CHAPTER 4

FIRST IMPRESSIONS adapted from the novel PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by JANE AUSTEN

“What, she is ill? Well, there is nothing we can do?” Mrs. Jung appears to be completely unaffected by the news that her daughter brought.

“What? Omma, unni is sick and that is your reaction?”

“As you said she just catches cold as she always does and you told me that Mr. Sang Yoon has said that he will take a good care of her. What else we need to do?”

“At least show some concerns, my dear mother”

“You are worried for no reason”

“What?”Yoona is speechless. She does not expect her mother to be so unfeeling.

“She will not die of cold” said Mrs. Jung nonchalantly.

“But I can never be in peace until I see her condition myself. I must go Omma. I am determined to go”

“No, you don’t. What are you going to do there? You are not needed? They do not ask you to come”

“I am sure she will want me to be with her IN SUCH CONDITION and I will be a big help for her if she should need anything. There is nothing and no one that can stop me. I am really going to go there no matter what” said her adamant.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Yoona cannot ask for extra money from her mother knowing how she disagreed of her decision to go to see her ill sister. And she has no choice but to take a bus which is the only transportation she can afford with her own money. And she is in for a very long journey and a tiring one.

And to make it worst, out of her calculation, the bus stops not at all near the hotel where her sister stays with the others.

The sky is getting darker and the street is becoming quieter. There are few cars passing by and no public transportations are seen at all. She expects a taxi though she is afraid that she might end up finding not even one.

Desperate and tired, she decides to just ask for strangers’ help which she thinks little unwise but she has no other option to take.

She waves at every car but two and three just pass fast until she sees a superbly luxurious car with tinted windows that seems to be ready to stop to help her.

She has no idea who is in there until the owner comes out from it himself.

A tall, very handsome man appears in front of her eyes and she knows well who he is.

“Well, I don’t expect to see you here?”

How unlucky she feels to meet him again. She knows he will find things in her to insult more seeing her condition at the very moment.

“Minho ssi, Annyonghaseyo” bows her reluctantly.

Though she does not want to look at him and shows her face as she is all sweating, but she refuses to be intimidated by him. But realizing smelly and stink she must be, she takes few steps away from him. As she does it, she sees her own reflection from his glossy black car that her overall appearance is very messy.

Though she knows well how she hates him and promises not to think much of him and his opinion, but she cannot deny that she will prefer to be seen by him in her prettier self than this. And he looks a great deal at her, observing her from head to toe, again with the same grief expressionless face.

Without asking much, lee Minho offers her a lift as he is himself is going to the same destination. Inside the car, he starts questioning.

“How do you get here?”

“By bus”

“Alone?” asked him with a sly smirk.

“Yes” little bit offended to see him smile to it.

Minho raises his eyebrows. The girl is quite brave. She is independent, concludes him as he comes to know her better.

Then here is an awkward silence which she cannot help breaking because it feels so uncomfortable though he seems to be fine with it.

“Why are you here sir?”

“I have a business to take care. There is a company conference. Sang Yoon goes first as he plans to have some fun and your sister comes along I heard”

“Yes, she is. That is why I come here. Because I heard she is sick and I come to see her condition”

He just glances shortly and then nods.

Yoona is biting her lip. He is not a most pleasant company to have. He is cold and does not speak much which makes her rather uneasy but she cannot do anything about it because she needs him to get to her sister. And when she is sure that there is nothing to talk about between them, she joins him in silence with no intention to breaking it again, until she soon falls asleep.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Yoona wakes up to find herself on a very comfortable bed of a five stars hotel. She touches her temple and then tries her best to remember what happened last night.

She roams around her room trying to check her things. It takes her good ten minutes to do it because there are more rooms than she expects. And each of them is very spacious and luxurious. Finally she finds them all there placed very sweetly near the sofa. Then she hears someone knocking behind the door. As she opens it, she sees Sang Yoon Ssi smiling at her.

“I just find out of your coming from my friend. You must here to see your sister” asks him friendly.

