusts her clothes neatly in front of the mirror. Today she will join KWANG SOO to go to the office and meets the director.

He said he will introduce her to MRS. BAN HYO JUNG, who she also knows to be LEE MINHO’S aunt. Her company is a branch of the big LEE Corporation GROUP. And though she often heard praises and compliments on her from KWANG SOO, she cannot help feeling so shaky to meet such an important person like her.

“It is needed since you have to be noticed to gain her attention and it will make your way easier to get your job. But you must do well or she will slam and kick you out before you get in”

“I do not know if I want to work here. I accept the offer since I think I may get great experiences”

“Who does not want to work here? It is the biggest company in the country. But do not be so worry, she will approve of you for my behalf. I am quite her favorite”

They arrive to the director office’s door. YOONA takes a deep breath as the door is opened and she sees a fat woman sitting behind the table. Though all her hairs have turned white and wrinkles are seen all over her face, she still is able to show off her elegance and classy manner.

“Who is this pretty young girl that you take with you KWANG SOO SSI? She is not your wife I believe”

“She is actually my cousin ma’am. And I would like to introduce her to you. She will join us here as an apprentice”

The woman looks at her through her thick glasses. She learns her from head to toe and it gives her a strong sense of intimidation. But she tries her best not to lose her composure and be as confident as she can.

“And what she is capable to do? Is she joining us as a struggling model?”

She must notice YOONA’S tall stature and her skinny yet glamorous figure.

“NO, she graduates from business school and she will do great in marketing and also managing”

“Oh really” there is haughtiness in her. It makes her wonder if all successful, wealthy and respectful people are proud.

Suddenly, they hear a knock on the door and a figure of a tall man appears in front of them all.

At first, she is not sure if she knows him but then when he looks at her, she gets so surprised.

 “LEE MINHO SSI, what are you doing here?” she spontaneously asks a stupid question as the result of her fluster and it makes her embarrassed. Of course, he can be here. It’s his aunt company, no; it can actually be called as his company also. He is the one who should ask what she is dong there, grumbles her to herself inside.

“I come to meet the director. There is something we like to discuss”

“You know my nephew?” asks the curious aunt

“Yes ma’am, we are acquainted” replied YOONA.

 The aunt has a strange look on her face; perhaps she wonders what relationship they are involved in.

“I think we have to go now. Excuse me ma’am I will leave you with your guest, LEE MINHO SSI” bows KWANG SOO to the both of them and YOONA follows behind him. Before she retreats and closes the door she sneaks a look at LEE MINHO who is also gazing at her.

It is so unexpected meeting. She cannot say she is glad to see him. But there is something about the way he looks at her that puzzles her in a strange way. Yet she believes, again, it might be his way to intimidate her.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..