CHAPTER 9

FIRST IMPRESSIONS adapted from the novel PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by JANE AUSTEN

 

“Now I am completely sure that he is bound to you SO YEON A. and in his birthday, you have to look gorgeous. You don’t know if he will give you a surprise on his special day. He may prepare something” said the enthusiastic MRS. JUNG.

“PLEASE my dear darling, do not try your hand on prediction and prevision. Let the girls have fun” dodges MR. JUNG who gets very irritated to hear his wife’s constant iteration.

Then she will go and checks on each one of them.

“Wow, URI YOONA is looking so stunning tonight” praised her to see YOONA beautifully dressed in white with pearl accessories on his tied up hair. Her pink lips compliment her so well and she looks so fresh and ethereal at the same time.

“Though you cannot surpass SO YEON’S beauty, but I must say you look quite extraordinary my dear”

“Thank you OMMA, for your flattering compliment” said him with a smile as she rolls her eyes.

Then she goes to MINAH and BOOMI that has a fight again over dresses. Both want to wear their pink dresses but each does not want to be copied.

“I don’t care, I want you to change”

“No way, I have decided to wear the pink dress since the day I bought it”

“Why are you copying me?”

“You are the one who copies me?”

“Oh, girls, stop it already. Just let MINAH wears hers BOOMI a, you can wear another dress”

“What? But I want to wear it. This is not fair. Mother always takes her side?” cried her running to her room after she sees MINAH sticks her tongue at her.

“MERONG”

Then she goes to SOO JIN who is waiting for others as she never indulge herself in makeup and prefer to dressing up simply and smart.

The last one is to check on KWANG SOO who is also invited to the party.

“KWANG SOO SSI! is there anything I can help you?” asked her loudly from his door.

He comes out looking quite dapper in suit though it looks a bit too ancient for the party as he wears his cute old school bowtie.

“What do you think of my appearance ma’am? Handsome?”

“Oh, you are quite so. You look so fine in your suit” flatters her again. She really wants him to be her son in law and to do any fake praising is nothing as long as it pleases him?

When KWANG SOO meets YOONA down stairs, he is not blinking. He looks a great deal at her and does not hesitate to shower her with praises.

“How beautiful you are looking my dear cousin? You are like a goddess, an angel”

“Thank you KWANG SOO SSI for the compliment. You are looking great yourself” said her returning the praise.

This gives him a great happiness as he cannot stop smiling and blushing. “I am sure we will look good together” mutters him to himself.

They go together with their father’s car and KWANG SOO is the one to drive it. They go in a high spirit and are very enthusiastic. Each one has their own reason to look forward to the party.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

It is already very crowded. They invite so many guests and most of them are coming from illustrious family and are known to be business relations and partners.

It is a very huge compliment for them to be invited among these people. The venue is splendor and the decoration makes it even grander. All people look their best and each one of them behaves so elegantly.

They park their car among luxurious ones. Though feeling a bit inferior, they are determined not to embarrass themselves. 

But they are worried for they come with the clumsiest man yet KWANG SOO is not at all afraid, he claims to be accustomed to this kind of event in his office thus give them an air of relief.

They are in awe of the party as they walk in. they do draw attentions of some people who are present as they wonder who these girls are and that they have never seen them before. And they find them all very amazingly stunning.

“HI, ANNYONGHASEYO, thank you for coming. I was so afraid that you will not come” greet the birthday boy looking in joy to find the girl and all her sisters.

“I am sorry we are a bit late. But of course we come. You have invited us to your big party, we are honored” answered SO YEON who looks so gorgeous in her white long gown.

“Oh, hi SO YEON SSI, I am so happy to see you. What do you think of the party?” join the pompous YOORI and her sister.

“It is very grand”

YOONA looks here and there trying to catch a glimpse of ILL WOO, she is dying to meet him though she is not so sure if he will really come.

She does not realize that MINHO keeps staring at her from the upstairs. He cannot ignore her especially because tonight she looks extremely beautiful.

“YOONA SSI, are you looking for someone?”

“NO, I am just in awe of your party splendor. It is very merry”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

SO YEON joins YOORI and SO HYUN, MINAH AND BOOMI are nowhere to be seen, SOO JIN finds a corner and sits there alone feeling so tedious. She never likes parties and she regrets why she should go.

YOONA explores the place trying to find someone she is yet to see. Her hope is still high. But then it fails her as there is no sign of him at all. But to her relief, she meets her friend, DA EUN there.

“I know he invited you. You should come with us before”

“I am sure you car cannot afford to load me in your car with all the other five six people in it”

“Isn’t it a great party?”

“Yes, and he seems to care to please your sister, he invited all her friends and family”

“No, he is very amiable in general. Though I must confess that he really does his best in order to steal her heart”

KWANG SOO who has been looking for YOONA after taking two glasses of wines finally finds her. He approaches both of them ecstatically.

“I’ve been looking for you and you are here” smiles him shyly. DA EUN has a confused look to see him and apparently wonders who the man is.

“Let me introduce you to my cousin DA EUN A. it’s YO KWANG SOO SSI and this is my dear friend, SHIN DA EUN SSI”

“Nice to meet another beautiful friend of my cousin”

“Me too sir, thank you for the compliment” she looks at YOONA meaningfully. The unique man sure is given her quite an impression.