Yoona is a bit surprised but she tries to act normal.

“Yes. Where is she?”

Somehow, she tries to inquire fast after her sister in order to avoid any information or questions from him on the details of her arrival with Lee Minho, even though she wonders how she got to have her own room and how she got there at the first place.

He escorts her to her sister room which is two level lower. And when she is in, and sees the room, she knows that her room is much grandeur and more plush than this. And then concludes that she must stay in the first class room of the hotel at the highest level. She blushes as she imagines that it must be Lee Minho’s doing. Then she finds her sister on bed looking very weak and she cannot think of anything else again.

“Oh dear, are you okay?” asked the concern Yoona

“I feel so terrible. I am glad you come” answered the sister slowly and weakly.

“I am sorry for not taking care of her well enough” Sang Yoon feels bad.

“No, she gets better care here than at home. She cannot be more comfortable than this. In fact, I should thank you”

“Don’t mention please. I am feeling bad enough for my decision to take her for vacation but only to let her sick. Okay, I will leave you two to freely converse with each other. But you must join us for breakfast at the hotel restaurant”

“Thank you. I will” said her smiling at him.

As his figure disappears, YOONA takes a side near her sister and checks her foods on the side board.

“You have eaten your breakfast?”

“I got no appetite but I have before I am taking my pills. I think you need to have yours and join the others”

“I wish I can have my own breakfast alone. I am uncomfortable around these strangers”

“Please, they are not strangers and they are good people. And you are a lively, brave and friendly a person to be afraid of them”

“I am just kidding. Okay, I’ll go now” said her before leaving her sister.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“Really a funny gal, how could she think of coming here just because her sister is sick?” grumbles Yoori to her brother.

“I see nothing wrong in that. She cares about her sister and that is very admirable”

“And she came with Minho! Very strange coincidence”

“I have not the chance to ask the details from him but I guess they just happened to meet”

“You haven’t heard the staffs going crazy about what happened last night did you?”

Sang Yoon only shakes a head repeatedly, clueless.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Yoona walks down from her room to the restaurant to meet some hotel staffs laughing and whispering to each other. At first, she does not suspect them to talk about her but when she meets eyes with some; she knows something about her has made a topic for these people’s title tattles.

She sees Sang Yoon in one corner with her sister. She is relieved that she has not seen Minho and she hopes he will not join the meal.

“Here” waved Sang Yoon cheerfully again with his charming signature smile.

She approaches them with a polite smile and bows as she takes her seat.

“What do you fancy for your breakfast Yoona Ssi?” asked Yoori tries to be courteous but her smile is too fake to be unnoticed.

 “Thank you” answered her as she reads the menu.

Even in the restaurant, Yoona cannot help but catching some waitresses look at her unpleasantly and then whispering.

“I wonder why, when I came down I saw people seem to find entertainment in me” finally she decides to share her curiosity with the siblings.

“What do you mean?” asked the clueless Sang Yoon.

“They laugh and whisper things that seem to be related to myself”

“Well, I am not surprised. I guess they talk and whisper about what happened last night and the event involved you”

“Me? What is it? I have no idea what happened last night” asked the innocent Yoona.

“Don’t tell me you don’t remember anything Yoona Ssi?”

“I am sorry but I really don’t”

“Well, I do not know what happened exactly but I heard some staffs were gossiping about you who came here last night with Mr. Lee Minho. And he carried you on his arms. And You were said to be unconscious”

Yoona cannot be more shocked, her eyes are popping almost out. She is embarrassed and depressed. She cannot utter a word as she feels like hiding in a hole. Sang Yoon seems to be surprised himself and his expression leaves yoona even more bashful. It seems like everyone think so badly about her. They seem to suspect her of doing something inappropriate. Yoori almost glares to show her displeasure and her disliking.

“It was nothing like that. I coincidentally met him on my way to this hotel and…I was…we did nothing. That’s how I can put it” explained her.