“Excuse me, but would you like to have a dance with me YOONA SSI? My favorite song is being played at the moment”

“But I am not a good dancer”

“Please…”

“Okay, but for this song only”

YOONA is a bit shy but she cannot refuse the man since her mother told her to be nice to him since he is a guest and a family. As she joined the others on the dance floor with KWANG SOO, she catches the sight of MINHO standing near the bar looking at her .and to her surprise, he smiles at her so animatedly. But YOONA is in no mood to return it and chooses to just avert her gaze. She has a suspicion that he might be smiling to see her and her silly partner awful dance since KWANG SOO keeps messing around.

She wishes him to go as soon as possible because she hates to give him entertainment to laugh at. But from time to time, she only finds him keep staring at them. HE even does not move his position until he sees her leaving when the music stops playing.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“It is very shocking. But are you sure it is true?” DA EUN cannot believe when YOONA told her everything she knows from ILL WOO about MINHO.

“I am sure it is. How can he be doubted when he told every circumstance and event in great details and knowing how disagreeable and hateful MINHO SSI is I believe all he said and …”

“YOONA…” DA EUN cuts her words as she sees MINHO walks towards their direction.

Both are quite surprised and flustered to see his sudden coming. But YOONA is reluctant to greet him amiably and politely as she is still upset that ILL WOO really does not come up and she is sure that MINHO must be the reason behind it.

He bows to the both of them and then turns at YOONA who hates to face him,

“YOONA SSI, may I have a word with you? There is something I need to talk about”

As shocking as it sounds, YOONA who does not intend to say yes cannot refuse him since she fails to find a good excuse.

“Well, yes…”

“Not here, I need to talk alone with you”

“Oh, yes please, I will leave, you may talk” offers DA EUN sensibly.

“Sorry DA EUN a”

“KWENCHANA, well meet again later” winks her naughtily at her, make her glares.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

MINHO is silent for awhile seems to be unsure how to begin the conversation. YOONA refuses to help him out. If he wants to talk to her he is the one to break the ice and not her.

“Are your family in good health?”

“Yes, they are. Thank you”

“And what about you, after that incident, I hope there is nothing to give you pain?”

“No, I am completely fine”

“I am glad to hear it”

 “You enjoy dancing I see” asked him smiling sincerely.

“Not much” responds her short.

There is a long pause between them and YOONA cannot deny how uncomfortable it is. The awkwardness is in the air and she must escape it since he does not look like he cares to find another topic.

“We met you at the restaurant last time. But you did not care to greet us” teases her.

“I am very sorry if I appeared so impolite. I have my reason not to approach and greet you and the others”

“Oh, really, I believe you do” nods her meaningfully.

“You are acquainted with ILL WOO SSI, I see”

“Oh yes, we just met that day and made a friendship. We shopped at his store and he offered to treat us our lunch”

“Indeed, He is a very charming person and he gets along well with new people. His friendly nature is commendable”

“True. He is a very nice and great friend to have”

“I cannot agree more, but I am not sure if he is equally good in keeping a friendship”

YOONA snorts to hear it and then adds “maybe he is just unlucky as to lose his friendship with you”

“Pardon me?”

“But I cannot expect him to pay such a huge price. Now he struggles hard for his life but I cannot say he is to be pitied because I think he becomes stronger and better. And I really admire that”

MINHO is silent.

“You told me once that it is not very easy for you to forgive someone. And how poor the person who should suffer your HATRED”

“I do not understand why are asking me these questions?”

“I still am not be able to find out your true character and I hope to know it by drawing conclusions from your answers to my questions”

“How important it is for you to know my true charaters YOONA SSI?”

“Not much, but I keep hearing things about you and it confused me”

“I may have not been able to explain anything in attempt to make myself appear agreeable in your eyes. But I understand that you do not really think so well of me from your way of guessing my real characters”

“I do not know what to say. I know very little of you and I should not try to guess anything if I can help it”

“I hope you are not quick in deciding my characters to be so bad. Since the first day we met we never really try to know each other well. At the moment, our impressions may not give justice to us”

“But, I am afraid that there will be no other chance for us to know each other better than this MINHO SSI?”

“If you say so then I have nothing to add. I promise you if there is another opportunity, I will try to fix your opinion about me, but for now, I must leave it to you to think of me they way you like it, and now please excuse me?” he leaves with a disappointed look in his face. YOONA feels a bit bad since she behaves a bit rude to him just now. But still his proud manner leaves her disgusted.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“I hate him. It is very uncomfortable to talk to him, you know”

“Oh come on, YOONA YA, do not let your admiration for ILL WOO SSI take control over you. He comes to you and politely asks for your company. He gives you great compliment and for a man of his rank, it must be a rarity. You should be honored”

“Honored?” snorts her. “He is the most hateful man I have ever met in my life”

“And also the richest and the most handsome one, I suppose” JOKES her and they will giggle and laugh together.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

“Who is the man you are talking to YOONA SSI” asked the jealous KWANG SOO.

“He is LEE MINHO SSI. Why?”

To hear the name, KWANG SOO is rushing to find him.

“Wait! Where are you going?”

To her surprise, she sees KWANG SOO bows and greets MINHO with utmost politeness.

“Sir, I heard that you are the nephew of MRS. BAN HYO JUNG. It is my great pleasure to meet you sir, I am very closely connected to your aunt family as…his favorite employee”

The enthusiastic KWANG SOO must swallow a bitter pill as MINHO does not really care for what he said and HE leaves him after asking his name and he must smile sourly by himself and gets embarrassed in front of so many people.

YOONA cannot help but sighs heavily from her place.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………