“Why were not you conscious? I am not suspecting our friend, especially faultless Minho Ssi to act recklessly and foolishly, but there must be something, perhaps from your side”

“No, not at all, I was just sleeping…. I did…I really did nothing, I am blameless, believe me and so is he”

“Sleeping?”

“In his car, I was too tired and…, He was just driving on one side and I was sleeping at the other one”

“But how could you sleep when he...”

“Stop it sister. You know we can trust our friend. And Yoona ssi has told us that nothing really happened” Sang Yoon interferes his sister before she says something which can put them in awkward situation.

Yoona regrets how stupid she must look. How could she remain sleeping when he took her on his arms? But she remembers how tiring it was yesterday.

Yoori appears to be far from satisfied which Yoona wonders why. She seems to try hard to prove her guilty.

“I am sorry, I just want to know the truth because not only you, the respectable Lee Minho Ssi is suffered bad gossips”

“I do not mind those people and I do not care what they say” said Minho who suddenly appears before them and shocked each one of the party.

Yoona cannot be more embarrassed. She does not know what exactly happened yesterday. She remembers how smelly and awful she was. And he is the man who once treated her like dirt. She is resolved to pretend like nothing happens and remains thick skinned in front of him, acting as cool as she can and be confident like before. She does not want to be intimidated. She is determined.

But when she catches Minho glances at her and then smiles, her defense is broken apart. She cannot act oblivious anymore.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………...

All the guys go for the conference. Yoori is enjoying her spa .Yoona stays in So Yeon room after the breakfast and takes care of her.

She is there for about five hours sitting near her to help her fetching things she needs and helps her eat her lunch and take her medication until she falls asleep.

Yoona remembers that she has her own room and that her things are still there. Now that her sister needs her no more at the moment, she plans to go.

She is ashamed to call it her room. It was Minho who has arranged it for her, the one man that she expects to hate for his pride and unpleasant nature. But he has been very kind as he was giving her a lift when she went astray and taking her to a room when she was sleeping and picking one most luxurious room she only sees on dramas.

“Maybe he is not as bad as I thought he is” mutters her on her way to the lift as she heads to her room.

The lift door is opened and she is about to get in but then spontaneously stops her step in surprise because she should meet the man, AGAIN.

She stares at him blankly swallowing her saliva and he just glances shortly with his hands on his pockets looking very haughty as always.

“Are you cancelling your plan to take this lift?” asked him impatiently to see her immovable from her place.

She just shakes her head repeatedly and gets on board taking as much distance as possible from him.

Minho notices her strange behavior and knows how uncomfortable she is but pretends to be as cool as cucumber though he feels quite awkward himself to be very honest.

The girl, on the other hand, is busy thinking if she should say sorry or thanks him first for his kindness and help. But her ego makes her tongue goes dry and she cannot utter a word. Yet it will be even more embarrassing if she says nothing knowing that they head to the same level where their rooms are near each other. And there is no chance of her staying there in her whole life if he does not make it happen for her.

After taking a deep breath, she is ready to say it but then suddenly the lift stops and the door is open. He leaves her just like that without saying anything, without looking back.

Everything he does always offends her and she feels like running to scream at him and says that she does not need his help. And that she does not need the room. And that she will move from there.

But there are no guts to do that. After all, she owes him a lot.

But she is indeed serious of her plan to give back the room and moves to her sister’s. After packing her stuff, she goes to the room next door where he stays.

She is about to knock but the door is open. Then she sees a female hotel staff coming out with some laundry. She seems to know her as she smiles slyly at her and gives her way to come in. it must be the gossip. It spreads as fast as the light. But Yoona does not care anymore. She wants to let things settled as soon as possible.

She looks around the room trying to find where he is. The room is similar to hers. But all the windows are kept shut so the room is darker. Then she finds a pile of books taking on business on the table that intrigues her as she is herself a business student. She does not realize that there is someone who is just coming out from the bathroom with only a sheet of towel covering his modesty. And that man is as clueless as the girl about each other’s existence there.